I am ready for a change!
Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR stevenpaul
Old 11-08-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Glee, those pre and post happy hour posts were inspiring! There is such a misconception out there that sobriety=no fun. In fact the instructor of my highway dui class in her opening remarks said that she isn't here to tell us that we can never have fun again. I get what she meant, but, it just further illustrates how UNnormal I am and feel today. What heresy, I believe that I actually have tons more fun without altering my state of mind?

I'm sure there was a time in life when drinking was fun. Well, I sure thought it was fun. However, I know that I was drinking alcoholically as early as high school. Somehow I associated fun with drinking. Whew, talk about stunting your growth and maturity. I played ball and I drank. As an adult I played sales and I drank. Even when I didn't drink for over a decade, without a recovery program my alcoholism not only grew, it may have flourished?

Okay then: here is my no fun plan for the day.
  • Up at 5:30 AM bright, well rested, without a hangover
  • 9:30 AM AA meeting in my old hometown as a treat since I'm heading that way for other things
  • 11:00 AM coffee with the woman that reentered my life after dumping me four years ago for drinking.
  • Noon - workout
  • Afternoon, hang with a buddy playing pool at his pad
  • Health food store and grocery shopping
  • 6:00 PM my regular AA meeting, not because I NEED to go to a second meeting, because I want to hang out with my sober peeps post mtg

Now, just think...I could have done 25% of that feeling like s*it and hungover with a hundred bucks less in my pocket...

Daaa, what am I thinking?

Welcome steve and myst!!

Enjoy the spoils of sobriety today, all!!

Carlos
Old 11-08-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Welcome Mystery,

Musical into for you - one of my classic favourites!

Ronnie James Dio - Mystery - YouTube

For the newbies, a good suggestion might be that if you like posts by a member in this forum, also go check out their blogs posts as well (that little blue number under their name). We've all shared a bunch of different experiences we've had getting sober, and there may things there you find helpful in your sober journey.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Welcome Mystified and Stevenpaul!

New undies, I agree with Carlos that alcohol is not equal to fun for me. When I drank, my life sure looked good from the outside looking in - a nice family, everything I need, lots of stuff I want, good jobs, friends, parties, and drinking was a part of that life. But when I drank I just dragged through my day, hungover, my life something to endure while waiting for my next drink.

When I stopped drinking, I was depressed. As time passed, and I looked beyond my disappointment over not being able to get drunk anymore, I realized that I was depressed because I didn't like the life I was living. My husband, who I had always thought of as my best friend, was bossy and not particularly pleasant company sober. Another friend, who I spent a great deal of time hanging out with, was needy and negative, and monopolized way too much of time. My job, while something that I was good at, had a lot of little headaches and was a dead-end for my career.

I spent months working it all out here. I thought about what I might want to do. When I do things differently, life feels great.

I still do lots of things the same way I always did. On Friday evenings, when hubby is drinking, I often go to a meeting, or grab a coffee, or hang out with or call friends. I enjoy those nights! Last night, after happy hour, I came home. Hubby was drinking. I hung out at home. By the time I went to bed, my head became a jumble of disappointment, frustration, and feeling trapped.

I paid the price for not taking care of myself. It doesn't make me want to drink, or lash out at hubby, or even complain about him. I'm seeing that I can accept what is, and plan around it.

So I don't feel great all the time, or every day. But I feel so much better than I did when I drank to cover it up.

Have a great day, Undies!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Welcome new Undies. I am at a church convention today. Yawn....
Reports budgets.. Woo hoo. Check in later!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Got to love (?) the Episcopalians... souvenir wine class for the 125th anniversary of the diocese.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mystified and StevenPaul!

Welcome back Brad, Glandon, ScooterBoo, and anybody else who is new or lurking whom I might have missed.

Glee, it looks as though you have moved into an excellent new phase of your sobriety, in which you are content in your life because you are content in yourself. Though the dynamic between you and your husband has changed a bit since you've gotten sober and formed a genuine identity, you no longer seem bitter at him. You've adopted a "life goes on" attitude which is very healthy.

I found that life became way better when I

1) started from a firm foundation and
2) learned to make the best of what I've got.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome stevenpaul. This is the best place to better yourself!
Old 11-08-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Wow, this is just like Christmas presents from my Mom...New Undies by the value multi-pack!

Welcome all!

I think the Overies are highly...wait for it...Over-Rated!

HAhahaha...I crack me up sometimes...
Old 11-08-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hello Undies and all new undies

Day 30 tomorrow, Feeling good, having fun, and adjusting to being sober. What a change, I'm back to doing a lot of things I enjoy. I can't believe that I stopped doing so much because it would take me away from my drinking time. Glad I woke up. Just read the last 3 days of posts. Great motivation and reminder why drinking does not work for me. Hope you all have a good sober Saturday night and Sunday. Thanks SR and you all.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations choosingsober

D
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey there you guys have made a renewed commitment to kicking the drink, will post under here regularly day 2

thanks and peace to all

v
Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Vandermast!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Vandermast

D
Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Choosingsober - Congratulations on 30 days! Great work! There are lots of things I was too busy drinking to do. It happened slowly, so slowly that I didn't realize my life was getting smaller. By the time I quit, I couldn't remember what I liked to do.

Welcome Vandermast! Congrats on your renewed commitment to sobriety and to Day 2!

LonelyShadow - Great post highlighting the importance of living well. I had a fairly high bottom where I seemed pulled together - or thought I did. As good of a job as I did hiding my insanity, I was doing just that: hiding my insanity.

I hid in a friendship with a needy bore. I hid in a dead end job. I know that I continue to hide today - behind complaints, behind wisecracks. behind But if I know that I am hiding, does it mean that I'm getting closer to finding?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Welcome back Vandermast. I remember you.

A few months ago I came back to SR after an extended relapse. I was wandering about the forums when someone found me and threatened me with bodily harm if I did not return at once to the Marchers thread and my rightful place.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-33-a.html

Consider yourself threatened. And home.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Yup, Vandermast, I was one of the ones who threatened bodily harm to Trachy, so I fully expect to see you on the Marcher thread if you wish to remain free of contusions!

Trachy, Over-rated?? Hmmmm perhaps Outdated Undies?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

I prefer "Vintage Undies".
Old 11-09-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days, Choosingsober! That's terrific! Doesn't that give you a real lift?

Welcome, Vandermast!