Notices

Class of September 2014 part 4

Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Hi. I've been away for a while, but I thought I'd pop back in to say that I'm celebrating my 6 month anniversary today. I honestly didn't think I'd make it this far...a year seems completely doable now. Today, I'm going to eat lots of CAKE. That's the advantage to not being in AA - I don't have to wait a whole year for cake!

I've managed to make an appointment with a new psychiatrist that specializes in anxiety disorders. Hopefully he'll understand my problems better and be able to take over my case.

In other news, I've hooked up with a web company as a contractor...I don't want to count my chickens before they've pecked their way out of the shell, but it could potentially evolve into a full time job.

I'm moving again in April (end of sublet). It'll be a roommate situation, so while that will create extreme anxiety at first, I'm sure that I'll adapt and get used to it as time goes on.

I've lost 30 lbs. since I've quit drinking...I've kept some big pants that used to be one of the only things that fit. Now they literally fall off if I don't hold them up. I'm exercising quite a bit - so looking forward to getting the bicycle out again. Last year, I was too drunk or hung over to go biking.

It's slow, but things are coming together.

It's strange...this morning I found out that my favourite drummer of all time was an alcoholic before he committed suicide. I knew that he had killed himself, but I didn't know he had a problem with alcohol. Now it makes more sense. I'm not one of those people that thinks that everything is a sign from the universe, but this feels like a sign. More motivation to keep going.

Hope everyone is doing well...
Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Hi. I've been away for a while, but I thought I'd pop back in to say that I'm celebrating my 6 month anniversary today. I honestly didn't think I'd make it this far...a year seems completely doable now. Today, I'm going to eat lots of CAKE. That's the advantage to not being in AA - I don't have to wait a whole year for cake!

I've managed to make an appointment with a new psychiatrist that specializes in anxiety disorders. Hopefully he'll understand my problems better and be able to take over my case.

In other news, I've hooked up with a web company as a contractor...I don't want to count my chickens before they've pecked their way out of the shell, but it could potentially evolve into a full time job.

I'm moving again in April (end of sublet). It'll be a roommate situation, so while that will create extreme anxiety at first, I'm sure that I'll adapt and get used to it as time goes on.

I've lost 30 lbs. since I've quit drinking...I've kept some big pants that used to be one of the only things that fit. Now they literally fall off if I don't hold them up. I'm exercising quite a bit - so looking forward to getting the bicycle out again. Last year, I was too drunk or hung over to go biking.

It's slow, but things are coming together.

It's strange...this morning I found out that my favourite drummer of all time was an alcoholic before he committed suicide. I knew that he had killed himself, but I didn't know he had a problem with alcohol. Now it makes more sense. I'm not one of those people that thinks that everything is a sign from the universe, but this feels like a sign. More motivation to keep going.

Hope everyone is doing well...
Old 03-04-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Triple post. Sorry! Website glitch.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

It's Me!! Ejm (got a name change)

Congrats Avice!!! My 5 month mark just passed. Sorry for the inactivity as I know it's important for both me and my fellow classmates.

For the ones who have fell off the wagon ITS OK. You are still with us and still trying, this class is about when we started our journey together so hopefully we will still hear from you all. Don't give up!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hey F&F. I like the new moniker. Better than EJM...I could never remember whether it was EMJ or what - I would have to go back and check.

Congrats to you too! I haven't been on the forums every day because I've been busy trying to rebuild my life, really. It had fallen into an utter shambles. But I agree that it's important to post what we're experiencing this far along. I no longer dread mornings and spend the day obsessed about 'drinking time', wondering if I can get away with morning drinking, walking into the liquor store all shaky and sweaty, feeling tired all the time...etc. Stupid things I did the night before coming back in bits and pieces. I wanted out of that life for a long time, and I have to point out that I tried and failed many times. I think that you just have to get to the point where NOT drinking becomes a habit.

I'm moving in with roommates soon, which will be a challenge - not only because it'll cause anxiety, but because they enjoy a glass of wine (or two) on the weekends like normal people. I have an excuse prepared - I'm just going to tell them that I used to get migraines until I stopped drinking. It might be tough, but at 6 months I feel a lot more confident. I've got my eyes on the next goal - 1 year.

I think goals are important - with drinking and with other elements of your life that you want to change. When I started exercising hardcore (I didn't have enough energy to do that until after 3 months in), I did the same thing with my weight loss goals. I'm no longer overweight, which is a big thing for me. I haven't been in this weight range for 10 years...in 2006/2007, I was clinically obese. I had fluid retention in my ankles at one point because my liver and kidneys couldn't keep up. There's a WORLD of difference between that version of me and this version. It's really pretty incredible.

It is possible to be proud of yourself - don't give up. DON'T GIVE UP, YOU HEAR ME?!?!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
nmd

Just dropping in to say hi! Things are well and I enjoy reading everyones updates. I'm in the middle of rehabbing my bathroom which is... Interesting. Lots of things not done to code by the previous owner (eg ceiling joists cut in half to run the drain)
Old 03-17-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by FaithfulAndFree View Post
It's Me!! Ejm (got a name
Congrats!

your new name makes me think of "moving right along" from the Muppet movie (feeling fancy free), now its stuck in my head :-)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMR5JVo21wQ
Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I've been away too - good to see you guys kicking on

D
Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by nmd View Post

Not really OK where I am, but not quite at the place where I want to get back on the sober train. I made it around 3 months sober but really struggled in my head with wanting to have that occasional drink. I'm trying to get back into some sort of control and not fall of the face of the earth (at least as far as SR is concerned). Thanksgiving (in the US) was my first slip and then the Christmas holidays did me in. By new years I was back to my first hangovers in a long time. Pretty rapid progression from one drink to basically every day. I have it in my head that I can stick to some limits though I haven't yet. I guess I'll give myself until the end of February to put a date on things. Get in control or get sober.
I posted this back in the beginning of February. I gave myself until the end of February to get control and limit my drinking, then March, now into April....

I can put together a few days off here and there, but I'm still binging almost every day, drinking more than I want, regretting it the next day. Same old routine. So, being sober for a little bit didn't reboot my ability to control my drinking. I really miss being sober and how good it felt.

I hope whoever is left in this class is doing well. Avice, haven't heard from you in a while, I hope that's a positive thing and you are are just busy and doing well.

Heading over to the April 2015 class...
Old 07-10-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
nmd

Haven't heard anything in this class in a long time, but I've seen a few you active on SR, and a few have popped in then back out again.

I'm on day 5 today, and I finally feel like I've regained the footing I had last year. I have been active in the May 2015 thread (Yeah, we'll just say May has 66 days in it). I know 5 days isn't a long period, but I just feel a heck of a lot stronger and have been working on my sober plan.

Outside of SR, I'm engaged now and very happy. My kids and step son are all growing up way to fast. Looking forward to spending this next stage in my life sober.

Don't be afraid to check in even if you've been in a relapse. It would be nice to hear from everyone. :-)
Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
nmd

I guess I haven't checked in with this class for a year! Day 13, class of June 2016. My wedding will be in august of this year.
Obviously based on my posting, I've been a chronic relapser and my health has reflectived that. I've been making changes though and making 6/2016 stick.

Well if anyone from 9/2014 decides to check back in, let us (well maybe just me) know how your doing. As Avice said a few posts up....

Never give up!!!