Notices

Class of March 2013 part 31

Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

DD I think I'll have to adopt you, your restaurant eating always intrigues and delights me. I had to look up the fennel pollen, Serious Eats says ...

Take, for instance, fennel pollen. It's a trendy spice, bandied about in cheffy circles and locavore/forager networks. In an article for Saveur, the food writer Peggy Knickerbocker waxes poetic, "if angels sprinkled a spice from their wings, this would be it." This is only slight hyperbole. Fennel pollen is an incredibly powerful spice, with notes of licorice, citrus, and handmade marshmallows. It tastes like pure summer joy.
Spice Hunting: Fennel Pollen | Serious Eats

Is that about right DD? The soy sesame salmon I have in the oven right now sounds decidedly pedestrian after that.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Then the waiter brought out a free appetizer: veal heart sausage with a macerated cherry gastrique and a basil puree. My mom wouldn't touch it so I ate the whole thing.

Both places are within 10 blocks of my apartment. I am lucky.
Hmm, DD--think I'll stick with Nonna's!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Life, at the risk of being a second pain in the butt,

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Get well soon DD

Life, at the risk of being a pain in the butt, do think about what happens after you come home.

You're going to need some kind of ongoing recovery maintenance, and I haven;t seen you talk about that much at all.

D
you do need to think through the coming home carefully. You said that you will go to meetings and look for a job, but day in day out you are going to need to do the hard yards without work and without alcohol. So think about how you are going to structure those days and how you will make those days sober. I'd still recommend going downstairs to the bottle shop and telling them to never serve you again.

Tomorrow will be a big difficult day for me. My aunt, my late Dad's younger sister, died last week and the funeral is tomorrow. It's hard for Mum, she is the last of her generation in the family now. I'm dreading seeing my five cousins and their assorted families -- we could not be more different, they go to a very err, fundamentalist type church. They are all lovely people but I can't stand their outlook and I'm sure it's returned. AV has been shrieking about a cold chardonnay for hours. I won't.

I don't want to be the grown up daughter/niece etc, I want to shriek and whinge. It didn't help that I had a bottle of tomato paste break in my grocery trolley this afternoon but one thing will carry me through all this: hey Ken how about us? We usually do this with PMs -- don't we? -- but today let's celebrate ...

18 months

Who'd have thunk it?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Marcher

D
Old 09-09-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Sorry, Marcher. I'm sure you will get through the funeral with grace. I'm sure you will be a comfort for your mother. Hope you get to dodge the cousins.

Congratulations, BTW, to you and Budd on your 18 months anniversary!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss, Marcher!

Duff, glad to hear you are on the mend.

Marcher and Ken, huge congrats on 18 months!

Shoes, I always love your posts. I, too, once had a juicer and it wasn't worth it with the cleaning time. I now have a Vitamix and it's great - basically cleans itself and pulverizes anything in its path!

DD, although I love to eat, I'll happily leave organ meats, octopus and such to you :-)

Life, I fought my IOP for awhile, but now realize just how important it is for me. I'm also finally seeing how distorted an alcoholic brain can be - especially for an active alcoholic! I will be thinking of you and hope you get nicely de-stressed on your visit.

Gilmer and Toots, have a lovely day. :-)
Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Marcher, sorry for your loss, and I understand how difficult it must be for your mother to lose the last of her contemporaries.
I imagine you will be dignity personified at the funeral, your cousins sound a barrel of laughs!

Budd, I was amused at your way of dealing with the kids wayward behaviour, I'd be tempted to put superglue in the finger holes..... Did I say the at or just think it???

Trachy I am okish, not feeling great, but I haven't been sleeping well and am a bit snuffly and achy today. Well, you asked!

Duff, I'm glad you are on the mend, I wrote a poem once on the limerick thread about the family getting ill, I'll need to look it out.

Sass, funny how we don't always know when we are standing in our own way of recovery, sometimes it is only when we look back that we clearly see the self sabotage.

DD, much as I would love to sample some of the foods you do, I know that if I saw that on a menu outside a restaurant I would walk on considering it too pretentious for me.

Shoes, I have just downloaded that app to give it a try!! Will let you know how it goes. I love when we get to be around to actually experience Karma, often we just hear about it eventually or have to believe it will happen. As for the juicer, coulda told you that sweetie, it's why corner cupboards across the nation are full of them, as is craigslist and TAG sales.

Life, I know you don't want to be nagged, so I won't say anything other than ensure you have plenty of structure to your early recovery.

I am finding the thought that several of us are around the 18 month mark pretty incredible, I find the quarters stand out for me so anything that marks a quarter or multiple thereof is a magic number, I don't count my days, in fact last month I was surprised to see my name on the 24 thread and wondered what I'd done wrong before I realised it was an anniversary message! But a year and a half to me will be an achievement.

Hugs Marchers x
Old 09-09-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"snuffly"? "achy"? Sounds like chicken soup time!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Chicken soup sounds wonderful Trachy.
Duff, as promised, my little ode to a woman in a household of sick family:-

It is an oft spoken fact
Which women will approach with tact
If family is down with flu
This is what they usually do
Momma swift will act

To pharmacy for remedies she runs
Then chicken soup from scratch she makes for fun
Calling schools and work
Imploring that loved ones won't shirk
All with temp at 101

She will change sodden sheets and straighten bed
Sit up with wheezing child while holding head
Rush to hubby's side
To hear his sickly cries
Temp now 103 and in the red

Washing machine is smoking from abuse
Tumble dryer breaks from over use
Launderette 4 blocks away
Walking quicker than parking any day
Cold air keeps temp down to 104- just

More soup is need not a prob,
Side trip to the butchers shop
Must cancel little league
Explain family has the plague
Temp down to 102 no need to stop

Kids are bored and whiny, getting well
Hubby coughing, wheezing feels like hell
Climbing stair mountain
Sweating a fountain
Back up to 104 what's that smell?

Of course you haven't bathed or changed in days
Running up and down and sidey ways
Stomach no longer hiding feet
Exactly when did you last eat?
Temp 105, and there it stays

Children feeling better, off to school
Hubby almost ready to pick up tools
Laundry mountain now just hill
You'refunctioning on strength of will
Down to 101, so almost cool

Children run shouting for school bus
Hubby picks his lunch up with a cuss
He says I should be pleased
(Even forgot to wheeze)
That I ' never got it near as bad as us'
Old 09-09-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Bravo, Toots :-)
Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Marcher, BIG Congrats on 18 months, I seem to be forgetting the date the last few months.

Also congrats to Sass and Life for hitting some milestones recently.

As the time continues since my last drink, one of the things I use when I feel a craving now is memories. While my time in the legal system is never going to be any of my favorites, they are the most important. I use the worst parts to kick the crap out of that AV whenever it rears it's head. The night in jail and the 12 weeks of "counseling" are probably doing the most for keeping me in line when the urge to stray pops up.

In a few weeks, I'll be heading back to Illinois for my brother's Hall of Fame induction. I will be seeing a lot of friends that I haven't seen for at least 7 to 20 years. A few have already tried to make plans on meeting up for drinks. As only a few people from those times know that I have retired, I decided to send them all messages that while I would love to see everybody, I wont meet up at a bar unless there is some other entertainment offered. I'm sure I wont get to see everyone I would like, but I don't want to be made or make anyone else uncomfortable.

No plans for 18 month celebration, just going to work and head home for the Season Premiere of Sons of Anarchy.

Maybe a tuna sandwich and onion rings for dinner. (Sorry DD I'm just not that adventurous!)

Toots, silicone spray works better than superglue, they cant hold on to throw the ball hard enough to cause any damage!
Old 09-09-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Also Trach, I have about a 2 hour layover in Atlanta on my way to Illinois. I don't know how far you are from there, but, if you're close I'd love to treat you to a fabulous airport lunch
Old 09-09-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

(((Marcher))) So sorry for your loss and the impending family reunion at the funeral. Agree that you will handle it all with grace and dignity.

Toots, that poem is priceless and it is being printed and put on our fridge!! Couldn't be more true!

CONGRATS Budd & Marcher. 18 months!! Can you believe it?? So awesome!!!!!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Then the waiter brought out a free appetizer: veal heart sausage with a macerated cherry gastrique and a basil puree.
I saw this dish being prepared in a movie. Silence of the Lambs.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

I know turkey hearts and giblets (gizzards) make a terrific base for gravy! I've never eaten the heart, but I love the giblets.

If you ever get them inside your turkey but don't have the intestinal fortitude to use them for gravy, cook them and give them to your dog. He will go nuts!

I don't recommend microwaving, though, especially not livers--they explode!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, the thought of you all kept me sane today as I lived through the single most horrendous day since I started on this sobriety road. The funeral service, sorry "celebration" of my aunt's life went on for one hour and forty five minutes, constant standing up and sitting down, a lot of new age mumbo jumbo. The five children (my age) and husbands/wives and the sixteen grandchildren (mostly adults) all subscribe to this religious approach and were completely revisionist in telling the history of my aunt's life. My blood pressure has plummeted in the last 18 months but it was pounding in my ears today.

Poor Mum, it was hard for her. Yes Toots she is the last of her generation in our family but she still has friends, especially her best friend of 72 years.

On the way out to the car Mum slipped on a wet patch and cut her hand badly (thin skin) but she is OK, there was a paramedic there who looked after her and we went to her doctor this afternoon. Fortunately she has the visit of a dear friend to look forward to tomorrow.

I can't remember being this tired for years but it's over now. As North says, Big Love to you all.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
Also Trach, I have about a 2 hour layover in Atlanta on my way to Illinois. I don't know how far you are from there, but, if you're close I'd love to treat you to a fabulous airport lunch
Hey, let me know when. If I'm not working we'll get together. The airport's not too far to come and meet you.

Hopefully, when my life is told, there will be some revisionisting going on.

If you don't know how, here's how. Takes that bag of giblets and put em in a pan with some chicken or turkey stock. Boil till done. Dice em up and use them and the liquid to make a cream gravy. Serve with the bird and stuffing or dressing.

"Dressing?" you ask. Dressing is the Southern answer to the question: "Where's the stuffing?" We don't put it in the bird, we put it in a pan and bake it in the oven. At it's simplest, it's bread, spices, eggs, and drippings from the roast bird. It ain't fluffy but dense. Gravy is a side note as it is more flavorful than most things on the table. Dressing recipes are among the most closely guarded secrets in southern families.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that day is over for you Marcher

time for a new thread guys:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-32-a.html

D