Notices

Class of September 2014 part 4

Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I meant to say congrats to Avice. Great work!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. It is so nice to wake up feeling clear and having energy. Back on track.

nmd so sorry about the migraines. I hate them. Like you said, you become paralyzed and in pain for hours. Throwing up can definitely be part of it. Do you have migraine medication? It's expensive but so worth the hours that it saves. If you don't, I'd highly recommend a trip to the doctor so you're prepared for the next one.

Our fridge was full of leftover beer from the party yesterday, but I had no desire to drink. If I dwell on it and feel guilty, I might drink again, so taking alynn and nmd's advice to just focus on going forward.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
I meant to say congrats to Avice. Great work!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. It is so nice to wake up feeling clear and having energy. Back on track.

nmd so sorry about the migraines. I hate them. Like you said, you become paralyzed and in pain for hours. Throwing up can definitely be part of it. Do you have migraine medication? It's expensive but so worth the hours that it saves. If you don't, I'd highly recommend a trip to the doctor so you're prepared for the next one.

Our fridge was full of leftover beer from the party yesterday, but I had no desire to drink. If I dwell on it and feel guilty, I might drink again, so taking alynn and nmd's advice to just focus on going forward.
I've never had anything resembling a migraine before the past year, just hangovers, so I don't have any meds. I'm 40, so it probably calls for a doctors visit because of the lack prior history to explain what is happening.

I still have left over wine in the fridge too. Grrr.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Safe

D
Old 12-08-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

congrats on 3 months Avice! Well deserving of the Richard Simmons jazz hands!
Sorry for the sickness NMD. I have noticed more headaches the last 3 months. not fun... Hang in there.

Today was literally the 2nd day in the the last 15 days I have had a day at home. travel, travel, travel... back to work tomorrow which is travel. Catching up on the walking dead. It's a twisted show but it suck you in. Filmed not far from my house....

Hope your Monday was good to ya!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hello all. So I've had drama, adventure, holiday stress, you name it - and I have not been as good to myself and my sobriety as I should have been - but after all the drama I'm ready to do this again. I learned, I grew, I survived.

So I invited myself back to this Class because I admire the people in it, and look forward to continuing to grow with you in the weeks ahead.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Welcome back Trying! Yes it's a great group of support here. A few of us, including me, have had our slips. I think the important thing is to not give up! So glad you aren't giving up either!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
One glass or more, it's all the same. The danger is in thinking we can control it. I know i can't long term. Your honest post helped me stick around myself, so thank you.
Yep. It starts with just a couple of drinks, no big deal, I can handle it. And in fact, I can handle it. Then. But the problem is the next time and the next time and then all of a sudden you're driving down the road blitzed in the middle of the night. Not handling it.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. And thanks especially for the Richard Simmons! He is my maaaaaaan. Three months and I'm starting to forget what it feels like to be drunk all the time. I can understand why it seems like a good idea to go back and give it another try...

SAS - I'm really sorry you had a hard time. I wouldn't use the word relapse though. You slipped. If you fell on an icy sidewalk you wouldn't say, "Well, I guess I can't walk anymore." You'd check for broken bones and you'd get back up. So, check for broken brain bones and just keep on going. I think it's an important thing that you discovered - it wasn't as great as you thought it was going to be.

Stress and migranes. Ah, the holiday season. Everyone knows that I don't have any money, so I'm excused from Christmas shopping this year. I don't feel too bad - I was invited to Christmas dinner at a friend's place, so that'll be fun. Will I be tempted to drink? I don't know. Hope not.

TIT (sorry, I had to do that just once - I'll call you Tex from now on) - Welcome back. Coming back and trying again is the best choice you could have made.

Talk to y'all later!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Trying
got any ideas on what you'll do differently this time?

D
Old 12-09-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hello all, still here still sober. Excited to see all the recent activity in our class!!! Let's keep it going!
Old 12-09-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.
Have been really enjoying reading everyone's posts these days. I'm remembering that holidays are upon us. Remember to take good care of yourself. I am finding that if I let myself get worn down I have craving popping up. Sleep well, eat well, don't do too much. That is my mantra these days!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Trying
got any ideas on what you'll do differently this time?

D
Very good question Dee. I think the idea will be to try to avoid trouble before it starts. Just don't take that first one - and the way to avoid that is to stay away from the temptation to take the first one. Go the gym instead of the bar. Enforce a "hard stop" when I drop by a party. So on.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Glad to see everyone's posts. A little depressed lately. The dean has confirmed that there will be lay-offs next year (of adjuncts or support staff or both). I can find another job, but teaching is a huge part of my identity. I still have a slim hope of finding something, but it is starting to sink in that I have all my eggs in one basket, and the basket has huge holes in it.

Liked the ice metaphor, Avice. Hanging in here.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

. Hi safe. I'm so sorry to hear about the ups and downs related to your work. Maybe now is a good time to start looking elsewhere so that if cutbacks happen for you in the future you might have a backup plan? I know from experience that transitions can be so difficult for me and I cannot even imagine the stress that you may be facing right now.

Remember that you were valuable person just by being here on this earth. We are so lucky that you're here with us in the forum. I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope whatever happens next year safe you'll be in a job you love

D
Old 12-12-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome back TryinginTexas! I've learned the same lesson myself. I joined in May and had a few false starts in other classes, but feel pretty solid here in the September class.

Good to here from you ejm24 and GentleSoul!

Tomorrow would be the 90 day mark for me had I not had a drink on Thanksgiving. My life has changed either way. I feel better physically, better in control of my emotions, but also learning my limits as a person. In the past, it was pretty easy to blame a lot of things on drinking, and by all means drinking made problems worse. Life is still less than perfect though, and I have one less excuse to lean on when I mess up. Getting sober, it's easy to think at first that all of your problems will melt away, but of course they don't. It's kind of liberating and scary at the same time.

I still go through the mental battle at times with the desire to moderate, but I know I don't really want one drink. I want a bottle of wine or a six pack, or more. The celebratory glass of wine or beer does nothing but tease and rekindle my AV. Things are 100% easier than they were in the first month though. The first few weeks for me were a day to day struggle to not drink. My daily sober routine is pretty solid now that I don't really even think about drinking outside of triggers. I imagine the power of the triggers weakens with time as well as I learn to let them pass.

Anyway, have a great day and good luck class!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you're doping well nmd

have a great weekend folks

D
Old 12-13-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Great post, nmd. You continue to be an inspiration. I find my AV is more vocal now, but like you said, I would never have just one drink, and I know where it leads me . . . I don't think we've lost all the time we had because it was important to build up strength.

Gentlesoul, that was a very sweet thing to say and definitely made my day.

I have an interview on Wednesday for a job I would be perfect for: teaching at the international college on my home campus. I'm extremely nervous since I haven't had an interview in years. Also, I know that the other adjuncts are applying for the same position (heard this through the grapevine). I've been feeling really low in the self-esteem department lately, so trying to get some courage before then. It comes in the middle of grading final papers and exams and Xmas shopping and packing for our trip. But it will be good to have an idea before Christmas about how it went.

I'm also excited. At least someone is interested at long last. I didn't even get replies to all the jobs I applied for last year. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi EJM! Nice to see ya.

nmd - Yeah, I could never moderate. I don't want the one drink, but the difference after 3 months is that I don't want the 6 drinks either. I don't miss the illness, the insomnia, the drama, the stupid behavior, the slow brain, the waste of money...I don't miss any of it. I struggled for the first couple months too, but it's changing now.

sas - An interview! Well, obv. you know I'm going to pm you, but I'll say a public congrats on the board.

A little update on what I've been doing - I'm volunteering once a week doing something that's a real passion of mine, and I've had the meeting and filled out the paperwork which will get the ball rolling on starting my business. I'm feeling a bit of trepidation because I've never done this before, but now that I'm not a hung over nervous wreck I'm able to push myself to get out there and do something instead of sitting in a drunken heap. It's pretty cool.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Well, here's a way to get your AV to completely shut up -- get the flu! I don't recommend it but the LAST thing you want to do with the flu is drink anything besides Gatorade or Sprite. In every cloud, silver lining, etc. . . .