# 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just popping my head in to say Happy New Year gang

D
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
11Stars (01-08-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, Dee! Thanks for keeping our thread up!

My husband called yesterday morning to tell me that his mom passed away. He seems to be holding up well, focusing on taking care of his dad and being with his brothers. I hope he is well-cared for, too. I feel very helpless in the whole situation. We're waiting to tell our daughters (though only the oldest will actually "hear" us) until he gets home, which I think makes the most sense. I think together, we'll better be able to answer her questions and help her through her grief. My husband will be staying down a few extra days - just through the weekend. I feel.... I don't really know. I'm having a little anxiety here and there. I started my period today, and for the past several months, I do get a little anxiety when it starts - hormones shifting. The worst of my anxiety, though, is usually 7-10 days into my cycle, and he will be home by then. I'm using essential oils to help it out, and I always have my Xanax as backup (though I STILL haven't used it!).

We're going to a festival today - do you all know peeps marshmallow candy? We live near the factory, and they are putting on a "Peepsfest" for NYE at a town near us. They are going to drop an 84 lb peep at 5:15 - perfect for the kiddos (it's not real marshmallow!!! ), and fireworks after that. Sounds like so much fun. We'll come home and I'll make an appetizer-y dinner and let the girls stay up as late as they want/can. Then I plan to take the Christmas decorations down tonight. My parents are coming over for lunch tomorrow, and I'll ask my dad to help me take the tree out. I'm trying to set up a playdate for Saturday morning, and hopefully one on Friday, too. The nights are hardest for me. Not the going to bed part, but around 9pm, when the girls are in bed and I'm just.... here.

No thoughts of drinking. I like that. I'm done thinking of myself as an alcoholic. It's a strange box to put myself in. I'm not losing my vigilance over cravings - I can always pull the label back out again. But I'm done defining myself by it. I don't drink because it does me only harm. I realize that's not a far cry from the word alcoholic, but I just don't feel like alcohol has a hold on me - neither the desire for it, or the fight against it. Does that make sense?
Old 01-01-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Happy New Year Moms!! Wishing all of you a sober and healthy 2015.

BeBetter, how was the Peepsfest?

We stayed in last night and had a nice steak dinner, but I did miss being able to have champagne. I feel so sad when I think about how I will never be able to enjoy it again
We were all asleep by 11 so missed seeing the ball drop. Hubby and I have been exhausted - feeling like an old, boring married couple right now I just hope we don't get into the habit of not celebrating NYE. It doesn't feel the same with me not drinking, but hopefully that will change with more time?

Off to my Mom's later today for her traditional pork & sauerkraut good luck dinner. Hope you are all doing well xxx
Old 01-01-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Hi all and happy new years!
I am new here and came along this place and it seems so caring and wonderful and a great fit for me, hope you don't mind me sneaking in!

Let me introduce myself,

I am a 28 year old mother of 2. Daughter 5 years and a son 2 years. My drinking went out of control after suffering Post Partum OCD with 2 year old. I maintain my house hold, have a nice job, and play as much as I can with the kiddos. As you all know, IT IS HARD to have a busy life and when I found out that I could relax with a cold one, well, it was over, I felt as if that is my only means of relaxing. My kids are very very busy, especially my son, but he is at the point now that he can entertain himself for 20 minutes and that has been so so helpful, so in that time, I want to not go to the fridge for a 'mommy pop' and find something to do that is constructive. I like how on SR people spill their lives and I have needed to do that for so long. I have a supportive family but I have kept my problem to myself as I had a sister who had a serious problem that eventually got the best of her, and I have a cousin that is in and out of rehab. I feel that it would break my mother if she knew how much I have been drinking. My dad passed 5 years ago and she is still grieving. ANYWAY, I am on day 1 and I will be on SR for most of the day so if anyone needs some one to talk to I'm here.

Thanks all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowtown For This Useful Post:
Babs78756 (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Welcome snow town! Good for you!!!!! Keep it up. My goodness those first few days are the hardest. I drank every night for 20 something years. I just got sick of it. It became a habit and got expensive. I was puffy and I kept wanting more. I now don't have to worry about going to the store! It's an awesome freedom. I hope you can come on here as much as you need to. I posted a lot at the beginning. I'm almost at 11 months and I've never been happier. My entire day is good now not just the drunk times. Welcome:-)))))
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucygoose For This Useful Post:
Babs78756 (01-02-2015), Bebetter (01-02-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi moms,

Been a few days since I checked in...been a busy school vacation, but it's back to normal tomorrow.

Welcome Snow Town! Glad to have you joining us. First few days are rough, but believe me...it gets so much easier with time. I just past 20 months:-) this thread and group of women have been such an important part of my sobriety, and I just know you will gets tons of support here:-)

Bebetter...you are doing great keeping busy, and that peep fest sounds so fun!!

My daughter had a nice break but she is so ready for school....she misses her friends. I am ready to get back to work too...the food fest of the last 2 weeks has me bloated. But before I hop back on the fitness train I indulged in one last decadent dessert I made today.... Vanilla cake with white chocolate raspberry buttercream..YUM!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hi moms,

Been a few days since I checked in...been a busy school vacation, but it's back to normal tomorrow.

Welcome Snow Town! Glad to have you joining us. First few days are rough, but believe me...it gets so much easier with time. I just past 20 months:-) this thread and group of women have been such an important part of my sobriety, and I just know you will gets tons of support here:-)

Bebetter...you are doing great keeping busy, and that peep fest sounds so fun!!

My daughter had a nice break but she is so ready for school....she misses her friends. I am ready to get back to work too...the food fest of the last 2 weeks has me bloated. But before I hop back on the fitness train I indulged in one last decadent dessert I made today.... Vanilla cake with white chocolate raspberry buttercream..YUM!

2015-01-04 20.25.19.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Dollyangel17 For This Useful Post:
Bebetter (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Dolly - that cake is beautiful!! Like you, I indulged quite a bit over the holidays, and it's time to reign it all in. It was back to the gym for me today, and I managed to substitute my usual ice cream with a nice little piece of chocolate. Though I did indulge in a bit of homemade vanilla yogurt and granola this afternoon.... sounds healthy, but it's a really high calorie snack.

How is everyone doing?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Overeating is now a big problem. ... I know it's better than wine but I'm getting too chubby. Family stuff stretched me over Christmas. Still going back and forth to doc woth my poorly ear. But hey. ....trying to be positive. .... not had any wine though
Xx
The Following User Says Thank You to petals For This Useful Post:
Bebetter (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

I too have been indulging in sweets! I played tennis today but just looked in the mirror. My cheeks look quite chubby:-( It's time to start eating better and walking a lot!

Dolly-loved the cake!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

11 months sober today!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lucygoose For This Useful Post:
11Stars (01-08-2015), Babs78756 (01-08-2015), OnMyWay7 (01-13-2015), petals (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Woohoo Lucy!!!!! Way to go....we are so proud of you. You have come so far and been through so much, but your commitment to your sobriety was evident, and you are stronger for it. You are an inspiration my dear:-)

Congrats!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dollyangel17 For This Useful Post:
lucygoose (01-09-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Congratulations lucy.x you are an inspiration to us all.xx
The Following User Says Thank You to petals For This Useful Post:
lucygoose (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Thanks Dolly and Petals!

Hubby leaves for a business trip next week. He's been sober over 80 days and doing so well. I worry while he's away that he relapses. Hotels, business dinners.

I need to let it go and let God worry for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to lucygoose For This Useful Post:
petals (01-10-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Congratulations Lucy! A few more weeks and you'll have a year under your belt! Well done.

I had a craving today that bugged me a lot. I was cooking a birthday dinner for my husband (it's not his birthday, but I work on his birthday, so close enough...) - homemade Italian bread, homemade pasta - the whole works, and I really wanted a glass of wine with it. Or a beer. It wasn't one of those passing "oh well" cravings. It put the thought into my head "What if I can't do this anymore?" (meaning sobriety). Lately, I've been telling myself to stop eating so much sh!t, and I've totally played the same game as I used to play with alcohol. Shut off my head, and just indulge. And immediately afterwards, I feel awful - both physically and mentally.

And that makes me feel weak. That I can't just stop eating the f-ing ice cream. I am not overweight. I'm not even close. I'm smack in the middle of my BMI range, I work out fairly hard 4-6 days a week, and I don't binge eat. But still, I feel like I'm addicted to my nightly giant ice cream sundae, and I'm really unhappy about my seeming inability to stop the habit. (And I'm not happy with my weight or body shape, so it's not a case of just eating the damn ice cream and being happy.) And I feel like if I can't stop that, then I've not really changed at all. And it makes alcohol all the more dangerous. What if someday, I just decide not to stay sober?

I played the tape to the end, as they say, and it looked ugly. I'm vowing to myself right now that I will not eat the f-ing ice cream tonight. Plan B is a small piece of chocolate, and coffee with maple syrup and milk.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Bebetter- I'm there with you! I eat too much sugar too. My triglycerides are high again just like when I drank. So depressing. At first when I stopped drinking I felt such good results but now I too am binging on unhealthy food. It is so unhealthy but I'm having trouble stopping. I'm not overweight either but feeling puffy like I did while drinking. That's super frustrating! I'm eating carbs constantly. Good for you to be so active:-). I need to work on that too. I've been busy with work and haven't taken advantage of free time to work out. Time to get up and start the day but feeling exhausted and puffy. Like I did after a hangover. Yuck!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking I too started eating.
Now I eat far too much rubbish. .. I've put weight on and I'm not happy.
Life seems to be battle after battle. Xx
Old 01-13-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm "new here" which means I was here in 2011 and now back under a new name because I can't remember my old one.

I'm a 52 year old gay Mom of 4 (13 b/g twins, then 9 and 7 yo girls). My SO has had depression for about 10 years which is what I think made my drinking so easy. It made me not feel the insults you get from a depressed spouse and it was also easy because no one paid attention to my drinking. But enough is enough. I got turned down for life insurance because I have elevated liver enzymes and was just taken by surprise. Kind of. Knew I had been drinking too much but didn't think that this would happen to me. You'd never know it by looking at me.

So now I'm here trying to get sober. My SO thinks I'm "being dramatic" and doesn't think I drink that much (because she doesn't see me that's why) and thinks I should just "lay off for a bit" so I can get the insurance

I mean years ago when I quit I kind of made a big deal about it and she doesn't see that I'm here again? So weird.

Anyway - my life my issue and I need to get sober for me so I can enjoy my kids and Disney.
Hope to find some support here for me to stay sober.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. As you know here is a great place to find help and support. My hubby doesn't really understand so I'm alone too in the real world with my fight but never really alone as I come to sr daily.xx
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Welcome Teebee! I'm glad you've joined us. I have 2 girls, ages 2 and 5, and am 19 months sober. I have found such great support on this site. My husband is fantastic, but it's not a fight he's ever had to make, and I don't really talk to him about or get support from him in my sobriety. I am so much happier and healthier now, though it was not easy at the start. I hope you stick around and seek support from us when you need it!