SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of June 2014 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/333890-class-june-2014-a.html)

phil571610 06-01-2014 07:35 AM

I maintain that recovery is a returning to self. Residing in original self was our birthright. Reclaiming it costs lies.

sweetenuff 06-01-2014 07:37 AM

Hi Robert sounds like you are taking proactive action to avoid drinking, can you do something to distract yourself? Today's not going to be a problem for me as feeling so ill but I can understand where you are coming from, it will be day 4 or 5 when the cravings turf up for me. Good luck, stay strong.

Robert777 06-01-2014 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by sweetenuff (Post 4687373)
Hi Robert sounds like you are taking proactive action to avoid drinking, can you do something to distract yourself? Today's not going to be a problem for me as feeling so ill but I can understand where you are coming from, it will be day 4 or 5 when the cravings turf up for me. Good luck, stay strong.

Hi sweetenuff, yeah I have put things into place to make it harder for me to just give into the cravings like I usually did. It seems to be making a difference. Sorry to hear you are feeling ill, hope you feel better soon. I guess I could go for a walk/cycle, distraction does help take my mind off these horrible feelings. Thanks. You too.

sweetenuff 06-01-2014 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Robert777 (Post 4687382)
Hi sweetenuff, yeah I have put things into place to make it harder for me to just give into the cravings like I usually did. It seems to be making a difference. Sorry to hear you are feeling ill, hope you feel better soon. I guess I could go for a walk/cycle, distraction does help take my mind off these horrible feelings. Thanks. You too.

Yes if only there were no cravings, parties, weekends etc etc I could crack this :wild!, seriously its very hard isn't it. I managed 7 weeks once, my longest dry stint and I felt so much better. Its scary to think I will never drink again but great too. I am sure that we will reap so many rewards and it will get easier as time passes. If the weather is nice where you are a walk or cycle sounds great. Enjoy it.

Dee74 06-01-2014 03:05 PM

Welcome to all the newcomers :)

The early days aren't easy but they're a lot easier with support.

Hope you did ok today Robert :)
I'm afraid I'm just not a conspiracy kinda guy Sean :)

Whats your plan sweetenuff? :)

Originally Posted by phil571610 (Post 4687369)
I maintain that recovery is a returning to self. Residing in original self was our birthright. Reclaiming it costs lies.

not sure what you mean by it costs lies Phil?

D

Raidersfan13 06-01-2014 03:40 PM

Day 1. I can do this.

Best of luck everyone and thank you for the support

sweetenuff 06-01-2014 03:42 PM

Hi Dee. Good diet and exercise, mindfulness meditation, I've told a few people this time round to make it more real and accountable. I have said to my husband I've really had enough and we both have to accept that I just can't control alcohol and drink like him, a 'normal person', he is relieved but to some extent he's heard it before. I fully intend to prove it. I really do feel I have accepted this now but I know it won't be easy. I intend to tell friends before we meet that I no longer drink and choose get togethers that are not all about drink, in fact don't involve it as far as possible especially in the next few weeks. If I have to do something where there is temptation I will plan ahead how to cope. I am looking at alcohol counselling.

I have been reading on SR all day and will keep at it, reinforcing that I am not able to drink, and that it is possible to quit this. I want that sober life and believe it will be better. I am ready to change my thinking and attitude. Instead of lamenting about not being able to drink on a sunny day I will focus on how great a sunny day is, how lucky I am not to spoil it being a drunk and wiping out tomorrows sunny day with an hangover, like I did today.

I am getting made redundant from a job I hate, bad re finances but good re stress and wellbeing. Its been very bloody how they have and are treating me but I have to just be glad I am out of there ...... whilst trying to make sure they can't get away with unfair dismissal. I need a less stressful job albeit less pay. We are sorting out our garden and I want to enjoy doing it and using it rather than being inside recovering. I guess I am saying my sobriety and health are going to be first from now on.

I feel relieved not sad, this is different for me. I don't want to waste another minute of my life on drink and its consequences. Feel angry that I wasted so much already.

Hope everyone has or is having a good and sober day.

sweetenuff 06-01-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Raidersfan13 (Post 4688126)
Day 1. I can do this.

Best of luck everyone and thank you for the support

Day 1 for me too, the last one I ever intend to have. We can do this.

Imara 06-01-2014 03:50 PM

I'm back on Day 1. Joined a few weeks ago and made it 5 days but then have been drinking the last 5. Realize I need more support than I thought so will participate more in this site and try to get the courage up to find a local meeting. Happy June 1:)

sweetenuff 06-01-2014 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Imara (Post 4688143)
I'm back on Day 1. Joined a few weeks ago and made it 5 days but then have been drinking the last 5. Realize I need more support than I thought so will participate more in this site and try to get the courage up to find a local meeting. Happy June 1:)

A few of us on day 1 the 1st June will be easy to remember for our first sober anniversary

whatcouldbe 06-01-2014 04:11 PM

Very excited to join in. I have been planning this quit date for a long time and am actually starting two days early. My husband and I have gone over all the benefits we hopefully will see. Anxious to really be a better version of me!

sweetenuff 06-01-2014 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe (Post 4688180)
Very excited to join in. I have been planning this quit date for a long time and am actually starting two days early. My husband and I have gone over all the benefits we hopefully will see. Anxious to really be a better version of me!

Welcome what could be, like the way you put that! I am excited too.......will feel better when this horrible hangover is over with....my last one

Minion09 06-01-2014 04:33 PM

Hey everyone! I joined the may class a little late, and feel like I still need the class, so I am sticking with June. To all of you on or close to day 1, welcome and proud of you. Early days are tough, but you r here and that means you care enough about yourself to get better. I too want the same thing, and while I may be a litlle further along, somedays feel like day 1 especially when I mm home alone at night, but SR has provided an understanding encouraging place to shar honestly, so please share and I will listen and return what was given me 23 days ago an somedays I am absolutely sure I will need it back. Sorry long winded!

Cowgirlie 06-01-2014 05:06 PM

Helloooooo! New enrolment in the class please! I'll take this seat over by the window and hand out cake while we all settle in :)

Sweetenuff, 7 weeks sober is awesome! Excluding pregnancy I think my longest spell has been 8-9 days...

Ooh I love a fresh new month! Can't wait to have my evenings back to get exercising and look after myself more. I spend so much energy looking after my kids and working hard, I think I over-look myself completely. I was reading about High Functioning Alcoholics and it all rings so true... if that is me, I'm telling myself it must mean I'm capable of being a high functioning sober person! As in, can achieve sobriety if I approach it with the same dedication as I have other areas of my life. There's my deep thought if the day!!

Dee74 06-01-2014 05:13 PM

Welcome guys :)

D

sweetenuff 06-01-2014 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cowgirlie (Post 4688265)
Helloooooo! New enrolment in the class please! I'll take this seat over by the window and hand out cake while we all settle in :)

Sweetenuff, 7 weeks sober is awesome!!

H cowgirlie, welcome! I keep telling myself that I can do it again if I managed it before. I felt so great too but here I am back at day 1. :wild

anewpage 06-01-2014 05:21 PM

Well. I f$%&ed up and drank today so it looks like I'm in the June class. I hate myself and want to die.

Dee74 06-01-2014 05:24 PM

Try and look at the big picture anewpage - you're racking up increments of two weeks or so now...what you have to do is find that extra element that will make this change permanent :)

what do you think were the factors in you drinking today? :dunno:

D

Thepatman 06-01-2014 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by anewpage (Post 4688287)
Well. I f$%&ed up and drank today so it looks like I'm in the June class. I hate myself and want to die.

anewpage, just dust off and start over my friend. I relapsed more than imaginable. Yet here I am with 3 little days. Not much but we have to start somewhere. Make tomorrow your day 1, by the end of June you will have 30.

anewpage 06-01-2014 05:28 PM

It was my step daughters graduation. and half way through, the baby sitter called and said she had to leave so I had to go home and watch the kids. I was so upset and so mad that I had to miss the graduation. On top of that, a complete stranger commented on my parenting. I just thought, sod this. I'm buying alcohol. So I did. :(