Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 7

Old 09-22-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post
Leeloo - Fantastic job on 4 weeks! Yeah yeah! Uh huh! Girrrl, that's the way we do it on Team A!

Here's your 4 week dance party...

WHOOOHOO, thank youuuu!

Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Calichris- thanks for sharing that incredible story! What a great confidence builder on your journey!

Branch- I'm certainly not up to Glandon's cardio but luckily my Ultra is not for 13 months. Just trying to rebuild my base. I've probably broken every rule about taking it slowly so I'm the wrong guy to ask here. I'd recommend going to a local running store and asking your question. These folks typically know what they are talking about. And, they can give you a plan to follow (or direct you to one). Also, they often organize local runs. Finally, some are helped by having a specific race to train for (I'm one). This gives me something to focus on and strive for.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ph7 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm still here daily, just not posting much.
This will be short coz I'm off to bed - early start.
I will try to give you a bigger update tomorrow (that will test how much my memory is improving)
Im now at Day 47 woo hoo.
Keep strong guys
Well done, ph7! Approaching the big 5-0 huh! Awesommmmeee!!
Hang on and be strong!!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey blackbird sorry, in my post I missed saying congrats on 40 days!

So many posts to keep up with and so much success !

I might have to start writing in a spiral notebook too and then post....
Old 09-22-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
Calichris- thanks for sharing that incredible story! What a great confidence builder on your journey!

Branch- I'm certainly not up to Glandon's cardio but luckily my Ultra is not for 13 months. Just trying to rebuild my base. I've probably broken every rule about taking it slowly so I'm the wrong guy to ask here. I'd recommend going to a local running store and asking your question. These folks typically know what they are talking about. And, they can give you a plan to follow (or direct you to one). Also, they often organize local runs. Finally, some are helped by having a specific race to train for (I'm one). This gives me something to focus on and strive for.

Ultra, It looks like you are cruising into 60 days tomorrow!?! WOW!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks! I didn't find the website until August so my number is artificially high for the group. I'm sure the July group is great but am very happy to be a part of this team.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any fall TV shows they enjoy watching and are looking forward to beginning?

I can't wait for Parenthood season 6 kicking off Thursday. Bittersweet, though, since it will be the final season.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi Team,

I got in from D.C./Baltimore late this afternoon instead of last night. I had a great alcohol-free weekend with my two sisters, three brothers and a few of their spouses.

We had to be in the D.C. area on Friday to sign papers as we sold some properties left to us by an uncle. My brother who is an attorney in D.C. arranged the date so we could all go to the Red Sox games in Baltimore. On Sunday we went to a music festival at a winery (oh, brother! that was a tough one.)

It took me more than an hour to catch up on all the posts since Thursday.
Since I did not take notes, I will congratulate all, especially those who struggled against the miserable AV. Happy Belated Birthday, Cute. Keep trying, Brach. Something will come up.

One thing I noticed is that my siblings all seem to have a take it or leave it attitude toward alcohol. I think all but one sister who doesn't like beer had a hot dog and a beer or two, that was it. I noticed some people that sat near us had no drinks or one or two, while others had one after another after another. The same thing held true at the winery.

I will post more tomorrow. I need to finish unpacking do some laundry and go to bed. Today is Day 38 for me.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Calichris, that was one feel good post! That is why we are all doing this! Great job. Scooter, way to get through a very tempting atmosphere! I was around beer tents this weekend, kinda tough!

Thanks London, I get that. I think I had a bad Monday, quite unexpectedly given how I felt when I woke up. I started thinking about getting away on vacation somewhere sunny. I then pictured myself on a beach, then the AV asked me if I really thought it would be fun without drinks. I started down a spiral, then it led to how can I do business travel and pass up the airport bars, pubs in new cities, etc. then started to think, how on earth can I go FOREVER without alcohol. I realized I was relapsing, as this thinking set me up last time. I read a bunch of posts, went to health store, bought wheatgrass, kale and stuff and got back to a healthy positive place. Tough one though. I was picturing cold pints with water trickling down the side, cold, frozen drinks, etc. it was darn near a romantic daydream with me looking into the sexy eyes of a beer! Uuuhhh! Vile temptress!!

I read a post today about someone slipping at 100 days. I admit it scared me. I thought, is this inevitable? Then I remembered all the folks with years sober here. I channeled my inner Mr T. Got to learn to live the sober lifestyle vs. the avoiding alcohol lifestyle, does that make sense?

Brach, you got this dude, you are putting the right vibes out now, no doubt it will attract success. Absolutely no doubt.

Knb, I dig the new picture.

Pleased to say, too many sober success days to remember after reading posts tonight. This group can really be a rock to lean on. Closing out tonight, when I wake up it will be five weeks poison free. Hugs and love guys.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi August group... It's been a rough day for me. I woke up super happy to be sober and hangover free but just couldn't get into the swing of things at work, very unmotivated. Then, when I got home, I was unsettled, bored and blah. There have been major issues going on with my father and tonight was bad. His Drinking has progressed to the point where he becomes an entirely different, awful person. It's a long story but it is breaking my heart and tearing our family apart. Tonight he badgered, harassed and insulted me and it devastated me. I have always adored my father and I don't even know who this man is anymore. It is a strong reminder of why alcohol needs to stay out of my life for good, but of course my addiction tells me I'm different, at least I don't act like that. YET.
Anyway, I cried harder than I have in a long time.. Sobbed actually. I know all I can only control my own actions and even though I don't feel happy, or peaceful, or content in anyway tonight, I am sober, and that is enough.
Good night and thanks for listening. I read all of your posts every day and you all really keep me going, even though I don't post much
Old 09-22-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, betterlife. It's tough stuff. But I'm proud of you for staying sober. You know, as much as we want a drink to "deal" with the hard moments, it doesn't work for us anymore. In fact, it makes it worse when it comes down to it.

You sound like a strong person to be handling that. Stronger than me.

And we are here for you to get those feelings out, ok? Lean on us, too!

Have a good nights sleep! Big hugs.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

betterlife, I agree with Apple, what you said is really tough stuff. Its hard enough for us to continue on our sober paths, without being badgered, harassed and insulted.

You bet we are listening to you and our hearts are with you!!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Morning everyone

On a very early train into work. The cold weather is starting to arrive and it's still not quite light. The seasons have changed. Plenty of work to do today and then I have a few days off. But do you know what? I am actually looking forward to clearing everything. No panic, no anxiety, just calm and I have clear thoughts as to what my tasks are.

forabetterlife Sorry you had a tough day, that's a lot to deal with. I am sorry that your father is in the middle of alcohol too. It hurts but you know it's not the real him that said those things to you. It's good to cry and let it all out. So pleased for you for staying sober and posting and sharing. Keep doing that. My best wishes to you xx
Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Applekat - Oh, do I ever. The wait for the next season of Supernatural has been driving me nuts. Also waiting for Once Upon a Time to start back up.

Scooter - congrats on making it through the weekend. especially because of the winery! I also find that watching other people drink normally helps me as a reminder that I can’t.

Determined - Haha, love channeling the Mr T. Maybe we need to come up with the Mr T summoning spell, or a channel your T meditation?

Betterlife - I’m sorry to hear about your father. Sending hugs your way. Well done on channeling it to strengthen your own resolve.

London - Doesn’t it feel great? I think I spend my first (almost) anxiety free day yesterday. I don’t remember when that was the case last time.

My whole body hurts… but from working out, so that’s great. Part of my new challenge also is to meditate at least 3 times a week. Completed 20 mins of a loving-kindness meditation yesterday.

I find harnessing loving-kindness as well as mindfulness are so important to me and help so much with the anxiety and guilt.

Feeling sore but happy in body, heart and mind.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feeling more human today guys thanks/
Prayers for your Dad and for you Fabl = lean on the support here.

Guys, we're not really meant to link to other forums here.

It's own of the few stipulations the owners insist on. I won't remove this one cos it's been quoted so much, but it's better to PM forum links to anyone interested in future.

Thanks

D
Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Morning all.
I have woken up mega peeved for no apparent reason. Why do I feel like this...boredom perhaps. Nothing to look forward to maybe. I don't understand as I have no reason to feel like this. Normally I would binge eat , or I would drink when I feel like this.

But not doing both as I am trying to be healthy so it's just me and these stupid emotions.

Man it sucks though
Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Guys, we're not really meant to link to other forums here.

D
Oh shoot, I'm sorry D, I didn't realise.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post
Thank you Brach!

Glandon is probably more qualified than me on running advice, but when I started running (which I always hated) I used and app called Zombies Run!, which is amazing and makes it fun. The game: you're a runner in a post zombie apocalypse world and need to find ammunition and such. It's all via audio in between your normal music while you run. Big fan.

You can check out a video here:
https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
wowow! Being a bit of a nerd myself I'm a huge zombie movie/game fan so will be giving this a go for sure! Thank you so much, it will make the whole running thing less serious and such a drag, awesome! Just hope I don't end up getting too into it running down the road screaming 'zombiessss run for your lifeeee!!!'
Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

No problem Leeloo - thanks for understanding.

D
Old 09-23-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice ultra, I will ask for advice when I get back to the gym later this week also.

Forabetterlife - I'm sorry to hear about your family struggles, but you sure must be an asset and a positive influence being sober. Best wishes.

London I hope you enjoy your day being able to be as productive and positive as you now appear to be in your recovery.

Leeloo oh yeah I love metta/loving kindness! Such a great form of meditation. I need to up my game though and set aside more time to meditate. Thanks for the reminder!

Happy to hear you're perking up Dee!

Hey Knb, I think everybody (even 'normal' people!) has days like that unfortunately and if my experience of the last few days is anything to go by, you may well feel completely different by this afternoon, I hope so!! Do you have anything planned for the day to keep you occupied? Best wishes to you.

I'm going for a wander around Little Moreton Hall today, it's an awesome looking house from the 1500's, it should be interesting. I've also gotta send in tons more apps!! Oh I may also go for a run now I've said I would haha. I've been putting off getting stuck into my step 4 so need to get on with that and will be doing some meditation also. When I put it down in words I still feel blown away by the change from what my life was like when drinking daily, I love it!!!!

Sending all you guys positive power and hoping you have a great sober day.

PS - those struggling keep connected to the forums, it helped me so much thee other day when I was down.