Notices

Class of November 2014

Old 11-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Helpimalive, you can do it...
Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Well, after 4 days of feeling very positive about staying sober, I had a surprise yesterday. I'd wondered what the AV is that SR peeps refer to, and finally figured it out. Then yesterday mine showed up! I'd had a good productive day, when an ex-colleague who just moved back to my part of the world messaged me. He said: when are you coming over to Singapore to see me?

I love this guy and all our mutual friends, but all we ever did together socially was get blotto. My persona to these guys is: Cool Sassy Lady who Can Drink You Under the Table. I would love a trip to that city, would love a night out with him and mutual friends, would love to be that me again. I suggested a date next month and started thinking about what to say about not drinking. AV started in my ear and said: well, by then you would be 1 month sober, and you could just do that for one night...why not? Hmm, why not?

Then AV became more insidious and reminded me of the other trigger occasions coming up shortly in my next business trip that I'd already had plans to address: AV's idea: you can be sober the rest of the time, but have fun on those occasions ... why not?

Well, I finally managed to tell AV to shut up. WHY NOT? Because I know where that goes. I will stand firm with everyone. So, thanks to these pages that recommend selfishness in situations like this, I am NOT going to Singapore next month to put myself in a situation where I would be tempted to drink. I will stick to my plans. Forget what everyone else thinks.

On that note, I was thinking of starting a separate thread closer to the time about the triggers that my business trip will have for me ... I have counted FIVE. I work in a high-pressure environment where many people cope by drinking. I will need help handling the triggers, one by one, and sticking to my strategies.

Thanks again everyone. I get so much to reflect on from being on SR and I reckon it all helps.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

We'll be with you every step of the way - the search function is working again Miss P so I recommend you also check other other threads on the business trip topic

D
Old 11-09-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Day 12. Not doing to badly this morning will see how things go through the day. Hope everyone is doing well xx
Old 11-09-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Day 2 - feeling much better today, yesterday was awful. Feel very committed to staying sober.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Day 11 and feeling great. Had a bad food day yesterday filled with chips and candy but did not even think of drinking. Today will have real food, family coming over for brunch. Love spending time with my adult children their spouses and my grandson. They are a great reason to stay sober.

Have a peaceful Sunday everyone!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Quick check in... In a rush as usual. Very grateful to have this SR app, as it allows me access & support 24/7. In the past, I credited my success to being on here. Along the way, life happened and I wasn't able or willing and well... You know what happens! I see a lot of people struggling today, stay close & hang in. I can't always read or reply to everything but having you all in my yoga bag is very comforting.

I have a few classes to teach plus a staff meeting...I'm going to an AA meeting in between teaching and if I can get to mass this afternoon in time I will go. Got some grocery shopping to do in there somewhere too. Have a great, sober Sunday everyone.

14 days today.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me

Day 5 was difficult. It was my first Social Interaction with people I usually drink with.
I was sad and tired. I ended up going into another room and napping.
Bottom line is I didn't drink and I'm grateful.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Good morning. Had a nice day yesterday. Took my daughter to a play at her HS and a few of her friends were in it. Wonderful actors! Then, I made some fresh guacamole and we had some snacks and chips for dinner(some of that was veggies and dip, too, not all junk), and watched Dr. who. I went to bed early. was tired.

I slept well, and was in bed for 8 hours! Having an egg beaters omelette, and may go for a walk. It has turned so cold here, but maybe with a hat and gloves I can stand it. I hate the winter. Oh, I see it will reach 53 today. Not bad. Maybe I will wait and walk later.

Hope everyone is well.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Napping is a great way to not drink! Good for you .
Old 11-09-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Sorry guys. I drank last night.

I had a great day, very busy but I had a chance to relax and watch "Frozen" with my 3-year-old niece, who is just the cutest little girl. I took my older son (10) to a birthday party at 4, and it was too far away to go home, so I went shopping instead. I wandered around Nordstrom...too crowded (thinking about wine later)...went to another store (wine, wine)...finally and deliberately went to World Market to get "candles" and maybe something sweet. I went back and forth on the wine forever, but finally bought a bottle. Came home, poured a big glass, started at it, let it sit there for a while. Dumped it out. Immediately went and poured another glass, and that was it for the bottle.

I didn't even enjoy it. I am realizing that I don't really WANT to drink. So what did I learn? I need to be VERY watchful during my "danger zone" of 4-8 p.m. I'm starting to realize that 5-6 p.m. is the worst.

Back to Day 1, but I'm learning and changing. Tonight I will be close to home in the evening and will NOT drink.

Have a great sober day, everyone!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Jo, you describe the feelings so well. My process is very similar, as is my time of day for it. Glad you are back here and learning from it. Hugs, friend.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
JJ9

Sunday without a hangover I LOVE IT!!

Day 9

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Day 7 feeling like Heaven!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day Four

Starting day four now. Didn't sleep good last night so feeling a bit fuzzy this morning right now.

Work was crazy busy yesterday from the moment when he opened the front doors until the moment I left. That was good because it enabled me to earn the rest of my late rent money and still have some left over. But I was pretty stressed for a while there, trying to stay caught up. I finally had to just stop myself in the middle of everything and take a minute to breath and calm down, remind myself that I'm good at my job and that it was all going to be ok.

Went to a very inspiring meeting last night. Topic was finally admitting to ourselves that we really were an alcoholic. There was a lot of emphasis on all the crazy stuff we tell ourselves to rationalize our drinking. Reminded me a lot of myself and also of a lot of the suffering I see on a daily basis on this message board. Heard a lot of good tips and thoughts on surviving early recovery and also saw that there were a lot of people in the room that were in the same shape as me.

Plan for today is the same as yesterday. I'll have to be extra vigilant this evening because I'm off tomorrow and that's the excuse I used last Sunday evening to buy a bottle of wine. I think when I get done typing this, I'll call my folks and see what they're cooking for dinner tonight, maybe invite myself over if it sounds appetizing.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I am in the August class but starting over on day 1 today. Would it be cool if I joined y'all? This seems like a great group.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Good morning - no drinking for this bug last night! Feel happy. Taking it one day at a time. Happy Sunday!

Bug
Old 11-09-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi Christina course you can, welcome to the November class X
Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lighteningbug View Post
Good morning - no drinking for this bug last night! Feel happy. Taking it one day at a time. Happy Sunday!

Bug
Good work bug! X
Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Thanks.