Notices

Class of September 2014 part 3

Old 10-14-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
Thanks MarathonMan! Those are good words of advice and I are appreciated.

And yes, I remember your wife is pregnant! Is this your first? It's great to hear you are getting a head start too. You will be very prepared when the time comes.
Yes this is our first, something we've wanted for a long time but were told was probably not an option, it's all the more special for that. Trying to get prepared but I know nothing about kids so will probably be a pretty steep learning curve once he comes along.

Stay well, 5 weeks today for me.....the weeks soon start to mount up don't they
Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
nmd

Mm- congrats on 5 weeks and on expecting! Nt! Congrats on 7 weeks

Plenny, I know what you mean about procrastination, very funny

Today is my day 30, thank you friends for being there!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations nmd

D
Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congratulations NT

D
Thanks Dee....much appreciated.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Mm- congrats on 5 weeks and on expecting! Nt! Congrats on 7 weeks

Plenny, I know what you mean about procrastination, very funny

Today is my day 30, thank you friends for being there!
(((nmd)))......~YEAH~

Congratulations man!

Old 10-14-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
Yes this is our first, something we've wanted for a long time but were told was probably not an option, it's all the more special for that. Trying to get prepared but I know nothing about kids so will probably be a pretty steep learning curve once he comes along.

Stay well, 5 weeks today for me.....the weeks soon start to mount up don't they
You're doing a great job preparing mentally and physically by abstaining. That is the most important. Other than that, I think, there's not much we can prepare for. Our first and only was born 7 years ago and I had not a clue. You sort of hit the ground running!

My wife has been saying I act like I'm 12 years old since we met. So, I just went with my instincts.....

Congrats on 5 weeks, and yes, the weeks do pile up once you escape the habits and grips....
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Day 32

CONGRATULATIONS nmd!!!!!!

I finally took prescription migraine medicine, which only works on migraines. The headache went away. That tells me it's probably not withdrawals, and also not a brain tumor

Had a quiet Thanksgiving with husband. He made the most fantastic meal. The veggies (carrots, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes) were roasted underneath the turkey. He makes a chutney from crushed oranges and cranberries with clove and cinnamon plus thinly sliced ginger. And biscuits. And my favorite dessert in the world--PUMPKIN PIE!

Actually, he doesn't bake so I had bought one for myself (doesn't like dessert either). Then our neighbors from upstairs knocked on the door and gave us a homemade one!

This is important because they moved in this summer and I was worried they heard me screaming outside when drunk. And more worried about this:

I had seen the first guy moving in, a forty-ish guy who seemed friendly (said he'd have us over for wine sometime, which thankfully never happened). Then one day a beautiful young man peeked down over the balcony to thank us for our housewarming gift. He mentioned the guy we'd met. I said, "Oh, is that your dad?" He said, "No, he's my boyfriend." I hadn't heard the word "partner"--although my husband had and said he was making faces at me to stop talking. Things got pretty awkward after that

I think the thing I'm stressed about is my brother, whom I haven't been in touch with in over a month. I need to email him to tell him I was upset by his lack of response to my repeated questions about visiting him and about how my niece is doing. We have a lot of history, most of which involves me being wasted and us getting into fights when he's wasted too. I only see him on holidays. We really got into it after my mom's memorial. But then made up and were emailing steadily. But he got stuck with dealing with my mom's house (heavily mortgaged, he put in $15K for repairs and now it won't sell and there are still bills on it). I can't help financially whereas he can borrow from his wealthy in-laws, plus it's easier for him being in the States. It is hard to do anything cross-border, as I know from experience. He also is a stay-at-home dad, and I work full-time. But I think he resents it.

Maybe if I email him I'll stop getting headaches and migraines.

Sorry for the long post. I just meant to check in and congratulate nmd! Oh and Alynn, I have been super irritable too except for yesterday when I was happily gorging myself.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
nmd

Thanks guys!

S&S, glad you don't have a tumor and the migraine medicine is working. Maybe it was the pumpkin pie that cured it? ;-)

I never had a migraine until the past year, and both times it happened it was associated with heavy drinking. For me it started out as an icepick headache in one eye, then turned into a migraine I had to sleep off. Just brutal, nothing like a hangover. I really hope your headaches get better.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I went to a networking event for a grad school I am looking at tonight. The event was in an office building but they had a free open bar there. However, I was able to socialize and drink only soda. I was tempted at times, but it felt good being able to meet people without drinking alcohol. Feel proud I didn't drink.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Nmd - congrats on 30 days......I think those first 30 days is one of the biggest milestones and maybe the hardest one to get to....it means we've done the hardest part and broke that initial cycle and now have bodies alcohol free. The rest is now down to a strong mental attitude and applying the things we've learned in those first 30 days.

safeandsound - also congrats on a belated 30 days and on 32 days. Last time I quit it was around the 6 weeks mark that I felt myself settling into the routine a bit.....just this time I need to not allow the complacency that also creeps in.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hay everyone, day 25 here. Just checking in. I have been really tired and the gloomy weather has me very lethargic so I've been pretty quiet. I couldn't go too long without checking in and on you guys. How is everyone?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I've been a bit solemn these past few days. Just trying to get caught up on some bureaucratic nonsense and do things I "should" do. Trying to clear out the obligatory list. Ugh.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

Great to see everyone.
NYC- great job! That took will power buddy.

Drinking dreams the last couple of nights. Woke up angry at myself. Just a dream.

Hope all I well in your world

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 10-15-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Thanks Alynn - stay strong you are doing great!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Alynn- Drinking dream here to, I woke up this morning with an awful sinking feeling in my stomach and was so desperately disappointed with myself.....then the fog cleared after a second or two and it was all a dream......in the dream drinking was a terrible thing, I was at a party and kept looking down at my hand and finding a half drunk pint of beer in it....i'd be really angry with myself put it down and then a minute later there'd be another drink in my hand.....feels like it must be your brain starting to let go of the dependence....every time I noticed the beer I was desperate to get rid of it.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
nmd

Not a whole lot going one here, just checking in. Thanks MM, it definitely has gotten easier after the first few weeks, the trick now is to remain vigilant. I've been meaning to sit down and as an exercise journal for myself in one place all of the bad things that have happened or can be associated with drinking that I can remember. Something I can go back to mentally or written down the next time I need to get through an urge to drink. That, and just move one with life... learn to deal with stress, procrastinate/avoid less, and over-all manage my reactions better when things don't go the way I want them to. Drinking became a part of my avoidance mentality. When things were out of my control, I went in the other direction or drank to "relax".
Old 10-15-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

What's up class....

Just checking in. Great fortitude my friends. Everyone is hanging tough!

I have another goal insight. This Saturday will be 54 days. I crumbled on November 9th 2013 at 54 days. I'm looking to pounce on that date.

Day 63 is next, blew that one on July 23rd 2011.

After that is day 84, which I majorly screwed on Dec 24th of 2012. I'll be knocking these down, one by one!

Then I'm off to the races (sobriety marathon, that is).......

Stay Strong............
Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Wow, after reading these posts ...this is so strange. I've been having "drinking dreams" too! Totally seems real and I also feel mad at myself and guilty for drinking in the dreams. Only to wake up and realize it's all a dream.

Had a decent thanksgiving weekend and stayed away from alcohol. Back to work and the week rolling along nicely. Trying not to take on too much right now outside of regular obligations in order to keep sobriety at forefront.

I made it to 30 days
Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hello all - thanks for being here. I thought I would introduce myself to the September crowd!.....I posted to the newcomers forum a few days after giving up. After a tough few days, I've actually found it reasonably easy not drinking until the last week or so.

Have been 34 days without drinking and noticed an urge to drink when I was out last night and I noticed a doubt whether I could continue to give up completely, whether I wanted to. I've been strong up til now. I remember the damage drink can do, and will check back here for motivation.

Anyway, useful to read through the posts to see everyone's experiences for people who've been drink-free for a similar time . Good luck all.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Andy

D