Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 14

Old 12-03-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi you guys! I'm so sorry I've been MIA. I have no excuse. V sent me a very kind private message and it made me realize what an arse I am for disappearing.

I am doing extremely well in the anxiety department. Am off the meds and doing well. Focusing a lot on the things I ingest and the effects they have on my body...although I fell off the healthy wagon a month or so ago and am struggling to climb back up.

I rarely have thoughts of alcohol. The odd sort of nostalgic feeling/thought related to the holidays or family gatherings but nothing I really have to work to rid my mind of.

Else, I read your very honest post (in fact I spent about an hour catching up on all posts since I last logged on) and I was very moved. It is amazing what catches up with us after we stop altering our mental state with chemicals.

I have recently found this amazing woman and author named Louise Hay. I think I've mentioned it before but I thought it may be worth mentioning again as she all about negative self talk and positive affirmations. I would strongly recommend each and every one of her books. A real game changer!

Thanks, V, for bringing my attention back to SR.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Interesting couple of days here! My dog had to have his large toe removed due to a large growth on it. Oceanfella had knee surgery today. They now lay side by side in there splints..I pass out medications to each, fix and deliver meals and snacks and provide ice packs to all. Never mind assisting with bathroom runs!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi, All,

Good to hear from you, SheKnits. I'm glad that these days find you're doing well. Don't be a stranger.

Oceanfella and Oceanhound both on the mend? Yikes. Hope that recovery comes soon and fully for both of them!

The lackluster days of winter are upon us here, the light of each day growing briefer for the next three weeks. It doesn't serve me well. I feel a little lonelier, a little quieter than usual. And winter's little hazards: I pulled a leg muscle yesterday and so am a bit on the mend myself. On a better, and much-welcome note, I've been sleeping better lately. Such an improvement helps me considerably -- it's literally been months since a decent night's sleep. Connected to Dad's death, I'm sure. I hope it lasts.

Take care,
V.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Hi, All,

Good to hear from you, SheKnits. I'm glad that these days find you're doing well. Don't be a stranger.

Oceanfella and Oceanhound both on the mend? Yikes. Hope that recovery comes soon and fully for both of them!

The lackluster days of winter are upon us here, the light of each day growing briefer for the next three weeks. It doesn't serve me well. I feel a little lonelier, a little quieter than usual. And winter's little hazards: I pulled a leg muscle yesterday and so am a bit on the mend myself. On a better, and much-welcome note, I've been sleeping better lately. Such an improvement helps me considerably -- it's literally been months since a decent night's sleep. Connected to Dad's death, I'm sure. I hope it lasts.

Take care,
V.
Hi V, I also had trouble with winters in the Northwest. The sun gets so low in the sky this time of year that it doesn't even rise above the large fir trees behind my house, and the darkness is long. I found myself getting depressed the last few years, and not even realizing it, just sinking into into a sort of hibernation mode. Sleeping late, craving carbs, etc. I'm better off here in the tropics, or maybe Arizona, where my brother lives. It was gorgeous, and 80 degree in Phoenix on Thanksgiving. Not very fitting to the season, but good for outdoors activities..

We have a strong typhoon headed our way, with a 75% chance of hitting the Central Visayas, where I am. Selfishly I kind of want to experience it, but realistically I know people will be hurt and property damaged in low-lying areas, so I hope it chooses the 25% option of veering north and missing the Philippines.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Call me crazy,but the sameness of summer and the heat brings me down. I love the build up for Xmas , the early dark restful evenings and best all my vise, comfort food. I am fine till mid feb., then the bleak sameness gets me again.

Adv, do hope bad weather misses you. We have worked for months on our church fair , which is Tom. Weather man says snow , sleet and rain ..OMG say a prayer for us!
Old 12-06-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Ocean lady. I hope your patients or on the mend. What a wonderful private nurse they have!

I'm working a stretch of 12 hour days this weekend on my new ward. Started on labor and delivery a few months ago. Never a dull moment!

We have a Christmas party hosted by the pediatrician tonight bit I may skip out. Attempting to look and be presentable after a 12 hour shift does not sound very fun. Plus it is a wine and cheese party. Ick.

What is everyone else doing this weekend?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi, All --

Just got done renewing my driver's license (wee bit late) and at least this time, the weight is only the smallest of lies. Earlier in the week, a friend I'd seen on vacation about a month after quitting drinking finally sent me some pics of our visit in southern Colorado. "Ugh" doesn't begin. Holy sh*tballs, did I ever pack on the weight drinking. I'd still like to go down one more size but the near-year of counting calories on an iPhone app, exercise and overall wellness have paid off.

Still, deleted all but one of the photos. I'll keep it in case I ever need a reminder. Gawd, as Kadi would say!

SheKnits, I'm sure L & D is never dull! I hope you're enjoying the new gig.

I'm a bit concerned about Adv. It looks like the hurricane may be headed your way, Adv, and a bad one. Please check in when you can.

OK, off to spend some money. May we all have a peaceful, healthy and sober weekend.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Oh, and Oceanlady, yes, I'll call you crazy! I love summer!
Old 12-06-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Shetkit, I was a labor/delivery many years! Welcome to the club.

Today I worked my church fair. Very fulfilling to give of your yourself and very exhausting !
During the clean up, one lovely lady says to me,"can't wait to get home, put my feet up and have a cold glass of wine" the old AV is still alive and well. As I crawled in to my house I did think about that glass, but only for a second...landed on the coach and we ordered chinese delivered.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi V, the typhoon is not too bad here in Cebu.. it lowered somewhat in intensity after making landfall on the islands to the east, and is tracking a bit north, between here and Manila. Unfortunately that's near the track taken by the super typhoon last year that caused so much devastation, so I hope it doesn't cause too much damage. There is still a lot of rain and storm surge. Fortunately there were large scale evacuations in that area. Right now I'm just enjoying the wind and rain. The temperature is cool.. only 77 deg..
Old 12-06-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay safe advbike - and prayers for all my Filipino friends.

D
Old 12-06-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee..
Old 12-06-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that, Adv. We'll be keeping the Philippines in our thoughts and hoping for the best.

Stay safe!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thankful things are OK advbike!

I did end up going to the party for a bit last night. A little awkward at times as these are all new people I'm getting to know. Got a lot of:

"You don't drink?!"

"Aren't you drinking?"

But I didn't offer any info and nobody asked.

The thing I find most difficult is that I don't feel "fun" sober. I have fun but I think people think I'm less fun. Must repeat to self: "what other people think of me is none of my business"
Old 12-07-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I know what your thinking Sheknits, I think I planned many, many happy hours for a excuse to drink heavy. Now I'm not as interested in being with people drinking...it's just not fun any more for me.

We are preparing in the north east for a nor'easter on Tuesday...looking forward to being snowed in and bake cookies!
Old 12-07-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I thought I'd check in. I haven't felt much like posting lately. My mood has not been great. The winter blahs are definitely here too. I'm trying to keep moving but have found myself in bed very early quite often. I remain convinced that there are no solutions for anything hiding in the bottom of a bottle.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon FG

I just posted to someone else about being myserlf in social situations SheKnits.
If people don't think I'm as much fun then tough really.

This is the real me, I love who that is, and I love my sober life - y'know?

D
Old 12-07-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

So true Dee, I like this real person who doesn't need an excuse to drink...

FG, I know how that low place feels and I pray every day not to go back there. I will include you in my prayers.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

The sun is out again here in the Philippines. The typhoon was less intense than anticipated and there were large-scale evacuations, so only 21 people perished, mostly due to the storm surge when it came ashore. Still very sad, but so it goes here in a land subjected to constant battering by the forces of mother nature. I suspect it is one reason that the people here live so much more in the moment. Why worry about things you can't control? Enjoy today.

I'm learning many lessons here.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

On another note, I had my annual physical and labwork while I was in the States over the Thanksgiving holiday. Was pleased to find I had lost 13 lbs since the prior exam last January. From 191 down to 178. I knew my pants were looser but lacking a scale, I had no idea, lol. The cholesterol was better too. Must be from exercising more, and the reduction in wheat products, which I rarely eat here. I know that quitting alcohol didn't make much of a difference, except that it allowed me to make other changes in my life.