Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 14

Old 12-21-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I went to Mall o America once, so hugh! Loved the toboggan ride!

Attended a Xmas party at my Italian friends In BeanTown...kind of dragging this AM. Watched people get drunk and sac ridiculous ! Embarrassing to think I once behaved like that! But grateful to God,and you guys that I can wake up the next morning pround of myself....
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi,

Oceanlady, I think it's more a case of "hometown grumbling" for me when it comes to the Mall of America. It's just so doggone huge. And I wasn't pleased with myself for putting off Christmas shopping. There's a new L.L. Bean store there so I had to head out there to buy a couple items I could have purchased online (and saved a little money). So the grumbling was also directed at myself.

The other grumbling is that my family is notorious for not giving any suggestions or ideas for gift-giving! I'm kind of left to my own devices there. I love them all dearly but they're also sort of nitwits about gifts. I've written down and emailed the one thing I want for Christmas -- a book about the famous Storyville district of New Orleans. It's long gone now, but for about 20 years, it was where they cordoned off a part of the town for sin! It's also said to be the birthplace of jazz. I'm giving it a 50-50 chance, at best, that I'll get it!

So I sacrificed my usual Sunday morning laziness and headed there, arriving just a bit after it opened at 8 a.m. It wasn't very crowded but it sure was getting there by the time I left.

The party sounds like fun. It is nice to awaken the next day proud of ourselves, isn't it!
Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

My baby girl was 42 today! Made her favorite meal! Told her husband and three girls how I was giving her back the same birthday card for the third year! ( she's not one for saving card) they broke out laughing when she opened it!!
Oceanfellow has done a good job of drinking two watered down drives per day. Last night at the party he drank like the others but couldn't handle it...I was so embarrassed by his behavior..thinking today how to handle this. Never go to parties.?, i don't want to ruin Xmas by exploding,although it's very tempting!!! Any advice?
Old 12-21-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi Oceanlady, part of your perception of the way he acts is your ego telling stories, comparing him to others, your own achievement, etc. If he's okay most of the time and doesn't drink every day, I say let him enjoy it. It's always difficult to limit oneself at a party, especially when having fun. Just don't let him drive of course.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks. Great to have your perspective . Whenever this has happened in the past, I rant and rave, just making things worse. I think he is suffering quietly suffering regret and can't figure out why I am not angry!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Sorry Pals, I have not had the time to catch up. We have a new baby in the family. And I am so touched, my son named her after me! I didn't know they were going to do that. I feel so completely honored, I don't even know what to say. She's tiny and beautiful. And her mother is so lovely to me. I'm so blessed. She was born on the winter solstice.

But we're so busy! Christmas! GAWD! The cooking! And my niece is expecting twins and she's down on bed rest and also has a two year old......that poor girl is doing great although I must say her poor house looks like a tornado hit it. But we've managed to keep her fed and she looks like a Mother Earth Goddess. She's so beautiful with her Buddha belly and long glorious hair. She is truly glowing.

Anyway, I'm good. I will read on up the line as soon as I get the chance. I hope you, my unique and precious friends, are well. Love, Elseware
Old 12-22-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Congradulation Else! That is a true honor to have your name carried on for the next generation!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats great Elseware

Busy time of year here guys...hope you are all doing well - Happy Holidays to everyone

D
Old 12-22-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Grandma Else! What a lovely tribute from your son and daughter-in-law! I'm so happy for you! Hugs!

V.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm stealing Grandma Else's thunder by sharing pics of the new tile backsplash! (And, yes, I have some heavy-duty dusting ahead of me now that the job is done.) It's so nice to have this project done. And good to feel this sense of bringing something new and beautiful to my home.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nice Ven
Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

It's beautiful, Venecia. I love the warm colors. I'll bet it was fun picking it all out and seeing it take shape in your home. Ha! The only thing we ever built was a barn!
Old 12-23-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Wow V, it's really beautiful! I ike the red wall in your dining room too
Old 12-23-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Love your colors! Beatiful backsplash !
Old 12-23-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the new baby, Else! What an honor that she carries your name. V, your kitchen looks fantastic. Love the colors and the pattern. It must feel so good to have a spruce up. OL, I don't have any advice about your hubby's drinking, but I'm sorry that it's frustrating.

I am so late this year getting shopping done...just finished today. Haven't decorated for the holiday at all except to put the wreath on the door. Feel kind of hectic because work stuff dragged out longer than usual, but now it's done! Did two loads of laundry today, organized, wrapped some things, got my oil changed, went to library, etc, and now my head feels clearer. The next book for my book club is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...has anyone read it?

Been thinking about setting New Year's goals recently, maybe one each for mind, body, and spirit. And maybe one for keeping the house clean, something like 'clean or organize 20 minutes a day'.

Thinking of you all and wishing you a merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Today we took the three granddaughts Xmas shopping. They had there lists, shopping baskets and an aloted amt. of money . Great fun! Had to counsel the nine yr old a few time. Her taste for parents and grandparents seemed to reflect things she liked , like a paint set and coloring book for Dad! Asked her if Dad would really want that. She was sure he would and she would teach him to paint!
Oceanfellar followed along assisting very helpfully!!! So well behaved climbing out of dog house...ADV, your advice was taken to heart..thank you!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to my dear, dear classmates!

A special greeting to Dee, for being our rock.

To Sean, George, JD and W2R, all my best to you. Remember, the door's always open and the coffee's always on.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Ven

Have a good one guys

D
Old 12-25-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas everyone..

Here it's Christmas evening, and the Filipinos are celebrating with fireworks, lol. Been going on sporadically for a couple of days, but last night at midnight it sounded like I was in a war zone.. haha. From my condo balcony up on the hill I can see a good part of the city and there were fireworks exploding all over.. hundreds of colorful explosions visible at any moment, all over town and into the distance. I truly have never seen anything quite like it. This is a crazy place, lol.. people just love to have fun.

Wishing all of you a wonderful day filled with joy.

Cheers,
Adv
Old 12-25-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Interesting Christmas, Adv.

The holiday went fairly well for our family, considering. I can tell Mom is putting on a brave face. But it was all right and -- oh, me of little faith -- I did get the book. "Empire of Sin." It's really interesting and I have had a hard time putting it down. Am reading about the birth of jazz at the moment -- fascinating!

Take care, all.