Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 23

Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Have fun, PBC! I like when D abstains with me when we're out with people. It makes me feel more like we're a team. That was something I didn't know was missing before, and I've been able to identify that as a warm feeling I was missing. I'm glad drinking isn't a priority for him. Glad you'll have a partner in crime tomorrow night. I'm sure it'll be a blast.

Friend and her family just left. They're coming back next Monday for a night before they fly home. The benefits of living closest to the airport! It's so nice cuz I always get to see her when they come in. We had a nice night.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
orangutan

Have a good time at the reunion PBC.

More photos Mirage.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ok, aussie! Here is my youngest and me all sweaty, hiking in Zion Nat'l Pk., ha. I'll try to resize some pretty scenery ones.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is Yellowstone Nat'l Park in Wyoming. Beautiful..known for its wildlife (that bison pic) and its many geothermal features like geysers and hot springs.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
orangutan

Nice pic thanks Mirage , that looks like it might be a bit of a steep hike.

Wow look at the colours in the last one. Beautiful!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is Bryce Canyon, Utah.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It was 3 miles round trip, but it was exhausting! Higher altitude and yeah, pretty steep. Our legs were tired!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Grand Canyon! This is fun, now that I know how. I'll give ya'll a break...for NOW.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
orangutan

Did you go out on that glass lookout thingie?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

No, we didn't. I read about it and read reviews and pretty much everyone said not to bother. A lot of money..(like upwards of $80/per person), just to see what you can see from the south rim. It's not part of the national park, it's on an Indian reservation and it sounds like it's kind of a money trap type thing. Plus it was off the beaten path. Would have taken some effort.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

deleted post
Old 07-26-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Quick one to say I love you guys!

Have fun at the reunion PBC!

More pix!!!!

I love lots to say about the insensitive doesnt understand addiction friend.

None of them nice I am a momma bear for you mirage!

May they never have to understand first hand.

This is why I don't share about my depression. For this exact reason. Thank god for sr and all of you.

More later!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Aw, thank you frances! That momma bear comment made me feel so good!
Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm sitting in my hotel room in my hometown waiting for dh to wake up, so I thought I'd tell you about the reunion. We're right on the lake, and the fog is so thick this morning that when you look at the lake, it just looks like pure nothingness out there. Kinda creepy!

I am SO glad I don't drink! I admit that it was the hardest day I've had in many months. Praise God for His strength and for the mindset to go into it with a plan.

It was a small turnout, which I expected. Dh and I spent a lot of time taking walks by the lake when conversation would wane, which was nice. But by the late event, which was dancing in the bar area at the hotel, many of my classmates were totally wasted. One guy, right near the beginning of that part, literally just fell onto his bum right in the middle of the bar and then sat there for a moment. I think he was a bit embarrassed, because his mood changed from wild to much more reserved after that. It was very loud, which made conversing difficult, so I sipped Dt. Coke all night to keep my throat from getting too sore from the yelling. Dh and I decided that since the music was too loud, we must be too old.

There were some really weird interactions between certain people, too. One guy in particular ... I don't even know how to explain it. I wonder if he's abusive to his wife, honestly, after seeing some of the off-color things he said and did.

One kinda cool thing I learned was that, apparently, I have a number of people who openly confess to "following" me and my family on fb because they find us inspiring. That made me feel really good!

And, near the end of the evening I was standing with my hubby chatting with another classmate and her hubby, and she mentioned something about the fact that we were the only sober ones there. We joked about it for a moment, and it came out that she's in recovery, too. So then we bonded all the rest of the evening. She'd had 3 years at one point, and then went back out. Last night was her most recent day 4, and it was so good for both of us to find each other. We promised to stay in touch via fb for encouragement. Neat-o, huh?

There's supposed to be a breakfast gathering at a local restaurant at 10, but I can't imagine many will make it out of bed by then. We'll show up, if anything because this hotel has NO coffee in the room. AAAAAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!

Love to you all!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Glad it went well as a whole, PBC. Sounds pretty typical of hs reunions in general. I have a feeling mine would have a lot more drunk people. I get the feeling from fb that many of my high school peeps are pretty big drinkers. Mind you, my friends are drinkers cuz I was a drinker. Mind you, I think every teenager was drinking in the 80s. In the days when you got a slap on the wrist from the cops if you were caught drinking in a parking lot, or when strangers would buy for you if you slipped em 10 bucks. It was a different time. Anyway, I'm waaaay off topic. haha. Glad it went ok and that your strength and resolve was there and passed yet another challenge. Stronger and stronger you get!

And what's with people posting their boozy drinks on fb anyway? Who cares that you're having a martini? Even in my drinking days, I wasn't a drinking bragger. lol I swear for every boozy drink I see, I'm gonna post a pic of my iced tea.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
orangutan

Glad you enjoyed the night PBC. I have never been to a reunion I left the city when I was young and lost all contact but I often wonder what has happened to people I went to school with I have kept contact with one girl I grew up with I have known her since we were 5 but she doesn't keep in contact with any one else from school. As for the drinking, there is nothing worse than being around drunk people when you are sober, gets boring very quickly.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I actually did not drink at all in high school. I was a total goody-two-shoes ... I even carried my Bible around with me and went to various Bible studies and lots of academic clubs and activities throughout the week with my friends (who also didn't drink). I was a bit older when I got into drinking.

I've been contemplating the poor turn-out, and I wonder if it's because the ones who did the planning were known to be such partiers and planned the whole thing around a kinda sleezy bar? I'm very seriously considering offering to plan our 30th, and doing my best to make it include a different balance of goings-on. I love event planning, so why not?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Getting our basketball net installed as we speak!
I'm watching B's friend today, so we're going to see the new Planet of Apes movie.
Tomorrow we head up north for the TC film festival. Can't wait to run around seeing movies all weekend! Weather is cool and early fall like.
Ooooh! Net is up! Gonna go clean the backboard before we start using it. lol Am I weird? Tell me no.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

No. (I've very obedient. )

Aussie, what day are you up to?

Lofty, how are you doing?

Dee, how about you? Any progress?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
orangutan

Let me know how that movie is Mirage I want to see it.

PBC I am not counting days any more just months..... it will be 6 months on the 15th August.