Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 6

Old 10-10-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

TL: I really enjoyed reading Stephen King's book: On Writing. A bit of a biography with a list of do's and don'ts, which are very sensible. Also, Elmore Leonard, one of my favourite writers, now deceased, wrote a famous set of 10 rules about good writing. Elmore Leonard's rules for writers | Books | theguardian.com
I miss Elmore.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
waking down

And, of course, the most important rule is that rules are for breaking, which is confusing to me because if I break that rule I wouldn't break any of the other rules and therefore I would not be following the rule that says rules are for breaking.

This guy sheds some some very yellow and somewhat Van Goghish sunfloweryness and nauseating light on the subject: John Hodgman's Advice to Writers - YouTube
Old 10-11-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Cheers for the persevering moderately talented!
Old 10-11-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
waking down

Are you dissin' my friend Hodgeman? I listened to his book on tape awhile back while working out. Very funny, but you have to appreciate dry humor.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
waking down

I am the persevering moderately talented, BTW, and proud of it.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Jackrussell - I love On Writing. I have re-read it multiple times and it's is one of the things that helped me realise and accept I had various drug and alcohol problems and that there was a solution.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

His mustache freaks me out.

I'm wondering if I know interesting things.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I'm going down to the library nearby and look for this book Tiger and all. Perhaps it can help me. This is such a good group-thoughtful and empathetic. I contribute little. But everyday I look forward to reading what you have to say. You have helped me keep my head above water during a difficult time.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Zero I may have missed a post but are you still in the desert somewhere or did you make it back home?
Old 10-12-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
waking down

Back home with sick dogs, puddles of pee and vomit, and the joys of the otherwise mundane.

Going to the desert is like taking acid. When you're there you think you're having epiphanies and deep thoughts, but when you come down (or back) nothing has changed.

I'm alright, though. Thanks for asking.

How's Virginia? Bet the colors are reaching peak.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I grabbed Leon Panetta's new memoir. Good read so far and a lot less controversial than the news might have you believe. They were just looking for a fight.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I thought John Hodgman was pretty funny. Very deadpan. Odd mustache, for sure. Lots of people have much knowledge and know tons of interesting stuff, but have little ability to tell much of a good story. It's the telling part of the story skill that I honour. Imagine a salt and pepper shaker on a round oak pedestal table. A begonia in a small clay pot is beside them. There's a cold half-eaten steak on a plate, and one steaming piece of broccoli on the table beside the plate. Now, have Alice Monroe, Henry Kissinger, Stephen Hawking and Robert Pelton write a single page story around the scene. My money would be on Alice to get the gold.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Glad you made it home safely Zero. Fall colors starting to show but probably a week away from peak. Actual Alcoholic, you are probably right about Panetta's book. Haven't read it yet. I have worked here DC for years including two stints on Capitol Hill.. Everything get distorted in an election cycle.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

What have you seen different, election cycle, Vet? You're certainly living in the middle of a hornets nest, globally speaking.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

It's supposed to be Spring here but we've had torrential rain and flooding the last few days. I am scared of storms and lightning and last night was terrifying. My cat couldn't have cared less though. She's the brave one. I'm the chicken.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get a break in the weather TL
D
Old 10-15-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Jach Russell, the difference in this election cycle and this Congress has been a terrible change in the way business gets done in Washington DC. I won't get into political issues themselves because that's not what we do here. When. I was a staff director in Congress I was and still am a Democrat (although I have voted Republican and independent several times). My mentor,however, was a crusty old Republican staff director from my home state. In those days we always strove to find common ground. Everyone generally came away from every negotiation glad about something and sad about something else. The key goal was governance. Governance! Now the key goal is simply winning the moment and trivializing or dehumanizing the political oppostition. Our country has suffered for it and the world has become more dangerous because of it. That both saddens me and dissapoints me.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hey folks. I was looking forward to driving thee blueridge parkway . Skyline drive. Instead I was racing tbrough and ahead of svere storms and tornado warnings. Stopped in a quaint little town last night, little sleep nite before. Got me a ribeye steak, crab bisque and fixins. Stayed in a restored hotel that's a national landmark. Hit road at 0630 and drve five hours through torrential rain. Heard of WIFI? My new expression is wafi. "What a @&@*$! Idiot" they're every where on the highways.
I took a walk around this little town and was admiring the old upright bases in an acoustic string shop. A few doors down there was a bunch playing in a local wine bar. I sat @nd listed for a spell and had a flass of water.3 guitars and bass (happened to be shop owner) and a chick playing a washboard with brushes. Spoke to the wine lady and discussed wines etc. I think I'm okay. Having a discussion about regional and world wines and not even thinking about having a sip. Felt pretty. Good about it.
Now time to unload and get to work around here.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
waking down

It's supposed to be autumn here, but today it was over 80 degrees F. and absolutely gorgeous!

Vet, I'm with you on the Washington situation. It's called rigid ideology with no room for compromise. Instead of negotiation and mutual respect we have posturing, distrust, and power-plays. Seeking win-win solutions doesn't seem to enter many minds these days. It seems time to review Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People:

Be Proactive
Begin with the End in Mind
Put First Things First
Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
Think Win-Win
Synergize
Sharpen the Saw

The version in Congress is more like:

Blame the Other Side
Begin with My Own Ass in Mind
Forget Priorities, Give Me What I Want
Don't Listen, Just Shout
Think You Have to Lose if I'm Gonna Win
Cooperation is for Sissies
Drink Heavily and Keep the Office Stocked with Donuts
Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good stuff. I like Vet's fond memory of the idea of governance. We have the same dynamic here in the North. Hope negotiated governance comes back. 'Negotiated' being the operative word. There seems to be no longer any respect for the other's point of view. I'm guilty too. Very easy to demonize divergent views. The devils and angels dichotomy. Unfortunately, sound bytes and social networking condition spin on policy. It's like advertising, selling skills, have way too much power here. I don't know what's the solution.