SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of September 2014 part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/344792-class-september-2014-part-2-a.html)

Dee74 09-11-2014 09:00 PM

Class of September 2014 part 2

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2014-a-20.html

D

LadyinBC 09-12-2014 12:07 AM

shotgun! lol

Thread #2! Lets go everyone lots of support for this month, make Dee start a 3rd thread :D.

bellaboos 09-12-2014 01:30 AM

Morning all :)
Hope you're all well today. Test for me tomorrow. I'm travelling out of town for a friends birthday. I'm the only one not drinking out of about 10. I'm looking forward to it and have no desire at all to drink but I know it can suddenly pop up so I'll be checking in here often.
Hello to the newer than me newcomers
Have a strong sober weekend happyface:

Dee74 09-12-2014 01:44 AM

Have a great sober time, bellaboos :)

D

Luper 09-12-2014 02:01 AM

Good Morning class!

Glad to see everyone hanging in there, and also for those that continue to struggle but are not giving up the fight. Thankful to read the positive posts here every day.

Day 17 for me and looking forward to a nice, quiet, sober weekend. I had enough stress this week. Plus the temps dropped. No more summer here...it's cold. Brrr.

All the best to each and every one one of you!

CPM 09-12-2014 02:12 AM

I've got heaps to keep me occupied this weekend, not fun things, but still better then the alternative :)

Everybody keep focused this weekend and remember the consequences of that first drink.

JasonNorth 09-12-2014 03:12 AM

One Dozen Days & I'm Delightfully Delirious.

Ok i am not actually delirious but I couldn't think of anything better begininng with D!!

Still not bad eh! :dance3:

Tic127 09-12-2014 03:48 AM

Morning all, hope you are all coping ok!? Got my little lad for the weekend, looking forward to being a sober human nurf gun target. "TAKE COVER........!"

Day 15 whoooop whoooop :)

Pretend3r 09-12-2014 04:01 AM

Have a good time bellaboos hang in there. Have a good day class! I didn't drink last night tho I wanted to and have no regrets!!!! Headed work early, first time in years.

Dee74 09-12-2014 04:15 AM

congratulations to all you guys hitting milestones :)

D

Alynn 09-12-2014 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Luper (Post 4894131)
Good Morning class! Glad to see everyone hanging in there, and also for those that continue to struggle but are not giving up the fight. Thankful to read the positive posts here every day. Day 17 for me and looking forward to a nice, quiet, sober weekend. I had enough stress this week. Plus the temps dropped. No more summer here...it's cold. Brrr. All the best to each and every one one of you!

Brrrrrr I was in Chicago last night..

I can do all things through he who strengthens me

ForwardMotion 09-12-2014 05:06 AM

Good morning everyone! :) 12 days looking quite spiffy on me, dontcha think?? :)

Have fun bellaboos, check in with us, we're always here if you need us! :)

Good for you pretend3r, stay strong!

Tic, have fun!

TGIF, hope everyone has a great sober start to their weekend! :)

Neverthought 09-12-2014 05:12 AM

Hi,

Day (18). In a nice groove despite a rough morning yesterday which was not a fall-out from alcohol by any means.

Yes, fall is knocking in north-eastern PA as well. I love it!

Stay Strong Septemberites.....

Findingtheway 09-12-2014 05:50 AM

Good Morning class! Today makes 16 days of continuous sobriety.

Just past that half way marker to the first month again. Thanks class for the support and understanding. Together we can do this! :ring

Panacea 09-12-2014 06:01 AM

Good morning class from a "chilly" 88 degrees in NC. I love Fall and I love how the South does Fall! We are still swimming and wearing sleeveless shirts, shorts and no socks! :)

Hitting day 11 here...not really counting, but it feels good nonetheless.

Take care, Pan

Avice 09-12-2014 07:32 AM

Hi all. Chilly here in Ottawa too. I like wearing Fall clothes though, so that's a plus.

thisibelieve. Hello and welcome.
Neverthought. Skeletons with party hats on? Nice. I don't think mine would fit in the closet though. Might need a storage locker.
JasonNorth. Congrats on hitting your milestone. Woo!
ANewDayNYC. I understand the frustration of having to deny yourself a night out. I had to do the same on day 2, but I know it was worth it. Getting out of this sickness is the most important thing to me right now.
bellaboos. Have fun at the party, and check in if you feel tempted.

I hit a milestone yesterday - 7 days. My next milestone will be day 31...I hit day 30 four years ago and relapsed. Yeah...I know...pretty long relapse, right?

I'm still extremely tired and it's starting to frustrate me. I actually have a lot of thinking to do. My future, my job (I'm unemployed for the first time in a long time), my desire to exercise...I'm just way too tired to do much of anything.

However, I did read my horoscope today (no, I don't really believe in astrology, but I like Rob Brezsny's Free Will Astrology). I found it really inspiring and it reminded me to take a step back and not try to fix everything at once. I'll paste it below - it might resonate with some of you.

"Those who invoke the old metaphor about the caterpillar that transforms into the butterfly often omit an important detail: the graceful winged creature is helpless and weak when it first wriggles free of its chrysalis. For a while it's not ready to take up its full destiny. As you get ready for your own metamorphosis, Libra, keep that in mind. Have plans to lay low and be self-protective in the days following your emergence into your new form. Don't try to do loop-the-loops right away."

Neverthought 09-12-2014 10:09 AM

Hey Avice...

From what you've expressed since becoming acquainted with you, you couldn't ask for a better message than that. Whether you believe in astrology or not, heed the good advice!

My first relapse took 1 1/2 years to pull myself together after 63 days, my second took one year after 84 days (that one hurt), my third took 6 months after 54 days. I see some people on SR go right back to sobriety after a slip. For whatever reason, I cannot just pull myself out of it. I guess I just give in disappointment and then I tell myself 'F it.

Strangely enough those intervals are very accurate. Maybe I have something to look forward too after all, e.g., slowly moving in the right direction.

Alynn 09-12-2014 10:53 AM

Hope everyone is having a great Friday! Peaceful weekend ahead if we just stick w/ it !

TryingInTexas 09-12-2014 10:58 AM

Friday. Years ago there was a happy hour every Friday at my office. I was usually one of the first ones there and one of the last to leave. I used to think those were the good old days. Now I just think they were the old days. Today, I just want to get home this evening without worrying about a DWI anymore!!!

ForwardMotion 09-12-2014 11:47 AM

Avice, I'm a Libra too. Normally don't put a lot of stock in astrology but like reading mine on occasion, and I really like that....good advice for the newly sober of any sign!

Neverthought 09-12-2014 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by TryingInTexas (Post 4894834)
Friday. Years ago there was a happy hour every Friday at my office. I was usually one of the first ones there and one of the last to leave. I used to think those were the good old days. Now I just think they were the old days. Today, I just want to get home this evening without worrying about a DWI anymore!!!

I stepped back in time after reading your message about the happy hours.

We used to have Christmas parties at our office were I worked too. I still keep in touch with some of those guys and that was 20 years ago. Those parties actually stopped a few years before I left (like in '95), because they became such huge liabilities.

As you say "they were the 'ole days". They were fun though, and we were safe (or we thought we were), and I didn't have a care in the world. Thank goodness I never hurt anyone.

Luper 09-12-2014 01:25 PM

wow, this day took a turn for the worse...

Anger is a huge trigger for me right now. Lies, broken trust...coming from someone I have considered a friend for a long time...they thought I wouldn't find out.

Really trying not to fall into this trap right now, although my AV is yelling and encouraging... :( One drink will take away the hurt, the pain.

Think I better hang out here for a while if that's ok...

JimJim 09-12-2014 01:41 PM

What's up Luper? :)

JimJim 09-12-2014 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Luper (Post 4895057)
One drink will take away the hurt, the pain.

Lies man.

I've drank to numb down pain, it doesn't work for me anymore though. I'm sure you realise that too now?

Alynn 09-12-2014 02:04 PM

Stay strong Luper! I'm learning to battle that voice also... It will only make things worse.. Were here for you!

jazzfish 09-12-2014 02:49 PM

Hang in there, Luper. Drinking won't make it better.

The thing I hate most about early sobriety is that "feeling" reawakens. Unfortunately, most of those feeling relate to regret, anger, hopelessness, self-pity, dread... I know that it is something I need to get through, but I know all too well how to temporarily numb it all back down.

But today, that is no long how I want to live. I will live with the discomfort and feel, really feel, what I've made of my life. I will not drink today.

Luper 09-12-2014 03:57 PM

Thanks JimJim, Alynn, and jazzfish. I have calmed down and read alot on here. Also went back to when I wrote down how I felt that first week. Funny how you think you can remember, but when I read it, it helped. I did not leave my house...

I know I can't control people or their actions. This was a person I thought was really a true friend. There I go thinking again... it hurts. I don't ask for much from people. It's usually the other way around, which could be a big part of my problem. I asked her one favor... she did the total opposite and then lied to my face when I asked her about it. No wonder I have trust issues.

Wanted to stay up for the meeting tonight, but think I will make some hot chocolate, take a hot bath, and try to get some sleep. I really don't want to go back to day 1 after I have been through hell the last 17 days and am starting to feel better. You are right. It won't take away the problem anyway.

Thanks for being there! Enjoy your weekend.

JasonNorth 09-12-2014 04:24 PM

Glad you pulled through & can proudly start day 18 tomorrow instead of starting day 1 feeling miserable.

Take care & keep strong. x

Dee74 09-12-2014 04:41 PM

I hope you feel better in the morning Luper :)
Congrats on 7 days Avice :)

D

Inflagrante 09-12-2014 04:53 PM

Hey class! I'm still going strong at day 32. Phew!

I've had a somewhat rough couple of days. I've struggled with depression for most of my life, and some bad feelings came over me recently. I'm at the point where I have to redefine myself without alcohol, and I'm not really sure how to go about it. When I was younger, I had a lot of issues with the impulse control and anger, and I have been called crazy on more than one occasion. I've worked really hard to change who I am and take responsibility for my emotions, but I feel like I can't make any mistakes in my interpersonal relationships or everyone is going to hate me.

Yeah, my self worth is pretty low, and alcohol helped me isolate and not really care what anyone thought for a long time because I could just wash everything away with vodka. I'm trying really hard not to dwell on these feelings because they don't lead me on a good path. I'm not sure how to set myself on a good path without beating myself up over my past.

The funny thing is -- I have no interest in drinking. At this point, I want to lose weight more than I want to drink, and I've been steadily losing since I stopped drinking. I hope it stays that way! Keeping busy really does work.