Administrator

Class of March 2011 Part 23

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-22-a-21.html

D
Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can lose the uneasiness mirage - if you need support at least one of us should be around

D
Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks kiddo, I'm hangin in. I'm also....

FIRST. Bwahahahaha! I haven't been first in about 2 years. Ahhhh.....life is good.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you feeling better today, Mirage? Change is hard. Confrontation is hard, too, and a resignation sometimes feels a little like confrontation, even when it's not. But this too shall pass. I think it's really good that you're taking care of you. Was it the bad guy from last year that pushed you over the edge to choose to stop working there?

I had my AA meeting this morning, then we stocked up on a TON of fruits and veggies at the farmers' market. Michigan blueberries are out, and they're beyond fabulous! We bought 15 pounds of them. We can eat a lot of blueberries. I also got green beans, wax beans, salad cucumbers, sweet cherries, and kohlrabi. Our focus in my meetings this month is fruit/veggies, and a bunch of people tried kohlrabi for the first time last week and told us all about it. I have to try it, too! I'll let you know what I think.

Oh, and we got Rudy a nice, smelly bone. He's loving on it right now.

We're off to the beach for a little while now (just dh and I ... the kids are all with friends). It's a BEAUTIFUL day! About 82 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. The waves beckon.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It hasn't cleared here yet, PBC. Cloudy and not very warm! It'll clear up tonight. Weird how 3 hours can be so different in weather.

Yeah, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. It wasn't for me in a number of ways, tho. I'm relieved I'm not returning.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Mirage)))) so good you did what's right for you hope it feels better soon

Up to go to my weights class, love this instructor!

Then we're going to a wedding in Brooklyn, will be a v stylish hipster summer scene

God smiled on me! I wanted a new dress, short on time, popped into consignment store yesterday . Score! And it was 50% off, 16$!!

Short, tight, sleeveless, comfortable!

I'll try for a good fb pic.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't wait to see it, Frances! You know I'm the consignment queen.

I'm hoping for another beach day after church today, if I can talk dh into it. This is my first sober summer in many, many years, and I want to ENJOY it as much as I possibly can.

Next weekend I have my 25th class reunion. From what I can see on fb, it looks like it will be a low turnout of people. Honestly, the planning was kinda lacking, which probably threw a lot of people off. But I'm sure it will be fun, either way. At our 20th, I remember I'd started drinking (lightly) early in the day, but by the time I went back to the hotel room at midnight after dancing and drinking a LOT of rum and diets, I was trashed. The next day was one of the worst hangovers I ever experienced. Not this time! I think I'll pick up some of that La Croix (I can't spell it!) sparkling coconut water to take to sip on all day so that I have something in my hand that's kinda special for me. That helps me to avoid slipping into the "poor me - everyone else can drink and I can't" mentality. I may ask dh to abstain that night, too ... we'll see how I feel.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Day 4 begins. Easier to do when I am working all the time, and the girls are on vacation.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it, Lofty!

Ladies...I recently bought a necklace on Etsy as a little 3 year birthday present for myself. I wanted something sort of sobriety related, though not obviously so. I found this and I received it yesterday. It came with the nicest note..it was more like a letter. The girl will have 4 years in November, so very close to us. Anyway, I wanted to show you just to show you or in case you like it enough to don it yourself. I hope this link to etsy works. If not, I'll try it a different way. Scroll down a bit, the necklace is closer to the bottom.

Have a great day, folks!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1926493...ef=favs_view_1
Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job, Lofty! Welcome back.

Mirage, I love that idea! It's making my creative juices start flowing ... hmmm ....
Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi lofty!

Love it mirage! So special. I have a 2yr ring. Mebbe I need a 3yr present to myself!

I realized fb was making me nuts, so I'm moderating. let's see how it works! Deleted from phone so at least I can curtail it that way.

Aussie been a while since I asked about your health and the liver number. Does the doc think it will go down with continuing healthy sobriety? Rooting for your health!

Speaking of birthdays, PBC how are you going to celebrate?

Hi dee! Hi Bryan!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Funny you say that about fb, frances. It gets to me sometimes, too. I definitely check it too much. It's like there are a bunch of friends in that little box (computer) and they're all talking and joking and I don't want to miss anything. Silly! Sometimes I'll find that I'm not feeling happy or I'm on edge and I sit for a minute and ask myself why. Sometimes it's due to something I read on fb and I didn't even really realize it at the time. Anyway, I know what you mean. Like yesterday, 300 pictures got posted on fb from that golf fundraiser for my 2 high school friends who died..the one I went to in May. I took most of those pics, and my friend took some, too. There was also another lady there who took posed shots of each foursome. I really tried to get everybody there, and tried to get cool candid shots. I don't golf and I don't drink, so my only real role was photographer. Well they posted the pics and thanked the photographers and mentioned the other names but forgot mine! lol I was kinda bummed! I mean it doesn't really matter, but I was really trying to get good ones of people, and I feel like I worked hard. It's a little funny, weird, disappointing. But it made me want to steer clear of fb today cuz who needs something like that to affect their day?? It's not worth caring about, for sure. Know what I mean?

My college roommate is coming from Utah today! It's funny, I just stayed with her on our trip a few weeks ago, and now it's her turn. She's from here, so she's in to see family and is staying with us tonight. We are grilling chicken and a bunch of vegetables for dinner, and a cherry pie for dessert. Her 4 yr old is kind of high maintenance, but hopefully it'll be a good visit. I bought too much food and snacks! I always do for guests!

Sometimes I feel like the world is falling apart between Gaza and Russia/Ukraine. Good grief, it's such a mess.

Weather is perfect today. Sunny, breezy and and 70s.

Have a great day, friends!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Something else. It's been bothering me since it happened and I think I'd feel better if I threw it out to you guys and got your feedback on it:

So a few weeks ago, I'm out in Utah with the family, staying the night with my college roomy. She offered D a beer and he did a 'nah, that's alright, thanks'. She asked him if he didn't drink anymore, too, or something along those lines and he said that he just really doesn't much anymore cuz I don't and he feels like it's rubbing it in my face a little when he drinks in front of me. I said, all I always do, 'go ahead, it's fine!' and he then said to her, 'well, if you want company, I'll have one with you'. All good. And THEN she said, 'I don't feel bad, it's HER choice'. And that stung a little. I'd rather be the kind of person who can have that odd beer here or there, or tie one on one night, and not think about it again for a long time. But I'm not. I've proven to myself it's not how I'm wired. That's not my choice. If it were "my choice", I'd have a few beers without my AV screaming in my ear, "awww yeaaah...she's BACK!" It made me mad because it didn't feel very nice. It felt more like a "f her, it's her choice". And this is from one of my best friends, not some joe shmoe at a party or something. Just wondered what you all's thoughts were. I think I know, but I just needed to get it off my chest.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Haha, hey! I tried posting a pic I took and it worked!

(K see, this is what happens when I stay off fb.)
Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think you're so awesome, Mirage. I totally *get* everything you just wrote. I've felt all those feelings. You're so authentic.

As for D, have you talked to him about how it made you feel? Sometimes people are totally oblivious to how things make others feel. I had that happen about a month ago at work -- I'd made a joke about something, and one of my receptionists had taken it completely different from what I meant (I would have NEVER guessed this one!). The next week she told me, and I was able to apologize and tell her that I was so sorry she'd thought I meant that, and that I'd been saying something totally unrelated. We're good now. I just didn't know. I wish she'd told me earlier so she hadn't had to go all week thinking what she'd thought!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some of my oldest closest friends can't understand the compulsion or complexity of addiction mirage...

but I kinda am used to that cos a few of them (on the outer periphery) don't understand disability either...the next person who says 'why not just get a wheelchair' is gonna get a fat lip...LOL

I really believe they don't mean to be tossers. They just don't get it.

D
Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
orangutan

I agree, people just don't get it about addiction, if you have a problem "JUST STOP" yeah right, just like that. Sorry about that happening Mirage.

Frances I haven't had any more blood work done just yet, I have the paper work but am going to get the colonoscopy done first, I have got my date I am going in of the 14 August.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking, too. She just doesn't get it. It's weird tho, cuz I feel like even if I couldn't relate, I'd get it enough to know that wasn't a cool thing to say. Meh, I'm not stressing, I know she would never hurt me on purpose. I wanted to hear your opinions tho. I appreciate your comments.

No pbc, I never mentioned it to d. To be clear tho, he didn't do anything upsetting, it was just my friend's comment. We were with the kids (not right that moment, but on the trip) and it didn't really come up again, I didn't feel like it was worth talking about with him really. I wanted more to hear from you guys cuz you understand better. Thanks again. I feel better about letting it go.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'd totally read it wrong ... I though D had said it. Oops!

So I've got my 25th class reunion tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it, and just a tiny bit apprehensive about how comfortable I'll be without drinking. We are staying in the hotel where it's taking place, so I can give myself a time out in my room whenever I need it. I think I'll pick up something for me, too ... some of that La Croix coconut water that I love to carry around with me, and something sweet to keep in the room. I've asked dh to abstain with me, and he's totally cool with that. It's the first time I've asked him to do that in about 6 months.

Today is lots of tying up loose ends before we leave ... like making sure there's easy food here for the kids while we're gone. Dd14 had her braces tightened yesterday, so it needs to be SOFT food. Poor kid!