Notices

Class of March 2013 part 29

Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh c'mon Sass, we all know you look like Ellie May.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Let's have a contest to see who gets to be Jethro!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think I am beginning--beginning--to feel like resuming my classes. I have been busy with a lot of stuff during the day, but when I look back that evening, I'm hard pressed to say what I did each day.

For awhile I was burnt out, and I wasn't getting any pleasure out of studying, but now I kind of want it again.

Plus, I heard something really encouraging Thursday night from one of my pastors. He had taken the same online class that bummed me out so much, and he was just as bummed out and bewildered as I was by all of the same things. Like me, he was so discouraged that he dropped it!

He enrolled in another seminary in Kentucky and took the same class with a different professor and different textbooks: it was fantastic! He classes down there are hybrid classes: part online and part in person, so he has to commute to Louisville for several days a month.

That would not be an option for me.

But I am not a pastor! I am a housewife who is taking classes on a discretionary basis. I am free to take only the classes I like in the order that I like (if the finances allow, of course). Nobody's holding a gun to my head and forcing me to take the whole Masters. i can be an old Testament expert and just skip the New Testament (the incomprehensible professor teaches all of the NT courses).

Or I can just take them at the end, tear out my hair, and hope I get higher than a D!

Either way, i don't have to make up my mind for a long time. I can just take one class for now. Probably within the month. Probably Hebrew II (the language), because I don't want to forget what I learned in Hebrew I.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Let's have a contest to see who gets to be Jethro!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Don't everybody jump at once!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi, Life!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It is early Saturday morning here in Colorado.. going to be a perfect day, in my book, to get some gardening and yard clean up done... high will be 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ken: I saw something really creepy on the news: It said that there are 3 feet long rats invading the Florida Keys... I see in your info listed under your name you live in Key West... does that mean your area? Is it true? Have you seen any? Duff: Have you heard about the rats?
IDK, I may be changing my goal of vacationing in Florida in January...I will need to do some research.
I am not afraid of snakes or spiders, but put a rat or a mouse around and I will be jumping up on the table, desk, whatever....

I apologize for posting about something gross, but I would love to get the real story from someone local to the situation.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

1Day, no 3 foot long rats yet, we are at the end of the road, so if they are starting to invade Key Largo it will take a while for them to hitch a ride down here. More problems with iguanas than anything.

Gilmer, sounds like brain fry is lifting, take on your classes at your own pace, you will get them completed.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be surprised about the rats 1Day. They were getting python sightings and those pythons need something to eat so makes sense they sent for 3 foot long rats. I like rats. I always wanted one as pet. A white one. I think they are cute and I heard they are smart. I'd train her to sit in my purse and I would put a pretty pink bow on her. I would name her Ellie May. I don't want a 3 ft long one though. That's bigger than my dogs.

No such thing as just a housewife Gilmer. Running a household and raising kids is the hardest job in the world. And you take classes? That's over achiever in my book.

I always had a little crush on Jethro. He was so cute. But dumb. That's when I discovered I will take wit and intelligence over looks any day of the week. Pa Clampett was more my type. Plus he was rich. hahahahaha I loved Granny. Who didn't? She made the show. Her and Miss Hathoway. Heck, now I want to see if you can order the series off Amazon.

Raining here again. Pretty much everyday we get rain. I don't mind too much but a sunny Saturday would be nice.

Had a little Friday happy hour thought for a minute. I blame that damn pain pill. Popped in my head for a second on how nice it would be to drink a bottle of wine and just check out for a little while. But then I knew it wouldn't be for a little while. It would be all hell breaking loose. And welcome back self loathing, disappointment, and one heck of a hangover. And a whole other list of cr*p. Kind of helped me realize how a chain of events can link together and that a trigger isn't necessarily step one to step two. Sometimes it a series. Okay. Point taken. Even though I don't like pills, it ain't my kind of high, I get it. I'm wired to like to check out. Stay away from things that check me out. It will just open up the door to the one that did fit. I get it.

Sucks. I didn't think I would be that way. I thought drinking was my only problem. Boo. Checking out is my problem. And eventually, I will make anything that delivers that my problem if I don't pay attention.

Duly noted.

Later!
xoxo
Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

10402685_10152271558527830_1145834887489632954_n.jpgHere's a pic of brain fry just starting. This is an old friend Pete Weber at the Senior US Open this week. He ended up second and still has that look. ( I partied with Pete back in the day, he's been clean and sober for over 2 years now)
Old 06-07-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi all, I haven't read back. Checking in. Things haven't been great but hey, when is life super sweet for anyone?
giving you all my thoughts. b back when stronger....i'm not letting u go!!

Much love

LP xxx
Old 06-07-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Oh c'mon Sass, we all know you look like Ellie May.
Hah! Don't I wish .... but I don't have heat stroke and am not delirious yet so Ma Clampett it is

Life, happy you checked in. I found an app that is helping me conquer the cravings without white - knuckling. Will try to post more about it later. It's almost $50 (American) but so far it seems to be well worth it. Combination of mild hypnosis, auto-suggestion and visual imagery. It's essentially an audio file.

Gilmer, studying is like a chronic disease ... occasionally we go into remission but then start looking back fondly at the misery

Love at all!
Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yup, Ken, that's the way i was looking. I couldn't even see straight or comprehend a simple sentence!

Sass, I love to write research papers! I prefer when they give me the topic--I'm pretty unimaginative when it comes to picking something good out for myself.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am taking a break from working outside. Hmmm...where to start??
Ken: Thanks for the info around the rat question... I am happy to hear you are not being invaded!

Shoes: Your posts are too funny... that part about the Beverly Hillbillies and getting a pet rat with a pink bow on its head.... not the part about processing through the thoughts on drinking... good job there! It is amazing that when we post about the thought process behind a craving we can get to the part where we realize no good would come of picking up a drink or drug. It is like we don't even need advice - just the process of thinking/writing about it... one of my 12 step groups called that "playing the tape the whole way through"... before we pick up, almost always results in another day clean and sober.

So, I was way in the back yard... behind the garage, planting some flowers and cleaning up a holy mess, and I thought I was having audio hallucinations... I heard chickens clucking! I looked through the shrunken parts of the wooden fence, and sure enough, one of my neighbors has a chicken coop and 6 chickens! The husband and wife were out there working so I said hi and asked about the chickens and they invited me to come over.
I didn't even know chickens were legal in my city... but they are.
It was the first time I was in their backyard, and had only spoke to them one other time - last summer. They have quite a production... huge raised beds planted with vegetables, they are building a terrace, etc...
The funny part though, is when the wife told me her name again. (I did not remember it from last year) It is the same name of the internet connection that I continue to use for free, and am using right this minute. I almost started laughing when she said her name, as it is very unusual and I did have a little twinge of guilt, almost offered her a couple of dollars for the use of this connection. But I didn't. You know, if I did not, by chance, discover I had free internet, I guarantee I would not be sober today. I really wasn't planning on quitting drinking when I did... I remember reading the thread, saying hi and all, and when I had the connection again the next day I think that was when I came clean here and decided to quit drinking before the bar-b-q instead of the day after. God works in mysterious ways.
Enough of my rambling...
LifeT: Hi... glad to see you posting today!
Hi to all the rest of you!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Life, good to see you!

1Day, no rats here. But then again I have 2 terriers so a rodent wouldn't last too long on this property.

Waiting for the Belmont to start -- so exciting!!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well dang...no triple crown this year Still love Cal Chrome ... that horse has heart.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Hi all,

Just wanted to check in. I've been really busy with work. We've lost two people in the practice in the past month so things have been crazy. I've been up and back from NYC several times. I've been working regularly until midnight, as well as weekends. But things should lighten up next week...hopefully.

In spite of my workload, I've still been making 5-7 AA meetings a week. I've lost a few friends (relapse) but made some new ones too. I'm almost done with the steps. Still have a few amends to make.

Things are going well with the GF. We have a weekend getaway at a bed & breakfast planned for the end of the month.

Health is good. I had an endoscopy and my esophagus and stomach are completely healed. Still having some minor leg pain, but it's been getting much better since I stopped physical therapy.

All in all, life is amazing. I miss you guys and think about you regularly. Hope all is well in Marcher land.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

DIG DUG! It's wonderful to see you! I'm sure with all your trips to NY you have risen in prestige with the NY guy!

Glad to hear the rest of your life is going so well.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

DD wonderful to see you and hear how well you are doing, I think of you often too, I knew you would still be sober, Infact Joy & I talked about it when we met and I was adamant you would be happy and sober! ( she agreed!)
Life hope you check in later

Shoes my neighbours on a bedsit gazillion years ago had 2 pet rats, brown ones but super cute and so smart. I thought they were lovely they would happily sit on my shoulder watching tv!

Duff I've seen terriers in action ratting they are ruthless killing machines. It's quite amazing.

Must dash
Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Mr M and I are just back from a walk on the cycleway, Marcher Dog is panting away with his tongue hanging out -- needless to say he had a good time. I think Mr Marcher did too even though he isn't panting away with his tongue hanging out. It's blue and yellow and breezy if a touch chilly.

There is a chicken cooking in the oven, bread on the rise and chickpeas simmering -- it's nice to have a normal Sunday morning.

DD so good to see you -- your Aussie mom has been wondering about you.

Originally Posted by lifetplant View Post
b back when stronger....
Life the best time to be here is when you aren't feeling strong, we aren't fairweather friends and supporters, we are here for when the going gets tough. Isolation does more for AV than anything else I find.

I'm looking forward to a lazy afternoon.

Have a good day peeps.