Notices

Class of June 2014

Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I am in. I need all of the help and support I can get.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

IM IN! I give up.
I'm going to be 28 in 2 months and I've been drinking (and abusing substances) for 10 years now. What do I have to show for all those years of drama, parties and pain? Not too much. In the past year especially my drinking has been absolutely out of control. I can't have normal relationships or accountability because I'm
Not responsible, and I am quite self-centered. My drinking puts me in a lonely and dangerous place.

I have a lot of things on the line for this summer that I don't want to miss out on- I want to find a new job with better hours, I want to participate in my local CSA garden and I want to start consistently running again. I want to be a healthier, kinder person and I can't do any of this drunk or hungover.

I drank a six pack last night to deal with my hangover from the night before, so I'm pretty miserable this am. Happy to be here though.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisibelieve View Post
IM IN! I give up.
I'm going to be 28 in 2 months and I've been drinking (and abusing substances) for 10 years now. What do I have to show for all those years of drama, parties and pain? Not too much. In the past year especially my drinking has been absolutely out of control. I can't have normal relationships or accountability because I'm
Not responsible, and I am quite self-centered. My drinking puts me in a lonely and dangerous place.

I have a lot of things on the line for this summer that I don't want to miss out on- I want to find a new job with better hours, I want to participate in my local CSA garden and I want to start consistently running again. I want to be a healthier, kinder person and I can't do any of this drunk or hungover.

I drank a six pack last night to deal with my hangover from the night before, so I'm pretty miserable this am. Happy to be here though.
Hi. You are in the right place. I'm still suffering from a binge on Saturday so can empathise. I was just starting to run into real trouble with drink at your age. I am 50 in July and have struggled all this time. Sometimes worse than others. You do right to sort this out while you are still young. How I wish I had.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by sweetenuff View Post
Hi. You are in the right place. I'm still suffering from a binge on Saturday so can empathise. I was just starting to run into real trouble with drink at your age. I am 50 in July and have struggled all this time. Sometimes worse than others. You do right to sort this out while you are still young. How I wish I had.
Still young but I feel OLD! I'm at that point where it feels like EVERYONE I know is getting married/having babies/ finishing grad school, and here I am, getting drunk. I feel like such a loser.

I have to keep reminding myself that getting sober is the first baby step so that eventually I can achieve done of these things too.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

what I would give to go back to my twenties and stop my drinking there, before it progressed for the next dozen years. Relish the opportunity, all of you who are young, and congrats for being smart enough to make the decision now.

Welcome everyone and thanks for letting me be a part of this group. I have wanted to stop drinking for so long, and I have tried so many times only to feel better and forget in a mere few days. I pray this time I can do this. I have to.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisibelieve View Post
Still young but I feel OLD! I'm at that point where it feels like EVERYONE I know is getting married/having babies/ finishing grad school, and here I am, getting drunk. I feel like such a loser.

I have to keep reminding myself that getting sober is the first baby step so that eventually I can achieve done of these things too.
Its great that you've recognised that now though, you've plenty of time to catch up. Plenty of time to realise your dreams. Believe me feeling like a loser at 50 is no fun. You can do this, we all can. I want to make the most of the years I have left. Yes i agree that getting sober is our 1st step, a big one I think as so many other things are problems or stunted because of it.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Well, I blew off May like yesterday's dandelion....so here's to JUNE!
Old 06-02-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
dun

I'm in, I've been back at it for way too long. Can only roll the dice so many times before something bad happens.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, welcome all new joiners. Seems quite a few of us making a fresh start at this.

Day over. Was shocked to find myself having thoughts this afternoon that I couldn't do this, not drink forever, that my upcoming 50th won't be the same without champagne and wine...too true there's a better chance of self respect and feeling great the next day for a start. Yesterday i was so sure and glad i couldnt drink again. No cravings and still feel a bit rough but these thoughts so soon! I got upset and angry, think I am fearful and stressed about my wed work meeting so that didn't help. OK now, for now.

I hate this piggin disease, why can't it just bog off and leave us alone

Hope everyone is feeling good, at least getting through. Night all....or good day.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hey everybody! Hope evryone is hanging in there... it is an ugghhh of a Monday but sober is as sober does so I am doing this... 24 tomorrow and thankful. Anxiety and Av is rockin my world today, on the way home I thought I could taste brandy...thats a first. My car has learned not to go via the way of the liquor store, although it seems to jump out into the road from the shopping center as I pass by... glad the grocery stores in jersey dont sell liquor.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hey Tellmewhen, welcome - what you're saying sounds really familiar, I have always struggled with depression and anxiety but it reached a new level with my last round of drinking... we can do this, it will get better!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Day two, CHECK! Very tired today. I am trying hard to not overanalyze this because that will cause me difficulty. Does anyone find that there own mind and way you can rationalize things actually is your downfall?!? I know in two or three days I will be saying, "oh, just one....blah blah blah". Please give me the strength to fight that horrible voice that brings me down!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Checking in here regularly really helped me fight that whatcouldbe - I know it will help you too

D
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

day one, i did it. Things went much more smoothly than expected. I managed to drag my hungover butt outta bed, so for a little (HOT, SWEATY!) run and did some errands.

It's amazing sometimes how much better your day goes once you just get the initiative to get the ball rolling, at least that's how it felt today. I easily could have laid in bed and nursed my hangover, then just started drinking again out of boredom, but I didn't and I'm SO PROUD of myself. I have a decent amount of social anxiety and I'm naturally introverted, so it's often quite difficult to force myself out of my comfort zone...But everything turned out ok. I even ran into a friend of a friend, who I chatted with, just a really nice and smart guy. I live in kind of a crappy city at the moment, (lots of crime and poverty)with a lot of WEIRDOS, so to be able to talk to someone intelligent and normal, is refreshing.

Made myself a healthy dinner, stewed collards with white beans, garlic and lemon, over quinoa. I'm finishing up some reading and going to bed early, so THANKFUL for this sober day, and incredibly grateful for the support of this thread. One day at a time right?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are going well thisibelieve

D
Old 06-02-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Giving it a shot

I went to my first meeting tonight. I don't know if I'm ready for sobriety...I'm not going to lie, I've never really had the horror stories the old timers tell at the meetings. Honestly I'm so functional few people in my life know. But I know.

I know how I drink so I don't have to feel so badly about myself. How I hate the skin I'm in, how it hurts my health and prevents me from doing the things I could do. My therapist has been really helpful. I can't commit to staying sober all month...frankly, I'm just focusing on each day. Whether that will lead to sobriety or moderation, I don't know. But something feels different now. I have hope, which I haven't had in a long time.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WildPup

I bet, if you asked them, every one of those old timers would say 'I really regret not quitting before it got too bad'

and it will get bad - alcoholism is progressive. It doesn't help with feeling badly about yourself either - in fact it makes it worse.

Don't talk yourself out of this

D
Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me and I feel great tonight. Had a productive day at work, went to Crossfit and had an amazing workout and then came home and grilled on my balcony. Had a nice evening sitting outside and eating my dinner. It's amazing what a difference being healthy can have on your mental health. Thankfully, I'm feeling very optimistic tonight. Thanks to everyone on here for their support and words of encouragement. You are all fantastic! Xoxo
Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thanks!! I am a former England transfer.... I am from Barrow In Furness. I appreciate the support!!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Swede keeps knockin' .... Dee keeps sending him away.
( I personally think it's a sign, ....he should be in our Class )