Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 10

Old 05-28-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I don't feel much like talking today, but I'm here listening! Took an exam.
I thought I did okay but then I started checking answers and I think I bombed it.
So there's that. Idk. This summer is starting off very poorly for me. I'll be back later.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Two things. 1. I don't know ANY of the bands you guys talk about lol! 2. Now I want a redbull, and some cake. The end.
hahaha sorry!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
Kat...I could always go for some cake!!!! Or anything chocolate, really.... I've been settling for cocoa puffs. Not healthy, but not as bad in my mind as full-fat ice cream, donuts, or brownies lol
nice
Old 05-28-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3777 View Post
Just finished my hike with a little time before the kids get home. You guys are awesome! I think I'm pulling out of this sluggish blah stage and getting myself to exercise is very much helping. I haven't got to the high energy, clean up the house stage yet, but hopeful! Kat, you sound like me. I had a ton of rules that I followed so "drinking wasn't a problem" only wine, only a bottle, mostly 1/2 a bottle, but there were days that 2 bottles would be gone...I think at least once a week. It was almost every night, but never super drunk. All these rules made it easy to ignore the fact that it WAS a problem because I really wanted to stop, but couldn't. Or I would for a week, or even a few years ago a went 3 months and felt so good I celebrated (plus I was on vacation with my inlaws) with wine! I noticed I went right back to the exact place I had left off. It was just like you read about those alcoholics (I wasn't one!) Then I would treat myself to a small glass of wine in the morning if it was a day off. Ok now it was getting harder to deny a problem, but also harder to stop. This group of fools is the only reason I haven't had a drink since 4/13/14 and believe me, it's been massively hard at times. Way more work I ever thought. I still find myself craving (not nearly as much). But random triggers when my guard is down! Tricky addiction!! Very sleuthing. Thank you all!
that sounds like an annoying type of addiction too, it's like ingrained in regular life, I could see that being an extremely difficult situation as well...my addiction was my world so I didn't care about anything else really...if I had a whole situation already there and having booze find it's way in and out I couldent imigine. It actually let's me look into my moms head a little more in a way, kinda see where she is coming from...
Also, be thankful that it is JUST booze, although it's a different battle with drugs but the two together make it even more "weird" in a way
Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
ST just remembered another group of comps when u mentioned cover songs...did u ever have or listen to the "Before You Were Punk" albums? Pretty sure Vagrant put those out too but it was all punk bands doing 80s covers...those were so good!
i have not but I will absolutely get my hands on them!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well I'm seriously trying to get out of my funk, so instead of being depressed till I go to work this evening, I took all the stuff that didn't get used from the festivities this weekend, and making a decent lunch for myself. I know it seems small and meeningless but for me I feel like cooking for myself forces me to get off the couch. Where I live you can get literally anything from any country delivered to the house within 20/30 mins.

image-2079798192.jpg

I chopped scallions and onions and pressed them into the patties, and hand made the vegi kabab, a balsamic glaze over the vegis...fresh grown corn as well. For a guy in his mid 20s I can pull off a meal
I'm just trying to not be the same every day, and this is different...
Old 05-28-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

Oh, you all post so much!! I don't how to keep up...

But about the sugar thing. For now, I'm replacing alcohol with sugar. Which yes, kind of the same thing. I think they both convert to ethanol or something in the body? I have to start to taper off soon.... or go cold turkey.... I can't be on sugar forever. I'm definitely a sugar addict. In the past, when I went off sugar, I was SO HAPPY and had SO MUCH ENERGY.

I always wondered how people could live without it.... that's because I thought that the way I felt going off it the first week, is how I would always feel. I thought it would always be a super strong craving? But nope. After awhile, that basically disappears. Just occasional cravings. Usually manageable, though. And if you're not eating refined carbs, but healthy fats and protein, then it's even easier. Oh, and a ton of broccoli.

And yes, alcohol makes me act far worse and can have more dangerous immediate consequences than sugar... but sugar is still really dangerous for me.

Sugar makes me depressed, have super high anxiety (and I'm in therapy right now to try and *lower* my anxiety, so...), it causes other physical health problems, and weight problems, eating disorders, etc. It's just overall NOT GOOD. But I figure, as I'm quitting alcohol, that I will replace this addiction with that one, temporarily. I'm not against that.

But there comes a time (for me) to go off that, too. And I will have have some groups, a therapist, and other stuff in my life, so hopefully I can transition better. In the future, I guess yeah if I'm super tempted to drink, I would rather turn to sugary something. But really, that's not ideal... Sugar is DANGEROUS for me. It really is.

Blah blah blah...

Anyway. As usual, hope everyone is doing well.

Oh and about weed. Whenever I've tried it, I would have super horrible panic attacks. In fact, it might be what started my massive anxiety problem (I mean, I was always anxious and shy, but working and such.... after weed, my anxiety was like NOPE! Do nothing! Nothing is safe....)

So. Other people have had anxiety on it? Because I know some say it helps anxiety, but others, I guess it makes worse...
Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yes, cleaning was easier with a little music and a glass or 4 of wine.
I have P90x workouts. I'm in day 6 (about 2 weeks into it!) I think I'm sluggish from recovery, but I hear it gets better! And to think I used to think wine helped me be more motivated and energetic! You just talked me into doing my P90x video for today! Xoxox!!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

ST- look great! Yum!band healthy too!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucrezia View Post
Oh, you all post so much!! I don't how to keep up... But about the sugar thing. For now, I'm replacing alcohol with sugar. Which yes, kind of the same thing. I think they both convert to ethanol or something in the body? I have to start to taper off soon.... or go cold turkey.... I can't be on sugar forever. I'm definitely a sugar addict. In the past, when I went off sugar, I was SO HAPPY and had SO MUCH ENERGY. I always wondered how people could live without it.... that's because I thought that the way I felt going off it the first week, is how I would always feel. I thought it would always be a super strong craving? But nope. After awhile, that basically disappears. Just occasional cravings. Usually manageable, though. And if you're not eating refined carbs, but healthy fats and protein, then it's even easier. Oh, and a ton of broccoli. And yes, alcohol makes me act far worse and can have more dangerous immediate consequences than sugar... but sugar is still really dangerous for me. Sugar makes me depressed, have super high anxiety (and I'm in therapy right now to try and *lower* my anxiety, so...), it causes other physical health problems, and weight problems, eating disorders, etc. It's just overall NOT GOOD. But I figure, as I'm quitting alcohol, that I will replace this addiction with that one, temporarily. I'm not against that. But there comes a time (for me) to go off that, too. And I will have have some groups, a therapist, and other stuff in my life, so hopefully I can transition better. In the future, I guess yeah if I'm super tempted to drink, I would rather turn to sugary something. But really, that's not ideal... Sugar is DANGEROUS for me. It really is. Blah blah blah... Anyway. As usual, hope everyone is doing well. Oh and about weed. Whenever I've tried it, I would have super horrible panic attacks. In fact, it might be what started my massive anxiety problem (I mean, I was always anxious and shy, but working and such.... after weed, my anxiety was like NOPE! Do nothing! Nothing is safe....) So. Other people have had anxiety on it? Because I know some say it helps anxiety, but others, I guess it makes worse...
i hear ya, sugars do effect people in all sorts of ways too to different extremes as well. My sugar level actually drops if I don't eat or am running around like crazy, so a candy bar or something sweet is necessary or I'll collapse, but I'm also really thin so it would really be me commenting on something I kinda can't relate to...I was at 20 beers a day so ANYTHING seems better to me other then more drugs and booze...hang in there tho! It's a tough battle I def know that
Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3777 View Post
ST- look great! Yum!band healthy too!
thanks! It was great and disappeared rather quick which was is a good sign
I do love my sweets and snacks but try to eat veggies too, Even more now that I am trying to "get better"
It was rewarding in my stomach and in the sense that I'm forcing myself to do something. Anything! Just not sitting and thinking all day
Old 05-28-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

ST- Your motivating me to get some things done, too! Thanks! I think as we heal from the constant barrage of unhealthy feel good things.. Booze, whatever, ... It's fun to see us all finding new healthy feel good things... It's slow for me sometimes and I've spent more days than I thought I would thinking about all this instead of washing the car or whatever I should really be doing, but Im feeling a ome slight shift toward the healthy feel good stuff ! It helps it sunny out today and it started with a hike! Yea!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Maya Angelou died today, a lot of you probably already know that. I just came across this, and thought it was so beautiful I had to share it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (69.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Sorry for all the typos! iPhones crazy small keyboard is funny.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SolitaryThinker View Post
that sounds like an annoying type of addiction too, it's like ingrained in regular life, I could see that being an extremely difficult situation as well...my addiction was my world so I didn't care about anything else really...if I had a whole situation already there and having booze find it's way in and out I couldent imigine. It actually let's me look into my moms head a little more in a way, kinda see where she is coming from...
Also, be thankful that it is JUST booze, although it's a different battle with drugs but the two together make it even more "weird" in a way

"Ingrained in regular life" is right on. That's why I know I'm an alcoholic. Hearing peoples stories and being able to relate so well, seeing that It only gets worse, never better... It was like "a Christmas carol" when Scrooge gets a glimpse of the future and has a.chance to change. Very powerful group here!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

In fact Scrooge was just really a money addict !
Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
congrats on 31 days ... turtle !!

o whelmd, ... that's the way I see it too. ^
..I'll take any progress I can get, and call it good.

I wouldn't sweat the sugar thing this early y'all. I've lived for years after I got sober before with no sugar,.... It allowed me to eat like a bear, never having to worry about counting calories , or carbs , or God forbid ....weighing food.

I started off getting a little concerned because I would literally eat a whole cake or a full tray of cookies . Left me feeling kind of crappy for an hour or so , ..too !?!

I happen to find a little paperback in a thrift store talking about sugar addiction. Since I'm kind of gullible about health stuff, I just believed the whole thing !

What happened surprised me though. I began to get faster on my runs, and cycling. Wanted to eat more too, ,,,like bigger volumes, .. not that I was looking to do that necessarily, ..it just worked out that way.

After a couple years , it felt like I had mercury in my veins, ...so overall , a wonderful experience .

I seriously wouldn't worry about the sugar thing, if I we're y'all. Staying clean and sober trumps any work out, or diet related thing by miles, imo.
I can pm anyone back , if you're interested in any link I may have about the sugar thing, ...but I really don't care about the physiological aspects of it at all. It really kind of bores me to death.

it's a little like reading about the physiological details of sex, and orgasm
Like, ..... how dumb , right ?

What's next, !?! ....how the brain works when I bite into a ripe cantaloupe !?!

....I'll just take the cantaloupe.

and take my chances

Y'all have a great wed,. ,,semper strong fools

Thanks for the perspective ...as I sit here reading this while eating a chocolate chip scone
Old 05-28-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in to say Hi before I get some sleep.

ST, your meal looks very impressive. I'm glad to hear you're eating a bit better. That's got to be good for your body and mind.

3777, I definitely relate to your previous relationship with wine, that was me exactly.

I'm finding the association's I had with wine are slowly being worn down, it feels really good. I didn't even look at the drinks isles at the supermarket today, just went straight to the fruit juice. Yea!

I'm really tired for some reason, so I'm off to bed.
Take care everyone,
See you tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

ST - I wish that was my dinner! Looks amazing!