Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 31

Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Honestly, Dee?

I dream of a tropical island (not too tropical, but nicely always warm) where alcohol doesn't exist in our lives. I dream of farming and foraging food and forging relationships and we are so busy dreaming up recipes for our foods and how to market them that alcohol really doesn't have a place and it's not something ever considered.

Sober me has an awesome farm going with a restaurant on premise with the amazing things me and the team can cook and share with the community. Drunk me is in Chicago really wondering how it's so important to get wasted every day to try to numb out my stresses and losses.

That's the truth, Dee.
Melina, you are so incredible precious. This dream is beautiful! In it I hear purpose, honesty, authenticity, the value of hard work, and genuine fellowship. This is such insight into your heart!
Don't let the alcohol convince you that you are anything other than this, or that you deserve anything less. Alcohol lies. Your addiction lies. Freedom is available, and I am praying that you find the strength to grasp it. I remember feeling like you do, and it sucks. It's not easy to get sober, but I promise you'll NEVER regret it.

And until then, it's all love for you from me.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by BLKDIESEL View Post
Thanks for the sentiment Dee, I've been dealing with the grieving process quite well until yesterday. I had a lapse in judgement and I think it was just to numb out for a bit on my first Father's Day without my Dad. Once I understood the trigger earlier today I'm able to put it in its perspective and get back on track...which I am now...No slippery slope here, I'm too mentally strong to go backwards on this journey. I just wanted to share it with you guys and be open and honest as that is what I cherish that we do here.
BLK, I'm sure Sunday was really difficult for you. No regrets about the beer! The more important thing is what you learned from the experience. The MOST important thing is that you were open and honest about it. We are as sick as our secrets, and the fact that you shared about it speaks volumes for your sobriety! Saying a prayer for you!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Melina

Soooo good to hear from you! I want to respond to some of the stuff you said but don't have time right now...

I do hope that you continue to share! I've missed your posts!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
BLK, I became very serious about my faith when I was 15. There were some trials through the years, but I never backed away. God has been a huge part of my life since that point - I've never felt alone, even when people weren't there. I have a passion for scripture and study the Word regularly. I've read the Bible cover-to-cover numerous times, have had some seminary training, have attended and taught hundreds (maybe thousands) of studies and classes, have done a little writing in that area, worked as a worship leader/director of music in a church for 6 years, and still preach and lead worship sometimes.

This was such a conundrum for me when I was lost in my addiction, because my faith wasn't failing. I was still close to God, and I couldn't figure out what my problem was. I knew I needed to stop, I just couldn't seem to actually do it. I'd try, and fail, and be guilt-ridden and depressed.

I remember once a couple years ago we were travelling over Easter, and I wanted to visit a church on Easter morning. We went to one in Alabama, and it was incredible. During that service, I prayed like crazy about my alcoholism, and I feel God revealed something to me. I saw myself being carried out of a war zone by Him. I was weak and hurt, and there was wreckage and disaster around me, but He was carrying me out as the dust settled around me. I felt Him say to me in that moment that He WOULD save me. He WOULD carry me out of this. It wouldn't be my doing, and there would be some devastation around me, but He wasn't going to let me die in this.

And He did save me. Now I'm doing what I need to do to STAY saved. AA is my lifeline, and I am thoroughly convinced that He brought it into my life. So I'm attending meetings regularly, reading, praying, working the steps, and reaching out to other alcoholics with the hope I've been given.

Our group meets in a church, and this fall they're changing their Sunday night recovery service a bit. I'm hoping to become more regularly involved in leading that, in both music and preaching, when they do.

Aren't you glad you asked? Ha ha! That was yet another book from me.
You know "I" don't mind you articulating yourself lol, coming from someone who get a little "longwinded" in my posts I thank you for being open and forthcoming about your spiritual journey thus far. I'm making incremental steps daily with my faith, I've always being a believer but haven't always congregated in a church setting. My spiritual re-awakening is born out of the believe that God has a much greater plan for me than I'm currently exhibiting in my life and my challenge with alcohol has been one of the things that I'm currently giving up to him as I prepare myself for this higher elevation of life.

PBC...this is a mantra that my pastor preaches that resonates with me deeply and I always look to it when things getting a little fuzzy, challenging and frustrating on my journey. I will share it with you all:

"The challenge most of us will have is to get rid of the old life “style” of the past year(s). We will have to put off the old man and put on the new man until we become one with who we are now. That process takes a while and can only be accomplished by being renewed in the spirit of our minds."

I'm glad I asked you further about your faith. If you don't mind I will be asking for some insight as far as my journey as we continue here. Is that a problem with you? I know some folks are real touchy and private about their spiritual affiliations so I don't want to overstep any boundaries in this forum we share together.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

To add to what I just wrote, here are some things that I love about AA.

I quit drinking many times ... but I could never STAY sober for long. I'd get a little sobriety under my belt and the lies would start: "See? I'm not an alcoholic like some alcoholics. I'm different. I can drink moderately now. I'm just going to have a little tonight, then tomorrow get back on the sobriety bandwagon. It was a hard day/good day/perfect-day-so-I'm-strong-at-the-moment-and-can-do-this [insert pretty much anything here]." And then I'd drink, and I'd be off and running again.

AA keeps my head in the game. Listening to the stories of those around me reminds me of why I quit. It reminds me that I have a disease. It reminds me that alcohol doesn't make my life better ... it makes it worse. It informs me of the nature of the beast and calls out the lies in my head for what they are. It keeps me accountable. It shows me that sobriety is absolutely possible long-term, even after years of alcoholism. It reinforces that living sober is a GOOD thing, and "living" drunk isn't.

And ... it teaches me how to LIVE sober. This is huge. Of the 12 steps, only the first one actually mentions alcohol. The rest are all about learning a better way to live, to cope, to be. Honestly, everyone could benefit greatly from the steps, addict or not!

It's a program about NOT DRINKING, and about living WELL - sober and free and balanced and serene. That's pretty powerful! It's exactly what I need.
I agree with you totally. I'm familiar with the 12 steps and they are principles for better living as far as I'm concerned and not just to be applied to alcohol. With that said, I will revisit them later today or tomorrow to re-familiarize myself with the principles. I really thank you for your input and conversation today PBC it has really been great and insightful.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Just a quick hello from me today.

Thought I would check in and let you know that after sharing yesterday I woke up this morning feeling a lot better although I didn't slept great because of the heat. We're not equipped to deal with weather in the high 70s in Scotland!

A few minutes after I woke up the doorbell went and there was a courier who, before I knew what was happening, unceremoniously handed over my next door neighbour's wine delivery to me for 'safekeeping'. Two massive boxes of wine from the Virgin Wine club are still sitting there in the hall. It remains untouched and will hopefully be collected this evening. Sometimes there is nothing else for it but to laugh!!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Wow! Great posts! I've been very busy and not keeping up with the thread until now.

Diesel, my condolences for your fathers passing. Thank you for sharing and also for the warnings of a possible relapse. My parents are still alive, I've never felt such a close loss, closest relatives I've lost have been grandparents so far.

Melina, sounds like you've met a nice guy whom you like. Perhaps something is about to happen? Perhaps you won't need the drink anymore?

Nightswimming, I've had the anxiety and depression diagnosis since 21 years of age. Been medicating since then but suffered relapses and needed to increase dosage a few times. In my case I need to watch out for both my alcoholism and my affective disorder, neither will be cured, only suppressed. But dealing with my problems is easier sober and in fact active alcoholism will make anxiety and depression worse and harder to treat. Sobering up was tough for me as I no longer numbed my mental pain and the autumn was awful. Now 9 months sober I feel abit better and the summer weather is helping. What I am trying to say is I know what it's like.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Melina, you are so incredible precious. This dream is beautiful! In it I hear purpose, honesty, authenticity, the value of hard work, and genuine fellowship. This is such insight into your heart!
Don't let the alcohol convince you that you are anything other than this, or that you deserve anything less. Alcohol lies. Your addiction lies. Freedom is available, and I am praying that you find the strength to grasp it. I remember feeling like you do, and it sucks. It's not easy to get sober, but I promise you'll NEVER regret it.

And until then, it's all love for you from me.
This made me cry, PBC! I already had tears in my eyes from what you wrote about being carried out of a war zone. That's exactly what I feel my internal life and struggles are from the effects of alcohol, a war zone. Thank you for your kind words.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for acknowledging me when I pop in. Feels really good that I have you all to touch base with.

And, I wanted to let you know that I am going to an AA meeting tonight. Haven't been since last year. I'm really excited. I feel like you feel after a really hard day or long road trip and you know you'll be home soon and you get to shower, make a sandwich and eat it with clean wet hair in your softest jammies.

I'm pouring the leftover wine and Jameson out from last night after I finish posting.

I'm ready to step out of the war zone, I'm exhausted.

Day 1 dedicated to my Septies.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by workoholic View Post

Melina, sounds like you've met a nice guy whom you like. Perhaps something is about to happen? Perhaps you won't need the drink anymore?
Work, you are so silly! If all it took was having a man for me to not drink, I would've snatched you up as soon as you posted that pic of yourself a long time ago! Handsome!!

Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Melina

Thank you Dee for the insight and sharing more of your story. This has really helped me alot this morning and I would like to know what tools and resources you used through your early stages of your sobriety. Did you go to AA, recovery facility, books, sites, medicine etc. If you could speak on that I'm sure it will give more insight to myself and others like Melina who need to get through the rough early period. Thanx
I was ready to quit BLK. If I didn't I would be dead soon enough.

I didn't use any programme, but I used the heck out of SR

Whenever I felt vulnerable scared angry and I wanted to drink I came here and asked for help.

Sometimes I didn't even ask for help, I just read....

most times I ended up helping others and gradually I guess the advice that came so easily to me and I gave so freely to others sunk in

I also had a little counselling help with my self esteem and family of origin issues, and the one book I read that made sense to me was Allen Carrs book.

The big lesson I came away with there, was to ask myself what I thought drinking would do for me, whether that expectation was reasonable, and whether there were healthier more effective ways I could use to deal with the situation.

I've always found another way ever since

D
Old 06-18-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

BLK, don't be down about drinking on Father's Day. The story reminded me of the day my mom died. She was in a coma from advanced cancer....the doctor said she would be leaving us very soon. I got a call from my sister while I was at work, saying I better get there quick if I wanted to say good-bye. I made it there, and said my goodbyes. I told her I loved her and that everyone here would be sad, but that we'd be all right. It was ok to go.

And within 5 minutes of me getting there, she died after hearing me say my peace. It felt like she was waiting for me before she left. She may have been in a coma, but I felt she heard me.

The death of my parent was in the top three most difficult experiences of my life. That day, the home health care aids came to take her body away. I just lost it. A beer with my dad really helped that afternoon.

Not recommended for alcoholics, and yeah, we need to learn to live without alcohol.....but I understand the pain.

And as the saying goes - it gets better. In my mind, that day is etched in my memory as a very spiritual experience.

Prayers for you BLK.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Melina

I was ready to quit BLK. If I didn't I would be dead soon enough.

I didn't use any programme, but I used the heck out of SR

Whenever I felt vulnerable scared angry and I wanted to drink I came here and asked for help.

Sometimes I didn't even ask for help, I just read....

most times I ended up helping others and gradually I guess the advice that came so easily to me and I gave so freely to others sunk in

I also had a little counselling help with my self esteem and family of origin issues, and the one book I read that made sense to me was Allen Carrs book.

The big lesson I came away with there, was to ask myself what I thought drinking would do for me, whether that expectation was reasonable, and whether there were healthier more effective ways I could use to deal with the situation.

I've always found another way ever since

D
Thanx for the response Dee, and I've always heard it said that when you are going through any kind of transformation its best to help other. In helping them once, the information and principles in turn help you twofold.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
BLK, don't be down about drinking on Father's Day. The story reminded me of the day my mom died. She was in a coma from advanced cancer....the doctor said she would be leaving us very soon. I got a call from my sister while I was at work, saying I better get there quick if I wanted to say good-bye. I made it there, and said my goodbyes. I told her I loved her and that everyone here would be sad, but that we'd be all right. It was ok to go.

And within 5 minutes of me getting there, she died after hearing me say my peace. It felt like she was waiting for me before she left. She may have been in a coma, but I felt she heard me.

The death of my parent was in the top three most difficult experiences of my life. That day, the home health care aids came to take her body away. I just lost it. A beer with my dad really helped that afternoon.

Not recommended for alcoholics, and yeah, we need to learn to live without alcohol.....but I understand the pain.

And as the saying goes - it gets better. In my mind, that day is etched in my memory as a very spiritual experience.

Prayers for you BLK.
Thank you very much LG.....thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by workoholic View Post

Nightswimming, I've had the anxiety and depression diagnosis since 21 years of age. Been medicating since then but suffered relapses and needed to increase dosage a few times. In my case I need to watch out for both my alcoholism and my affective disorder, neither will be cured, only suppressed. But dealing with my problems is easier sober and in fact active alcoholism will make anxiety and depression worse and harder to treat. Sobering up was tough for me as I no longer numbed my mental pain and the autumn was awful. Now 9 months sober I feel abit better and the summer weather is helping. What I am trying to say is I know what it's like.
Thanks Workaholic, it's good when someone understands a bit of what's going on inside your head. It's one of the hardest things explaining to people who haven't had depression or anxiety what it's like. I have an assessment today and will hopefully get some more counselling fingers crossed.

How are things with you?
Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
But yeah, sometimes I had to learn to sit with my uncomfortableness.
This has HANDS DOWN been the most important (and at times most difficult) lesson/skill that I have had to learn in recovery!

Before I got sober I only existed on the extreme ends of the emotional spectrum: wallowing and numbing. I was never okay with sitting with my feelings.

I had to do it last night after a sad, regretful, uncomfortable feeling arose after I saw pictures from an estranged best friend's bachelorette party for a wedding I wasn't invited to.

I loved her dearly, but ended up completely sabotaging the relationship. It was one of the darkest times of my life, and I directed a lot of anger and resentment at her and it happened in a really ugly way.

7 years later, we have let bygones be bygones and have no beef, but I get the feeling that she had no interest in rekindling our friendship or "picking up where we left off" so to speak.

She has blossomed into the woman that I know she has always wanted to be, and seeing her pictures last night, remembering conversations we had about being in each other's weddings made me really regretful that I haven't been a part of her growth and joy; I did not participate in it, and as a direct result of my actions, I was not welcome to celebrate it.

Eventually I will have to make an amends to her, but I am nowhere near ready for that (the 9th step). I am just rounding out step 3!!

Thinking of her brings up feelings of joy and regret and nostalgia and shame and longing all at the same time, and I cannot act on these feelings in any way but to accept them and SIT with them.

I can do things like go to meetings and share about what I'm feeling, and these two things are CRUCIAL to helping me stay out of my own head.

By going to a meeting last night and confiding in a sober friend and getting it out of my brain, I thwarted the awful cycle of turning it over and over in my head to the point that it morphed into this monster of regret and shame and self-blame.

For me, running away from or wallowing in my feelings take me down a dangerous road that will almost certainly lead to me taking a drink or using a drug.

Bottom line: Sobriety has taught me that feelings are not good or bad, just a sign of something going on within me that might require some attention or observation.

In terms of my friend, yes, I did some things I'm not proud of and we may never truly be friends again. I don't know the future, and it does not behoove me to try to predict it. What I do know is that, good and bad, more will be revealed.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

~~Food for Thought ~ Thoughtful Thursday Edition~~
~~Words Have Absolute Power~~

I love to laugh! Who doesn’t? The subconscious mind, however, has no sense of humor. If you make a joke about yourself or put yourself down and just think—Oh, it doesn’t mean anything, I’m only kidding myself—the subconscious mind accepts it as true and creates this thought accordingly. So we have to learn to use our humor lovingly and wisely.

There’s so much humor in life that it’s not necessary to denigrate another person or group with put-downs. Even in humor we’re working to help make the world a more loving and safer place to live.

Because words have power, I pay attention to them and carefully select them. I know my thoughts and my words shape my life, like a potter shapes clay into a bowl, a vase, a dinner plate, or a teapot. I am the words I think and speak. So why not create space inside myself for loving, optimistic, and cheerful patterns to constantly germinate, take root, and grow? Laughter is good.

You are the light of the world. Follow your inner star to sparkle and shine in your own unique way. You have a beautiful soul, and an outer body and a personality. But your soul is the center. Your soul is the part of you that’s eternal. Your soul can’t be hurt or destroyed. It can only be enriched by whatever your life experiences are. I believe that laughing, singing, and dancing are natural, normal spontaneous expressions. So, don’t worry, be happy, and dance your way through life.

Louise L. Hay
Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
Thanks Workaholic, it's good when someone understands a bit of what's going on inside your head. It's one of the hardest things explaining to people who haven't had depression or anxiety what it's like. I have an assessment today and will hopefully get some more counselling fingers crossed.

How are things with you?
I also suffer from anxiety and depression and my daughter, only 14, is treated for the same.

Our daughter has depression and some OCD/anxiety tendencies also. The good thing about being diagnosed, and getting help, at a young age is that she is learning life skills to manage it. Much like learning any self care, like hygeine, exercise and nutrition, she is learning to care for her mental health. It is too bad there can still be stigma attached to mental health issues, but I do think things are improvong with that.

I hope you find some good help Nightswimming.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting last night! They were so happy to hear me say I'm back and on Day 1 and that my life has become unmanageable.

They decided the best thing to do would be to focus the meeting on step 1, for me.

It was a lovely, lovely experience.

I feel grateful to be sober this morning.

I'm going to pray for myself as a suffering addict to accept the help I need and keep putting forth honest effort to find my way back to health and peace.

xoxo,
Melina
Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Melina. Glad you are here.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

~~Food for Thought ~ Thoughtful Thursday Edition~~
~~Words Have Absolute Power~~

I love to laugh! Who doesn’t? The subconscious mind, however, has no sense of humor. If you make a joke about yourself or put yourself down and just think—Oh, it doesn’t mean anything, I’m only kidding myself—the subconscious mind accepts it as true and creates this thought accordingly. So we have to learn to use our humor lovingly and wisely.

There’s so much humor in life that it’s not necessary to denigrate another person or group with put-downs. Even in humor we’re working to help make the world a more loving and safer place to live.

Because words have power, I pay attention to them and carefully select them. I know my thoughts and my words shape my life, like a potter shapes clay into a bowl, a vase, a dinner plate, or a teapot. I am the words I think and speak. So why not create space inside myself for loving, optimistic, and cheerful patterns to constantly germinate, take root, and grow? Laughter is good.

You are the light of the world. Follow your inner star to sparkle and shine in your own unique way. You have a beautiful soul, and an outer body and a personality. But your soul is the center. Your soul is the part of you that’s eternal. Your soul can’t be hurt or destroyed. It can only be enriched by whatever your life experiences are. I believe that laughing, singing, and dancing are natural, normal spontaneous expressions. So, don’t worry, be happy, and dance your way through life.

Louise L. Hay
Feeling great today, on the way to a workout, and wanted to add on this little quote to add some value to your day....

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." H. Jackson Brown, Jr.