Notices

Class of June 2014 Part 3

Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ohhhh gummies, how I love gummies cuten! So excited for u, I will b praying the second interview goes hariboily! Lol
Old 06-26-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi all-day 13 almost done. I started some therapy 1:1 today with a new therapist. I am looking forward to addressing some of my stuff head on.
Ak- I've read Parched. Great book!!!! I've also read Lit, Mary Karr, someone else quoted that book too. I am a lover of the drinking memoir genre if there is such a thing.

Went running Saturday only to sit on my couch every night since....this weekend I hope to pick up the slack again. I am feeling stir crazy and I don't want it to fester and tempt me to drink.

Sorry for those that have slipped, but get back up on the horse. I've done it countless times, you can too.

Way to go Scotty on your longest stint in 2 years. Bravo and keep it up!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Kitty - thanks, good to hear about Parched! I've been flying through some memoirs/books too, but several of mine are mom-centered:

Unwasted (reading currently) - Sacha Scoblic
Drinking: A Love Story - Caroline Knapp
Dry - Augusten Burroughs
Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore
Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife
Drunk Mom - Jowita Bydlowska
Ice and a Slice - Della Galton
Wishful Drinking - Carrie Fisher
Guts - Kristen Johnston

A Million Little Pieces - James Frey
My Friend Leonard - James Frey

I've been thinking about moving on to books that maybe speak even more to recovery and seeking serenity. The above have been good reminders of why I don't want to do what I've done anymore, though!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Goodnight June-ers! Can't wait to tackle Friday.
(Then the rest of the weekend...!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (69.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-26-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 6 in the bag. I've resisted the urges to drink, but those urges have definitely been there. I feel good about making it through this weekend without drinking too! Been a while since I felt that way...
Old 06-26-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Great job illuminate! Keep on truckin.
Ak, I've read a lot do those too, even mommy doesn't drink here, even though I'm not a mom (yet- someday I hope frankly that one was not my favorite, I didn't feel like she really reflected or shared any in-depth insight about her journey. My fave is Carolyn Knapp's masterpiece. Dry is great too, I love Augusten Burroughs. I also enjoyed Carrie Fischer and Kirsten Johnson's books.....so many good books, such little time although we have much more time now without drinking, don't we?!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I can also add that I am a self-help book fan, love to read them and get insight on people and relationships....have read too many to mention or that I would even want to mention I get a good chuckle out of my amazon purchase list and my library checkout history...I should be one evolved human being right now ha.
One of the best that really resonated w me is Codependent No More, Melody Beatty I believe. It's fairly old but I found it very helpful to me in my painful divorce and other relationships with my parents. Highly recommended to anyone needing help in relationships, especially when they start to become unhealthy.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Days going well so far, made it to a lunchtime meeting which was great.

While we talking about books I've been getting into Richard Rohr's "the art of letting go" which I'm finding helpful.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Kittycat3--I too love to read self-help books! Some people like to read gossip magazines, i have a penchant for self-help books. There have been so many times I wanted to make a brown paper bag cover for one of those types of books so no one else can see what I'm reading...

I have that Melody Beattie book in my "read this summer" stack and I'm really looking forward to it. Glad to know you liked it.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone I'm new here even though I've been lurking for a while

Day 13 for me and feeling better than I have in a long time.

Hope you all have a great sober day!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good night and good morning Juners! Just checking in. Still holding strong day 9. Still gotta work on a plan for the weekend but not too worried. Stay sober all.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Morning all.So had to hand my resignation in this morning with no other job to go to.Not the end of the world as my job was getting me down.They say you have to change things for the good of your sobriety,so here's a massive start!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone, Its the big day 5 for me, the weekend is always my worst time, been dreading it all week. So so so want to come on here monday on day 8. Good morning to you all, enjoy yr sober, positive day
Old 06-27-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good morning, Everyone!

Three weeks of not drinking behind me, and my fourth sober weekend coming up. SR has been a great help.

I'm happy for other people's successes and determination.

Wishing everyone a tolerable Friday and a very nice weekend.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Django View Post
Morning all.So had to hand my resignation in this morning with no other job to go to.Not the end of the world as my job was getting me down.They say you have to change things for the good of your sobriety,so here's a massive start!

Hi Django, i think i need a change of jobs as well. Its not the whole problem but when your battling the drinking demons and spending 40 hrs plus a week in a jojb your not happy with, it just adds to the issue. Best of luck buddy
Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone wanted to stop and check in. I'm on day 27 so 4 weeks tomorrow then a month right around the corner behind that. I've been sober about 6.5 of the past 8 months going back to the beginning of last November. I have to say it does get easier to everyone working to get through those first few weeks. The constant hourly obsession does go away as long as you let it. I have a couple cravings a day but they are manageable and I feel very content at this point.

With that said though my past times back to drinking have been when I quit working towards sobriety. For me so far I'm either actively working towards maintaining sobriety or I'm moving away from it. Part of my system is getting up before everyone else in the house and having about 35-40 minutes of quiet time just me and the cats/dog. They all eat and go out then I spend a little time just praying and reflecting. It's an important time of day to me and one that's very important to me staying sober I feel.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great day guys - well check in my tomorrow
Old 06-27-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

My 3rd weekend being sober coming up - I have been feeling tired, but otherwise am so proud I am doing this! And Kiya you are right - thankfully the hourly obsession has eased up a lot. That was not fun!

Thank-you for all the book recommendations everyone! I love to read & hear about what others are reading. A book I am reading right now that is really helping me understand how addiction ends up taking over your life is The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process & Compulsive Behavior by Craig Nakken. The title sucks but the book is great.

Have a great Friday!
Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taffy1 View Post
Hi Django, i think i need a change of jobs as well. Its not the whole problem but when your battling the drinking demons and spending 40 hrs plus a week in a jojb your not happy with, it just adds to the issue. Best of luck buddy
Cheers mate.Exactly right mate sometimes what seems the stupid thing to do is the best thing in the end,just have to be patient and not panic :-)
Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Day 7, weekend on the way...I actually have less of a desire to drink this weekend than I did most other weekends recently. I feel good about having built up 7 days of sobriety now, and the bigger that number gets, the better I feel about it. Plus it's been a really tiring week, and I do NOOOOOT want to get hungover and ruin a chance to get a solid and incredibly refreshing couple of nights of sleep. There are few feelings I love more than waking up on Saturday or Sunday morning after a long night of sleep, and waking up with no hangover at all