Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 13

Old 01-13-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

a hi from me too! XOXOXO and a quick joke...

knock knock
who's there?
Cash
Cash who?
I always knew you were a nut!

LOL
Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hey y'all !
Been trying to post on threads where ppl are still sipping like I am every once in a while. What a copout, huh?
I felt like I lost family members not talking to y'all!
Cyndi my son, 16, never "came to live with" me like he grew up saying he wanted to,( I never brought it up as a matter of principle).
I found out over new yrs, he gets away with way, WAY more foolishness, at his mothers house, ridiculous drama aside.
I agree with teenager-less rules idea.
I'm not up on the posts, but DANG I missed you all.
Been on new job for about 2-3 months. No drinking for about 2 weeks at a time. Not where I want to be I guess, but the busier the better for me, sans disaster or drama !
Xmas with 2 little ones was great.
Busy day at work-
Will catch up !!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff!! I have "seen" you in the newer October thread and was glad to see you still checking in. Keep at it buddy. One of these days it will stick.

We've missed you around here too! You will always be a Tober! XOXO
Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Happy to hear from you, JL!!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Well, I'm back in the saddle Tobers and ready to post. I hope everyone had a great week, although it looks like things are relatively quiet around here.

Last week was my first business trip while sober and it was more difficult than I anticipated. I was never really tempted, but I have great respect for those new to sobriety who must travel as part of their work. After a long day of meetings, evening was the time to unwind and alcohol was everywhere ... including the conversation. With the popularity of craft beers, conversation frequently turned in that direction. Oh well. The soft drinks were good!

Life is extremely busy right now both at home and at work. We are in the process of transitioning an elderly couple we watch into assisted living. I hope this goes well, but I'm worried that they will say "no" at the last moment. Things will be hectic for a while, but much easier once the transition is complete.

Hang in there Tobers. January is almost done which means spring cannot be far away!
Old 01-20-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

I am blessed to live in the tropics, so I can say I truly enjoy winter. I am not bragging. Honestly, winter here is nicer than summer. I have been organizing, cleaning out, and simplifying my daily life/routine/things, so all is well here. I guess it is a good thing that none of us are struggling very much right now, as much as I miss hearing from everyone.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

I'm back and still sober! I was really busy at the holidays and then I burned out completely. I've been laying low and dealing with this depression that came from who knows where. Not sure if it's related to the winter and lack of sunlight or what. I went for a short run last night and that seemed to help. At least my laying low and staying home means I'm not around alcohol. My husband has almost completely given it up as well, so that has helped tremendously. This past weekend I did go to a going-away party for a friend who is moving. I wasn't really feeling strong in my sobriety, but I wanted to at least stop by to say goodbye. He's in his early 20s, which means that most of the people at the party were in their early 20s. They were drinking so much, swigging out of booze bottles and doing shots, making a mess, falling all over the place. A couple people were really out of it, and I realized that's what I had looked like so many times. I'm so glad I'm not one of those train wrecks anymore. I talked to my husband about it and I told him how embarrassed I was, but he told me that everything in the past is what got me here to being sober now.

WD, good luck with the elderly couple. I hope it works out for them.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
I talked to my husband about it and I told him how embarrassed I was, but he told me that everything in the past is what got me here to being sober now.
Hey LS! Funny that you should mention this because I felt exactly the same way last night. I'm feeling a level of calmness and confidence that I didn't feel even a few months ago. It made me think that there may well be benefits of sobriety that will take time to unfold. That's the good news. The bad news is that I immediately thought of how much time I wasted walking around in a fog.

I then thought along the lines of what your husband said. I am standing here today precisely because of my past. Of course, I wouldn't wish alcohol abuse on anyone, but could it be that I'm in a better place because of the darkness through which I walked? Could it be that I'm stronger than I would have been without the ordeal? Something to think about.

I'm experiencing some turmoil in my life at the moment yet I feel a certain calmness even while the storm clouds swirl. I couldn't have said that pre-sobriety.

Life's good Tobers. Good indeed.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

I know I don't post alot, (I think I always start my post this way)
Along the lines of Sparrow except this was my husband, My husband a year ago decided to cut back on drinking that meant to him not to drink during the week, he comes home on Friday night and will drink excessively until he an barely talk or walk. Saturday morning we both get up and work out hard just because we like too on the weekend, then by noon my husband has a drink in hand, if we go out he might have two before we leave, when we arrive back home on Saturday evening it is a repeat of Friday night, Sunday the drinks start to pour at 10 am. By 8 in the evening he is three sheets to the wind, I have repeatedly asked him to slow down on the weekend (yet we all know where that gets us when we were told that when we drank). This past weekend was the worsted I had seen him on Sunday, I told him on Monday how he was acting and the things he had said, that night when we got into bed he told me he is going to try to slow down on the weekend maybe try beer instead of whiskey. I told him alcohol is alcohol. He figures if he drinks beer he will get bloated easier and will stop sooner. I just kept my mouth shut, because those are all the excuses in the book I used to use to keep drinking as well. I realize he has to see it for what it is a demon he must stop using all together.

Sad to say but watching him is keeping me from wanting to drink. I still have issues of going out where I know the alcohol is flowing, I have a hard time dealing with drunk people. I am trying to get out more but I keep telling hubby, I can only handle so much then I need to leave. He says he understand, and he doesn't get upset with me when I tell him it is time to go..
Old 01-22-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

My moods have been all over the map lately, too. I don't really have much to blame it on except maybe hormones?? There are times when my "evil twin" seems to take over in my head. I guess you might call it my AV because it wants me to say, "F-it and drink," but it is more than just drinking. It is almost like I can't deal when things are too peaceful or easy. There is something in me that wants to stir the pot, but not really. I have an internal struggle at times that I am not sure I really understand. I keep thinking if I do a better job with my recovery that will disappear, but maybe it is something everyone has to deal with??

The reruns in my head of the times I made such an drunken as$ of myself, really do help keep me sober. I really don't want to add one more thing to that list and that is something that I actually CAN control just by not drinking alcohol. The other thing that keeps me sober is not wanting to ever feel like something outside of me is in control of me, ever again.

Rosebud, I feel for you. I am grateful that my husband was ready to lay off the sauce probably before I was and he never really had a real problem with it. Watching my mom dance the same old dance and live in such denial, drives me crazy sometimes and I don't even live with her. Kudos for staying strong in your sobriety.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Rosebud, that's so tough to be around. It's frustrating because you know it's possible to get sober, but you also know that he has to be ready for it. And all those tricks to try moderating…so exhausting. Good for you for staying on track in the meantime. I hope he figures it out soon.

DD, when I'm feeling too peaceful, I sometimes feel like I have lost my creativity or whatever it is that makes life interesting. Being chipper and positive starts to feel "boring" (nothing exciting going on, not getting into any trouble), and I start to annoy myself with being positive. Then I have the opposite problem and I'm not positive enough. Right now I've been so tired and down that I could crumple into a little ball and hide under my desk at work, or lie down on the sidewalk for a nap. The only good thing about it is that I'd be too tired to drink even if I wanted to (which I don't). Not sure this makes any sense
Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Yes, LS, it is like Pollyanna DD makes me want to throw up, at times! You hit the "creativity" thing on the head. I don't do well with "vanilla." I am sorry that you are depressed right now. You are comfortable taking antidepressants, right? Paxil saved my life in my early twenties. You don't have to suffer.

I think the difference of being sober is not that the moodiness goes away, but it is not as intense and I examine it more. Before, it was just dousing it with more red wine and looking to blame it on things/people outside of myself.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I am going to remain sober.

Like you DD and Sparrow I am trying to stay positive but sometimes that gets boring.. but that bottle doesn't look the greatest either.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

I'm feeling a little better now, so I think it mostly had to do with my hormones being out of control. I do take an antidepressant (Lexapro) and it normally keeps me on stable ground. I'm going to give it some time---if it gets any worse, or just not any better, I'll talk to my doctor.

Everyone else doing okay?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Seahawks or Patriots?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

I think the Patriots will win but I can't stand them. I'm all for Seattle!!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

I got a notification on my phone today. It said, "Congratulations, Dolly, you have been sober 16 months today." It took me by surprise. I am getting to the point in my sobriety where it is hard to remember trying hard to make milestones. That is a good thing!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Congrats DD. 16 months is awesome. I too no longer think much about the milestones. I do try, however, to reflect on how different my life is now than a short 15 months ago. What seems ordinary now was inconceivable in October '13.

I'll be pulling for Seattle. It should be an interesting game with some intriquing matchups to watch. In my opinion, NE should be forced to play with over inflated balls. I'm thinking something along the lines of a basketball. Seems fair.

Any Super Bowl parties on the calendar? We will be with a group of families (kids all the same ages) that we have partied with for a number of years. Makes for a good time even if I am a frequent loser in the betting pool!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats from me too DD

D
Old 02-02-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Hi all.

It appears that Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow this morning which means six more weeks of winter. I'm not sure how Phil saw his shadow since it was reported to be cloudy and rainy in Punxsutawney, PA this morning, but he is wiser in the ways of forecasting than myself. Throw another log on the fire and grab a blanket.

I hope everyone had a fun and sober Superbowl Sunday. Nice game.

The activity of our group has diminished quite a bit. Has everyone moved on to other avenues of support? Maybe we should start posting in a more general thread? Open to ideas ...

Take care everyone!