Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 6

Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Went to dinner today for my husbands birthday. Earlier in the day I had shared how difficult it was for me to go to dinner and sit at the bar rather than in the dining room. Tonight we sat in the dining room. I drank diet soda and he drank lemonade. Had a nice dinner with no alcohol! Day. 3 down!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

50 k. DANG!!!! Impressive.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great words folks! Now that I've told my wife, parents, kids, and you- I'm officially accountable.

Luckily I have a year or so to train.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Went to dinner today for my husbands birthday. Earlier in the day I had shared how difficult it was for me to go to dinner and sit at the bar rather than in the dining room. Tonight we sat in the dining room. I drank diet soda and he drank lemonade. Had a nice dinner with no alcohol! Day. 3 down!
I know what a milestone this is!!!! Dinner out without the bar and alcohol for both you? and that he chose to not drink for you!! I bet you are feeling pretty good. Way to go!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
Thanks for the great words folks! Now that I've told my wife, parents, kids, and you- I'm officially accountable.

Luckily I have a year or so to train.
I would need a lifetime to train for 32 miles! I'm so rooting for you grace/UM I did a 20 k 2 years ago. It was hard but a great experience. 50 is a little out of my league but you have me thinking maybe I'll aim for the half marathon next fall. Goals are good. :-) running is medicine.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penkins View Post

I know what a milestone this is!!!! Dinner out without the bar and alcohol for both you? and that he chose to not drink for you!! I bet you are feeling pretty good. Way to go!!!
I concur ... good stuff rah
Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Way to go Rah! Spend those empty calories on dessert instead :P
Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UltraMarathonere View Post
I can be pretty obsessive at times (just ask my wife, who is a bonafied saint)!
Ultra, very impressive undertaking with a 50k run planned!!! Give us more details... keep us up to date on your training.

I have a cycling coach (former US Pro Cyclist, raced Tour de France, etc major stage races in Europe). He told me an interesting point about AL and athletics. After a hard training effort (running, cycling, etc) there is tendency to want a cold beer- at least I certainly had that tendency, but my coach alerted me that when I did that, I was actually filling the glycogen void in my muscles from the hard exercise effort with Alcohol vs. electrolytes, and other good things, that would help rebuild the muscle. Boy, if I needed an additional motivator to quit AL usage, that was it. I spend literally hours each day on my bike training hard, only to then fill my depleted muscles with AL?!?! REALLY, what a moron I was. I realized that I liked cycling and being healthy and fit, more than I liked AL. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Go rah!!!!!! Xx
Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Morning guys, had a great sober sleep and woke up on day 19. DAY 19! every day feels like a tiny miracle. I do not miss waking up with 'the fear' of what did I do? what time did I crash? who did I upset / what did I say, Is this my bed??!! another busy day at work ahead, and no excuse needed when I get there for being late as hungover and struggling to function. im being very rigid and organised and routine based at the moment (not my character at all), as find that helps me to structure my day and focus. may not be a long term thing but I need it at the mo. hey guys im after advice....ive not been to an aa meeting as yet, beacause ive been ok so far, but I would like to go to one as then when times are harder it wont be going for the first time. trouble is, im really scared of going that first time - and im damn sure everyone else there was too, but how do you act, what do you do? do you just go sit down, do you sign in? do you have to talk / share or is that optional? would really appreciate if someone could share what meetings are like (am sure there are many different ones), just to ease my mind! Have a fantastic day all, see you tonight :-)
Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Wow, 50k! That's crazy and very inspiring.

I definitely need to work on my self motivation in regards to meditating and working out every day. Any tips from the team on that one?

Maybe I'll start by making myself a schedule...
Old 09-16-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

hey pink all the meetings I've been to run a similar format;

you walk in, there are usually people stood around talking who will introduce themselves

get a coffee/tea (free), take a seat and the meeting will start

they quite often ask if there are any newcomers, you can introduce yourself here if you like, just your name is cool

then there is a main share by the person chairing the meeting

after that other people come in freely to share about their experience, strength and hope

you do not need to share at all and it was suggested to me to just listen at my first meeting

if you want to share you can though! after the meeting no doubt some other ladies will come over to introduce themselves and have a chat.

oh and at the end a pot comes around which you can put some change in towards the meeting, but at your first meeting you are usually told there is no need to contribute

it's all very friendly and you have nothing to worry about, I'd highly suggest it, it's really helping me and I've also met some great sober people there.

any other questions just let me know
Old 09-16-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hey pink! Here's a couple of bits on AA from my experience. It is helping me. I know a couple of the other UK guys on here are also going so maybe they can add a little more. I don't think meetings vary hugely no matter what the country.

There are different meeting formats but usually someone speaks for about 20 minutes and tells their story and how they are recovering. As an alcoholic I can really identify with some of the stories. Then any member can 'share' what's going on with them, worries, issues, anything really. It's usually seats in rows, not in a circle like you see on TV! So no-one is staring at you etc.

They will usually ask if there are any newcomers who want to introduce themselves at the start, but you don't have to say anything. You don't have to say anything at all, def no signing in. If you can muster up the courage to say you are new you are more likely to have people chat to.

You can just show up. No-one will force you to say anything, speak or force you into anything and you can sit quietly and listen if you want. The hardest thing is walking through the door. But when you do you will see that people there are all ages and all walks of life. All you need to do is ask someone for help and it will come. There are also lots of women in the rooms I go to. (I say this as I think you are a lady!)

Rarely the sharing goes around the room in turns in some meetings, don't panic if this happens, you just say 'thanks I will pass'

At the end they will pass a pot for optional donation. You are not expected to put anything in at your first meeting (there is no rule to put in at all)

I say go for it, and have a good listen and see if it is for you. Don't be off by people talking about god and the 'big book' - just listen to any similarities in the stories.

Hope that helped!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hey all!

Tuesday and eyes down for a sober day.

Docs tonight to get some medical stuff sorted, a little nervous about that.

Sorry, double post on AA Brach.

Similar experiences though :-)

I am loving the 50k challenge and new name - great stuff!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes at the Drs

D
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Ultra, freakin awesome!! I have a friend who runs those epic runs. I certainly don't, I run about 8 miles or so each Sunday. My friend the ultra guy did give me a tip on shoes. The ultra crew folks are now into "zero drop" shoes. Basically they are flat on the bottom and help you go really long distances as they change your foot strike.

I bought some by company called Altra. Love them even though I am nowhere near an ultra guy. Check em out as they have trail versions too.

Rah, way to kick it! Doesn't that feel great!! Strange in that it is more enjoyable on so many levels. Why did we think we needed alcohol to eat dinner? Crazy.

Day 30 today. Eye on the prize team. Quote for the day - a successful person is someone who can build a mansion with the bricks that people throw at them!

Happy Tuesday!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,
Catching up on all your posts. I am really tired at the moment, I am up at night watching mares to foal. I am nervous and tetchy as I have a lot invested here. So I am reading a lot on here and hope to get to a meeting this fri.
I am learning to accept my quietness with people I dont feel comfortable around. I used to drink and be a comedian but now I am happy to be mellow.
Thanks so much for sharing all your dont miss stories.
I have my partner back thurs so I am trying to get my AV under control before the drink gets flowing again.
Goodluck with it Dingo, I struggle with depression and I am trying not to beat myself up so badly everytime I need an easy day.
Ultramarathonere? Wow I used to be a triathlon junkie but I went travelling for 6mths and came back a slob! Goodluck.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UltraMarathonere View Post
Hey All! I started reading and thanking folks for their posts then realized I should probably reintroduce myself first.

This is the poster formerly known as GraceCathedral (I promise!). The name change today was based on my decision to run a 50k(ish) / 32 mile trail race next Fall. The furthest trail race I've completed has been a 10k and I've run 13 on the roads. So, this will take some work and commitment.

For me, this begins with driving the idea into my subconscious and "seeing" myself as an Ultra Marathoner (my heart just beat a little faster as I wrote that). Since I try to check in daily- my new name will reinforce the way I'm trying to see myself- and the goal for which I will ultimately accomplish.

I'm really enjoying watching the evolution of the team and as always- look forward to celebrating the tremendous successes (just under a different name)!
Wow. Very inspiring! What are you doing to train? The best I have done is 5 miles in just over an hour. I would love to run longer, get fitter etc
Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinklinzangel View Post
Morning guys, had a great sober sleep and woke up on day 19. DAY 19! every day feels like a tiny miracle. I do not miss waking up with 'the fear' of what did I do? what time did I crash? who did I upset / what did I say, Is this my bed??!! another busy day at work ahead, and no excuse needed when I get there for being late as hungover and struggling to function. im being very rigid and organised and routine based at the moment (not my character at all), as find that helps me to structure my day and focus. may not be a long term thing but I need it at the mo. hey guys im after advice....ive not been to an aa meeting as yet, beacause ive been ok so far, but I would like to go to one as then when times are harder it wont be going for the first time. trouble is, im really scared of going that first time - and im damn sure everyone else there was too, but how do you act, what do you do? do you just go sit down, do you sign in? do you have to talk / share or is that optional? would really appreciate if someone could share what meetings are like (am sure there are many different ones), just to ease my mind! Have a fantastic day all, see you tonight :-)
Brach and sthlondon answered your question. I was very nervous at my first meeting and I was shocked at how similar my thought process was with everyone else's in the room.

I no longer attend meetings but I am glad I went as it really gave me insight to why I was drinking. It did motivate me to stop or rethink as a lot of stories I heard were extremely inspiring.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Ok I need some help here. My head is in a right mess today.

I spoke with the father of my son last night. Doesn't sound like a big deal but we hadn't spoken for over 9 years. I live in the Uk and he lives in Israel so we have been living separate lives ever since and he never really made the effort to be a part of his son's life. But now he wants to rekindle his relationship with his son.

This will mean he is flying over to the UK and staying with us for a week. The plan is Christmas time when my son breaks up from school.

I am overwhelmed. Its the past coming back to my present and I fear I will want to drink on it when he is here?! Christmas is bad enough for triggers but I am worried he will tip me over the edge. I shouldn't worry about this because its months ahead but I cant help it.i have been in tears this morning because our conversation has really haunted me.

Help ;-(