SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of June 2014 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/333890-class-june-2014-a.html)

Grateful11 06-09-2014 12:29 PM

Welcome Hereandnow2! You snuck in before my last post...

Humie 06-09-2014 12:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I must stop drinking, and I am glad that I found this forum.

saoirse 06-09-2014 12:48 PM

New

Hello all. I'm at day 1. Made it to 5 months back in March and have been struggling since then. Hate that I'm back to this point but ready to succeed!

Humie 06-09-2014 12:54 PM

Hi Saoirse,

I am on day 1 as well. I want to attend a meeting, but there are none in my area that I can go to before work tonight. I work from 6 pm until 7 am. The worst time for me is when I get off the job because the local meetings don't start until 9 or 10 am, and I have to sleep sometime. I usually end up buying beer on the way home.

Applekat 06-09-2014 02:24 PM

I'm day 1 with three slips since beginning my sober journey April 23rd. Doing the best I can. I'm at home with two little kiddos. I look forward to a bubble bath, great book, or TV on my own each night. ;) Trying to do all that without wine, and with sparkling water or tea instead.

What are your 'go-to' activities during tough hours or cravings?

Kat

Hereandnow2 06-09-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Applekat (Post 4706329)
I'm day 1 with three slips since beginning my sober journey April 23rd. Doing the best I can. I'm at home with two little kiddos. I look forward to a bubble bath, great book, or TV on my own each night. ;) Trying to do all that without wine, and with sparkling water or tea instead.

What are your 'go-to' activities during tough hours or cravings?

Kat

Applekat, I'm home also with two kids! I was struggling a couple hours ago and while my little one was napping I played with clay with my 7 year old. Mind totally off drinking for a while at least!

EarlyHours 06-09-2014 03:03 PM

Just checking in quick before I go relax with a movie. I really haven't been thinking about alcohol as much today. Any thoughts were more along the, "hey, that would be nice." route, as opposed to white knuckled, "gotta distract myself" thoughts. I did cheat and had a little caffeine (ice tea) as a day 7 treat, but quitting caffeine forever was never the plan :)

Welcome to all the new members, and everyone coming back and giving this another chance. I'm glad you're here.

Take care, stay strong

Applekat 06-09-2014 03:18 PM

Hereandnow....I wish I knew what a naptime was like! My youngest (2) has been on nap strike since January. Seeing as how it is June now I think it's no longer a strike, and just is what it is. That's just too young though!

Sigh.

ForgetfulKevin 06-09-2014 04:13 PM

Sober Monday continues ...

Got home from work without buying alcohol. Fed the cat, changed clothes, had a lie-down for 5 or 10 minutes, eating real food at the moment.

I think this will be my routine for immediately after work.

3 or 4 hours to bedtime. Will check in to the "24 hrs" thread later.

Dee74 06-09-2014 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Applekat (Post 4705399)
I'd love to step in here. Unfortunately I've had 3 slips since joining in April. Not terrible slips, but I need to stop the pattern before it gets back to drinking 7 days a week again.

What do you think you need to do to make recovery a regular thing applekat?

Originally Posted by phil571610 (Post 4705423)
I picked up. Maybe in the future I will get it. If it's any consolation, I loathe myself but the beer numbs it. I mean that you must focus on your own recovery even more and don't be influenced by me. My trigger was talking about my pain too much and avoiding healthy behaviour if that is any help. My addictive self wants me to have an easy return to Earth, my human self wants me to get better and find love and reason. My animal self spurns this internet connection as a fool between the two formers. My restoration is in action, not words. Goodnight words.

The fear of getting sober was a million times worse than the reality Phil.

I spent years using words and thoughts and musings as a synonym for recovery. Thats not recovery.

I know now recovery can't start until we stop drinking. Action is key.

Originally Posted by ForgiveMeAll (Post 4705822)
Day 9! Yippee. I have never been so scared an so happy at the same time!

My hands are shaking from withdraw. When does this stop??

Congrats on day 9 but sorry about the shakes ForgiveMeAll - have you considered seeing a Dr?

Welcome Anotherexcuse LaHispanicPanic Humie and hereandnow2 :)
Welcome back to avra and onlythelonely :)

apologies to anyone I missed :)

D

ForgetfulKevin 06-09-2014 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by LaHispanicPanic (Post 4705841)
So fatigued I'm not even able to share my whole addiction story at the moment, but I'd like to later just to perhaps get some advice and an outside perspective.

Hiya, LaHispanicPanic!

I can tell you that posting at SR has helped me, not just for the feedback and encouragement but also as a kind of journal to help remind me what I'm doing and where I was a few days ago. For me there really is a kind of amnesia involved in my addiction.

Posting at SR helps keep this choice for sobriety and the reasons for it bouncing around and alive in my mind because let's face it, I'm an egotist and I enjoy reading my own posts. ;)

Well, it's a true joke.

I DON'T ALWAYS READ POSTS ON SR

BUT WHEN I DO, I WROTE THEM.

;)

Best wishes for your health and sobriety,

K

Dee74 06-09-2014 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this Kevin?
I changed the bottle too - real men drink chocolate milk :)

D

ForgetfulKevin 06-09-2014 08:44 PM

Yeah, Dee -- in fact earlier tonight I almost used a meme generator, then caught myself and thought maybe with the pic and original bottle it wouldn't be appropriate for SR.

Dee74 06-09-2014 08:46 PM

No worries Kevin - I think the new bottle looks better ;)

D

gracette 06-09-2014 09:14 PM

Hey all and welcome to all the day 1ers, so glad you are here.

I'm on day 11, I'm feeling a lot better than I was. I think now that I'm feeling less terrible, dealing with what to do after work will be more of a challenge. I'm going to try a meeting tomorrow, I think...

Hang in there everybody.

not2late 06-09-2014 11:24 PM

I'm sooooo frustrated and mad at myself. I had 30 days and slipped. I MUST try again. Wednesday is my birthday. I'll be 56 and I don't want to waste anymore days. Today will be day 1 again. I need June to be my sober month...for good. I cannot drink one drop because it always leads to more. I need to post here more often. You all help me so much and give me hope that I can do it.

Dee74 06-09-2014 11:31 PM

Just like your name says, it's not too late Not2late :)
Do you know why you slipped?

D

Django 06-09-2014 11:36 PM

Morning everyone,lovely Tuesday morning here in England and although only on day 3 (again),I'm feeling 100% and ready to hopefully do 2 months of the insanity workout,just hoping the knee holds out.

Sorry to hear that not2late,but 30 days is a great achievement and now you know it's possible to hit that milestone.

Welcome to the newcomers and I hope you make this your final time :-)

As it's the World Cup coming it's going to be a huge test for me.I planned on staying in and watching,and my dad has already said we will get some drinks in..I've said no obviously.He knows I've got a problem,he just doesn't understand why I can't moderate.Im not going to explain I'm just going to say not during insanity as it keeps it easier.

Have a good one everyone :-)

not2late 06-09-2014 11:41 PM

Hi Dee.. I have used alcohol for stress. There's a lot of it right now. I need a new way to cope. Also..I feel like I am weak when it comes to will power. I can't even diet successfully.

Dee74 06-09-2014 11:43 PM

I think support is really important, not2late - and using it is even more important :)

D