Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 12

Old 06-01-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Venecia - thinking of you...hope you are processing. We are hear for you if we can be of service.

Advbike - sounds like a great ride. I love the ones that push us. When you can taste the saliva change to a hint of aluminum and know that you are at lactic threshold and the endorphins are kicking in like a drug. Funny, as I wrote that I could really see the addict in me:-)

I am on a plane right now above the Rockies on my way to San Diego. It was tough leaving the family. One of the things that has changed for me is recognizing how much I love my wife and kids. My kids don't understand that I have to work, since I try to work from home three days a week. I go into my downtown office when I am in the pool with my swim coach.

I am sure you can swim. Swimming is 100% learned. IT is all technique and about efficiency. Its what I love about it...you are constantly working to become more efficient. A perfect balance between power and oxygen intake. When I started swimming for my first triathlon I could not swim two lengths. Today one mile is my limitation but working back to my previous peak of +3miles.

Lets get a mtn bike in sometime. IF I have an Oregon trip at some point I will reach out and we can go for a mtn bike. When I was on the Ski Team after US Nationals we used to head down to Moab for a week of riding and camping. It was one of my best memories of living in Utah. Canyonlands and Arches. Trail names like Porcupine Rim, Mesa Spider, Slick Rock. A hard 50 mile mtn bike during the day - good for the soul.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Best wishes to all for a great week! This working gig is getting old!! Full time for the next couple of weeks!! Bet you all feel for me!
V, hope you getting some extra rest and are close to your family this week...
JD and Advbike , how about a few side cars on this biking trip for us gals?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Still thinking of you Venecia and wishing you the best

D
Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi pals! All is well with me. I'm thinking of you Venecia. Hope you and your family are holding each other tight.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement JD. A mtn bike ride sometime would be great. Lots of great trails here in Oregon, as you know. Have a good trip to San Diego, hope the smoke and fires have dissipated.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

V, been thinking of you and sending love.

Happy Monday, everyone. Last night I reconnected (on the phone) with one of my sister's best friends who has been sober for about three years. We grew up together and she lives in California--I haven't seen her since our wine-drinking on the porch days. It was so good to talk to someone I've known for awhile about recovery.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Next weekend I'll attend my first sober wedding and the whole family will be there--one of my cousins is getting married. Another cousin just texted to say looking forward, etc, and "we'll have to have more than a few drinks!!" I texted back that I was looking forward to hanging out but that I had quit drinking nine months ago. Some of the aunts know I quit drinking--when I saw them over Christmas, they commented on weight loss, and I said 'I quit drinking'. I don't think I'll get much flack. Alcoholism runs in the family so maybe they figured it out. It will be nice to not be hungover at the wedding from drinking too much at the rehearsal.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Kadi, it may well be that you will be the one to change the family dynamic that is associated with alcohol. Taking action, talking about it openly, and the positive results all influence others. Great job!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Muppet cupcakes for Dee. Of course, all are welcome to partake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (27.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement JD. A mtn bike ride sometime would be great. Lots of great trails here in Oregon, as you know. Have a good trip to San Diego, hope the smoke and fires have dissipated.
San Diego is just stunning. I am staying in the Gas Lamp district and am having a salad outside. I have a few more meetings then heading to LAs Vegas tonight for a couple days of more meetings. No smoke - I was here during the fires some six years ago. One of th more surreal experiences flying through the fires into a smoke infested city.

Kadi - I could never make it through weddings - I was always so hung over from the rehearsal dinners. I can so relate. I am sure you will enjoy yourself.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Kadidee, it seems like you've turned a significant corner being able to talk to others about this. I was actually sober at my son's wedding and my sister's wedding because they happened in that little window before the pills started. I had a great time at both of them and no stupid behavior or hangovers. I'm so glad I didn't embarrass either of them. You are going to have fun and everyone is going to notice how lovely you are.

JD, I really love San Diego, too. They have some good Mexican food down there.....
Old 06-02-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I finally got to see those cakes - thanks Kadi
I think you'll be fine at the wedding - but the gang here will be with you in spirit anyway

D
Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mmmm.. Mexican food..
Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well guys just exited my plane in Las Vegas to 104 degree temps. I am not sure if any amount of sobriety can get me used to this place. Instantly, I was reliving memories of coke fueled cabana parties and celebrity DJs. In fact, I can feel my body change and the obsession begin just thinking about it. I will be fine but it is not easy. I know a relapse would certainly undue all my work and put me back in the throws of by addictions - still the power of the drugs is awe inspiring. For me I think its more the cocaine than anything else. The power of that powder, in spite of all the negative consequences. Lots of meditation and may be posting a bit more than usual.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Our little town on the Eastern Shore of Maryland hosts the National Music Festival each year. We just attended a bassoon master class with orchestra this evening. Great stuff!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Post away JD. I have complete faith in you and your recovery though

D
Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

After reading about Carl it has helped change my mindset. I was definitely feeling lulled by the memories and familiar haunts. That said, his post really helped cement how real complacency can be with my addictions.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been there - I'm really proud of Carl.

D
Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

((((JD))). We're here for you. I have some memories of Vegas, too. That place is rotten to the core. Remember who you are and keep on coming back to us. Your life is not worth a couple of nights in Vegas.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am okay...its tough. I will look forward to getting back home.