Notices

Class of March 2013 part 29

Old 06-11-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I was going to make a post apologizing for being frivolous, going on about my classes when other people have genuine struggles.

But I realize that we're not supposed to say "sorry" on this thread, and I know I am not really a frivolous person. That's just what I display to the world at large. At least, that's what my Myers-Briggs assessment says (INFP). Most people do not realize that I am dead serious inside.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Heavens to Betsy!
why would something important to you seem frivolous to us Gilmer?

post away!

D
Old 06-11-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Oh Gilmer, you funny old thing, and I say "old" in the nicest possible most affectionate way. I'm delighted that you found a class that sounds like the real deal, getting back on the study horse will be so good for you and for your sobriety.

How interesting that you mention Myers-Briggs. When I did it years ago I was slightly E and extremely NFP, last time I did it I came out INFP.

What's the subject Gilmer and when will you start?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the Beatles inaugural arrival in Sydney, my brain struggled a bit with the fact that 50 years had passed since a public event I could remember but, all in all, it was a good memory. Yesterday I had a laugh with Mum remembering my friend Jenny and I were so upset with Mum and Jenny's Mum 50 years ago because, at all of 9 years old, they wouldn't let us catch three buses to Sydney airport so we could scream at the Beatles.

Reality hit this morning when I went through the greengrocer's cash register, reality that 50 years had passed. Let me preface this with the fact that my one vanity is that I pride myself on looking younger than I am. The woman on the checkout asked if I had my loyalty card -- I couldn't find it. "Never mind dear, have you got a seniors' card?"
Old 06-11-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

time for a new greengrocers Marcher lol
D
Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Gilmer, I was so happy to read your first post, as if was well aware your sleeping giant had been drooling and tossing and turning this last week. Far from being frivolous, I know your desire to continue towards your doctorate is hugely important to you, and that the knock back to your confidence on the last course really impacted you. ( though now you know it wasn't just you which I think has also helped rouse the giant) I also know that your desire for personal growth through education has inspired another on our other shared thread, so please, we are about recovery in all it's forms here, progress is just as important as early day struggles.

Plus if frivolity was an issue, I would be shaming Dee with my brevity!

Much love to all will check in later x
Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Marcher, it is a class in the Old Testament, "Genesis through Joshua."
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Actually, Toots, it is my husband who is pushing for me to get a doctorate. I would be satisfied just to finish the masters in 6 years or so.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I'm so happy to hear you are interested in classes again. Throughout your posts I've gotten the impression that this is very important to you. I enjoy hearing about your travels and travails with this and other things in your life!

Marcher, the first time I really got hit with being a "senior" was at a Dunkin' Donuts when a very young counter person automatically gave me the senior discount. It was a delightful reminder that I now qualified for those and hadn't been asking for, or getting, those previously.

Just a quick rant...my thyroid has been getting progressively worse. I'm sleeping much of the time, feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck and my brain is barely functioning (serious brain fuzz). I have never found a primary care doc that has managed my thyroid appropriately and though I hate yet more doc visits, I need to see an endocrinologist to help me get this sorted out! Difficult to get an appointment! There are a number of things that can reduce the effectiveness of the meds. Did some digging .... since last fall I've been starting my mornings with my thyroid pills and doing my due diligence by waiting 1-1/2 hours for breakfast. But did have coffee in the interim. That's a no no I discovered today. Also can't have any supplements with iron for at least 3 hours after meds. And those are just a few of the restrictions! Arrrrggggghhhh!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are still feeling rotten, Sass! I hear you on the crazy pill interactions: "take with food!" "take while fasting!" "iron and calcium don't mix!" I've got a bunch of pills I have to take all day long at different intervals--I've got it down to a science!

I was asked awhile ago by some wet-behind-the-ears supermarket checker if I needed a senior discount! I was a bit indignant--I had just turned 50, and I was clinging to the idea that I still looked "not a day over 45!" So I huffed "NO!"

I told my husband, and he said, "What the heck? You should have said yes and taken the discount!"

Next time I will--and on this November 23, when I actually turn 55, I will march proudly in there and demand it!

When my husband and I go out to dinner on date night, we already act like old people: we get in there at 4:30, order fast, eat, then leave immediately to beat the crowds.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Speaking of getting old, I've got cataract surgery tomorrow on my left eye. That's the eye that I had cancer in, and it has taken a beating from the after effects of radiation and three laser surgeries. I don't see very clearly out of it anyway; but lately it's as though there's a gelatinous mass floating all around it. Highly irritating!

I'm supposed to take my granddaughter swimming Saturday--hopefully that won't be a problem if I don't submerge my head.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good luck on your surgery tomorrrow Gilmer---
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thanks, Babs! How is the sobriety going? Are you getting through frustrations OK?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Thanks, Babs! How is the sobriety going? Are you getting through frustrations OK?
No--I'm back to day 1----but, i came right back.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Good! When we don't hear from you for a few days, we start to wonder. You are usually true blue to check in! We miss you when you're gone. Is there anything we can do to encourage you further?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

you guys are the best. I just need to toughen up. Thank you for the support
Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers.
Gilmer, I will send out a prayer that your operation on your eye goes well, which I am sure it will.

Marcher, it sounds like we are the same age! I will never forget watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show along with my three younger sisters... we were screaming along with the audience! It sounds like you at least had the opportunity to see them in person, although your parents were being sensible... It was inconceivable back then to ever think of seeing "famous people".

Toots: Do you remember last year when you posted about haggis and I tried to guess what they were, and failed miserably, although we all had a good laugh?

Well, I am reading a novel (brain candy, fluff) about a spy and an FBI agent meeting in a remote Scottish village, and the only item on the menu is haggis! They described it as:
" a dish made of boiled and minced sheep's lung, heart, liver and esophagus mixed with onion, toasted oatmeal, and beef fat. The mix was then stuffed into the sheep's stomach, sewn shut, and boiled again." Goodness! I am thinking you stopped at calling it some type of Scottish sausage, which I now appreciate it... it does not sound appetizing in the least. Is the books description accurate???
Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I think I could choke it down, except for the onions! I gag at onions!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

1day, I watched the Beatles on TV on the Ed Sullivan Show in the living room of my college dorm :-)

Gilmer, good luck with the cataract surgery. I had mine done about 6 years ago and it was so much easier than I expected. Got the expensive lenses and after wearing glasses since about age 9, can finally mostly go without! Heaven! 20 - minute surgery per eye and could see clear as a bell the next morning.

Babs, glad you came right back!