SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of October 2014 Part 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/349224-class-october-2014-part-3-a.html)

venuscat 10-30-2014 02:39 AM

I went to the doctor.
Some years ago, I had a notation put on my chart that I was not to be prescribed addictive meds.
So....the doc said the only way I can get any medical help is to go to detox.
Hmm. That's not an option at this point.

Dad is in hospital. And I have no one to look after the gorgeous fat black cat in my avatar...

I guess I will be alright.
If need be, it's free to get an ambulance for me here.

We are all doing this together...and that helps a lot.

V xx

Dee74 10-30-2014 02:48 AM

I hope it won't come to that Venus - I had some pretty nasty withdrawals but I almost always felt better 4-5 days to a week in...I hope you will too :)

D

Conquest 10-30-2014 03:26 AM

Plansimake, Instead of "selfish", I've told myself that I'm "focusing on myself" for the first time in a long time. Selfish has too many negative connotations with guilt attached. And when I feel guilty about doing things that keep me sober, then I know it's time to put AV back in her place...that brat. LoL

Kevin, Your post made me smile. Each day gets better in a new way. It's a relief and treasure like no other. Keep moving forward!

Just a friendly heads up...There's a weekender thread that starts on Thursdays. It's full of quality sober time, resources, every day happenings, and all other sorts of entertainment. It's helped me get through the last couple of weekends. I hope to see you there!

Make it a beautifully sober day, SR peeps!

Conquest 10-30-2014 03:32 AM

Hi Venus, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so rough. It's a horribly unnerving feeling. It helped me to take a lot of long Epsom soaks during the first few days. And walking seemed to help with the jitters, just kept moving. Stay close to SR, hunny bunny. I hope you're feeling much better very soon.

countrygirl2014 10-30-2014 03:39 AM

Welcome all the newbies!!!!
I agree with you conquest, selfish has a negative tone to it. I've called the past month healing, me time you name it.
Eat what you need to, sleep when you need to, make it all about you. It IS all about you right now. Just don't drink/use!!! Things will start to level out. When I learn more, I'll share more.
I am going through a poor me phase right now which might be a monthly mood thing going on. I'm pretty much ok with not drinking but "no one wants to pay attention to me" and "no one, not even my sponsor wants to bother with me"
Poo.
Conquest...u are awesome...just saying

venuscat 10-30-2014 03:42 AM

^^^ Gotta agree that Conquest is awesome. :)

Hello countrygirl ~ so nice to meet you.
And we care, we can be bothered...just saying.

Self-care, not Self-ish.
That's what we are doing here.
It's so important if we want to heal.

Love and goodnight to all of you,

V xx

tiredofme 10-30-2014 03:43 AM

Hope you be OK Venus

I think I have known my relationship with alcohol has not been healthy for years some months been better than others allowing me to believe in a false security that I can handle it, that somehow I was in control.

Looking back how wrong was my thinking it's really got me in a strong hold where my whole life 'functions' around it. I have had enough I have seen what it does to people I want out before I slip further into this horrible addiction.

I have tried what seems like a million times to quit I last a week or two then tell myself there you go no problem you can quit whenever. Ahhhhhh

So first challenge getting through this weekend then finding ways to cope with situations I would normally turn to drink for which is just about everything. I have seen this written time and time again I need to work on me. I just have no idea what that really means or how to start I think first I have to learn to like myself not sure I ever have.

luvmygirls 10-30-2014 04:24 AM

Hi all! Day 2 here. It felt great to wake up without the guilt of drinking the night before. I haven't had a hangover in months and my low point of drinking was in the middle of August, so instead of focusing on "not feeling bad" I am thinking about "feeling better emotionally" if that makes any sense. Hey, whatever works, am I right? ;) I hope everyone has a great day.

luvmygirls 10-30-2014 04:27 AM

Wow plansimake, I can totally relate to this: I am tired of knowing deep down what I want and letting my addiction make me unable to achieve it.

MavisTheFairy13 10-30-2014 04:44 AM

Hi guys :) on day 1. Haven't had chance to read all the posts here yet will try to catch up later

tiredofme 10-30-2014 04:50 AM

Welcome Mavis :-)

countrygirl2014 10-30-2014 05:05 AM

Hi Mavis, josharon! Welcome back!

snowbunting 10-30-2014 05:18 AM

Mind if I creep in here before the end of the month too? I've been lurking for ages, but I was feeling a bit shy because I've joined pretty much every class since May, and have dropped out of each one, and really didn't want to keep repeating my mistakes. However, I'm making a real go of it this time, and have all my tools in place. I'm on Day 21. Hi :)

I really hope you feel better soon Venus. I hope your gorgeous black cat is giving you extra love at the moment. I have a black cat too, his name is Percy, and here is a mahoosive picture of him (seriously guys, sorry about the size!)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...573/percy9.JPG

Percy says: keep up the good work everyone, you're all doing fabulously well :D

Sparkos 10-30-2014 05:42 AM

Hi all, wow there have been some great posts over the last 24. People reaching out and getting loads of support, people sharing battles won, milestones reached and great advice being meeted out left, right and centre.
JP123, MavistheFairy13, Snowbunting and Mirage74, welcome. I think you've stumbled upon a great class of Octsobers here!
I can't add anything useful to the advice that's been given to those that are struggling at the moment other than to NEVER give up. Find ANY way of getting through without giving in to your AV.

KEEP THE BEAST AT BAY IN HIS CAGE :pokey::pokey:

As for me, I'm doing alright thankfully. I know I have an addictive personality, so one of the key things I have to work on is balance. In the past I have thrown myself wholeheartedly into anything that takes my interest only to get jaded with it after a time and give up on it and move onto the next thing. I suppose I crave that instant gratification that all addicts crave. I want it and I want in NOW.
I realise that the true benefits of complete abstinence and sobriety comes after, what seems at the beginning of the journey to be, quite a long time away. In reality, of course, and over the length of one's lifetime, it's just around the corner.
Some here who know me will know that I have been uber positive in the beginning and then let it slide so, as I have said previously, let me know if you notice that happening.
I'm not afraid to ask for help this (last) time.
Be brave my friends, we CAN do this.

venuscat 10-30-2014 05:42 AM

^^^^ Oh, oh, oh...he looks so like my girl. But you can see he is a boy...but WOW!!!!!

Welcome snowbunting.

We have an awesome group here, huh???

So onto November. We can do this.
Love, sobriety, togetherness and cats... (sorry if you're not into cats)....who could want more?????

Bed time for me...way late in Oz.

But SO EXCITED to be part of this group.

Nite again,

V xx

Dee74 10-30-2014 05:49 AM

Welcome Mavis :)

Night all
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/bigbed.gif

snowbunting 10-30-2014 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 4985042)
^^^^ Oh, oh, oh...he looks so like my girl. But you can see he is a boy...but WOW!!!!!

Welcome snowbunting.

We have an awesome group here, huh???

So onto November. We can do this.
Love, sobriety, togetherness and cats... (sorry if you're not into cats)....who could want more?????

Bed time for me...way late in Oz.

But SO EXCITED to be part of this group.

Nite again,

V xx

My sentiments exactly, Venuscat - you've just listed all the ingredients for a happy, healthy, furry life :dance: Have a good night's sleep now. You too Dee :)

Arbor 10-30-2014 06:20 AM

Welcome a new sober day! Only a couple more days left of October. Who else is in? Welcome to all the newcomers in the class.

Chiffon 10-30-2014 06:23 AM

Day 7. I keep forgetting about this thread, but still here and sober and loving it :)

CaseyW 10-30-2014 06:50 AM

Day Four

Yesterday was a good, calm, non-eventful day. I worked. That was fine. I went to a meeting. I've started to slowly work out a bit every day and am a bit sore this morning but it's a good sore. I finally started conquering the overwhelming pile of laundry I'd let build up over the last couple of weeks. Got all my work clothes washed yesterday, will have everything else done by the end of tomorrow.

It's good to set myself small, manageable daily goals, gives my life some good, orderly direction. But it's also important that I realize that the ONLY goal that truly matters at the end of the day is STAY SOBER. If I fail to reach any of my other goals, that is NOT an excuse to drink.

Today looks to be a repeat of yesterday, and that's not a bad thing.

Welcome to all the newcomers and congrats to all who successfully made it through another 24 hours clean and sober!