Notices

Class of September 2014 part 2

Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Day 17 and I feel pretty good, outside of the mental haze. I need to work at reprogramming my habits though. I need help there. I'm lucky to have a supportive partner who is there to help, and to help keep me busy.
I'm glad to be part of this committed team!
Hang in there everyone, and have a sober day.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by razor15 View Post
Day 17 and I feel pretty good, outside of the mental haze. I need to work at reprogramming my habits though. I need help there. I'm lucky to have a supportive partner who is there to help, and to help keep me busy.
I'm glad to be part of this committed team!
Hang in there everyone, and have a sober day.
Wow, good old Davey and Goliath... that brings back memories. Did you catch Commander Tom on TV as a kid up in Ontario?

Welcome to the class I think! 17 days is awesome and glad to hear you have a supportive partner
Old 09-22-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi all, I will introduce myself properly tomorrow I hope, and comment and engage properly too. For now I just want to say that I am really proud of myself for not drinking today: it was a really bad day and I had two major and several minor triggers. Today was the biggest test so far for me. I'm pleased that I'll be waking up to Day 14 tomorrow. I hope my experience today will make me stronger. Goodnight guys
Old 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Snow bunting- Glad you are here and did not drink today!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Day 1 without a drink

Hi. I've been lurking for about a month - right after my RAH went into rehab. So yes I'm a double winner.

I haven't been drinking as much since he's been away but I've still been drinking almost every day and have been hating myself for it. This morning I woke up fuzzy headed, dumped the remains of my big bottle of wine and haven't had a drink today. He is coming home on Friday and I've been extremely anxious about it. I went to an Al-anon meeting last Friday and saw a new therapist on Wednesday - I have another therapy appointment this week and will be going back to the same meeting on Friday (I really liked the group).

I also know from reading here that I'm an enabler and am codependent. I have a lot to work on but I'm looking forward to finding the person I used to be and enjoying life more. I know I have to focus on my own recovery and give him room to do the same. He sounds really great and very focused. Sometimes he has a tendency to run me over though when he gets zealous on things. Or maybe I should say the I "let" him run me over or I just jump on his train.

I'll be back tomorrow!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Cecila44--CONGRATULATIONS!

neverthought--thanks for your reply. Gives me something to look forward to. Loved the drawer metaphor too.

Welcome to the newcomers! This is an awesome group.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Great job Snow Bunting!! And welcome walkinganewpath! This is an incredibly active and supportive class!

TryinginTexas, you gf might not have something to share with you right at this moment, but we are here for you. Keep up the good ok Maybe toss the crappy white wine? Personally, I would be uncomfortable in your situation...

I had a really good day. Day 3. Seems like the first really good day in a long time. I am incredibly blessed to have a very supportive family.
I even went to Bikam yoga tonight, I'm riding high on those exercise induced endorphins for sure! Not to mention ice cream was buy one get two free at the store tonight. I'm all stocked up and ready for the apocalypse

Hope to finally get some good sleep tonight. I love reading everything people are able to share here. This is a great little group.

I found a great book at the library the other day and just thought I would share here as well, it's called "Drink: The Intimate relationship Between women and Alcohol" by Ann Dowsett Johnson. It's a great mix of this woman's personal story, but also very informative, a lot of scientific study and evidence....It's an easy read. Definitely recommend it for anyone here.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Thanks safeandsound!

Catching up on reading here tonight... Glad everyone is moving forward and bouncing back...

So I went to my first AA meeting tonight! It was a small women's group.. I completely bawled like a baby. ( So embarrassing). But told a little of my story and was welcomed with open arms. Doing whatever it takes to keep this sober bus moving! Day 22!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Thisibelieve, I am right there with you at day 3. You are so lucky to have such a supportive family I have always called myself a closet alcoholic. I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. Thanks for the recommendation on the book. I will have to check it out Welcome all the newcomers and I hope everyone has a great night
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Congrats on 22 days Alynn! Your doing great Good for you for getting all the support you can get.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
On my way....

I'm back to day 1 class, drank last night, let myself down. Picking right back up and carrying on with sobriety, going to let it be a stumble but not a complete fall. I got a case of the "who cares" and didn't reach out...I'm disappointed in myself for that.

Proud of everyone who is still carrying on sober or have renewed their commitment to sobriety. Rejoining with a renewed vigor and determination to be sober and most importantly...STAY sober.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForwardMotion View Post
I'm back to day 1 class, drank last night, let myself down. Picking right back up and carrying on with sobriety, going to let it be a stumble but not a complete fall. I got a case of the "who cares" and didn't reach out...I'm disappointed in myself for that. Proud of everyone who is still carrying on sober or have renewed their commitment to sobriety. Rejoining with a renewed vigor and determination to be sober and most importantly...STAY sober.
It's alright girl! Just a stumble!!!! Your back and making progress and that's what counts.

Thank you deanya! How are you doing?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Wow, good old Davey and Goliath... that brings back memories. Did you catch Commander Tom on TV as a kid up in Ontario?

Welcome to the class I think! 17 days is awesome and glad to hear you have a supportive partner
Commander Tom! For sure I saw that on the Buffalo station I think.fond memories as kid growing up in the 70's. :-) they seemed like such simpler times.
Slower, innocent, and full of promise.
With the best sitcoms ever!! Lol
Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

THIS IS AVICE. HELP ME DEE. OR OTHER MOD.
I can't get into my account...keeps saying that I've exceeded my login attempts. Wha?
This is the message:
Wrong username or password. You have used up your failed login quota! Please wait 15 minutes before trying again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!

It also seems that any new account I create can oly be logged into ONCE. This is a problem.

Anyway, my new name is pretty cool, so I guess I'll post under this one for now.

Hi and welcome to DearPrudence, oldskoolraver, Needinghelp82, snowbunting, razor15, walkinganewpath.

thisibelieve.
Originally Posted by thisibelieve View Post
"In a murderous time
the heart breaks and breaks
and lives by breaking.
It is necessary to go
through dark and deeper dark
and not to turn.
I am looking for the trail.

-Stanley Kunitz "The Testing Tree"
I absolutely LOVE this quote. I'm going to do something with that in Photoshop and make some wall art out of it. I find it hugely inspiring.

Findingtheway. All this talk about AA chips is making me hungry. Yeah, I know you can't eat them, but still.
Originally Posted by Findingtheway View Post
realized I want to go to sleep and wake up sober. I want control over what I say and what I do...I don't have that when I'm drinking.
Me too. I still can't believe some of the stuff I did drunk. Totally nutso bonkers out of control.

deanyya. Sorry to hear you're feeling bad, but yeah - at least you can lay in bed and take it easy for a bit. How's the book so far?

Alynn. Yay for three weeks! Glad the meeting went well.

mystified. So cool that you got to have that once in a lifetime kind of experience sober!

nmd. Good for you for getting through the weekend. I have no idea what a diver day is though...

safeandsound. Hey anger's OK, man. Whatever works. Sorry about the migrane, tho. I've never had one, and after what I've read about them, I'm pretty sure that I could do without ever experiencing one. Gah.

Neverthought. One month! You are the first to reach the top and plant your flag. I'm not too far behind you...I shall join you soon.
I am exactly like that with the euphoria/energy aspect of alcohol. Do I miss it? Oddly, not really - even though I've been experiencing a bit of depression over the past couple days. It was weird to not drink while cooking, though. However, I have found something to replace it. Here's a recipe for y'all.

The Incredible Unbeatable Delicious Watermelon Drink That You Might Sell Your Mother's Soul For Except You Don't Have To Because Watermelon Is Not Hard To Find
Get blender.
Cut up 1/4 watermelon and put in blender.
Add coconut juice (available at fine Asian grocers and those annoying organic places that charge too much for everything).
Turn on blender.
Turn off blender.
Fill glass 3/4 full and top off with mineral water.

You write music? What do you play?

Cecilia44. Re: the congestion - I found myself sneezing more than usual. Par for the course in my weird withdrawal. I get the standard stuff, but I have a couple odd symptoms. I'm just trying to roll with it the best I can. Congratulations on a week! That's a biggie.

Luper.
Originally Posted by Luper View Post
If you slipped up...start again. So glad you are here! One day at a time
Couldn't agree more.

BlissWithin. The AV is stubborn, but you sound like you're stubborner. No, stubborner is not a word, but it should be.

TryingInTexas. Why don't you pour the wine out or give it away? I mean, if she's not interested in keeping it there's no point in having it around. I hear what you're saying about your GF, but maybe she just isn't aware of how difficult it is. I actually sent a friend a website outlining withdrawal symptoms, because he seemed to think that I could quit and immediately be 'normal'. Whatever that is.

ForwardMotion. Don't worry, man. As long as you stay with us. Reach out next time and try to ride it out until one of us has something to say about it.

I'm feeling a little better today. Sort of only half depressed. I think that some of it may have been due to slipping back into the old habit of not eating during the day (so I could get drunk quicker in the afternoon). Gotta watch that.

I also updated my Meetup.com profile and joined a couple groups. Finally. I'm going to do trampoline dodgeball! That should be...interesting. Hope I don't get my arse kicked. I also did some yoga today and I'm going to try out a candlelight meditation tonight (I subscribe to a podcast called Yogamazing). Small steps, but I feel like I'm heading in the right direction.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Day #9 just about complete. Watched the season premiere of Sleepy Hollow tonight-- so many commercials! Considering I saw all of last season mildy tipsy (at best-- so drunk I didn't remember falling down in my bedroom afterwards at worst ), I couldn't remember if last season had all of those commercial breaks. I ended up making a comment on FB about it to troll for the answer.

Still, it was nice to know the show is still awesomely fun even when I'm sober. Looking forward to double-digit sobriety tomorrow!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Hey all, I'm posting buzzed but with a desire to get sober.

I've got a major life changing event coming up (birth of a child) in less then a week, and am having major work stressers as well as we just kicked off a major job.

I have a sincere desire to get sober for the birth and thereafter, and want to do it with all of you. I feel pretty lost....

I've never been this type of person, but if you guys have some spare prayers, I could use them.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Seeker of Enlightenment

Day 15 just about in the books. Checking in finally after some login issues. Everything is going pretty well, running, doing yoga and wearing out my Keurig.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

MeowMeowMeowwww/Advice:

I actually sent a friend a website outlining withdrawal symptoms, because he seemed to think that I could quit and immediately be 'normal'.

Found that one pretty funny. Sometimes I love alcoholic jokes.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Day 3 down for me I'm pretty happy about that!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Think I'm five weeks in today.

Ive been awake through the nights and your posts have really kept me going man. You guys crack me up sometimes.

You know, I start to get upset about stuff and wonder what I'm gonna do with myself and then I think I just don't give a damn about anything, apart from being sober and well, I have that.

Anyway, don't think i'll be able to live like this forever, it's a sad way to live for a young man, I've drank my way into this and through it. Will be into new pastures of sobriety now though. Maybe we're gonna make it