Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 39

Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
Checkin in before I go womp.

Carlos I def feel like I'm being tested this week with all the stuff that's been thrown my way. To add to it I in addition came down with a cold yesterday.

Well hopefully today nothing bad comes my way. Still sober thankfully
Old 10-02-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Sorry you're suffering, BF.

Many congratulations on 60, LS!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I've got you all beat. I started college in 1969! Yeah! Led Zeppelin!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Carlos - I loved that cartoon! Combined with the song, I lol'd this morning.

I was Recovery Jonsing last night when I decided to seek out a new AA meeting. The topic was how your thinking has changed. An old timer told us that his recovery was based on keeping an open mind, combined with realizing that negativity isn't because of what other people do, that it's within himself. Keeping an open mind is such a gift of recovery.

The meeting had been hard to find. The address was incorrect in the AA directory. Then I walked into what turned out to be choir practice. I went into a few other doors and still didn't find it. With that combination, I could have left angry and defeated, but instead I keep searching, found the right door, walked in - and saw my sponsor sitting there.

My experience last night, combined with the old timer's message, was one of those nifty coincidences that I've been attributing to my hp in recovery. The hp of my own understanding is powerful for me.

To Carlos' point about the message in the song, the anxiety meds I'm taking, combined with the spiritual aspect of AA, have given me just the little bit of support I need to get out and follow my dreams in recovery, take the reins to my life.

LS - congrats on 60 days. Detachment is an important goal. To be honest, I think it can happen even while you're living with your father. There's no sense allowing him the power to him to ruin your day while you search for new housing.

Drake - You sound positive. It's nice to hear you describe yourself in a flattering way.

Else - I hope you're feeling well on your new meds.

Gilmer - Good to hear from you. I'm glad your dad is doing ok.

Saskia, NT, Sparky, Toots, Trach, Dee - Hello! I hope all is well.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Glad you finally swam upstream to the meeting last night, Glee!

I managed to avoid taking my dad to his GP again today: I got him his annual flu shot at the drugstore!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I'm glad to see everyone going strong. I still remember you all every day and keep you in my thoughts. For recovery-sake, I need to keep checking in here. Even if my posts are just kinda "so so", I still learn a lot from yours. Thank you, all.

mw
Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Glee that's great advice as always, i'll find a way

(Open to suggestions as well though! I'm all out of ideas!)
Old 10-02-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

LS congrats on 60!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
1975... Freshman in college! (exceedingly old)
Drake and all of you other youngster undies ... I was a freshman in college in 1963 - "The Dark Ages" or The Dawn of Time"!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Drake and all of you other youngster undies ... I was a freshman in college in 1963 - "The Dark Ages" or The Dawn of Time"!

I was 6
Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

LS, congrats on 60!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
I was 6
Very funny, Drake!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

So, Sass, what was it like studying by candlelight?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I was a 'bump'! .

Congratulations on 60 LS

BeFree, stick close honey, I hear the temptation in your posts, and you have been down that road too many times! This time you have way too much going right for you to let that dastardly AV get a hearing. X
Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the 60s would have been a great time to be a freshman Sass

D
Old 10-02-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Look at everyone bragging about how old they are!!

BoozeFree - Sorry to hear about your challenges this week. Here's the thing, though: in life you will feel stressed. You will be tested. You will be excited. You will be disappointed. You will be angry. You will be scared. You will be thrilled. These challenges needn't affect your sobriety, but in order to weather life's storms sober I've had to build a life that supports my authentic values and cutting out the parts that are in contrast to them. I still have a long way to go, but today I can handle the bumps better than I could seven months ago. That's progress.

Gilmer - Thanks for your support and kindness, as always. I hope you're feeling well!

MW - I'm glad checking in here is part of your sober routine. The undies love to help! When I first came on this thread I had lots of problems ending a friendship that was one sided, and the Undies talked me through it.

NeverThought - I hope all is well. What's going on during sober week 5? How's the wife and kid? Have you made any progress on getting a band together?

Sparky - I've been able to relate to your experience. Like you, I was angry about my dysfunctional family of origin. Also, like you, I felt limp and hopeless when I quit drinking, and the only reason I didn't go back was because that seemed even worse. How are you doing these days?

LonelyShadow - Melodie Beattie's books helped me immensely with the concept of detachment. For me, realizing that I can choose to be happy regardless of people and places was really profound. I'm sure that other Undies can offer their experience, strength and hope on how to manage this, too.

Else - I'm glad you kept your horse!! (I bet the feeling's mutual).

Sass - I agree with Dee; interesting time to come of age.

Be well Undies!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think the 60s would have been a great time to be a freshman Sass

D
Ah - absolutely, Dee! I miss those times. I was in the Boston area and lived in Cambridge near Harvard after freshman year and again after sophomore year. I worked at Harvard and later at MIT. Met some fascinating people there including a card-carrying member of the Communist Party. Cambridge was, at that time, a totally awesome place. I recall thinking that it felt so free and loose that I could have walked down the street stark naked and I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelash! Lots of great adventures! The world has certainly changed a great deal since then.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

As alcoholics we struggle with demons that make us behave downright unlikably at times. I like that we can share our struggles here, truthfully and without judgement.

One of my favorites of my mother's ex partners was downright unlikable to her at times. He escaped a very troubled childhood to go to the Service, and afterwards got a good job working for a major international manufacturing company, married, had four children, was a deacon in his church, a coach to his kids' sports teams - and alcoholic.

Regardless of his relationship with my mother, he was there for my wedding, my first house, the births of both of my children. He died last night. RIP, G - xoxo.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I am very sorry for your loss, Glee.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Glee, so sorry for your loss!