Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 12

Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

wahoo! the job I had applied for earlier and didn't get, is back open!! HA! new they would come begging! thankfully hubby saw it as it closed today, phew
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

That's great Tazz-- maybe a little motivation to keep things steady just when you need it?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No worries Courage!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey all, just stopping in, haven't been on much lately. Just busier with work, still hating the meds, cranky in general which is the opposite of what these should do. Giving them another month and then probably done with them.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hi all

Courage, how are you? 2.5 hour lunch meetings don't sound fun at all. Hopefully it was productive . How has the rest of the week been?

Taz, does this mean you can apply for the job again?

RAL, how are you and your beautiful weather? And Sam? Have you gotten the kitten?!

Gonzo, good to hear from you. You've been far more patient than I would have been on this medication...

Hiya Dee! What's the weather like down there?

Hi Marria, Alice, Napster!

The hives are about gone, it's taking a little longer maybe because of the heat, if I had to guess... I still go jogging outside so, the ones on the backs of my knees and thighs are the lingerers... I suspect mango, but honestly, it is a guess. I always eat mango but that is the only thing I can think of that would have started this. A little busy at work, because we were down a person and that person isn't up and running, and between vacations and yada yada.... Still doing better than when I was drinking, but I'm a little busy.

Any way! Everyone have a great day!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all, checking in. It was a dinner meeting and I'm in recovery still LOL. Not really. Just incredibly boring. I can tell you every drink that everyone else had, to a drop.

I got nothing to report -- just trying to establish a routine, get a little something accomplished every day. Monday was a loss, Tuesday pretty good, today so-so.

Good vibrations going out from me to all, tho. I really like the summer time. It's such a great excuse!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes it does Tam, and I did, the great part is that I do not have to take the POST test again as I already passed it, I have no idea how long this will take. Since they just interviewed a bunch of people for this job it would be nice if they picked from the pool of rejects instead of going through the testing again,,, I have learned that patients will be my word for awhile
Old 06-26-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi everyone! Tazzle, I hope they don't go through a whole new pool -- are you going to inquire if you can just re-activate your old application rather than resubmit completely?

No news. Every day I just am trying to do one or two things that keep the mental wolves at bay. One thing I do every morning is read a more-or-less randomly selected poem. This morning was "To A Skylark" which I'm sure I've tried to read before, but I could never get past the ridiculous opener "bird thou never wert" LOL. Anyway it had these lines which seemed relevant:

We look before and after,
And pine for what is not:
...and (to the skylark)
Teach me half the gladness
That thy brain must know...
I don't have a skylark's blithe spirit, but no complaints tonight. No wolves.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Never wert? I love that! Lol How are you doing there courage? I like your poem reading, how nice. Any more thought into working the steps? Jut curious, you had mentioned that before.

I don't have any meaningful morning rituals and I hear people (especially in meetings) talk about their morning routine and I think... I walk to the coffee maker with one eye open and sit and drink coffee with my cat who is planted on a stool at the breakfast bar..... Lol

Fingers crossed Taz, that they just go with the group they have now. You have your pics from your trip?

RAL, how are you?

Hives again. Sigh. I ran the other night and had to start walking because swallowing became difficult because they are on the back of my tongue and lips.. Another steroid shot and steroid pills. I follow up with my GP today. I hope the recommendation isn't an allergist... It's expensive and my insurance will cover the visit but not the tests which doesn't make sense. Seems to me it would be cheaper to find out what I should be avoiding rather than continuing to pay for steroid shots but who am I? Other than that, everything is pretty good.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all, evening here and I'm checking in.

Tam, sorry to hear about the hives, again. I wonder if it's topical rather than something you ate? When I moved to New York I started getting allergic hives every June and they did a full allergic workup -- I'm allergic to pretty much all grasses, and on some occasions when I've had direct contact with grass I've gotten hives. It could also be sunlight or even exercise.

RAL and Taz, pictures please -- kittens and camping!

I'm fine. As for AA, I'm as ambivalent about it as ever. I go to about 3 meetings a week and have taken on a new service commitment which starts next Monday. But the things that are helping me most don't seem to have a lot to do with the program, and the program seems to have less and less to do with me. I'm not quitting meetings, especially until I get a handle on all this unstructured time, but I don't want to take on more right now. I'm just concentrating on staying out of depression (the past) and anxiety (the future), and getting some work done.

As for my morning routine, I was a morning drinker, remember? It now takes about 2.5 hours of meditation, reading, and SR to accomplish to a lesser degree what a couple-few shots of gin used to do for me to start my day.

Hugs to all
Old 06-28-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have a lot of time to myself at the moment and am trying to get some structure and routine into my days..... Not easy when I dislike routine! Am feeling better with 2+ weeks on antid's so that is a big, big relief. I know that when I was drinking it covered up a lot of my down feelings and anxiety. And it was also company anytime I felt lonely.... So now without drink I need new strategies to build a happier life....I'm accepting for probably the first time ever that I am inclined to get depressed and that can be ok once I look at getting any help and support I need when it hits me. I'm trying to separate the condition from me as a person so I can deal with it more objectively... It helps to write it down.. I am meeting a friend later on for dinner and I'm happy to see my children enjoying summer out and about with their friends... I hope you are all having a good weekend xxxx
Old 06-28-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hello,just quick check in .Not posted for a while. Nothing sinister,just had a really busy week.Will check in tomorrow when more time and reply to everyone.xx
Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi folks, checking in for the evening. I've had a quiet day. It's funny -- I have this very quiet "life of the mind" kind of life, and all the while part of my head is always screaming at me that nothing bad has happened in a long time and I'm overdue so I'd better f*** something up! Days like this I feel like I have to be really careful. I'm a poster child for loss of self-confidence.

Marria, it's great to hear from you. I totally identify with your post. I said to my former sponsor just yesterday, quitting drinking didn't so much end my problems as reveal them. My anxiety is way up, though the depression is much better. I like what you said about being objective and developing new strategies. When the old things stop working, we just have to change, right? So we do.

Ready, looking forward to a good long post from you!

Tam, I hope you're better. Hives can be pretty serious if they cause breathing problems!

Dee, what's going on with the move?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

just waiting for a suitable place to open up Courage

I hope you'll find that things going well won't feel so weird eventually too - I gave up my self saboteur badge a long time ago

D.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Howdy all!

Courage and Marria, there have been more than a couple meetings with my home group where they have said that alcohol is just a symptom and I totally agree. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, it is like something that lives with me... But that feeling is fading. Not sure if that makes sense. Marria, glad to hear you're feeling better. Courage I always love to read your posts.

Went to the doc for my follow up and was told I had to see an allergist, so that will be July 29. At the moment I am on steroids, Benadryl, Zyrtec and Prilosec and the bad patient that I am, I hate it. Today was St. Pete Pride but I didn't feel well enough to go.. And it is 95 degrees out!

Finished watching Breaking Bad and I am sad... Now I'm on to House of Cards.

Everyone have a good evening!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
p***enger

Tam, except for the Prilosec, this sounds like what they did for me when I had hives --
Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
I am on steroids, Benadryl, Zyrtec and Prilosec and the bad patient that I am, I hate it.
The benadryl never did any good at all, but the corticosteroids got the reaction under control and now I just take a Zyrtec every day when grass is in season. Zyrtec are ridiculously expensive!!! Prednisone makes me feel like superman -- competent and powerful and energetic. But obviously there are a lot of seriously negative side effects over the long term. Sigh. Just my luck.

Ready, where's that promised weekend post? Missing you & thinking of you.

Today gets an overall check+ score. I painted my toenails, walk/ran uphill on the treadmill listening to Chaucer for a mile, lounged on my roof talking to former sponsor, cleaned & ran a couple of errands, and did a couple of hours of work. A xanax-free day. I'm working on a paper with a former student of mine -- she has lupus, and no one expected her to live long enough to get a PhD, but it looks like she will! She's a lovely person -- from when she was in middle school until a few years ago she had a very fragile life. It's been so wonderful to see her health improve with new medications and her horizons open up. It's one of the only things I'm happy about in my career, because I was able to help her some, early on.

Oh, & today I made bus reservations to go visit my son upstate next week & see his apartment, his dog, and his girlfriend. I'll try to get him to take some pictures of his hippy-dippy lifestyle that don't break anyone's anonymity, except maybe the dog's.

That's all for now -- xxoo
Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Ooh breaking the dog's anonymity! I love it! Sounds like a good day, courage. Well except for Chaucer while exercising. Lol I'm very pedestrian and listened to the Cure and Muse.

Trying to get sleepy. We went for a run at sunset but I usually feel energized after and right now is no exception.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Morning all

Sorry not to have checked in for ages. I had quite a busy week last week. Sam had his practice week in big school so it was strange not having to rush back for nursery pick up. I have been doing some casual work too which has kept me busy,I enjoy and has given me money to start buying my new kitchen stuff. I'm having a new colour scheme in kitchen and bathroom. On Saturday I threw out all the bathroom bits and pieces and started from scratch which has cheered me up

I got an unexpected tax rebate last week of just under £1000 . I was sooooo tempted to put a deposit down on a holiday but knew it wasn't the right thing to do as I had some bills to catch up on and still much to do to the house. So I spent lots on household items instead. My only concession to a holidayish treat was a spa day which I'm off to on Friday. We live in such a beautiful place with beaches on the doorstep and pretty decent weather forthe UK as we are on the gulfstream we don't really need to go abroad in summer. On SAturday I took Sam to the beach and there was just us and 1 other family there further down the beach.It was peaceful fun and safe. I just thought if we went abroad it would be packed full of English tourists fighting over sunbeds, drinking lager and wearing football shirts. No thankyou

Anyway long may the good weather continue. It certainly lifts the spirits doesn't it

How is it where you are courage? I've been to NY in the summer and it was sweltering Hoping it's not too uncomfortable for you or you at least have good AC good on you for getting through the dinner the other night.You know I'd still feel pretty uncomfortable at such an event too.Sounds like you had a good, positive and productive day yesterday which is fantastic

Tam-sorry to hear your hives are back.You're having a rough time of it. Do they know what's causing it? Hope the allergist will sort it out . I'm impressed you're out running despite feeling ill. you must be pretty healthy with all the exercise you do so hopefully that will stand you in good stead for a quick recovery.

Marria-good to hear from you. Did you have blood tests? I know when I felt like that it was perimenopause .Once I started on HRT and my oestrogen levels were up again my depression and anxiety both lifted considerably. I'm glad you're feeling better for taking antids-it should improve some more as they hit your system. How are your children? It must be hard with teenagers-I hope they are behaving themselves for you.

ALice-hope you are well

Dee-how are you feeling? Is it cold and wintery where you are now? I hope you find a suitable place to live soon.

Tazzle- sorry to take so long to respond to you. I' m glad you had a good holiday.It sounds a beautiful place. Sorry to hear you drank though. You have disappointed us,please don't think that Don't ever be afraid to come here or worry what we will say. We do worry about you though and I hope you have managed to stop drinking again.Hope you check in and let us know how you're doing.

Gonzo,Fallow & Napster -hope you are all ok .The men are keeping a low profile
Happy sober Monday all
Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Tam- thanks for asking about the kitten .We haven't got her yet but in another 2 weeks. We're so excited
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Happy Monday all! Busy weekend working around the house, hubby left yesterday for 2 weeks working at the farm getting hay done, which is a bummer, I need to not to be negative and nasty when I talk to him on the phone, regarding SS and his wife, ( he is staying with them for awhile). I realized how I sounded after I talked to him this am, attitude adjustment is needed in my case. This week will be crazy busy with the local 4th of July rodeo. My SAR team works security and cook shack, (I am a master hamburger flipper ) its a lot of fun and the team is a blast to work with, really looking forward to it.
As far as my drinking urges, they are not any stronger than they were before vacation. I have a huge jug of sun tea made and I have seemed to have developed an addiction to those frozen Kool-Aid pops. I appreciate everyone's concern, and I have no intention of letting you or myself down. Any way I need to get ready for work so will catch up with everyone later