Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 11

Old 10-26-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by thedryoutdrsmn View Post
what's the thumbs down all about on my post? Who gave it that, and why?
There's a list of icons when you post. Only you could have put that icon there

You must have added an icon in error

oh and welcome dry!

choobie my prayers and best wishes go out to you and your family
D
Old 10-26-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Great post Scooter! You are miles ahead of me. Yes, today is day 28! But I have not gotten out there and tried new things. Right now I'm held back a bit because I'm still recovering from my surgery but soon I will be as strong as ever! What to do with my time in this new city?? Hmmm...I think there's plenty of opportunity I just need to take the step. Thanks for the motivation!
Rah, not that any of this is a contest, but Choobie is way ahead of me in trying new things. I have a long list of things that I have not yet tried.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

WELCOME, DRY !

I have never seen a thumb's down on a post; this group is extremely welcoming, so I doubt it came from one of us!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choobie View Post
Checking in! Kids are out getting pumpkins, I'm deciding which chores to tackle. My house is almost organized, and i'm excited to start painting and spending some love on the house.

Scooter, thanks for that post! Well said, and I really identified with it.

Glad you are doing better, Chris! Way to go!

I keep on trying to be a good friend to myself, and I'm finding more and more peace when alone. I'm still really wobbly in the real world! I have a lot of work to do in accepting the world as it presents itself and when to do something about it.

Hard week with lots of outside change. I found out my father has an extreme form of dementia, and my mother is not physically or mentally well. They are only 62 and 64, and I'm an only child. Confusing.

Found out about final plans to put a sports arena and pub half a block from my home, and parking will be right outside my window.

My job is getting reorganized and I found out accidentally this week. I already have to reapply in a few months, but now not sure there will a job to apply for. I have to finish a project before I can leave or look for a job.

Husband is very unsupportive of me not drinking. He says i'm going to force him to quit, too. He keeps trying to pick fights and talking about how great beer is. There is nothing I can do, not do, or say to him that changes the situation. I've never talked about his drinking at all, and I've made it clear that I quit to save my own life, and he agrees I would have probably died of a overdose.

In all of these situations this week, my struggle has been to sort out what I can and can't control, what is my responsibility and what is not, and to try to focus on what I can do for the day. Life will never be smooth, but I'm hoping I can become centered, thoughtful, and kind. Challenging, but possible I hope! I've never been strong on the wait and see approach. Just gotta be more patient and keep finding moments to find peace.
Choobie, you are really at a challenging point, but certainly not impossible. You are smart to decide what you can and cannot control.

I am sorry to hear about your parents; how sad at such a young age. They both need professional care and probably should be in a nursing home type setting if they aren't yet.

The arena might want to buy your property - - I know someone who was given much more than their home was worth in order for a new Walgreens to be built with a large parking lot.

It sounds like your husband might have conflicting feelings. He probably misses you as a drinking partner, he might secretly wish he had quit when you did, and he might feel guilty that he is still drinking while you aren't - - it is probably a combination of those and more.

Keep trying all the new crafts and hobbies, and take care of yourself.

Bug Hugs!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Choobie, you definitely have the right attitude and approach to everything you are facing. Quite impressive actually.
Keep on posting, we are here.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

lmao...sorry, sorry - can't help laughing. methinks either you have broke the record and got the first thumbs down in the history of SR from someone who really didn't like your post, or (still lmao here) accidentally hit the icon when you posted! in fact that is definitely what you did - i'm pretty certain. lol

you are doing so well DryOut, keep it up! well done!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Once again for anyone new here - noone can give a thumbs down to someone else's posts.

We wouldn't allow that here

Dee
SR
Old 10-26-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks, so much for the support and advice, guys. I can't tell you how much it means. It's new to me to say such vulnerable things. I'm such a "doer". If I can't take action, I used to drink because it felt like doing something. My parents will need a nursing home, but not yet. I'll need a new job, but not yet. The city may buy my property, but not yet. My husband will get used to it, but not yet. Just a long week that sounds an awful lot like reality

Just a few months ago, I was making myself so miserable everyday that any one of these issues might have felt devastating. I cannot believe the amount of pain I put myself through and how hard I fought to keep it up!

Now, although life will never be as easy as I wish, there are small things every day to look forward to.

Today I am grateful for:
family
family that takes kids through tourist nightmare to get pumpkins
Family that rakes leaves together
a grocery store that is really close and not too busy
a pristine bathtub
A beautiful October
Old 10-26-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for joining Dry! I'd give you a thumbs up but pretty much suck at technology. My kids understand this stuff better than I.

Unconditional love, support, and acceptance here. I'm glad the "phantom thumbs down" was cleared up anyway!

Wow Choobie- so much stuff at once. Thank goodness you're facing this all alcohol free!

Keep strong folks!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Evening A Team. And welcome aboard Dry! This is a great thread. I'm long overdue for a post. My MO is to get pretty well wrapped up in my work week, and I've replaced cocktail hour with gym time so by the time I'm home for a late dinner, I'm beat.

It's been a glorious weekend in my part of the country. Great 60-70 degree in the day and cool nights. I'm in the middle of a few transitions (not least sobriety) and my weekends have been filled with long neglected household chores and projects and this one has been no different. Although I did take most of today off and had a casual American football Sunday.

Prepping for the start of the week now and it always hits me that I'm so appreciative to be clear headed on a Sunday night. And Mondays without hangovers are a godsend. Who knew Sundays and Mondays would become a couple of my favorite days. They use to be so problematic.

Right then. I always enjoy seeing everyone's milestones and to those struggling, please keep putting one foot forward. Every day is a new chance at sobriety. Stay with us and continue to share. There are many good eggs on this forum who have very encouraging words. I wish I could be one of them. I'm a crappy sharer but truly appreciate being a part of Team August.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great to hear you are doing well, doing something! We love to hear from you whenever you post, but no guilt-sober is sober no matter how we do it!

I love Sundays nights now, too. Groceries are ready, laundry is done, and everything is all set for the week. In fact, going to bed prepared for the week is one of my all time top ten moments.

Great idea to replace the drink time with gym time!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome Dry!

Sorry about your parents Choobie.

Well its past midnight here so that means I made it to 70days/10weeks sober!!!! Thank you all so much for your support in helping me get this far.

Bit of a challenging day with ex earlier but after getting a volley of abuse on the phone I arranged to meet up with my sponsor to talk it through instead of my old tactic of drinking it through! Had a great weekend with my girls and its a shame she put a dampener on that but I didn't take the bait and am slowly learning to be more assertive in a calm non-argumentative way.

Having a few different physical problems lately and should get things checked out at doctors this week. Got a first share in evening AA meeting tomorrow which Im a bit nervous about but alcoholism is a subject Im well versed in so I shouldn't be lost for words!

Hope everyone is doing ok, Pink, Cute and Brach check in when you can!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Doingsomething, you are so spot on with the Sunday and Monday being good days now!

Sunday was so unpredictable for me. Sometimes it would be just a few beers and slight hangover, just enough to ruin the gym on Monday. Other times, last thing I would remember is the mid afternoon, fragments of something stupid or embarrassing, and next thing you know, the dreaded wake up at 2am wanting to wake my spouse up and ask what happened. Then the work day from absolute guilt ridden hell. Isn't it cool to actually be productive all 5 days of the week!

Last thing, it has been wayyyy to freakin silent here team! Wake up!!!!!

Don't let that guard down. Post like it was day one and you just signed up. Remember how that day felt? Sound attractive?

Virtual huddle in order. Head high guys, we are team August and we are less than a week from November. Let's look the holidays right in the eye and scream bring it on AV!!!

Sober Monday, how priceless.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

1step, giddy up cowboy!! 70 days is off the charts man, awesome job!!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in the huddle!

I really enjoy how every couple of days or so someone is stepping forward to 'rally' the team through humor (interactions with Mavis, the gentleman with Touretts, and the lady in the book club ), inspiration (those who haven't let a stumble derail them, the 'sober is the new hipster cool' catch phrase) or relatable stories (novelty wearing off, the fact that being alcohol free does not solve every problem) and/or 'roll calls'!

I'm proud to be on this journey with everyone and as always- look forward to our inevitable success.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say good sober night. See you hang-over and regret free tomorrow gang! Love and hugs, Chris
Old 10-26-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post
Doingsomething, you are so spot on with the Sunday and Monday being good days now!

Sunday was so unpredictable for me. Sometimes it would be just a few beers and slight hangover, just enough to ruin the gym on Monday. Other times, last thing I would remember is the mid afternoon, fragments of something stupid or embarrassing, and next thing you know, the dreaded wake up at 2am wanting to wake my spouse up and ask what happened. Then the work day from absolute guilt ridden hell. Isn't it cool to actually be productive all 5 days of the week!

Last thing, it has been wayyyy to freakin silent here team! Wake up!!!!!

Don't let that guard down. Post like it was day one and you just signed up. Remember how that day felt? Sound attractive?

Virtual huddle in order. Head high guys, we are team August and we are less than a week from November. Let's look the holidays right in the eye and scream bring it on AV!!!

Sober Monday, how priceless.
Here! Sorry I was working at the stupid bar all day. 9am-9pm. Made decent money though. I wish I could have had some time to study today because I have 2 tests tomorrow! Anyway.

Welcome Dry!

Hope all is well. I hope to have time to chat with you all tomorrow!

~BBF
Old 10-26-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

1step, way to go, 70 days! Wooooooohoooooo!

Determined, that was my Sunday as well. It might have been 4 or 5 beers in the evening, or I might have started while cooking or watching a game. No matter what, I would feel rumpled, tired, and unprepared for the week with my regular blinding headache and cotton head. I would wake up at 2 or 3 with terrible anxiety and think about the coming week in terror. No more!

Holidays-
That reminds me to get the emergency sobriety kit for holiday gatherings. So far, my bag of tricks will contain:
my wallet card reminding me why I stay sober
Individual tea bags, sugar
cold drink flavoring
3 news items or articles of interest for changing the subject
eating something small before arrival
Old 10-26-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats 1step

D
Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Quick check in!

Great to read the overnight posts. I admire your strength and thinking choobie. Cracking work on 10 weeks 1step good luck with the share, you'll be fine. And welcome dry!

Travelling to a meeting two hours away this morning, so can relate to the Sunday / Monday 'what it used to be like' posts. I don't want to go, but it's far far easier with a clear head and not feeling absolutely rotten. I get 'good' anxiety before these things now, not total dread.