One Year and Under Club Part 40

Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Tanya)))

D
Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Still kind of down and sad. Did not take the celexa and that seemed to help with a bit more energy.

When I used to get like this, I would drink like a fish. At least no plans to do that.

Undies
Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

That's good, Drake. I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks G!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,
It sure is nice, cozy feeling to read up on how everyone is doing after a couple of long days of studying at my new job.

((Tanja))! I've missed you! I am so sorry that you are suffering physically. That can make it hard to stay strong amidst any interpersonal drama. It's amazing the destruction our families of origin can cause - and amazing how AA and the 12 steps can keep us strong during the difficult times. I'm so glad your obsession to drink has remained lifted through all of this, and that you were able to get back to AA for the support you must need during this difficult time, as well as for the ability to share strength and hope with everyone around you. (((Tanja)))!

Petals - It can take standing your ground a few times before the people around you realize that you mean business about your sobriety, that it isn't just a passing phase. Keep resisting those cravings.

Drake - I hope you're feeling better. I know you have a 12 step group that you're regularly involved in. For me, AA meetings are a great way to get out of myself when I'm feeling down, even if it's an unfamiliar group of people, there's a nice energy when folks are gathered to get well. Whether I share, or sit back and listen, I'm able to connect with other people in the rooms. Plus there are always hugs or handshakes - don't underestimate the power of human touch. Just a thought of something you can try if you're feeling down.

BoozeFree - It's nice to read how grateful you are for your sobriety. What are you doing to preserve it these days? Still reading the big book? I'm on chapter 3 right now. I can't believe the new insights I gain about myself, and alcoholism in general, every time I read it.

Carlos - Your point about replacing people, places, and things in recovery is spot-on. It's not possible to predict who or what will change in life, but I never would have put money on who would have been cut out of my life when I quit drinking (Needy is a non drinker), nor would I have predicted who has come into my life. My advice to anyone struggling with a sense of loss in early recovery is to keep at it. My life and relationships in recovery are very different from before; they are fulfilling, heartfelt, calm, authentic, beautiful, abundant. Higher powered instead of hurtful.

That is an insane view, btw. It is such a pleasure to see you back on your game and enjoying yourself.

Gilmer - I remember when you were stressed about the houseful of beer drinkers. It's been a gift to be by your side watching your transformation to nondrinker.

Toots - hello my friend.

Dottie - I'm glad work is still going well.

I had another long day of studying at the office and at home. I am so grateful to be doing this sober and in recovery. My sponsor reminds me every day to invite my higher power to join me; to the extent that I can invoke a higher power, I do. I can say that my focus is different than it would have been a year ago. In the past I would have been driven by my ego to take a visible lead in forming study groups and ingratiating myself to the group members. Today I know I can be just as successful taking a less visible, though still very active, role. I'm so thankful for the humility of sobriety!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

That's great, Glee. Sounds like you'll thrive in this new job.

How are you, Sparky? Anything new on your spiritual quest?

How are you, NT, ML, CCam, and anybody else lurking whom I might have missed?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Gf glad the new job is going well. I've been reading the big book still, writing in my journal, listening to some speaker meeting podcasts occasionally and of corse posting hear daily.

Sparky I used to listen to MCR all the time! Bummed they're no longer together!

Carlos I actually played volleyball on several teams till I was 15 and gave up all my hobbies for drinking. Unfortunately with this shoulder injury I still have to be very careful. I also used to snowboard every weekend and wanna try and get back into that this winter If my shoulder holds up.

Tanja prayers being sent your way! So sorry to hear you're still in pain and not sleeping. And the added stress of your fam. It's very inspiring to read how you're staying sober thru all of it. Hope you find some relief sometime soon.

Today went by pretty fast. Nothing too exciting. Watching some modern family and getting ready for bed.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Hey guys,

A quick hello - sorry been busy at womp plus personal life womping, so been a bit tough to put together a meaningful post.

Drake buddy, hang in there. Do something nice for yourself today, like a special meal, or a treat (like an LP you've desired) as a congratulations for staying sober. Drop me a line if you want to correspond.

Gilmer, I'm trying not to rush this thing, so I'm still working on the takeaways the priest gave me two weeks ago. Most importantly, I'm still metabolizing the whole self-forgiveness thing, and want to make sure it has truly sunk in before moving on.

Let's all go and do something positive for ourselves and one other person today.

Have a good day undies.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Sparky, I love how you sound these days - so positive! I suspect you've got a lot of healing going on.

Just a quick hello today, Undies. I overslept. AA step meeting tonight and much to do before that. Have a good womp womp :-)
Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning undies
Another day of womping.
I'm supposed to go to a work pumpkin carving event this evening, not sure if I'm gonna go tho.

Have a great sober day undies!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning Undies!
My name is Chris. I am in the 'Class of August 2014'. Today I have 79 days in my sober bank and I am so very grateful for each and every one of them and all to come -- one day at at time!..
Just thought I'd poke in here to say hello. We have such a great thing going here on SR I am so proud of us all for helping each other through this journey of freedom from the poison that runied our lives.
Love you all ! Come by and say hi sometime I will do the same
Old 10-29-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Undies as we call this group. I am a Popover, a former Undie now with more than a year sober. I think I have seen you in chat and meetings here.

Congrats on 79 days!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi, CaliChris! Great to see you! Hang around and post as often as you like! We're a friendly bunch, and we offer a lot of mutual support (and have fun, too).

Congratulations on your 79 days!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Drake, I am wishing you the very best today. For what it's worth, I hope the Royals win it all tonight!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome Gilmer and Drake !!

Yes Drake you have indeed seen me around the Chat (esp. the Tuesday night online meetings) So glad to be on the same team as you all !! We deserve this sober life every one of us !!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Welcome, Calichris! I've been here since May 2012 and finally got sober 'for real' this year and now am on my 83rd straight day of sobriety :-) so we are essentially sober twins! I love this thread though I also still post on my second "home" thread of March 2013. And I especially love being sober!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Welcome, Calichris! I've been here since May 2012 and finally got sober 'for real' this year and now am on my 83rd straight day of sobriety :-) so we are essentially sober twins! I love this thread though I also still post on my second "home" thread of March 2013. And I especially love being sober!
Thanks for the kind words Saskia. My 'original' class was the Class of March 2014. This time feels much more solid for me and totally different (in a very good way). I know this time with certainty I cannot drink it is simply not an option at all (the last time I thought there was a glimmer of 'hope' that's why I eventually relapsed as that 'hope' set me up for failure from day 1... -- not this time!).

So yes you are my sober twin and I am proud to be your brother in sobriety!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Drake, I am wishing you the very best today. For what it's worth, I hope the Royals win it all tonight!

I do not have (at my own wish) a TV so I am not watching but following. Torn in allegiance since I grew up a Giants fan due to a Giants farm team in my home town. But it is fun to see everyone in the spirit and everything is blue here.

The KC Symphony performed the National Anthem last night and the conductor is a neighbor of mine, one of the few sane ones in the loony building (I fit right in). Even he was running around in a Royal's shirt. Last year he probably didn't know they existed.

I am a bit less down today. I know all the new meds take time, I had been on them before years ago for a bit, but dang... I thought they were supposed to make you happy. I even was sobbing yesterday, which may be a good sign, as I was so dead I could not even do that, especially when drunk. Been a long time.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Lots to do to get ready to leave for a few days. Strange how something so automatic for me in the past seems a bit stressful. Actually, I kinda know why it feels stressful...because it is. I am doing what I have done all of my life, treating it casually and planning to pull it all together at the last minute. Sooo alkie like. Just as I write this I am making a decision to start to prepare in advance for my next trip. Wow, what a difference that will make. In some defense of my past, I traveled every week and prep wasn't really an option. But I did get an alkie jolt from the last minute prep and thought I thrived in that chaos...WHAT BUNK. Here's to a slower more peaceful existence...next time.

Just more proof positive that every activity, event, action that I am having today is just like I'm doing it for the first time. In many ways, I am a completely different person than the ALCOHOLIC I WAS ALL THOSE MANY YEARS - ACTIVELY DRINKING OR NOT...I was always alkie THINKING.

Gilmer, they are the cable car tracks...I think they differ from standard railroad tracks. I had such a great lunch with old gf yesterday. Met at 2 and finished walking and talking at 5:30. The weather was perfect and so was the company.

Something so amazing happened to me as we passed the enterance to the Incline Plane itself. It SMELLED exactly as I remembered as a kid, and every time I have been there since. It might have even have passed me by but OGF said, "I love that smell." Then it hit me, that smell has been the same for over 50 years...so unique and so pleasing. Strange.

Guess you might say that I took time to smell the virtual flowers. We admired and felt the rocks and wood carvings and stones, even sitting for an hour or so on one of the stones talking. Last evening she text me that her day's gratitude was sitting on a stone together enjoying maybe the last amazing day of 2014. Haha, I have her doing daily grats, only specific to today.

Drake, I have a suggestion. I would dip into my savings and go to the game tonight and scalp a ticket. Watching a DECIDING GAME 7 of a world series is a once in a lifetime event. Even if you aren't a fan you will be swept up in the city pride!! I would wait till game time or right after to get serious. My guess is that 200-300 will get you in. Worst case, go there early and just walk around and absorb the experience. Heck, at the Steeler games there are plenty that bring big screens and just watch it in the parking lot.

I know, to some this might be a drinking trigger. They never are for me. Much like golfing, I take the event to seriously to alter, my problems with drinking were after. Hey, just a thought. It is going to be a madhouse of city pride and fun!!

Sparky, I'm with Sask, you sound a happier in your sober skin.

Chris, nice of you to pop in. Take a seat and join in more often if you so desire.

BF, are you doing any physical therapy for your shoulder? If not, I will be happy to ask my youngest for ideas on strengthening your shoulder this weekend. PT is her field of study.

Dottie, as always, thanks for posting and keeping us up on what's up with you. I'm happy that your attitude toward moderation in the future is changing too. I just read a story on here about a guy that returned to drinking after 15 years. Lost everything before he was able to make it back. Some might be back without serious consequences, but the constant will ALWAYS be that you will soon return to old drinking habits...then blow them away. That is an absolute certainty, major consequences or not.

Glee, congrats on your growth and thanks for another amazing post. You got this new life all goin on, 19!

Tanja, so sorry to read about your Mom and the trials and tribulations from FOO (family of origin). Yes, nobody can be meaner at times than the ones that we are expected to love. However, your sober toolbox is plentiful and standing on a solid foundation. My very best to you as you navigate these challenges...I hope with the knowledge that we are here for you, always. Love you, girl!

Gotta boogie on dudes and duddettes...enjoy!

Carlos
Old 10-29-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

The crowd would give me a full blown anxiety attack, trust me. But, a good suggestion, I could go and watch it at my favorite pub. They know I do not drink and strangely going there is not a trigger. Thanks for the suggestion Carlos, might do me some good.