Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 36

Old 08-09-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Gilmer, that is something that happens to me a lot, think an issue through, speak my mind, then wonder and worry if I did the right thing! Know what, nine times out of ten my worrying was for nothing. Lately I've been thinking that I have to learn to trust myself more! When I was drinking, I didn't deserve the trust of anyone, let alone myself, now I know when I say something, I'm going to carry through with it, and I no longer make promises I know I can't keep. Don't be so hard on yourself, trust in yourself and your HP that your decisions are good ones!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Glee, have a safe trip home! I know you had some tough times on your vacation, but hopefully you'll have some good memories of your first sober one! Way to go on not picking up when temptation was all around you at all hours!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I have a lot of vague, jumbled up, negative emotions in my mind--but I don't have any concrete and specific suggestions to articulate! I am going to work on that today by making lists.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

We're here to help and support Gilmer (((hugs)))
Old 08-09-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sparky, big congrats on 1 month!!!

(((Gilmer))), I think that "change happens" whether we want it to or not. I'm sorry you are struggling. I also know that you are a very strong and caring woman and you will deal with "the bull"!

I have been sober since starting my IOP, 3 days so far and I am feeling optimistic. I know this isn't an easy journey but there is so much wonderful support here that I am hopeful!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're on very solid ground, Sass!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations on the all-important first month, Sparky!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
p***enger

This is a little overwhelming, but I'm going to try to catch up on the Undies:

Toots – I'm sorry to hear about the migraine and hope you'll be better before your family comes to visit. People are very picky about their scotch -- my mother was a Glenfiddich drinker and I remember I once bought her a bottle of 18 year old Laphroaig and it didn't suit her at all. I on the other hand would drink anything. I had preferences, but no restrictions.

AF – I agree with Dotty that the time around a milestone is tricky. You made it past 3 months and that's what's important! I also agree with whoever said you need to pack more sober tools for when you're traveling alone. Those times are major triggers for me and I keep adding to my tools. It's important for me to minimize alone time and to check in or spend time with people who know my problem. I do that lots of ways -- I go to AA meetings, I make calls, I hang with people who know I don't drink. I firmly believe that you can't do it on your own successfully. Alcoholism thrives in the confines of our own heads, and getting out of our heads by reaching out to others in non-drinking situations has been a huge part of my recovery so far.

Gilmer -- it's wonderful that you found the courage to start a change. Unfortunately change is not like an on/off switch that once you start it, everything that follows is easy -- it ushers in processes and more changes and challenges. Just keep facing them one at a time as honestly and humbly as you can, and you'll be ok.

Else – Would it help to write about your cat? Do you have other pets that you'd like to tell us about?

Sparky – That was an awesome post on stepping on toes. I totally agree. I often smile when people are too proud to go to AA -- when I was drinking, nothing was too low for me. Where did I suddenly get all this pride? Perspective is useful.

Gleefan – great job on not drinking through your vacation. It sounds like white knuckling. Minor warning: I've found that it's often the next couple of days after I've apparently emerged unscathed from major triggers that the cravings really hit. Watch out, and take SR as needed

Saskia -- Glad to hear the the IOP program seems to be good!

Trachemys—I loved your visual for Gilmer!

BoozeFree – Promotion? Did I miss something? If so, big congrats! And happy record shopping -- do tell what you bought

LonelyShadow -- congrats on the unexpected good news, whatever it is!

Dorothy – I understand about the tolerable limbo. Been there myself. As usual, you write insightful and helpful posts here. Who's in the beautiful new avatar?

Carlos – LOL I'm hijacking posts. Send me a quarter registered mail and I'll return it to LS, unharmed.

Michaels – thanks for sharing your faith. It was a lovely, sensitive and thoughtful post. You make a unique contribution to this thread. Thanks!

Drake, Alysheba, Northof49, Sober1ck, and everyone I'm missing -- the line up is changing, but the Undies experience rocks on! Thanks to everyone!

As for me, I'm here, I'm good -- talking to a new potential sponsor, trying to get some reading & writing done, possibly starting on a new professional venture. All scary, I just keep trying to be there to meet what life brings me. It helps to have sober eyes to see!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 Sparky!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi Undies.

My work conference finished up yesterday. It's always kind of a crazy week. It is good to see everybody, but it is also a relief when it's over. I have some good leads on some potential contracts. It's taken a few years of talking to people, but I'm finally at a point where I am no longer having trouble finding more work. Actuallly, it is kind of flipped and I now have more stuff than I know what to do with.

Today is 16 months without alcohol for me. There were so many things that I wanted to change about my life when I got sober. In the early months, I was frustrated that those things didn't change faster. Now, I am seeing that so many of those things have just fallen into place with a little bit of time.

I put a lot of energy into my recovery for the first year or so. The last few months, I've focused a lot on cleaning and fixing stuff around the house and getting it where I want it to be. I sense that the next couple of years of my life, work is going to be a big focus for me. I feel like I'm at a really promixing place in my career. I'm excited about my new contract opportunities. By really focusing on my career at this point in my life, I'll be able to reallly set up a better life for myself for my future.

I am thankful for my reocovery, thankful for my job and the opportunities before me, thankful to be me.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

CONGRATS on 16 DG!!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I firmly believe that you can't do it on your own successfully.
Courage. . .I agree with this. I need my tribe both here on SR and here physically around me.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi Altoids! Welcome to the Undies!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congrats on 16 DG!

I think you are about the only other one from the 4/13 group that still posts regularly. (As much as I'd like to, I am NOT going to let you catch up with me though... )
Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm going to start calling this the flying thread! We have so many wonderful, insightful people here.

SparkyMac, ONE MONTH! Congratulations and well done. 30 days off the poison was a real milestone for me. Both times. When I went off the sauce and when I finally let go of the pills. The pills were much harder but probably because I went from alcohol straight to pills. Actually for a while there it was alcohol AND pills. Totally became cross addicted in a very short period of time. So, to all, please take it from me, it is VERY easy to do this.

Thank you all for your condolences on the loss of my little Fuzzy cat. I am touched at the outpouring of sweetness that came my way.

To all of you I wish a lovely Saturday! And thanks again.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
Courage. . .I agree with this. I need my tribe both here on SR and here physically around me.
Thanks, but I should have written 'I firmly believe that I can't do this on my own.' I can't speak for anyone else. I just know my head is a hive of bees and I'm not safe there

Congratulations, DG! You're going great guns, girl! Remember to stay in the present, even while you're writing down those two year goals!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

DG, you are someone I to whom I look up. Your support and example have been so good for me. I want to wish you my most sincere congratulations on 16 months. I'll be a year with one small detour at the end of this month. I'm not really giving myself credit for it because of my detour but still time sober is time sober. You are such a talented giving person. Your writing is vivid and has allowed us all to see you clearly. Thank you so much for continuing to share your life with us.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
my head is a hive of bees
Oh baby-doll, that bee-hive do (hairdo, Toots) was bad to the bone when I was a kid. Let's see a pic, left-eye. (Toots-left-eye is Courage)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

DG, congrats on 16 months!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Sparky congrats on a month!

DG congrats on 16months.

Gilmer take the changes as they come. I know it can seem overwhelming.

Courage yes about 2 weeks ago I was promoted at work!

This thread is moving too fast! Having trouble catching up.

Today's a pretty mellow day at work which is nice. Looking forward to having the 2 next days off.