SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2014 Part 11 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/334091-class-april-2014-part-11-a.html)

Applekat 06-03-2014 01:39 PM

Alright I have Darth Vader's voice in my head now. 'Luke.....I am your fatherrrrrr."

Long day. I hate that my kids are triggers. But they cause me such anxiety! LOL. Toddlers...sigh....and people with teenagers tell me I'm in the easy years now..!

Lucrezia 06-03-2014 01:57 PM

I think Kathleen DesMaisons has done a lot of research into sugar addiction and alcoholism... she has a seven step program to get off sugar. From what I remember, the relapse rate of alcoholics was very high, but once she got them off sugar, it turned to very very low.... such a good thing. There are only a couple of things in her program I disagree with - the rest looks so great to me!

I know that eating enough fats and protein is always good. It gives you a more long lasting energy than carbs and sugars do. The latter spike your blood sugar too much, and then it dips too low.... and a whole cycle is born. And addiction.

Ok I'll shut up now!!! :P

ChickChick 06-03-2014 02:04 PM

Kat we hit the teen years here last week. I'm a little scared! Enjoy the little ones they grow entirely too quickly. I know what you mean though, it is difficult! :hug: Hang in there mama!

Panacea 06-03-2014 03:29 PM

My eldest starts to drive this summer. I have a hard time finding my happy place when I am driving with him! :)

Pan

SolitaryThinker 06-03-2014 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Panacea (Post 4692847)
My eldest starts to drive this summer. I have a hard time finding my happy place when I am driving with him! :) Pan

my mom didn't either and now I drive for a living, don't worry too too hard!!! ;)

ChickChick 06-03-2014 03:57 PM

Oh the thought of my daughter driving *shudder*! She will be like ooohhh something shiny.... And there goes someone's mailbox!!

I feel better about the boys, they love anything with wheels. Actually the 7 year old "drove" the boat with hubby at the lake on Sunday, so it's not just wheels!

ST my hubby drives for a living too. I bet he terrified his mom too!

Dee74 06-03-2014 04:05 PM

LOL the one and only day I drove I collected a rubbish bin then drove into the back of a car...it was parked.

I decided to quit driving LOL.

D

MariahGayle 06-03-2014 05:09 PM

Nice Dee & Obo has you driving our bus:)

Dee74 06-03-2014 05:11 PM

Well I did warn Obosob :lmao

I guess fictional me is better skilled that way :)
D

Upward2Enlightenment 06-03-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChickChick (Post 4692907)
Oh the thought of my daughter driving *shudder*! She will be like ooohhh something shiny.... And there goes someone's mailbox!!

I feel better about the boys, they love anything with wheels. Actually the 7 year old "drove" the boat with hubby at the lake on Sunday, so it's not just wheels!

ST my hubby drives for a living too. I bet he terrified his mom too!

I thought that of my oldest chick, she was ok. The scary one was the book smart middle child over thinking turns. The stupid teacher tells them to make their left turns in steps, do this then this..... I was truly scared a couple of times. It was so hard trying to reteach turns to her.

MariahGayle 06-03-2014 05:18 PM

Pan....I took my youngest just an hour ago to take his test for drivers permit...he didn't pass. Will try again next week - strangely he has not been in a big hurry to get it...he could have gotten back in October...I finally told him last week that he should go get it as I want him to learn this summer & not wait till the bad weather sets in this winter. It is a worrisome thing when they are on the road.

Very tired today....had a 745am eye exam this morning. Have not had decent glasses for quite awhile now...scratched, have been man handled by a 2 year old & I ran them over...twice in the garage. Ran out of contacts almost 2 weeks ago & I'm exhausted from eye strain. Found out that my insurance covers the exam only...Is 600.00 for glasses & that is with inexpensive frames...had to do it though & paid 1/2 today & will get the other 1/2 when I pick them up.

Taking a little break here at home & then headed to the gym with "the teen":)

Upward2Enlightenment 06-03-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4693041)
Well I did warn Obosob :lmao

I guess fictional me is better skilled that way :)
D

You did almost take out a police car. ;)

Dee74 06-03-2014 05:20 PM

LOL glad that wasn't real life...:scared:

D

Upward2Enlightenment 06-03-2014 05:22 PM

Izzy..... check in

Applekat 06-03-2014 05:33 PM

Guys I'm just worried about my kids learning to talk, ABCs, reading, using the stinkin' toilet....fast forward 12/14 years and I'll be worrying about driving. Good grief. Pretty sure I already have my first grey hairs at 32....

Enjoying my sparkling water. Need a new show or book. I tried the pilot of House of Cards and just couldn't get into it..

Yes, Izzy, hi!! Hope all is well!!

MariahGayle 06-03-2014 05:37 PM

Kat.....Yes, worry that they will learn to talk:)

SolitaryThinker 06-03-2014 05:44 PM

I found a doctor, I have details as well, just ate dinner took a LONG shower, still frustrated a little but I want a milksheak now, I had a good dinner and lunch so I think it's ok, brb I'll let you guys know how my search went when I return, thank you for pushing me everyone too...

topspin 06-03-2014 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Panacea (Post 4692204)
How many mothers does it take to get you to pick up the phone and make an appointment? :)

It sounds like it was 4 or 5, ...or was it 6 ?

Good job , everyone

,.... esp you ST !

Lucrezia, I've read similar things about sugar ( esp. sweet drinks ) mauling our systems with too much sugar, all at once and after our adrenal glands get the workout of their lifetime to stabilize our blood sugar, ..we start to crash.

I've read the preferred way to get a slower amount in our bloodstream is through fresh fruit, ...versus even freshly squeezed juice. No wonder many restaurants serve fresh squeezed juice in the worlds smallest glasses !?!

young drivers are the best , huh ?
And hopefully, so full of confidence, ...

Mariah , I was the same way, ...no hurry to get my learners, for some reason.. probably in protest of my sister's irrational exuberance a year earlier.

I think I realized I had no job, no car, no money for gas, and no prospects for all three.
, lo....

DancingDiva 06-03-2014 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Applekat (Post 4692608)
Alright I have Darth Vader's voice in my head now. 'Luke.....I am your fatherrrrrr."

See, I immediately started singing "I will be your father figure, put your tiny hand in mine..."

You go to Star Wars, and I go to George Michael. You are clearly way cooler than I.

Checking in on a Tuesday evening...just got home, boiling up some pierogis for a quick dinner, and then off to a piano lesson! Hope everyone's doing well! All you parents of future drivers out there...I failed my driver's license test the first time I took it - only test I ever failed - and I haven't had a driving incident since I was 19 (16 years!!!) I called my insurance company to update my address and the woman I spoke with said she had never ever seen a premium as low as mine :) So, have a little faith in your wee ones.

Talk to ya soon!

rockstonic 06-03-2014 06:27 PM

Hi all! Just checking in. The middle of my weeks are busy busy busy with class stuff. Got back my test from yesterday and I got an A! Yay! So this school thing is finally settling down, but man is it a lot of work. I'll be happy when it's done in a few weeks.

Oof, all this talk of caffeine and sugar and I'm drinking a frappuccino. Need to cut back on it, but it's kind of been a long day, so I have to chose my battles.

UP, isn't it funny how the most cautious drivers can be the worst? I tried to teach my younger brother to drive and he was so cautious that he was making the slowest most dangerous turns. And he refused to press down on the gas for the most part. I gave up on him and sent him to a professional, haha.