Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 4

Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi fellow classmates I'm on day 4 sober. Making it through the long weekend. I've been to 3 meetings since yesterday and have lots more planned. Reaching out to my AA friends and going for coffees etc trying to get hooked back in. I'm a little bored and really lonely and embarrassed still but.... At least I'm sober today.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Determined.. Great way to look out it. Alcohol is poison! It really is all how we think and look at it. Our culture has us believing that drinking is the ultimate adult reward. It is so not a reward for me anymore, it's asking for pain, depression as misery.
Facing future.. 7 days is awesome. You can do this. It gets better and easier If we keep shutting that AV down.
Love the sassy water, so refreshing! And a nice change from plain water.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Way to hang in there team! My family got together with another for dinner. Really nice time. I told my friends that even post-antibiotics I wasn't going to drink. Uneventful.

My 10 y/o made me smile. He knows I've made the choice to go alcohol free to be healthier. After dinner my friend offered me carmel flavored coffee which I accepted. Me son kept whispering "no Dad, no."

I thought he was objecting to the caffeine. Turns out he thought I was getting
an "adult drink". I cleared up the misunderstanding, thanked him for looking out for me, and reaffirmed that I was going to remain alcohol free.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi folks - been away for a bit due to some catching up on life that the drinking was pushing aside it seems. Just want to say I'm hoping y'all are staying sober and enjoying a life poison-free! And for those that are having a hard time - I hope you keep on hangin' and bangin' and win that fight! Ahh... the sober life, and I'm still just beginning to process it (26 days in), is pretty sweet if you are ready for it.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For a better life wow!♡ I hope I can have your strength the next time my av tries to get the best of me, It's bound to happen. Good job.

Nothing much to report other than I'm on day 18 now. I made awesome money at the pub tonight. (Thanks drunk people). Working all day tomorrow too and Monday.

Mm mm snapple. I might have to get some.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
just checking in and reading some posts. Its beautiful here today, sunny, muggy, shorts are on, shoes are off! I am sitting on the patio step feeling the niggly urge for 2 bottles of crisp cold sauvignon blanc. I am feeling much stronger after reading your posts.
Crazy fairy at the start of august I was throwing a right tantrum about having to quit drinking and the adds on telly were really pissing me off! My partner is a type one diabetic and I have family members wuth crohnes so I am not tge only one with an incurable condition that will be with me for life.
Forabetterlife, thats amazing will power I am extremely impressed.
I forgot to say with my morning coffee that I would not drink today and I need to keep checking in and not loss focus. Because although this month is ending well, I have found it extremely difficult.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Old 08-31-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Determined.. Great way to look out it. Alcohol is poison! It really is all how we think and look at it. Our culture has us believing that drinking is the ultimate adult reward. It is so not a reward for me anymore, it's asking for pain, depression as misery.
Facing future.. 7 days is awesome. You can do this. It gets better and easier If we keep shutting that AV down.
Love the sassy water, so refreshing! And a nice change from plain water.
what's AV? alcohol voice? :-P
Old 08-31-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome lostgirll

it's really addictive voice, so it covers all addiction - but yeah it's that voice that leads you astray.

D
Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello TeamAugust

I really feel it when people are struggling with AV but the posts you guys make when you beat it and don't pick up due to reading and posting are really inspiring! Massive victories which can only make you stronger. Proud of you guys for not giving in.

I have woken up this morning and now have four weeks of sobriety time. I am feeling OK, AA is helping and I am starting to talk to people a lot more and ask for help when I need it. I have a lot of personal stuff to start to go deal with now, but I will not rush anything.

Today I am heading to north london for lunch with a friend. I will need to tell them I am not drinking anymore but weirdly it doesn't bother me at all.

Relaxing day today, I am having a day off from AA reading and writing, but a do plan an evening meeting
Old 08-31-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hope the second day of the weekend is treating you all well.

Penkins - well done for showing such composure and aplomb - I'd have really struggled with that!!!

I've been in the office since 8am and it was SO good waking up to an early shift sober and well-rested (even if my neighbours were making a lot of noise again).

I've treated myself to a coffee from the canteen. Normally I have nothing good to say about canteen coffee but wooooah mama this is a STRONG one! I'm quite susceptible to caffeine so I think this will be my only one!

Going to write a bit more of my not-so-short story today. I've been slacking and haven't written anything for a while now. Still, I'm 2500 words in... that's longer than most of my essays from university (and a lot more enjoyable to write)!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi class, A-Team, August Army!

Glad to read everyone is staying strong. Really inspirational and re-affirming to read all your AV encounters and how you've handled them.

I shall spend a day in nature with friends, which is great, because generally nature doesn't serve beer

Have a lovely day Sunday everyone!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good day all! Just want to echo that to hear about you guys getting through some tough times with the AV is really inspiring!! Day 4 for me and slowly but surely I'm starting to feel a little more human. I'm really getting back into reading and listening to recovery stuff and am making a plan for going forward; where I'm going, what I'm going to do recovery wise, I don't want it to grow stagnant. I'm worried about visiting the hospital on Tues but trying just to live in the moment and hopefully will be ok when I get there. One thing I know for sure, for me to stand and chance of being ok going forward sobriety is the only way and I'm actually looking forward to it. All the best to you guys for your days, stay strong and focused on moving forward!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy healthy morning August Army! Sounds like everyone did some fantastic fighting and we won many AV battles. And some quite tough ones. Couple of quotes for the day.

"The problems we have today will not be solved by thinking the way we thought when we created them" Albert Einstein.

"As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as in being able to remake ourselves." Mahatma Gandhi.

I like this one, "the higher we soar, the smaller we seem to those who cannot fly" Nietzsche.

Remember, we are achieving what so many want. It is not easy, but that is what makes it so precious. Go strong today, eye on the prize!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning Team August. First of all, thanks for all of the support last night! When I first arrived at the gathering nice and early with the kids so hubby could help FIL set up the giant bonfire.....I could have easily begun pouring the wine all on my own with the kiddos frosting cupcakes in the kitchen. And refilled and refilled to my heart's desire. But I posted here, and played that tape forward. It was only about 4/430. That would have been a long night of social and sneak drinking followed by a car ride home during which I'd probably have done the same thing as last year. And that's not what I want at all. I have grown since then, many thanks to SR.

It feels so good to have gotten through those moments of cravings and choose root beer instead. (That was another wrench in my afternoon/evening - we forgot my sparkling flavored water bottle in the fridge at home in our hurry. Ugh!). I had a nice cheeseburger, several homemade cookies, some fireworks and sparklers, and a sober, calm, puke-free ride home late at night.

And I'm up bright and early at 6 AM with my little one, playing candy land by 7 AM. Lol!

Here's my promised happy dance!!

Big hugs to everyone else who struggled and high fives for making it through.

Today's still another day. Fighting the good fight. But it's my day 13 at least and not day 1.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Way to kick it A- team style apple!!! Sweet!!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning. I had a tough night with the AV. I brought my lunch to the beach and later met a cousin for an early dinner at a Mexican restaurant that we both enjoy. I usually have three Lite beers with my meal, then either drive the 20 miles home to have more, or sip on one or two in my car. I ordered water; did not mention not drinking to my cousin, and she never said a word. We only see each other 2-3-4 times a year. I was pleased with myself, but the old AV kicked up on my way home. I drove through McDonalds for an ice cream cone. The advice on this forum to use ice cream to beat back the AV really works for me.

Today is Day 16 for me. I have a family cook-out/birthday party this afternoon. There will be alcohol there, but I will be fine. They only have top breweries and red and white wines....no Miller Lite, no white zinfindel - - my former two best friends.

I am already worried about tomorrow when I have no plans and the YMCA is closed. I can always go to the beach with my kindle or books.

I am thinking of starting a low-carb diet on Tuesday(with the exception of ice cream - - at least for a while.) I thought I would lose weight when I quit beer and winem but it isn't happening....no doubt because of the ice cream and other sweets I have been using to both fight the AV and to reward myself.

Have a great day everyone. Thanks again for all the support. I love both the posts and the quotes I read this morning.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Good morning Team August. First of all, thanks for all of the support last night! When I first arrived at the gathering nice and early with the kids so hubby could help FIL set up the giant bonfire.....I could have easily begun pouring the wine all on my own with the kiddos frosting cupcakes in the kitchen. And refilled and refilled to my heart's desire. But I posted here, and played that tape forward. It was only about 4/430. That would have been a long night of social and sneak drinking followed by a car ride home during which I'd probably have done the same thing as last year. And that's not what I want at all. I have grown since then, many thanks to SR.

It feels so good to have gotten through those moments of cravings and choose root beer instead. (That was another wrench in my afternoon/evening - we forgot my sparkling flavored water bottle in the fridge at home in our hurry. Ugh!). I had a nice cheeseburger, several homemade cookies, some fireworks and sparklers, and a sober, calm, puke-free ride home late at night.

And I'm up bright and early at 6 AM with my little one, playing candy land by 7 AM. Lol!

Here's my promised happy dance!!

Big hugs to everyone else who struggled and high fives for making it through.

Today's still another day. Fighting the good fight. But it's my day 13 at least and not day 1.

GREAT JOB!!! When I got online this morning I looked for a post from you to see how you managed last night.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Happy sober Sunday class. So glad to see so many happy posts this morning. So proud of us all. Halfway through the weekend guys, we are rocking it! :firewrks2:
Old 08-31-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

good morning from Texas! how encouraging to sign on this morning and read all the wins so far this weekend!

congrats to everyone who overcame that bad AV! 2 more days of the holiday to go. keeping my phone close in case either the ice cream doesn't work or there isn't any around.

we can do this Team A!