Notices

Class of July 2013 Pt 14

Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow Snooz...was literally checking to see if NCG or Lulu had been around last night.

I agree...I'd hope to hear NCG was ok in July. And Lulu.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Luluuuuu .... Where for art thou xx

How's work going today Croisy baby ?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Wendy....super busy! Checked in here a couple of times, but I really am flat out!

Needed some time out so went for a walk over the Harbour bridge and back. Considering it was raining this morning, turned out to be a nice day. 63 steps up to the bridge, then a nice walk. Very windy though.

Took some photos on my phone. Walkway down the bottom on the left is where I usually walk if I don't do the bridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (94.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Looking back toward Circular Quay. You can just see the green of the botanical gardens behind the Opera House, which I've posted pics from before.
Attached Images
image.jpg (94.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Another one of the harbour.
Attached Images
image.jpg (89.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone is doing well.

I think I might need some help from the forum...

I have been feeling some anxiety for the past week, after I turned 1 year clean and sober.

The anxiety revolves around a few things :
- Some people in my AA meetings strongly suggesting that I take a cake at one of the meetings to celebrate my 1 year anniversary and share my story. I am afraid of doing that, because I did it 5 years ago and it was a big theatre production with lots of people and my previous legendary sponsor and then I relapsed a couple months later. I don't want my Sobriety to be about cakes and stories. I am told it is about the newcomer, yet I would like my Sobriety to be Quiet and Peaceful and fairly anonymous. Besides, my recovery journey has been quite non-traditional... After 13 detox visits, I finally decided to stay alive so I could run and finish my first Marathon. That was the only reason I had left to stay alive and I was willing to stay Sober long enough for that. And now I have run 5 marathons and 1 Ultra and I am writing a lot and I am really *loving* my Life. During the process I reconnected with AA because I wanted to stay Sober and I found it useful along the way, yet I feel guilty a lot because I am not following the conventional program like a lot of people. I feel at times that I don't belong because I am taking a different approach - i.e, self-sponsored, yet Spiritual and committed to Sobriety.

Any suggestions/experiences/encouragement to share ?

- I am feeling inclined to do the 12 steps once again so I could heal some things and move forward, however, I am told that I need to get a sponsor and I am really reluctant to do that for trust/authority reasons based on prior experiences. I have been journaling everyday and the process has been tremendous in my growth and I have processed so much through it and it has been truly transformative.
Has anyone done the steps without a sponsor or has anyone gone through other recovery methods to get through emotional pain and letting go ? Or has anyone stayed sober for a significant period of time without doing the steps ?

- Ultimately, Can't I just stay Sober and Be Happy for today? All this work seems pointless sometimes, although I *love* writing about my thoughts and feelings. I guess in way that is step work....

I would appreciate any experiences or suggestions.

Thank You !
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi writerunsober

I have absolutely no experience with AA at all, but I've seen a lot of successful approaches over the years within AA.

You may get some response from sympathetic AA members in the Secular 12 step forum as well?

You might have to grin and bear it with the cake tho

D
Old 07-16-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

writerunsober...your post reminds me exactly why I don't like counting days. It made me little angry you are feeling pressured to celebrate the way someone else thinks you should. You should not feel bad saying that to them.

After I struggled with the 90 day mark, I knew counting wasn't for me.

I have no real suggestions....people have stayed sober without doing the steps, but if it's closure you want, would therapy be an option to discuss things privately?

Have you tried other methods like Lifering etc?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi whiterunsober You celebrate the way you feel is best suited to you hun.

I've never counted days , it just wasn't my thing . It would have driven me crazy .

Crois OMG ! Thank you so much for those beautiful pics , i didn't realise you lived so close to the Opera House !

Did u take those pics with your phone or a camera? The pics are stunning !
Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Crois OMG ! Thank you so much for those beautiful pics , i didn't realise you lived so close to the Opera House !

Did u take those pics with your phone or a camera? The pics are stunning !
Just my phone Snooz...actually the first time I've used it for pics. It's just a mid range Samsung phone. Nothing spesh.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Fantastic quality ! Geez no wonder you like to walk Crois , look at your views , bloody breathtaking !!! Have you ever done the harbour bridge climb ?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Fantastic quality ! Geez no wonder you like to walk Crois , look at your views , bloody breathtaking !!! Have you ever done the harbour bridge climb ?
No, Snooz...funny, I was thinking that the other day. I'm thinking when I was drinking, it wouldn't have been on my list to do it hungover! I may do it in summer....too cold at the moment, even though you put some kind of Grammy overalls on.

Of course, in my drinking days it was a great view from cocktail bar on the 36th floor at the Shangri La hotel. Here's a pic of the view off the web.
Attached Images
image.jpg (56.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wowwwwww , I'm in awe ...stunning !
Old 07-16-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

WRS,
I have no idea how AA works. If you are resolved in your mind that you're done with drinking and sobriety is most important. I don't see any reason for the fan fair.
I think it's awesome that you run marathons. My marathon involves a long walk to the fridge.

Love the pictures, Crois.
Isn't Nemo out in that harbor?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
WRS,
I have no idea how AA works. If you are resolved in your mind that you're done with drinking and sobriety is most important. I don't see any reason for the fan fair.
I think it's awesome that you run marathons. My marathon involves a long walk to the fridge.

Love the pictures, Crois.
Isn't Nemo out in that harbor? <<<<
. ^^^^^^^BOB ! hahahaha :-) i adory you lol
Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

ha, well Bob, if you look at the first photo and followed the water out to the left, it takes you out to the open sea, which is where I took the photo of the whale when I went whale watching last July.

Over the hill straight ahead where all the houses are, is Bondi Beach too. Not my favourite beach, just a random useless fact for you.

Oh, and by the way, I found out one of the pubs close by does crocodile pizza...so geared for tourists down near the harbour!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Nemo
Attached Images
image.jpg (90.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ewww crocodile pizza
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

image.jpg