Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 35

Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
Sparky- There ARE other things to drink than beer. And a lot of them actually taste better than beer does. You might consider trying some other beverages- soda, tea, coffee, milk, juice, gatorade, of good old fashioned water. Also, plenty of ways to get fancy if you want with virgin mixed drinks. Soda water with ice and a slice of lemon, or Carlos is always talking about his fave- the Arnold Palmer. Personally, I've taken to drinking juice mixed with soda water lately. Or mix up a nice smoothie with some frozen fruit, yogurt and milk in the blender. There are a million great options that don't involve liquor stores or even the beer isle at the grocery store.
There are other things to drink than beer?

Really?

LOL. However, it was golf night last night, so some NA beer was on the menu.

In fact, I'm with Carlos, and love the Arnold Palmer. My DW just bought me a giant tub of the Arizona powdered stuff (MAKES 387 GALLONS!) too!

I do also like Pepsi, and cranberry/ginger ale.

However, here in Manitoba, we only sell liquor through government stores, and beer through vendor permits (usually at hotels) - in other words, we need to go out of our way to find booze. Its not at Wal Mart or the grocery store, which is good.

If only I could find good NA beer at the grocery store, things would be great! Would never have to go near a place that sells alcohol.

Last edited by SparkyMcSparky; 07-24-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Interesting - the autocensorbot doesn't like the word ******** - I'll try permits
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I knocked out all the steps of my personal hygiene routine, so I feel better now. Ready to face the afternoon!
And others will thank you for it!

Have an awesome afternoon Gilmer.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Hi guys,

Sparky, great to see you have found a comfy chair in the Undie club and are fast giving it a butt crease of your own! I love you contributions to the limerick thread too. If you have some time to while away, look back over some of those earlier threads, we all found poetry great therapy. I don't write so much there these days.

DG, I agree about the variety of A-free drinks. I did consider A- free beer at first, but someone told me it isn't completely A-free, there is a small amount of alcohol in it, also I was concerned my brain would still associate it as me still drinking. I pretty much now just drink club soda, about 3 litres a day just now in this heat!
Thanks Toots (love typing that). As I'm doing a secular recovery, and have no one else I'm quitting with, coming here daily to chat and help others is an important part of my emerging sobriety. Glad to have found such a nice couch and nice people to talk with.

I also have read the threads about NA beer. I find them interesting, as if someone's drink was rum and coke, they wouldn't give up coke. Same with vodka and orange juice, or gin and tonic, or a bloody Mary.

Yes, NA beer has around 0.5% alcohol (10 NA beers - 1 regular beer), but lots of other drinks we drink also have alcohol that we don't even think about. Technically, anything with sugar ferments to some extent, which creates alcohol. To wit:

- Snapple fruit punch was withdrawn from stores in UAE after testing at 0.48% alcohol content
- Unpasteurized apple juice (you know, the "healthy stuff" - aka sweet cider) will ferment on its own
- Bread can have as much as 0.98% alcohol by weight! Not to mention all those other nice fermented yeasty products such as pizza crust also contain alcohol

Also of note, it is virtually impossible to get even buzzed on NA beer, as you expel and metabolize the alcohol faster than you take it in.

As much as I liked getting drunk on beer, I did also like the taste of beer as I'm not much of a sweet drink guy (at least I wasn't before quitting drinking!).

So I'm trying not to be too pedantic about NA beer. If I enjoy it, and it acts as a great brake on my AV in certain situations, then NA beer I will drink.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Might want to get a little sun there.....
Old 07-24-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by SparkyMcSparky View Post
Might want to get a little sun there.....Curt.
Fixed it for ya'. She said she was Curt with her dad today.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm with you on the NA, Sparky. Hot outside means beer. I can get at least four kinds at the grocery. I saw 1 dozen at the liquor store the other day. A six pack of 1 proof beer can't even wake up the beast in me.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Fixed it for ya'. She said she was Curt with her dad today.
Booooo.

Funny to see "1 proof" in writing.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I guess I can finish my post now since my electricity back on.

Hum, oh yea, G-Mom, I hope that your day is improving. I vividly remember my frustration with my Dad from time to time as he advanced through the stages of Alzheimer's. All too often over some of those years I used that frustration as a reason to tie one on. Stay strong young lady...and I do mean lady, not billy!

Courage, truth be told, I found your post a bit cryptic...please remember just how easily you BL's can talk over my head...CAN I GET A WITNESS!!

Hey Toots, great to see you. May I assume that your wee is over. Hey what is a double wee?

DG, since you choose to ignore my complement, I shall double down. Did you add any plummer jea...oops, I mean drummer jeans to the new wardrobe? I agree with you on the beverage front. I'll keep mine without even the similar look, feel or taste of the real thing. For me, I've learned that the act of drinking was but one of the symptoms of my alcoholism...my thinking played a much bigger role. So I don't even want to imagine the act of drinking. Again, sms and trach, that's just my approach for keeping my AV at bay.

MB, Toots wrote that you have successfully sold your ride. Bravo, and p-vibes your way!

Drake, did you buy MB's ride?

Dottie and Tanja, as always, thinking positive thoughts and vibes and sending them both your way's.

Hey BF, sooo glad that your back is feeling better. So true about the circle of drinking and pain killers...at least it was for me.

Hey Babs, if you get a chance, join us again as we DQ daily. You have been missed!

Hey 19, I know exactly what you are reading behind those Foster Grants!

North, what is shaken? I promise a pic of the new deck once complete with furnishings. My buddy is on another project at present and I am in a holding pattern. Wish I had your skills though.

Okay, enough for now. Enjoy this clean and sober lifestyle we have chosen!

Carlos xx

PS - Ali and Else, it is great to have you two horsing around again!!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
Again, sms and trach, that's just my approach for keeping my AV at bay.
Understood 100% Carlos. Neither of us is right. What we are is doing what's right for us.

And that's the whole point of this, right!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well, I went to the dentist at 3. Got back at 7! It was an eventful afternoon.

Dee, THANK YOU for recommending that I get a second opinion. This new guy is super-competent. He took an X-ray of the tooth with the aborted root canal and he said, "Hmmm. See that white line up there?"

"Yes."

"That's a piece of cleaning equipment that broke off in the root! It happens. Do you want me to drill it all out to see what's under there?"

"Absolutely."

So he drilled the old filling out, and showed me an enormous black crack going horizontally into the tooth, all the way up into the root. Like a pane of glass going up through the tooth.

"This has to come out. Do you want to get it done now?"

"Sure!"

So he cracked it into three pieces because of the crazy, multi-convoluted root. Two pieces came out fairly easily, but the last one was a bear. I think it got a little heated there between him and the tooth! Like Captain Ahab and Moby Dick! At one point he was grinding my goggles into the bridge of my nose against his chest trying to tug the thing out.

He twisted and kneaded and yanked--I am in a lot of pain now, and I know I'm going to look like something MB beat up tomorrow!

All I'm taking for pain right now is 800 mg. Ibuprofen.

He also put a bone graft in while he was in there (where does the bone come from? SANITIZED CADAVERS! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!). He gave me some steroids so my gums wouldn't become irritated, some periodontal mouthwash, and an antibiotic.

I go back to see him in 10 days.

He is cheaper than the last guy who did an extraction/implant--the other guy had a big cosmetic surgery operation, too. The new guy, Dr. Chung (NOT Chong!), is just starting out and he's really grateful for the business.

I appreciate not having to chase around to 100 different dentists to get things done! I am definitely switching!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Carlos-- Thank you for calling me a lady!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got a second opinion too. There are some really great dentists out there - and some criminals LOL

I can imagine Chong as a dentist
'This won't hurt me a bit man...'

D
Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yeah Gilmer!

What a relief!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey, North! What's up with you?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm doing better, thanks. I haven't smoked cigs for months now and have a few things going. Not perfect, but better and hopefully will keep getting better. Baby steps.

I hope you're tooth feels better. Sounds so painful, but at least you know you did the right thing.

So good to see you here again. Love seeing you on the gratitude threads. Gratitude is really changing my attitude.

Aly xxoo
Old 07-24-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Gilmer hope you're getting some rest after your busy day! And that the pain isn't too bad with that tooth.

Toots what have you been up to that's kept you so busy!?

Carlos Looking forward to seeing a pic when your project is finished!

Work went by pretty quick. My schedule kinda got changed and I'm working tues thru sat for about the next month now which is ok with me being that I'll have Sundays and Mondays off. Didn't take any meds for my back today and just the slightest pain but not much at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well I had another lesson last night in why SR is such a great resource. I had a very close call. I haven't been sleeping well and last night was just anguish, couldn't stop thinking about a recent conversation with my mother that recalled a lot of old feelings and made me feel really alone, it was 4 am, my bf is in Europe, etc. I had thought of using some old pills I had previously, but last night I actually got out of bed and got them out. But I didn't use, thanks in large part to coming on here and reading all your supportive messages. (Also because I looked up the drug interactions and scared myself off, just to keep it honest.)

Anyway, being able to come here 24/7 and be reminded that I'm not alone is so wonderful. Thank you all.

And I promise my next post will not be all about me! I'm just on my phone now, trying to avoid the late night computer trap I've been falling into lately.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Aly! Congratulations on the no smoking! I stopped posting there because I joined in smoking to occasional cigar--but I stopped last week. Between a sore throat and my dental problems, I'm just done.

My tooth is hardly hurting at all today! Just 2 ibuprofen will do.

BF, I'm relieved your back is not hurting much at all anymore.

Gracette, congratulations on doing exactly the right thing and tuning into SR to stop the urges dead in their tracks. I'm sorry the talk with your mother was so unpleasant. My suggestion: if the pills are old, and you ought not to take them for medical reasons, get rid of them. The only purpose they serve is to tempt you.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Morning undies!

Nice to see you back Gracette! I too get on SR with my phone sometimes when the going gets rough, I don't have to post, just reading and smiling helps a great deal! I have all of my home group members in my contact list on my phone, but I hate to bother someone at work when I have SR and the Undies to get me through troubled times!

Now that your back is feeling better BF, don't be like me and overdo it! I have back pain that surfaces fom time to time just due to stupidity on my part from overdoing it, then just as it start to feel good again, I get stupid again lol. Nothing worse than back pain, other than a toothache eh Gilmer! Great to hear the new dentist is getting things done!

Carlos, I would hope after 40 years doing the same thing that I would have developed some skill and proficiency lol. Sounds like you have a knowledgeable friend giving you a hand!! It's always nice to have those kinds of frends around and I'm sure you'll be able to return the favor!

Thinking of all the others I haven't mentioned, but are always in my thoughts throughout the day! I don't post all the time to each of you, but I read your posts everyday to listen, learn, and use your thoughts and experiences to help me on my journey. It's nice to belong to a group that is here for everyone!

Have a great day and even better weekend!!!