Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 38

Old 09-06-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good Morning to all on SR - Today I will reflect on 90 days ( in a row no less!) of sobriety.

The great people who give of themselves on SR is worth more to me than all of king Midas's gold!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE HERE who shares from their heart in an attempt to help others....there is no greater calling in life.

Peace to us all
Warm Regards,
Flynbuy
Old 09-06-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 Flyn... a great milestone!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Congrats Flyn, on 90 days of sobriety, I bet that feels good.
Very happy for you.

Hello everyone I am newish here, currently on 4 days sober, and I already feel better.
Felt like a drink last night but held strong, and I certainly feel better for it today.
Nothing worse than starting the weekend with a hangover Saturday morning. Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Welcome to what we call the "Undies" Colsta! Congrats on 4 days and your life changing decision!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Hey I posted yesterday.

Guess my posts are less than memorable.

Just enjoying the conversation, and not feeling compelled to post. But keep up the good fight all. Also glad to hear that you resolved some issues Gilmer.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Flyn - Congrats on 90 days. I was excited to mark spending a whole quarter of a year sober, an amount of time that I'd never accumulated during my years of drinking. Enjoy the freedom that sobriety offers.

Welcome Colsta. Great job on 4 days!!

North - I miss your warmth and company on the threads.

Drake - I love to hear that you're feeling proud of your accomplishments these days. What a great way to usher in 17 months.

As my number of sober days grow, I'm more comfortable with the slow pace of personal growth.

Gilmer - What a great story about thy will not mine be done! I'm learning to ask for guidance for the next right decision instead of making impulsive, self centered ones. I am beginning to understand to ask for what's right for my hp, not what I (think I) want.

Toots' story about being expected to reach for the stars, and left to feel like a failure if I don't, resonated deeply with me. I've never had a focused direction with my life. I've run into too many fires without an oxygen mask, in service to what I thought was the right thing to do. As a consequence I sit dirty and scarred atop a pile of ashes and cinders, without much to show for it. And even though I have the American suburban dream, I have felt like a failure for a long time.

I like the notion of asking my hp to direct me, of acting in service to a higher direction. Whether that's mystical power, or intuition, or a rational place found deep within my brain is up for discussion, and I really don't care. I just know that I need to call upon something deeper than my mood to guide me.

The weekends can be a challenging time for me, but I'm going into it feeling the strength of acting according to my newly budding personal principles and values.

Thanks to all the undies who make this growth possible through your patience, warmth, listening, and advice - Carlos, Toots, Gilmer, DG, courage, sparky, Drake, Dottie, saskia, Altoids, BFree, ccam, flyn, Babs, siesta, Tanja, and North.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Congrats says on a month

Congrats flyn on 90days

Congrats drake with 17months

Still catching up on posts but hope everyone has a nice weekend. I'm off to womp for the day
Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Congrats, Flyn on 90 days!

Congrats, Drake on 17 months!

Colsta, welcome to the Undies :-)

Gilmer, I'm delighted to hear that you and your H came to a good understanding!

Hugs to all Undies :-)
Old 09-06-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I agree. Time for a complete Canadian check in...WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU, NORTH? We miss you!
Old 09-06-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Just checking in, guys.

I appreciate your sharing, gilmer, on the topic of marriage. I especially loved the "offering it up" message. During my stint in hospice, being told to prepare myself for a "celestial departure", I did a lot of that.

I still hold on to the wise advice that you offered me, about the treatment that we sometimes receive from others. You told me to merely be okay with not always seeing a tangible reward. I need to always keep that in my heart. Thank you, again.

I'm trying, daily, not to get my feelings hurt. I also have to remember a "humility prayer" that I saw a while back. One line said something like, "...that others be praised, and I unnoticed..." That will certainly happen to me occasionally. It actually just did earlier, today. I gotta be okay with that.

Love you guys.

peace.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi Sparkymcsparky, did not catch your posts yesterday new here, hope you are keeping well.
Thought I would give the board a look over, Saturday night is hard, just got that little urge after a nice day, that ummm I could do with a drink.
Its strange how I can convince my self that it is all innocent like, "a couple of drinks will not do any harm" The fact of the matter is it will do harm, and I have been here before.
You know I am just starting to realize how therapeutic it is to write to you all about this.
And how inspiring it is to read everyone else s posts and experiences. I am glad I joined this SR place and no longer feel alone in this struggle. I feel I have quenched this urge for now. Peace out all. hope you are having a good weekend where ever you are.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Colsta, it's good to write when we feel an urge or as time goes on, to write anytime we need support. We go through lots of changes, especially during the first year of sobriety. Many here have had experience with a lot of them and that's another good thing. This is a safe place where we encourage and support each other. We also sometimes get into humor but when anyone needs support, we jump right back to provide that. If we ever get too far out of line, the moderators gently reel us back in. We most frequently have Dee with us as moderator. He's got lots of good experience and knows what we are going through. His pithy comments are usually right on the mark :-)
Old 09-06-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Welcome to the undies Colsta! SR is full of tons of great support. Especially here with us undies!

North where are you?!?!

Work was busy yet again! I don't think I sat for more than 10mins all day! My boss surprised me at the end of the day with a Starbucks card to thank me for workin my butt off lately. It's nice to feel appreciated! Looking forward to the next 2 days off.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Great to see you Colsta.

You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer, more supportive group of people on the Internet. SR, and this specific forum have been a great help in me keeping sober.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Welcome, Colsta! I have found SR and especially this thread most useful, fun, and therapeutic in helping me get sober!

Congratulations on 90, Flynbuy!

Glad to see you're still kickin', Sparky! How has the AV been lately? Has it been quiet or have you had to kick its butt?

Michaels, I also love the "Litany of Humility." I've got it bookmarked! I need to pound it into myself. Nothing I like better than hogging glory!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
p***enger

This is insane, but I’m going to try to catch up.

Altoids, it’s great to see you on the Undies! I didn’t know you’d “come over” but it’s a great group!

Sparky, your posts are mega-memorable. What’s going on with you? We need a big dose of working-class pseudo tough!!

Gleefan, I think it’s normal at this point to be slowing down the pace of personal change. When you put down the bottle, everything changes in huge, startling ways at first. Then really it’s a bit of grace if the physical and major emotional changes level out for a while, allowing our minds to catch up and adjust to the new alcohol-free self. I guess that’s part of why the “no major changes” rule. A new loss, a big professional upheaval, a medical crisis – I hope everyone in early sobriety is spared those challenges.

Carlos – I hope you had a beautiful bike ride. I think you’re coping with the ongoing frustrations of your situation with a whole heap of elegance. Until Carlos, I didn’t even know that elegance came in heaps!

Saskia, congratulations on your first mega-month!!!

Flynbuy, congratulations on 90 Days! It’s great to see you on the boards and I love that rising post count. Best advice anyone ever gave me on SR – post, post, post!

Drake – congratulations on 17 months!! -- and you’re looking great, too!

BoozeFree, always good to see you here & congratulations on the work recognition! What are you listening to these days?

Toots, your ability to embrace your life is truly inspiring. I know it isn’t always as easy as you make it sound, but you do make it sound like gratitude and acceptance are beautiful in themselves, not just as a substitute for that “something more” that we alcoholics are constantly chasing. Thanks.

Michaels, do you think you’re trying daily not to get your feelings hurt because you’re overly sensitive, or because someone is not treating you well? Forgive me if you’ve already talked about this – maybe I missed something. In the past I allowed myself – even volunteered – to be fairly badly abused, and that’s taking acceptance too far.

Colsta, welcome to the Undies! Don’t be frightened of all these sober drunks & users – you’ll get used to us soon! Good job on using SR to “quench the urge”!

ccam, I don't know you but it's great to see you in Undies!

Gilmer, I heard someone in an AA meeting yesterday, married 45 years this week, describe getting along with her husband as service. I'd never heard it spoken of that way but I really think it’s true. A tiny % of marriage is the part we enjoy for ourselves. A huge part is attention, respect, care-giving – service to the spouse, and if you don’t view that role as somehow an essential part of living – for you, part of your dedication to God – I don’t know how it would work. Thank you for talking about that, and always, your experiences in marriage.

Well that's most folks who've posted over the last couple of days -- Dorothy, North, Babs, siesta, Tanja -- anyone else, hi! :
Old 09-07-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
waking down

Hey y'all! Not posting much lately, but I at least lurk briefly daily. Just too busy and when I finally sit down to check in I'm pooped. It's kind of daunting how you guys are able to track each others' comments and give specific feedback. Very sweet.

I stared at a frosty frozen bottle of Jameson's yesterday and for a moment felt nostalgia and salivation (it didn't help that the bottle was briefly utilized to cool the cleavage of a beautiful and wonderful woman - true confession - but I was admittedly salivating for the liquor - I think - I'm pretty sure - then again, maybe it was the whole package). Then I looked around at the social gathering and thought, I don't want to be like them, and alcoholic beverages are obviously like Lay's potato chips to everyone here, so since I can't have just one, I'm happy enough with none. An hour later and I was even more convinced I'm happier without; the crowd went from tipsy giggly to surly and sorry and sad. That's when I said adios...

Have a great day, folks. I'm back to work... No rest for the wicked.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi Undies, checking in after a long day (long for me, that is). A few challenges. Drove 2 hours to go to a birthday party for the little girl who is now cancer-free (fingers crossed!). We had a fair representation of her mom's support group. I'm generally not comfortable in groups so this was a bit challenging. In the past I would have picked up a bottle on the way home but managed to avoid that. I'm having cravings and am trying hard to ignore the AV; this is probably the toughest day in over a month. So I'm home and now need to get busy to help me ignore the siren song of that ugly beast!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Sometimes I get really down that my husband shows no signs of changing his drinking habits any time soon. I appreciate everyone's kind words of support. I know I can't change him, and since I'm not particularly manipulative or coercive, I'm not trying to. CCam is right, we can only change ourselves. I'm working towards acceptance, towards not being so frustrated over it, by having realistic expectations.

Courage - Thank you for your long, thoughtful post. I love hearing from you.

Sparky - not much to say?!?! Is that possible! I'm joking, of course. I appreciate your being there and acknowledging that you're listening to my blathering on.

Colsta - Waking up with a clear head, recognizing where I'm waking up, and remembering what I did and said are great! Waking up feeling excitement, joy, and peace about the day that awaits is pretty amazing - and I didn't know when I stopped drinking that it would be possible!

BeFree - I'm so glad to hear that your boss recognized your hard womp womp.

MW - My emotional growth stalled when I started using. The overly emotional, drained feeling may be due to the strain of early recovery. I wasn't particularly productive or happy during the early months, but bit by bit, I felt incrementally more centered, grounded, happy, and hopeful. I also uncovered bit by bit areas that needed growth and development. I kept a diary, divided by subject, for the areas that I was working on - marriage in one folder, career in another, parents in another, and so on. It kept me from feeling overwhelmed with the thoughts that were quickly tumbling out, and worried that I'd forget something. Writing about it helped me sort out my role in what was bothering me, how I was perpetuating the problem, and whether others were to blame.

Gilmer - You have a lovely outlook on your marriage, and such deep faith to follow it through. I the way you live your life in service to your faith.

Zero - I like my friends; they're good people whose company I enjoy. But when they're drinking heavily, I get tired of them after a few hours, too.

Saskia - I'm glad that you were able to support your friend, but didn't pick up during a situation that you find unduly stressful. In sobriety, I find that providing support in certain situations is more draining than I ever realized. After a lifetime of denying myself, in sobriety I find that when I feel drained, I need to take steps to take care of myself. Curling up with a magazine, a movie, a book - or whatever sounds extra comforting to me.

Carlos - ...Or a trip to Alaska.

Be well Undies!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Howdy gang ~ good to read that everyone is managing that AV well and kicking its proverbial tush.

Today was a glorious day here. We went on a day trip into the mountains and then to the coast. We had lunch in a fun little place we love, then did some beach combing. Just getting out in nature, walking in the woods and along the shore is so healing for me.

Wishing everyone a peaceful evening.