Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 8

Old 10-04-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

applekat well done, very proud of you :-)
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post

Truth is I'm terrible. I can't help but feel I took knb and penkins down with me and now I'm back and they are mia. So I'm terribly sorry for them and I hope they keep trying.
Hey BBF. I understand this thinking, really I do but.... You cannot control what other people do in their recovery, only offer support and be there for people. You have done that a lot, your posts are great. The guys know where we are and I hope they come back too. I know you and the whole thread will be so pleased to see them and welcoming.

You used the thread for its primary purpose. To share what's going on in your life, what happened and to get the support we can all give each other. No fault anywhere in that. Who knows? Maybe someone was lurking and reading and saw your posts and decided they were not going to drink today because of your experience and your strength coming back here?

Stay strong BBF. It's great to have you back with us. I'm trying to say please don't think this way.
  # 323 (permalink)  

ultra - great grateful post, lovely to read! Im intrigued by the tattoo, you know what you're after yet?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Napster1. I think you'll like this group

I know it's hard when people go 'back out' guys....it's natural to think could we do more, do I do that....but it's absolutely not anyone's fault here, and it's not the groups fault either.

The thing is, in the vast majority of cases, people get discouraged and despondent, they abandon themselves to the impulse....and they don't come here for support.

I did that many times in my drinking years.

This is a damn hard addiction to beat cos in many ways we fight ourselves.

The best thing we can do as a group is be here, be welcoming when people come back (I have faith they will) not be judgemental (not that anyone has been)...

and keep kicking those recovery goals.

Recovery really is possible, Let's prove that

D
Old 10-04-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

London said it, BBF!

We fight our own battle and make the final choices when it comes down to it. I chose not to cave that night even though it felt easy to. I was vulnerable but stepped back and gave myself a pep talk.

I'm happy you're back here! At 49 + 2.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

scooter many congratulations on day 50!!
Applekat way to go on day 47

look at these achievements guys, that's huge!!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post
ultra - great grateful post, lovely to read! Im intrigued by the tattoo, you know what you're after yet?
I'm pretty conservative.

If I go forward with the plan, it will be a small tattoo with a simple outline of a mountain with peaks (imagine an outline of the mountain on the left of your avatar) with "50k" inside.

The race is actually a little over 50k- clocking in at 32 miles. Adding the month and day that I became alcohol free (7+25) yeilds 32. So that adds to the significance.

I'll place it on my left calf or above my left ankle- on the same side of my body as my heart. I became alcohol free the day I got my pacemaker.

Simple, meaningful, and permanant- much like my new path.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

BBF I know it may sound bad but sometimes when I see people slip and talk about how horrible it feels physically.. it helps me stay away and reminds me. So definitely don't feel bad at all. I'm Glad you're back. <--i almost choked on a gummy bear laughing when I saw this emoticon haha
Old 10-04-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
One phrase kept running through my head: Relentless Forward Progress.
Love it

Old 10-04-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
BBF I know it may sound bad but sometimes when I see people slip and talk about how horrible it feels physically.. it helps me stay away and reminds me. So definitely don't feel bad at all. I'm Glad you're back. <--i almost choked on a gummy bear laughing when I saw this emoticon haha
Lmao. Thank you for not choking. :-)
Old 10-04-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post

Love it
Ha perfect leeloo.

Ultra the tattoo sounds great. I'm thinking of getting one myself one day at a year out.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

There was some mention a day or so ago about some of our group wanting to stay home, have an non-AL drink and watch a movie. I did that last night.

The movie I watched was The Anonymous People, a fairly new documentary about the long term recovery movement (at least in the US).

They brought up some interesting stuff. Didn't make me feel so alone in this (other than you guys). It referred to some +23 million souls out there in long term recovery. It's on Netflix, Amazon TV and I think it can be viewed from the internet as well.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hey BBF. I understand this thinking, really I do but.... You cannot control what other people do in their recovery, only offer support and be there for people. You have done that a lot, your posts are great. The guys know where we are and I hope they come back too. I know you and the whole thread will be so pleased to see them and welcoming.

You used the thread for its primary purpose. To share what's going on in your life, what happened and to get the support we can all give each other. No fault anywhere in that. Who knows? Maybe someone was lurking and reading and saw your posts and decided they were not going to drink today because of your experience and your strength coming back here?

Stay strong BBF. It's great to have you back with us. I'm trying to say please don't think this way.
Wow. Really well said. I deleted so many posts trying to say this (becoming a habit today!). Well done.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glandon View Post
There was some mention a day or so ago about some of our group wanting to stay home, have an non-AL drink and watch a movie. I did that last night.

The movie I watched was The Anonymous People, a fairly new documentary about the long term recovery movement (at least in the US).

They brought up some interesting stuff. Didn't make me feel so alone in this (other than you guys). It referred to some +23 million souls out there in long term recovery. It's on Netflix, Amazon TV and I think it can be viewed from the internet as well.
I will watch it tonight gladon. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
Wow. Really well said. I deleted so many posts trying to say this (becoming a habit today!). Well done.
Ha ha. I do that too ultra. Thank you for your response. I love that you ran 10 miles last night and then 5.some today in the rain. I really want to get back to running it's so cleansing.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

ultra, the tattoo sounds perfect :-)
Old 10-04-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for inadvertently leaving out your milestones ScooterBoo and Applekat - congratulations!

D
Old 10-04-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Blimey. 00:45am. Time for some sleep for London in London

- Grateful for my day, to everyone I have spoken to, for AA, for SR, and for being able to meet up with my friend
- Grateful to have a warm apartment on the first colder night of the season
- Grateful that TeamAugust continues to roll whilst we are sleeping on this side of the pond, always some great posts to read every morning. Edit : and from down under, sorry Dee!
- Grateful to be sober

Night all. I accept the pink 'grateful wake up challenge' tomorrow!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

nite nite London :-) look forward to your positive post! x
Old 10-04-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

I post often asking for movie recommendations but I'm not ready to watch recovery related ones with hubby (unless Hollywood ones like Flight). I'll hang on to your rec, Glandon, for his next business trip!! We watched Good People last night and I could have done without that one. We also started watching Blacklist on Netflix with James Spader. We may have to skip a movie tonight as we are trying to get ready for kiddo's bday party tomorrow. We will see. I'll try to post my grateful list tomorrow in the AM just hopefully not as early as 5 AM like today. Argh. Sleep deprivation is like a form of torture!!!