Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 12

Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Congratulations Scooter on day 90!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Great posts from both new and old!

Subtle, poweful evolution of a class making true on the promise that no one becomes- or feels left behind, the recognition that we support one another unconditinally, and that the power of ones words and thoughts, or need to reach out- has nothing to do with the number of alcohol free days.

The leaderhip and humility has been significant and tremendous.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Scooter has 90 days! We'll done! Wooooooohoooooo!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Congrats Scooter!! I am so dang proud of you. Thanks for being here for me/us, too. BUG HUGS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (51.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Fantastic Scooter! Great Job!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Congratulations Scooter on 90 !!!! See you at 100 and beyond very soon !!!! Yayyyyy!!!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Ultra - I just love your posts. They are all so eloquent and poetic! Always a great message too! ALWAYS!

Scooterboo

I'm excellent at writing half fragmented sentences! But you all get the gist I think.

Im on day 5 now and am grateful its Thursday (my one day off form work and school each week) I've been dieting and exercising in hopes that being fit will boost my self esteem.

So it feels like I'm on the road to recovery again after my week long "OK to GO" attitude towards drinking. It did not bring me any major trouble but it didn't bring me any major joy either.

I'm going to clean and study today. We are getting a new fancy Washer and Dryer delivered today too. I'm going to laundry it up!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Scooter- I love your resolve and determination. My hearty congrats on achieving 9-0!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Wow. What a great thread to read over the past day or two! This team is truly a unit. I can feel the momentum, the energy being shared. We are a sobriety seeking entity and it feels great. Whether struggling with a do-over or passing a milestone, we are in this together.

I've been relatively fortunate in the AV department. The bastard still rarely makes a peep. But I'll be damned if I haven't had some emotional ups and downs through this and you guys being here, sharing, has really helped. The job change, house selling, moving, rocky marriage, working on recovery combo is definitely redlining my emotional abilities tachometer. I haven't given a thought to alcohol (couldn't imagine getting through drunk/hungover) but I'm totally ill-equipped to handle this. Years of what should have been life practice were spent honing my drinking skills unfortunately and now, well I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants.

I'll push through (confidence is not my problem). I know we all have our own struggles and mine are not unique (nor are they even particularly tough). I suppose I've just never faced things head-on, sober before. So this is what it feels like.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Ultra - I just love your posts. They are all so eloquent and poetic! Always a great message too! ALWAYS!

Scooterboo

I'm excellent at writing half fragmented sentences! But you all get the gist I think.

Im on day 5 now and am grateful its Thursday (my one day off form work and school each week) I've been dieting and exercising in hopes that being fit will boost my self esteem.

So it feels like I'm on the road to recovery again after my week long "OK to GO" attitude towards drinking. It did not bring me any major trouble but it didn't bring me any major joy either.

I'm going to clean and study today. We are getting a new fancy Washer and Dryer delivered today too. I'm going to laundry it up!
Originally Posted by doingsomething View Post
Wow. What a great thread to read over the past day or two! This team is truly a unit. I can feel the momentum, the energy being shared. We are a sobriety seeking entity and it feels great. Whether struggling with a do-over or passing a milestone, we are in this together.

I've been relatively fortunate in the AV department. The bastard still rarely makes a peep. But I'll be damned if I haven't had some emotional ups and downs through this and you guys being here, sharing, has really helped. The job change, house selling, moving, rocky marriage, working on recovery combo is definitely redlining my emotional abilities tachometer. I haven't given a thought to alcohol (couldn't imagine getting through drunk/hungover) but I'm totally ill-equipped to handle this. Years of what should have been life practice were spent honing my drinking skills unfortunately and now, well I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants.

I'll push through (confidence is not my problem). I know we all have our own struggles and mine are not unique (nor are they even particularly tough). I suppose I've just never faced things head-on, sober before. So this is what it feels like.
Great post Doing! The confidence in your words is inspiring. Thanks
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I love all the recent posts.

You are right guys. Some people I can't simply say 'I am an alcoholic' especially at work (for now) - some great tips on what to say instead.

Determined - I like the 'flying by the seat of your pants' analogy. Sums up perfectly what a lot of us are going through.

Scooter - woo-hoo! Loving 90. Keep going.

This evening I am off to another appointment with the addiction team at the hospital. They have me a week to think over a couple of options they have. I think I am going to take all the non-medication stuff they are offering and see what I can add to my road-path.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

ive told various people different things about my drinking. my family I have told im an alcoholic, also 3 of my closest friends, who have been very supportive which I am very grateful for.

I have told a few people at work it is because liver problems run in the family (which is true), and that I had a scare, and it was enough to put me off (also true), but not quite the whole truth. does that make me a coward?

I also told one other person I was doing it for a bet, as they totally wouldn't understand the truth. they think its a great challenge and wont let anyone tempt me with a drink because they want me to win the bet! again, that's a lie, but a cunning one which has worked out beneficial when at social gatherings.

so im a liar and a coward. but that's what I need to be to be successful in this. I think once I feel more confident and in control, I will be able to admit the truth to these people, but right now, I actually don't want to. I don't want any more judgement in my life than I already have, especially ill equipped judgement from those who haven't a sodding clue what this feels like.

I hope that none of you think lesser of me for this, but you do what you have to do.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post
ive told various people different things about my drinking. my family I have told im an alcoholic, also 3 of my closest friends, who have been very supportive which I am very grateful for.

I have told a few people at work it is because liver problems run in the family (which is true), and that I had a scare, and it was enough to put me off (also true), but not quite the whole truth. does that make me a coward?

I also told one other person I was doing it for a bet, as they totally wouldn't understand the truth. they think its a great challenge and wont let anyone tempt me with a drink because they want me to win the bet! again, that's a lie, but a cunning one which has worked out beneficial when at social gatherings.

so im a liar and a coward. but that's what I need to be to be successful in this. I think once I feel more confident and in control, I will be able to admit the truth to these people, but right now, I actually don't want to. I don't want any more judgement in my life than I already have, especially ill equipped judgement from those who haven't a sodding clue what this feels like.

I hope that none of you think lesser of me for this, but you do what you have to do.
Pink I don't think you are a liar nor a coward !
What you are doing is assessing your situation based on the context (people) and telling them what they need to hear to keep you from drinking! This is a great testament to how much you are willing to do to stay sober. This says a lot (of great things) about your seriousness and passion about staying sober!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hey Pink

No, none of that makes you a coward or a liar. I think it's brilliant! They are great reasonings all of them. And you are 100% right that each of us has to make it work as it's right for us. I think you are doing wonderfully.

It's a huge step, once said you can't take it back (you said that to here me you wise owl!) I think you deal with it as you want to and what's going to keep you comfortable and progressing :-)

So, I'm just sitting down to watch tennis. I know you don't watch, but are learning which is so cool. But you should check out Mr Federers serve!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

phew. *massive exhale
london and chris thanks guys. I needed to here that. when I re read it to myself I cringed about the porkies ive told, but I need to protect myself whilst im vulnerable.

thank you both for your endless encouragement, you both have helped me so much, and I am eternally grateful. I hold a lot of respect for you, im following in your footsteps guys.

special thanks again for getting me through the wetherspoons test a few weeks back x

London, I remember saying that, thank you for reminding me of my own advice, sometimes we are all to ready to give, but not listen to ourselves. it true though, it really is a big thing to say, you really need to mean it and be sure before you say it out loud. I guess im not quite sure yet.

Other half has a science documentary on so tennis is a no no at the mo, but you're quite right, I do need to check out the experts! let me work on my serve a bit more so I don't feel completely useless when I watch that and realise just how poor my serve actually is!!!!

Im studying ( clearly not very well as im on here lol)

thanks guys

Much love and BUG HUGS x
Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the well wishers on Day 90.

Pink, I PM'd you my thoughts - - You should be proud of yourself, not worried about anyone else or what you say to them.

Have a safe, happy, sober night everyone. I am off to a town meeting to try to convince them to plow our street - - We pay high taxes, but they claim it is a private development. Why is it private? because they won't vote to make it public, so they don't have to plow! SERIOUSLY!!! We have a neighborhood association with a chairperson/treasurer who collects an annual fee from each of us to plow the streets. The entire development was completed about 20 years ago, and shortly after that the developer started the application to become public streets,then went bankrupt. This is the FIRST time I have gone, althought I have been asked to go many times, but I was too busy drinking by myself.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post

(1) No one who embarks on this journey is a coward.

(2) You are "betting" on yourself- that you can do this and live a better life alcohol free. (We're "betting" on you too!).
Old 11-13-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Thank you everyone for the well wishers on Day 90.

Pink, I PM'd you my thoughts - - You should be proud of yourself, not worried about anyone else or what you say to them.

Have a safe, happy, sober night everyone. I am off to a town meeting to try to convince them to plow our street - - We pay high taxes, but they claim it is a private development. Why is it private? because they won't vote to make it public, so they don't have to plow! SERIOUSLY!!! We have a neighborhood association with a chairperson/treasurer who collects an annual fee from each of us to plow the streets. The entire development was completed about 20 years ago, and shortly after that the developer started the application to become public streets,then went bankrupt. This is the FIRST time I have gone, althought I have been asked to go many times, but I was too busy drinking by myself.
Good luck in the meeting Scooter. So nice to be sober and present isn't it?
Old 11-13-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you're a liar or a coward Pink.

It's simply not necessary to wear your heart on your sleeve, and it may in fact be hazardous/foolish to do so.

I worried about what to say too - the truth was few people were as obsessed with drinking as I was - they simply didn't care if I drank or not

A simple no thank you or a 'no thank I don't drink' is usually more than adequate, I find

D
Old 11-13-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

thanks dee, and thanks ultra. you're right, I guess I am winning the bet, not such the lie I initially thought!!! ha the irony!
scooter thanks for the PM chick x

I am off for a sweet sober sleep before another bisy day at work tomorrow,
I wish you all strength and corage, power, control and peace.

Thank you all for your kindness.
Night team a xxx