Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 23

Old 01-10-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, Marchers!

Things here are snowy. Very, very snowy. And icy. And cold.

But aside from that, I'm good! This week I'll pass the 16 month mark in my sobriety. It seems surreal sometimes. Unfortunately the weather has kept me from a few AA meetings this week, but I plan to make one tomorrow, Monday, and Tuesday. It's truly miraculous how much my life has improved since my last drink. I remember being completely caught in the middle of wanting/needing to quit and wanting with all my heart anything BUT to quit. It was a constant battle in my heart, and it was tearing me up inside. I remember how much of my mental energy went to that, and to figuring out how/when/where/what I was going to drink next, and to the guilt and remorse and rationalizing and demoralizing and despair that followed. Not to mention the physical side effects.

It was crazy to realize that I didn't have a drop of alcohol in all of 2014, and that I wasn't making a New Year's resolution to decrease/manage/quit drinking this year.

My sponsor talked to me about doing some writing, something that would meld the 12 Steps and faith a bit more Biblically than what's available now, and I do think I may pursue that a bit more this year. We'll see where it goes.

How about you all? What will you pursue in 2015?

Mirage, I feel a little guilty confessing that, as I read your last post, I was finishing up a candy bar. Just a little one, though. It fit into my points.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
orangutan

I have been trying to think of what to say to you all but all I can think of is that I am drinking and need to be honest with you. I wish I didn't like the stuff so much and could finally put the bottle down for good.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

I wish that for you, too Aussie! I'm glad you feel you can be honest here. It's so important to have a safe place to share your feelings. I wish I could help you more, just know that you're supported and that you CAN quit for good. xoxo
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

hello my long lost friends! Aussie tipped me off that the thread is still going, so very happy to hear it!!

How is everyone doing? I have missed you!

I have been on and off the wagon since we last spoke. Trying to make it stick this time. I have good news and some very bad news.

Good news: my wife and I had a son in March of this past year. He is happy, healthy & absolutely amazing!

Very bad news: my family lost a child to cancer after a 16 month battle. My beautiful nephew who was more like a son to me. My sis is a single mom and I took off work to be by his side and help her. I still can't accept he is gone. Its something you never get over, but you have to go on. The heartache is indescribable.

Sorry to be a downer, but that is what has been going on. Also, on another note, I have decided to leave finance and go back to school for teaching. Life is too short to keep doing something I dont like!

Hope you all are doing well!! xoxoxo
Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
orangutan

Welcome back becoming!!!!!

Congratulations on your son.
Again I am very sorry for your loss.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Thank you again Aussie!! I'm so happy to have you back in my life.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been ill guys - sorry for the absence.

You had a great run aussie, and not for the first time

I really hope you can figure out a way around the things that stop you from making it a permanent thing.

I'm glad you're back becoming, but I'm sorry for your loss too.

Hi to everyone else as well - mirage PBC Frances, Bryan - and good thoughts out to those who are missing like Lofty, Dave, Rosie...

D
Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
orangutan

I haven't been around much either Dee but the first thing I noticed was that you weren't posting . I hope your feeling better now.

I second that "big shout out to all Marchers"
Old 01-14-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Oh Becoming, what a bittersweet post. So glad to see you and know that you're doing well! Congratulations on your baby, how exciting. Your lives will never be the same. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your nephew. I can't imagine a sorrow like that, I really can't. It would be unbearable. My thoughts are with you and your family. Wow, teaching! What kind are you thinking of? Do you have a grade level or subject in mind? I taught middle school Language Arts and Social Studies before I started a family. I sub now.

Sorry to hear you haven't been well, Dee. Hope you're on the up-swing! Thanks for checking in!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Dee. I am glad you are feeling better!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the kind and thoughtful words mirage! I missed you and am so glad you are still around. That is so cool that you taught! My sis did as well before kids and now she subs like you

I want to get certified in grades 1-6 general and special ed with a concentration in social studies. I think I am going to take a few extra courses to extend my certification up to include grades 7-9 as well.

An advice or thoughts you have are always welcome!

So glad you are doing well!!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
orangutan

All these teachers around I had better brush up on my grammar I don't want my posted being graded poorly.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol aussie

Have a good wekend everyone

D
Old 01-16-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Yep, that's what I did, Becoming. I got a cert for K-5 and then minored in English, Social Science and Science so I was endorsed to teach those subjects 6-8. I do love the middle schools. They're an odd bunch, but their awesome, too. Have fun!

Lol aussie..we're watchin you!

Painters were here this week, hoorah! The boys rooms look AWESOME! Living room next week.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

So nice to see you, Becoming! A son - how awesome is that! I'm so sorry about your nephew, too.

((((Aussie))))) I wish I could do something to help, but I don't know what. I want so much for you to be free of this.

Dee, I had been worried about you! Are you okay now? Feeling better?

Mirage, how fun to be re-decorating! It's crazy what a fresh coat of paint can do for a room.

All is well here. My hours of work have increased, which is a nice healthy thing. When I was drinking, I could barely keep up with what I had, but now I'm able to do so much more.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm fine now PBC - thanks

D
Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

It's the weekend! Woot! We're on our way to a volleyball tournament for dd14, but I wanted to stop in and say hello.

Hugs to you all!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

you are too funny aussie! fear not, I am not planning on being an English teacher and promise not to grade any of your posts

Mirage - great job getting certified in all those subjects! I am just going to do Social Studies. I agree with you about the middle grades though for some reason I have always been drawn to them and I actually really liked Jr High when I went. I know a lot of people say they hated it. Thanks!!

So good to hear from you PBC! I hope you are doing well! Thanks very much for the congrats on my son and the condolences about my nephew. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hi all! Everything i good here, the painters are done and the place looks great! I got rid of all the honey oak trim, it's all nice and white now. My khaki green living room is a pale gray, the boys rooms are beautiful, the banisters and hand rails are stained the color of the floor and the spindles are white. Whew!

I spent a night in the hospital last week, ambulance was called and everything! Long story short, I twisted my knee in my sleep and I fainted with my eyes open and scared D to death. They ran a bunch of tests and I'm fine. Just sucked.

How was the volleyball tourney, PBC? We have solo and ensemble this weekend, T is singing 5 different times so we'll be there all day. I'm hoping to get some good recordings of it, so if you're on fb, you'll hear em.

How are you faring, aussie?

Hi Dee and francis and all!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your knee mirage! Glad it was not too serious. Hope you are all better soon. Glad the painting is done too. We painted the inside of our house a few months back and relocated to my sisters while it was being done. Totally threw the baby's sleep schedule off lol. Was so happy when it was done!