SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of September 2013 - Part 32 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/344111-class-september-2013-part-32-a.html)

LillianGish 10-01-2014 10:22 PM

Plenny!!!

I'm so glad to hear from you! No hard feelings here, just glad you are ok.

I was just looking at the "Artists in Recovery" thread and thinking about you....in a very good way.

Best of regards to you in your new journey!

LillianGish 10-01-2014 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nightswimming (Post 4929249)
For those of you that like your music I can't stop listening to The Pierces' live studio cover of Duran Duran's Ordinary World. You can find it on YouTube....definitely worth a listen!

Love it!! Thank you for the recommendation!

I always like the Duran Duran version too.

LillianGish 10-01-2014 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nightswimming (Post 4927370)
His idea is to keep telling me to lie still and not move!!

That's more about him wanting to sleep, than about helping you I'm afraid. I understand wanting to sleep.

But next time, just get up and do something relaxing and fun. You're awake anyway, right???!!!

Kaneda8888 10-02-2014 05:35 AM

Welcome back Plenny !

Great to hear from you again ! Pls do stay close and just take things one step at a time. It will get better I know !

Plenny 10-02-2014 06:30 PM

Great to see you, Lillian and Kaneda! Feels like forever. Taking it easy over here! xoxo

MrFixit63 10-03-2014 02:06 PM

Hello September Friends.
I want to say happy late anniversary to everyone in this group who made it to the one year anniversary great job.

Fishy

workoholic 10-04-2014 09:35 AM

Welcome back Plenny! I sent a message to you before I saw you in this thread too so you get double welcomes!
We missed you but no hard feelings. You were having a difficult time and I hope things are better now :)

workoholic 10-04-2014 09:35 AM

Hey Fishy,
Hope you are good! :)

Nightswimming 10-06-2014 03:33 AM

Morning Everyone!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Welcome back Plenny! I don't think I was posting on this thread at the same time so it is nice to meet you!

I've had a busy few days. My Mum came for a visit for a couple of days which I enjoyed. We had some meals out and visited my Gran and some other family. Really enjoyed that and these visits are the sort of thing I would have found overwhelming even a couple of months ago.

The other half and I completed the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon in Glasgow yesterday. The rain held off until just after I crossed the finish line! I got a 10 min PB compared to 2 years ago (1 hr and 53 mins this time round) and the other half ran it in 1 hr 36 mins :c029: Now having a break from running for a week or two and then we set our sights on the Edinburgh marathon next May. The thought of doing double the distance at the moment is terrifying!

phoebe64 10-06-2014 07:29 AM

Wow! Congrats on the race, NS!! I am so impressed. Running has always been so hard for me, and I am always impressed by others who do races and can run daily. :c011:

workoholic 10-06-2014 10:56 AM

Wow Nightswimming!
I went to the gym last night and it wasn't too bad :)
I will do so again tomorrow.

Melina 10-06-2014 09:48 PM

Looks like we're getting the band back together! Hi, everyone from September 2013!

xoxo,
Melina

workoholic 10-07-2014 01:19 AM

Hey Melina! :)

Dee74 10-07-2014 01:20 AM

hi guys :wave:

GotGrace 10-07-2014 06:29 AM

Hi Dee! How have you been?

Nightswimming 10-07-2014 06:40 AM

Hi Dee, Hi Melina and Hi Grace!

Dee74 10-07-2014 03:01 PM

good thanks GotGrace - all is fine here :)

D

1stepup 10-07-2014 03:08 PM

Hi everyone, good to see some familiar names here, Im doing well in the August 14 class its just over 7weeks now- hope it lasts this time, still pop in here from time to time and its so good to see you lovely people doing so well. Love and best wishes to you all.

GotGrace 10-07-2014 08:28 PM

Really good to hear from you 1step! Thanks for popping in!

Nightswimming 10-08-2014 04:47 AM

Good to hear from you 1Step. Don't be a stranger! Glad to hear things are going well for you.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience of drinking in dreams? My dreams seem to be more alcohol themed since I hit the 1 year milestone. They tend to be anxiety related and involve breaking my sobriety and being found out. None of them have had me moderating successfully so in some ways they are a good 'wake up' call so to speak...

Nightswimming 10-08-2014 06:17 AM

ps I've booked a trip to Hamburg for 5 days with the other half leaving a week on Sunday. I'm looking forward to practicing my German now I've been going to my lessons for over a year. It'll certainly be different from our last trip to Berlin as I no longer drink and he no longer eats meat!! At least he shouldn't have to wake me up from being passed out in the hotel reception this trip....

BLKDIESEL 10-08-2014 12:24 PM

~~Food For Thought ~ The Humpday Edition~~
~~A Question of "If???~

Hey folks, been away on some business and pleasure in beautiful Florida (Fort Lauderdale and Miami) for the past week and I must say I didn't want to return to New York. I'm working on my plan to move down there with the next 3 months so I've been on a work and business opportunity fact finding mission. I'm going with faith as well. If anyone has any input or resources to aid in my move there please respond. Anyway, back to the regularly schedule motive-action for the day. Hope everyone is well.

~The Mental Meal~

If you plant honesty, you will reap trust.
If you plant goodness, you will reap friends.
If you plant humility, you will reap greatness.
If you plant perseverance, you will reap victory.
If you plant consideration, you will reap harmony.
If you plant hard work, you will reap success.
If you plant forgiveness, you will reap reconciliation.
If you plant openness, you will reap intimacy.
If you plant patience, you will reap improvements.
If you plant faith, you will reap miracles.
But:
If you plant dishonesty, you will reap distrust.
If you plant selfishness, you will reap loneliness.
If you plant pride, you will reap destruction.
If you plant envy, you will reap trouble.
If you plant laziness, you will reap stagnation.
If you plant bitterness, you will reap isolation.
If you plant greed, you will reap loss.
If you plant gossip, you will reap enemies.
If you plant worries, you will reap wrinkles.
If you plant sin, you will reap guilt.

#AQuestionofIf???

GotGrace 10-08-2014 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nightswimming (Post 4943437)
Good to hear from you 1Step. Don't be a stranger! Glad to hear things are going well for you.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience of drinking in dreams? My dreams seem to be more alcohol themed since I hit the 1 year milestone. They tend to be anxiety related and involve breaking my sobriety and being found out. None of them have had me moderating successfully so in some ways they are a good 'wake up' call so to speak...

Hey NS,
I haven't had any drinking dreams lately, but the ones I have had in the last year always left me feeling thankful to be sober! In those dreams the anxiety and shame came right back and when I awoke I was that much more thankful to not drink anymore. I agree that it's good to be reminded of what we are not missing! Thank goodness it's just a dream, eh?

GotGrace 10-08-2014 12:53 PM

BLK! Moving to Florida! How exciting!

I am glad to see you again. I have missed your daily posts. Good to know you are ok!

I have absolutely no help to offer as far as your move, but I will pray that it goes smoothly and that doors are opened and closed in such a way that your decisions are clear-cut. Please keep us posted!

BLKDIESEL 10-09-2014 04:14 AM

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Thursday~~
~~Promises You Must Make to Yourself~~

Make these promises to yourself, and keep them. Repeat after me: “I promise…”

1. “I will accept everything I am, and everything I am not.” –

Self-worth comes from one thing: thinking that you are worthy. So be confident. Too many days are wasted comparing ourselves to others and wishing to be something we aren’t. Everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses, and it is only when you accept everything you are, and aren’t, that you will truly find happiness and success.

2. “I will appreciate others for who they are.” –

Sometimes the way you think about a person isn’t the way they are. On the outside, maybe they laugh, and maybe they cry; but you would be surprised at everything they keep deep inside. So pay close attention, and love the people you care about for who they are, and not for who you want them to be. In the long run, this is how you will get the best of them.

3. “I will speak kindly and consciously to others.” –

Open your mind before you open your mouth. Don’t mix bad words with a bad mood. Just be calm and deal with your emotions. You’ll have many opportunities to change your mood, but you’ll have an extremely tough time recovering the words you have spoken.

4. “I will speak kindly and consciously to myself.” –

Wait, what did you just say to yourself? Were they the inspiring,comforting words you would speak to a friend? Or were they the belittling remarks you might shout to an enemy if you had no heart. Or the negative assessments about life you would utter if you had no faith? All day long we speak silently to ourselves, and a part of us believes every word. So stay mindful, and ask yourself, “If I had a friend who always spoke to me in the same way that I am speaking to myself right now, how long would I allow that person to be my friend?”

5. “I will stop trying to control everything.” –

I hate to break it to you, but you can’t control everything in your life no matter how many safeguards you put into place. But thankfully, you don’t have to control everything to find peace and happiness. It lives with you always, deep within. More than getting into the nuances of control itself, you should be more interested in encouraging yourself to commit to giving it up, on purpose. See what happens when you loosen your grip, throw your hands into the air, and allow life to just happen and flow as it does, without constant micromanagement.

6. “I will appreciate the beauty of small moments.” –

Positive minds live positive lives. There is always, always something to be thankful for and something to smile about. The happiest people are not those who get everything they want; they are those who, while in pursuit of worthy goals, notice and appreciate the beauty and sweetness of everyday moments.

7. “I will do what I think is right.” –

What comes easy won’t always last, and what will last won’t always come easy. So do the right things, not the easy things. Whatever comes your way, whatever battle is raging inside you, you always have a choice. In the end, it’s the choices you make that make you who you are. And no matter what, you can always choose to do the right thing.

8. “I will grow from my challenges.” –

You can be stunned, awakened, and changed by what happens to you, but choose to grow from it, and refuse to be reduced by it. Repeat after me: “I am determined to live a happy life no matter my challenges. I will turn all my tales of fury into tales of glory. I will turn all of my tales of woe into tales of WOW!”

9. “I will realize and use my power.” –

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. In a world filled with doubt, you must dare to dream. In a world filled with anger, you must dare to forgive. In a world filled with hate, you must dare to love. In a world filled with distrust, you must dare to believe. And once you do, you will find that power.

kellbell123 10-09-2014 04:33 AM

Hi everyone! Its been awhile but I am happy to report I am still sober! I've been sober since May 25th. Some of you on this board have been sober for over a year now! Wow!! Congrats to you!! and others (like me) have been on and off the past year. I can proudly say that I have been MOSTLY sober the past year. It's still a struggle sometimes but for the most part I have my brain trained to squash cravings quickly. It really took ACCEPTING, truly accepting, that I am an alcoholic. Once I did that I have felt an inner peace that is getting me through, day by day. By accepting that I am an alcoholic the decision to drink is totally different. It's way beyond deciding to have "just a drink" or deciding "I'll just drink one day a week". Once you accept your an alcoholic you know your decision is "do I want that problem again?". And the answer for me is always HECK NO.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm doing pretty good. Back in school to earn my BA in Business, Working full time, raising the kids. Busy, busy :)

xoxo
Kell

Dee74 10-09-2014 05:18 AM

Congrats one step and Kellbell - and way to go on your move BLK :)

D

Nightswimming 10-09-2014 06:00 AM

Can I come with you to Florida BLK?! Got to beat October in Glasgow!

Good to see you Kellbell and glad things are going well for you :)

Nightswimming 10-09-2014 06:01 AM

And Grace, amen to that!! I think maybe the year milestone has brought things to the front of my head a bit more and hence the dreams. Hopefully it will pass....would love to get rid of anxious dreams altogether but one step at a time!

GotGrace 10-09-2014 09:00 AM

NS, I was kind of unsettled around the one year mark. Just thinking about what it meant a lot. Now I feel more like not drinking is just part of who I am. I used to keep my eyes trained on the 25th of each month; now I don't, in fact, I had to pause and really think about what day my anniversary is.

I hope this keeps up. It feels good. I hope the same for you!