Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 4

Old 11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I'm not sure if I can do it from my tablet...working on it...
Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

you need java to use chat.

D
Old 11-11-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Had some techy troubles with the ipad, but made it! (That's probably why I couldn't see your message, Venus. Sorry)

Seeing so many of you there put such a huge smile on my face! I wanted to squeeze you all through the screen.

It was motivating to hear such different experiences with rebuilding. I think I need some time to reflect on my own plan. It's like I've made it through what I thought was going to be the hardest part, the initial separation. But I haven't looked much further ahead at what I want my sober future to look like. It feels like I'm just getting through some days.... Right now, that's huge for me though!

Rambling a bit but just wanted to mention that the meeting was something I will definitely try again. If you missed it this time, I hope you'll peek in next time. This whole process is about trying new things, right?

Lotsa love and wishes for happier, healthier days ahead!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I'll try to do the chat now. I just prepped for a meeting tomorrow. On my day off, but after spending a glorious day hiking with my girlfriends. I'm feeling pretty good today.

It wasn't until after I stopped drinking that I realized how much time I wasted just thinking about drinking. I have so many other things to focus on now. I'm doing a research project for my bro, doing more work at work, and planning for my next triathlon season. I'm expecting lots of PRs.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

I was there too, and thought it was helpful to have a prompt to think about. I focus on not drinking, but what next? And I can now think about ways to rebuild. I do try to do that, but framing it that way gives me some structure for some reason.

I think it will help to go to more, but my daughter kept coming around and I had to click to another page! She was in and out, but should have been in bed. Might be a bad time, but I will try again.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

It was great to see you guys there! That was actually my first AA format meeting ever. I'm impressed with how well it works via chat, I wasn't sure how that was going to work. The question kind of stumped me too. I haven't rebuilt my life yet, and I don't really know how I'm going to do it. I was curious to hear what other people had to say, and it was interesting. I'm going to think about that question. It seems kind of complicated, really, rebuilding different parts of my life - family, work, self esteem, plus just the logistical day to day stuff like how I spend my time. Yeah, a lot to think about.

I would love to chat again sometime, either in large groups or our own small private ones. I would have hung out longer tonight, but my daughter had a poo-mergency. When you have a little one, everything stops for poop. *sigh*
Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Welcome to another episode of Briar overthinks everything! I've come up with four areas of my life I want to work on rebuilding along with specific goals:

Family:
-Earn trust by being open and honest instead of hiding.
-Set a better example for my daughter by communicating well with my husband.
-Actually get back a physical relationship with my husband.

Work:
-Be more proactive in coming up with new projects and outreach efforts instead of struggling to keep up with the bare minimum.
-Prove to myself that I am smart and competent again.

Self-care:
-Be more protective of my body by choosing better food and putting some care into it.
-Exercise but in ways that help me mentally like walking and yoga, don't just do it for outward appearance.

Interpersonal:
-Be honest with my friends and family that I don't drink instead of making up excuses or tricks.
-Connect with others when I feel like isolating.

That gives me somewhere to start. You guys have any specific goals?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

I love that Briar!!!

And oh yes, I wanted to reach in and grab you girls for a big cuddle.
I lived in that chat room when I first joined SR, and it is really good to be back.

Although the meeting times are specific (Tuesday and Friday nights 9pm New York time, no clue how else to say that, but I'm sure Dee will come to the rescue ), we can go in any time we want and chat....

I do not think that is overthinking at all Briar: it sounds like a solid, wonderful plan.

I have a list too.
I will post it.

Sorry that I haven't responded to any of your amazing posts today, I'm tired.
I worked and then I went to see the surgeon.
I have a lot to process.

All I know for sure right now was that this was the best possible move I could have made.
He operated on my finger 25 years ago...and he still has all of his records.
All I had to take to the first doctor I saw were my old x-rays.
And TBH, I didn't feel that he was listening to me.

The guy I saw today...he kind of said.....hmmm....I'm not sure I agree with this diagnosis S. I believe as your original surgeon that I have a better insight into this.

It is long and complicated, and I now have to have one more scan from a different angle. But there is hope.

Love and hugs to all,

V xx
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Venus - wishing you the very best! I'm glad you have a doctor who knows your situation, and it sounds like you have some trust in him. I hope he will be able to give you some good news.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the prognosis may be looking a little better Venus

You can use a meeting planner to work out local time from 9pm EST (US) - Like Venus said thats NY time

Meeting Planner – Find best time across Time Zones

D
Old 11-12-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Sorry I missed the meeting time zones hay Nevermind loved reading about it. Not thought about anything other than not drinking today umm. There's my problem again very good at starting things never really think about finishing them or long term goals kinda a go with the flow girl. This will be a challenge I can be very easily lead and distracted. Normally just when I feel good confidence up a little something happens and I press my self destruct button.

Anyway must get back to work will pop in soon hope you all doing good.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

It will get better tiredofme.

I never finished anything either, but this time is going to be different.
We can do this.
We can do it together.

V xx
Old 11-12-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Someday I would like to join in on the chat, I have Never done it before. The concept of rebuilding is interesting and got me thinking if that is a piece that has been missing for me. I always focus so much on not drinking, and then naturally I handle life better because I'm not drinking but have I ever really worked to rebuild my life as a sober person? Or do I usually just expect things to fall into place magically (because I'm not drinking) ? Something to think about...

Tiredofme, between drinking, and dieting and exercise commitments I begin yet rarely stick with, this is a problem for me too. But this time can be different.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Venus, sometimes the right doctor can make all the difference, hope this is the case for you

Choppy sleep, but still waking up rested and beyond happy that I am another day sober. Busy bunch of days ahead of me- kids, work, games, appointments. I will be spending time with an ex which I know can be dangerous but gosh I still love him so much. We will see ... I will be careful, promise ...

Have a great sober day everyone
Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

I am now thinking of saying goodbye to my BF forabetterlife.
I love him madly as well.
But continuing to do so has been a major part of my NOT rebuilding my sober life.

What do I want?
The same old crapolla and pain?
Or the chance for a better future....

We all know the answer to that.

Not at all saying this is the same for you love; this is just me being honest about stuff I have not been honest about before. I need to change. I am trying.

V xx
Old 11-12-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Briar, Wow! That's a great list. It sounds like you're ready to open up more to your loved ones and your own needs. That's wonderful! Acceptance is something I need to work on. I'll post my list soon.

Venus, How comforting to work with a doctor that really knows you! Hopefully, this next scan will offer some helpful insight. Sending lots of healthy, healing vibes your way.

Tiredofme, I've got a mental list of projects that I've started and need to finish because I get easily distracted as well. Maybe it's time go put those on paper, something more concrete... Where's my pen?...Ooooh, something shiny!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Venus, fingers crossed for you, LOL.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Good morning
I wish I could have done the chat with you all! Maybe next time.
Brrrrr..... it'd cold here! Off to meditate.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Ugh. Stuck at work while wife just got sent home with a fever. Grrrr
Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Good morning guys.

Venus, that sounds hopeful! I hope this new scan finds a better diagnosis.

Briar, you have some very clear and well thought out goals!

I am so complacent with my life. I do need to set some goals, or have a plan. I just roll with it for now. I used to be a crazy planner, and control freak. I found that caused me great stress and anxiety when I had kids and my father became ill. I had to let go of being so regimented and in control. But, then, it sort of turned my world upside down and I now just live day to day, with rarely a big plan. We even pull together vacations sort fo last minute. My husband is not a bog planner, so it was also part of compromising to be happy together. We both have had to flex a bit in our ways.

I need to find myself and find some sense of purpose outside of raising my children. My whole world is pretty much them right now.