Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 34

Old 07-16-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

And the bananas!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Siesta- It seems to me like there is a good chance it isn't about the wedding at all. Perhaps it has something to do with you taking over their apartment when they move out instead? Whatever it is, actually talking about it will probably be easier than you imagine. Dreading things like that is always the worst.

Sparky- I noticed an increase in vertigo when I first quit. Nothing as severe as you seem to be describing, but I was never particularly prone to it to start with. It did clear up with a little time though.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Morning undies,

Quick howdy for today - checked my blood pressure and it's fine, so something else must be causing the increase in Vertigo. Have a bit of a summer cold right now, so maybe that doesn't help.

Gilmer, look up "The Hulk POV" on YouTube - after going on my first upside down coaster, I was reminded of getting an airplane spin as a child. Man, what a great feeling to recreate. BTW, it is located at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure in Orlando. You should look at photos of it as well - it looks intimidating, but is wicked fun.

Toots, I'm in Manitoba, Canada, eh? Just recently saw an old episode of Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown when he was in Boston. All he did was eat and drink in neighborhood restaurants and Irish pubs. Although everything looked fun and tasty, I don't think I could watch that episode again.

Otherwise, should be a fun day today - I have one of my main triggers for drinking (Men's League Golf - aka "My Wednesday Drunk") and I already have my plan. There are some nice NA beer chilling in the fridge, and I'm looking forward to seeing how well I can golf when sober. This will be my first time at league while sober.

There are some other difficult challenges coming up at the end of the week as well, and I am looking forward to meeting and beating them. Or at least sleeping through them. I am so tired.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Verrückt is a waterslide, which maybe even worse!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

In some ways that sounds easier to face mentally, because it's just you and the slide--nothing mechanical to derail or come unfastened (unless the initial lift drops you from a height higher than Niagara Falls...)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Gilmer congrats on 8 months!

Toots great suggestion! My dad was telling me the same thing.

Checkin in and off to work
Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Well, I've had some stuff running around in my head. I almost posted here about it, but it turned into a long post and I thought it would be good to share with the whole community. But as my trusted undies, I wanted to share it with you all as well: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...new-level.html
Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I saw and commented! Congratulations, DG! You are an inspiration!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months Gilmer! Woo hoo!!

And congratulations to DG, coming up on one year entirely clean and sober! Thanks for the link to your honest, thoughtful, and inspiring post.

Another rainy, overcast day here. The weather is supposed to turn around tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out a day trip for the boys and me. In the mean time, the icky weather offers a good opportunity to work on my job search.

Have a good one, undies!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Good luck on the job hunt gleefan.

Heck, even just to go to Burger King to get out of the house and let the kids play is usually an easy-to-do, no-effort trip.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Today has been the kind of day where I can say that setting realistic expectations led to peace and serenity and joy.

It's an overcast day, the kids are arguing, I'm doing laundry (!) and filling out online job applications. This kind of tedious afternoon would always have been rewarded with drinks - and after I quit drinking an outrageous amount of sweets. In the absence of the reward, I'd feel either a hollow emptiness or irritable boredom.

Instead, lately I've been embracing the idea of acceptance. I realize that people and situations don't make me feel hollow or irritable; my unmet expectations make me feel that way. It's not reasonable to expect "ecstatic" when I'm doing indoor chores all day with the kiddoes. It's not particularly reasonable to expect "relaxing", either, but it is (somewhat) reasonable to expect "respectful." That's enough! Content.

Hmm, so wow, THIS is what contentment feels like? I don't know that I've ever experienced feeling content before - lol! Ms. All-or-Nothing over here has sought highs and thrills, peaks and higher peaks. The exciting moments are great, but I'm learning that they are just that, moments. They surge then contract. Chasing the next surge means I'm missing out on the other moments, during the contracture, large chunks of life, that have their own inherent value. So, as I get ready to take on the task of preparing a plain old weeknight dinner, I don't feel like I'm missing out on something more interesting; instead I am content in the knowledge that I'm exactly where my life has led me to be.

Life has infinite possibilities, especially in sobriety, now that we aren't too hung over to recognize them. I haven't given up on my growth, dreams, or ideas, or the hope that I'll see them through. I don't have a clear picture of what that will be at the moment, and in the mean time, I accept where I am now.

Have a good night undies!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I realize that people and situations don't make me feel hollow or irritable; my unmet expectations make me feel that way.
Truer words were never spoken, GF!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 Gilmer!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Way to Go DG! You are an inspiration (though if I have anything to do with it, you won't catch me on the alcohol anniversary! )
Old 07-16-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 months Gilmer!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations DG and Gilmer

Best wishes on the job hunt Gleefan

D
Old 07-16-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Gilmer, big time congrats on the two-thirds of a year sober! You rock, rockabliiy!!

Glee, I loved your post and example of keeping acceptance in line with realistic expectations. Not an easy task for we from the all or nothing school of alcoholic conditioning. Thanks!

DG, again, thank you for that ever so honest and heartfelt post. Haha, the new sexy includes rigorous honesty and some vulnerability. You are a recovery role model, like it or not. Lucky me to be sharing this journey. Thanks! For sure, the sky is your limit!

Gots to boggie on for now. Catch you all tomorrow.

Carlos xx
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Sparky, when I stopped, my blood pressure went down and I was dizzy at first. It's still 110/19 and I'm thrilled because everyone in my family has high blood pressure. I also remember how very very tired I was and angry, angry like hell. Then the sugar cravings hit, and they haven't really left after 18 months so I guess I should have some blood tests done.

We tend to forget what a big change stopping drinking is. It's quite amazing. It changes things everywhere, body, mind, brain, heart...But it eases a lot after 6 months and then it only gets better.

GF, it's nice to read about your serenity.

Gilmer, you're so full of life and discovery. I find it very cute and lively and you do well to leave studying aside until your father is more settled.

I wonder how Grace is doing? Toots? any words?

I guess it's my cue to go on the over 1 year thread then.

Bonsoir,

Dottie
Old 07-16-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dottie! I'm waiting on the results of a brain CT scan that was done a week ago. Apparently the hospital forgot to fax them to the doctor, so the doctor is going to nag tomorrow. If I find out that it's nothing serious, I'll go back to school pronto.

Congratulations to you on 18 months!