Class of August 2013 - Part 12

Old 06-06-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great weekend guys

D
Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Live about 100 miles from bean town! My son lives there! Going to visit next week, who's to say Orn we don't pass each other buying fresh veg's at the Boston market!!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oceanlady View Post
Live about 100 miles from bean town! My son lives there! Going to visit next week, who's to say Orn we don't pass each other buying fresh veg's at the Boston market!!
I'm tall, skinny, and will have a bottled water in my hands, you can't miss me.
I'm in Portsmouth, NH one night which is probably closer to where you live and we're renting a house in the Camden, ME area later this summer. We usually rent a house in Castine but are trying something different this summer.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I'm am tall , not so skinny , and will be holding a Brighams ice cream cone!! Yes, Portsmouth is in my back yard...I am right outside of Portland. Been to Camden many times,very lovely. I like traveling further up the coast to less traveled harbors. Friends in Eastport...have a wonderful time!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey all! I hope the weekend is treating you well!

Jdooner, so proud of you for making it through that difficult time.

Venecia, hoping the days are being kind to you and that you are feeling ok. I think I you often.

How is everyone else doing?

Knock on wood, alcohol has not been a significant factor in my days for quite some time. I've breezed through a few banquets and social, alcohol fueled, situations without a second thought. Nobody even cares or notices that I'm not drinking as the mister is very diligent about grabbing me a club soda and cran whenever my drink is empty. And I somebody notices and asks, I tell them the truth. Some people are genuinely interested, some just seem uncomfortable, I couldn't care less about the latter! Haha.

Still on the SSRIs, so very thankful for them and plan to stay on them for a year total and then slowly wean off of them to see how I fare on my own.

Happy Sunday! I'm off to work a day shift.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

There's a terrible fire growing rapidly in size not too far from here. Thankfully it's going away from us but we have hooked up our trailers just in case we're needed to help others ( or ourselves !) evacuate. It's heading straight for the town and they are evacuating many people. I knew this was going to be a bad fire season but this is going to be really bad. It's not even summer yet. This fire started with two little wisps of smoke at 1:30 yesterday afternoon, and has grown to about 6200 acres now at 9:00 am. The air is thick with smoke and it's hard to breathe. Thankfully the wind is calm but this time of year it comes up from the North every afternoon. This could get bad.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey Else, keep a close watch on it. I heard a lot of horses have been rescued already. They have now evacuated everything west of Mt Washington Dr, which is where my place is. I feel confident it won't reach my house due to land that's been cleared for the new park and lake. Still, it is worrisome and I have reached out to my tenant to make sure she is prepared to leave.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thanks Adv, and good luck! We're going to need some luck
Old 06-08-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Yes, everything is so dry. California is even worse. I fear that eventally most of the pine forests in the West will burn as a result of climate change and associated droughts, beetle kill, etc.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thinking of you out there. You will be in my prayers.
Very nice weekend here finally warm!
Old 06-08-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everything is ok Else.

D
Old 06-08-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi, all,

SheKnits, I love your description of life these days. Your strength really comes through.

Oregonians, I am thinking of you and hoping that all is well -- no evacuation for Else, safe Bend home for Advbike. Re the western pine forests, I think you are sadly right, Advbike. When I was visiting friends in Colorado not quite three years ago, I was stunned by the massive death of the pines -- all ultimately related to climate change.

I'm doing all right. Back home now for the return to my life, job and routine. I did make a couple flying trips back but have mainly been at Mom's for a week plus. The shock slowly gives way to the reality, but the road ahead is a long one. Life will be different now.

I trust you folks with my thoughts and feelings. But I do want to spend some time in the grief section of SR -- I think that may be the more appropriate place for me to talk specifically about Dad when the need arises. Not to say that I won't bring it up here, but I don't want to turn into "all grieving Venecia, all the time."

Again, thanks to all for the many kind words. They've helped a lot.

May the week ahead be peaceful, healthy and sober for all of us. And safe from fire.

V.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
but I don't want to turn into "all grieving Venetia, all the time."
I lost my Dad two years ago, you can grieve here as much as you need to.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

This has been a very weird day today. This morning my husband started to act very strange. He began to have symptoms that I suspected might be a stroke. To make a long story short we spent the day in the ER. They did a CT scan and an EEG and decided he had a condition they described as a Transient Global Amnesia, which rarely recurs. Not a stroke. I am very grateful it was not that. He will be under the care of a neurologist for a while. To say the least I am quite frazzled with the fire and now this. But I want to say that although it crossed my mind to take a few pills, I did not and was able to conduct myself with calmness and precision. I feel good about that, at least.

Life just doesn't let up for any of us. Things are ok for now. I am home and I've been in touch with my family and they are very supportive.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Orn absolutely Venecia

gee Else - how scary - I'm glad he will be ok. It's been a rough day for you

D
Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Else.. big hug. You have had a day indeed. Way to go on remaining calm, cool and collected under duress Hope things turn out fine for hubby.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Else! Amazing strength! I'm so glad your husband is ok.

One of my patients died today. She had a very long battle with a failing body due in large part to alcohol abuse throughout her life. It was a very eye opening experience. I feel so very thankful for my sobriety today.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for that SheKnits.

D
Old 06-09-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Else , so pround of you in the way you are handling major problems in a clear confident way. I guess you are learning a lot about the stronge person you really are.
V, I lost my mom a few years ago, I understand all that you are going though...so don't hold back if you feel like posting to us!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey guys - wow so much going on...

Else - think of it this way your husband needs you. He needs you to be sober bc you need to make some big decisions to help him now. He would not want you high - perhaps this is why you got sober to deal with life when you have too. Stay strong my dear, I have faith in you.

V - I am glad you got through the immediate process but grief has lingering effects - we are here for you. I hope this week goes well for you. Oh, here is my workout schedule

Mon - Rest
Tues - AM swim 2300M with coach pyramid session
Tues PM - Tennis Match
Wed AM - 4 mile hill run
Wed mid day - yoga
Wed PM - Weights - warm up jump rope 2 min, 3x20 air squats on boss ball, 3x10 50lb one arm rows, 3x20 pushups, 3x20 swimmies on boss ball
Thurs -AM - pool 2300m with coach
Thurs PM - tennis practice with Team
Fri - Tennis practice with coach - 2 hrs on court
Sat AM - mtn bike 10 miles with dogs
Sun - 2 mile open water swim and repeat weight routine

Orn - I work downtown in Boston - PM me if you want to grab a lunch or go for a run.
Sheknits - thanks for the sentiment
Advbike - I hope you stay out of the fire path - thoughts and prayers to you.