Notices

Class of September 2014

Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyfree2525 View Post
Wondering if I could get some advice, spoke with my husband last night about my drinking problem and HE seems to be in denial about it. I can't believe he has not noticed my struggling. He became angry with me when I mentioned getting help. He does not like the idea of an alcoholic wife I guess. So how to I handle getting help when support at home is not there from my husband. I am thankful I found SR but what if I need a little more? Has anyone else dealt with a significant other that did not think the drinking was a problem? I know it is, I have the blackouts, hangovers, upset children! It is a problem and I don't want to drink anymore!
Hi hf2525.....I personally cannot relate to this, because I'm a male alcoholic. And my wife knows I have a problem. However, having been on SR for over 3 years, I have read many stories regarding your situation. So, don't feel that you're alone in this instance.

Personally, I think sometimes it's the alpha male that feels it's OK if we have a problem.

In addition, sometimes with the busy schedules with families as a whole, he may feel like this might upset the balance. I don't know, but don't panic!

I have friends that I have met in other classes that had the same concern and that they didn't get the initial support they were looking for.

Let's start off by getting some support here and maybe Dee or someone else can point you in the right direction. I'm certain once we find the right connection for you, you'll be more at ease. One thing is for sure, you need to take care of yourself! So, try not to get derailed right now, ok?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
nmd

Wondering if I could get some advice, spoke with my husband last night about my drinking problem and HE seems to be in denial about it. I can't believe he has not noticed my struggling. He became angry with me when I mentioned getting help. He does not like the idea of an alcoholic wife I guess. So how to I handle getting help when support at home is not there from my husband. I am thankful I found SR but what if I need a little more? Has anyone else dealt with a significant other that did not think the drinking was a problem? I know it is, I have the blackouts, hangovers, upset children! It is a problem and I don't want to drink anymore!
For me, I just need my girlfriend to give up the idea of us sharing a bottle of wine or me being able to stop at a few. She doesn't want to deal with her own drinking so it's easier for her if I drink.... but I cant stop at a few unless that means a few six packs. The kids overheard a very bad argument last night, much of it I can't remember. I'm going to seek support anywhere I can get it, but I need to quit if I have it or not.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Count me in. My Day 1 was yesterday, September 1. I'mma gonna do this! We all can, right?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am joining the September group.....the last month has been a series of starts and stops...I want this now and this is a good place to start.
Jim
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm in. On day 2.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SobrietyRules View Post
Count me in. My Day 1 was yesterday, September 1. I'mma gonna do this! We all can, right?
Yes, right!....We can!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
For me, I just need my girlfriend to give up the idea of us sharing a bottle of wine or me being able to stop at a few. She doesn't want to deal with her own drinking so it's easier for her if I drink.... but I cant stop at a few unless that means a few six packs. The kids overheard a very bad argument last night, much of it I can't remember. I'm going to seek support anywhere I can get it, but I need to quit if I have it or not.
Well, it's a win-win situation nmd. You want to quit and you have support here!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Welcome back soberjim..sag714...
Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Beginning again....sigh. Need to change my sig.
I am committing to a sober september.
Have signed up to a strength and conditioning class to help me sweat out the frustrations this time and socially connect.
Lets do this.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

This is day 2.... My app tells me so...new too.
Am off to the health and fitness forum...sugar and carbs are out of control.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm in.

Day 3 here.

If I ever stumble in the future I want myself being on record, so that my future self can read how good I felt.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raggletaggle View Post
This is day 2.... My app tells me so...new too.
Am off to the health and fitness forum...sugar and carbs are out of control.

Is there an app?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Just a generic sobriety calendar I found free on android. Nothing fancy but a nice visual reminder. That little man is making me tired running around that square. Kinda how I feel right now.
Trying to write a paper but not getting very far. Concentration gone.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I am in. Made a fairly good start in June and July, then wandered in the weeds of indecision for a few weeks.

Time to get back on the sober trail. Looking forward to the freedom.

Reinforcing with SR, the RR book and Jason Vale's book. Also more frequent exercise and meditation.

I'm inspired by the positive messages from people who have been living in sobriety for a while and who say it is better.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

In...again. Day 2. Would love if all of us have 30 sober days to rollover to the October class!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I lived with my mother for a few years when I was unemployed and all I did everyday was drink. She had to have known, but she never said a word. And I didn't want to talk to her about it, so that was fine with me. The thing is, when I moved out and was getting my life back on track, she freaked out. Like, literally freaked out -- couldn't breathe one day because she was crying so hard, and the next week called with angry ultimatums -- and I think if she could have demanded that I come back home, she would have. Honestly, there's a part of me that thinks she would have been fine with me drinking myself into oblivion everyday as long I was doing it in her house so that she wouldn't feel alone and scared.

I don't know anything about your husband, but I've known guys who didn't want their wives to lose weight or become otherwise healthy, and I think it was out of fear of their wives getting their lives back on track and then wanting to leave them. If you do get sober, be mindful of sabotage.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonNorth View Post
Is there an app?

there is an SR app.. not sure if its got the sobriety calendar on it
Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm in this month. Looking forward to a healthy month
Old 09-02-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I am joining this September group. Feeling at a loss for words right now. Will check in later when the guilt is not so thick and heavy. Welcome to everyone.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

have a good evening class! stay strong and concentrate on tonight. We'll deal with tomorrow tomorrow