Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 17

Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Nice Shemp FBL
Thanks, Dee! I've always been a huge Stooges fan and I just recently picked up a DVD of the solo shorts that Shemp did for Vitaphone studios after he left the Stooges and before he re-joined the Stooges after Curly got sick. Anyway, that's why I've got Shemp on the brain
Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Happy B-day Jeni!! Hope you enjoy the show.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Jen! No one deserves one less! (think about it <wink>) Add another happily!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

happy birthday jen!
Old 05-25-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Overries.

I am still here, still sober, still kicking...

Jeni - Congratulations on your Bday, my friend!!! So so so happy for you!

I hope you will really treat yourself on this special day. Special treatment for a special person)

My best wished to all Overries. Hope you are having a good Sunday.

You won't believe but Evander Holyfield is visiting our gym again (I wonder, what they pay him for that). So, I maybe go and have another look at him today)

See you later)
Old 05-25-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you do MB - have a good day!

D
Old 05-25-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Would you guys have room for a sometime grouchy 54 year old alcoholic who has been sober for over a year now and feels secure enough in himself to finally acknowledge the fact.
He is having to live all over again and lighten up a bit, but i think he's on the mend.....
If your ok with that i'll tell him....
Gary
Old 05-25-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi all. Thank you for all your birthday wishes...I have just got home after the most amazing time. We stayed in this posh hotel (I don't really 'do' posh..I looked a bit out of place with my denim jacket and carrier bag full of snacks lol). It was great..the show, the meal, the room, everything...I've been thoroughly spoiled and will be impossible to live with from now on...

Have a great time at the gym MB. And hope you get to meet evander Holyfield...wow! x

Hello to Gary...all grouchy alcoholics welcome....it's a really great supportive group we've got here. Good to have you with us x

I suppose I'd better do some housework or something today...or maybe I will just rest...let me think..

Have a good Sunday friends xx
Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Re-Member

This weekend is an emotional one for me. Contemplative, affirmation by affirming my memories with them remain in my life.

Welcome aboard Gary! Sounds like all of us at just over a year. Like you, for me it was arrival, until I realized sobriety isn't a place but forward motion. A dynamic not a static. I get wrapped up in details and the many things to choose from. Steering is still my weak point because there are so many exciting and worthwhile things that I get sidetracked every time I move in one direction. I have finally discovered the joys of a zigzag life. I now pursue nothing because I have everything I need, and am only experimenting with what looks interesting, then, satisfied, I zag. I don't flatter myself that I am my higher power's influential higher power, but I am at cause, not effect in my life, sober. Just to let it be is worth every sober minute. The serenity prayer takes great strength to choose to change what we can. Accepting what I could not change was never about giving in, but walking away from those things where trying to be at cause, becomes tilting at windmills, making me at effect. Drinking was never a running away. It was my tool to be able to keep going back to things I can't change and keep bloodying my head against the same wall. Sobriety allowed me to take a step to the right, and open a door. To the world. I stopped going in a straight line through and over others, and learned to go around obstacles that could not be brute forced by will and sinew. And sometimes just to say excuse me if you will, I no longer excuse myself. I was alcohol's effect. I am sobriety's cause.

Jeni,
You deserved it. My goodness you look after those who look after the next generation! Herding cats is easier.

MB,
Hope you get some insights from the day and possibly from Holyfield himself.

Hey Dee!
How's the weather down there? You guys starting to get fall in the air?

I am procrastinating. I need to hitch up my big box blade and level out the potholes and bring the gravel back up to the surface. It is a good solid road bed three feet thick that has handled concrete trucks and 21 yard dirt trucks, but the flooding across two areas washes out the dirt. I need to lay in a culvert but my experience in building drainage is limited. Thus my procrastination. I know what to do and can level the drive. It is about 300 feet long so once again I am going to take the easy way out and redo the drive and perhaps after I can buy and figure out how to angle the grade of the land so all the drainage goes there and under the road bed. Once across the road it drains across the yard fine, and around the neighbor's house and down to the creek, the natural drain. Now that I have totally bored all, rest assured the eight hours or so it takes just to break it up and re-grade it is as boring as it gets, so I'll get mine. I need to hire the contractor I used to use for backhoe and dozer work when I was building steel buildings with slabs and compacted dirt pads. He can eyeball it and when checked later with a laser gets it perfectly. I can shoot it with a transit, but it takes a lifetime and the knack to do it by eye with heavy equipment. Lest this seem like a complaint, I grew up in the cities and flew a classroom in the AF and shot weapons a lot. I actually love getting out on the Ford tractor and play. It is really just a big Tonka Toy! Guys always like playing with Tonka toys. And moving some real dirt around is cathartic, so don't feel badly for me or take my griping as anything other than getting ready to make the earth move, my way.

Have a great Sunday guys. For those in the US, don't forget a moment of silence tomorrow to remember them at three pm local time if nothing else. They inspire gratitude. It is thanks given, not feeling sorry for them. Warriors know the job. We're Sheepdogs, only those left behind suffer. No glorification of the need for us. We'd rather not too.

Perhaps the below will help understand sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. A worthy meditation on our day to remember our sheepdogs.

On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs
By LTC (RET) Dave Grossman, author of "On Killing."
On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

I'm off to move some real dirt around.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hello
I been having a weird week, one of those were I used to look for excuses and drink.
no working is boring and only is one week. my daughters and first ex-wife making drama out of nothing and using me as a punching bag, been inside my head for to long for this alcoholic is not good and for some reason I feel ok. this day I'm learning to live life sober and drug free. I would like to have the insight that some people have for writing their thoughts it took me almost an hour to write this few words
Old 05-25-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Overries)

This day unexpectedly turned out to be a good one)

I've finally made it to the gym, and Holyfield gave a real masterclass there. It was super interesting. There was also a renowned trainer Colin Morgan. And I had a nice chat with him after the masterclass.

This time I decided I wanted a pic with Holyfield) And it took my friends three attempts to get a decent photo - I bet Holyfield would see me in nightmares after that)

Went to swimming then. Had a haircut later. And now it's beautiful evening...

Tomorrow I will face the day, and a lot of challenges waiting to be taken. But that will be tomorrow...

Afloatsober - Welcome to our club!

Jeni - So so so glad you are enjoying your time at this posh hotel)

My best wishes to all.

Have a great Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0179.jpg (40.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Gary

I think we skipped autumn Itchy lol...

D
Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome aboard Gary, we desperately need someone grumpy to counteract all the unnecessary frivolity here! Bring your own life jacket!

Hi guys, having mega fun in NOLA got another full day tomorrow and then drive back to Atlanta Tuesday.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Welcome from me too Gary. (((hugs))) ♥

Glad you had such a lovely time Jen!

Dee may not have had Autumn where he is, but 6 days before winter starts here, I can tell you Itchy one that this has been the most beautiful Autumn that Melbourne has seen for many years. The warmest no of days in May since 1972. As my job has me outside, I have been most appreciative!

erfra ~ I so agree it is hard not working. Hopefully you will find something else soon. I'm glad you feel OK though. (((hug)))

Ooo Midnight, how exciting. That's a story you will be telling for a very long time...a masterclass with Evander Holyfield....WOW!!!! And he looks amazing...he doesn't seem to age. And your arm is lovely!

Hello m'darlin toots.

I had a little surgery this morning, and I am in a fair bit of pain. The doctor handed me a script for some strong Codeine for when the anaesthetic (local) wears off. I said, um, no thank you. She said I know it's on your chart that you don't ever want addictive medication prescribed, but surely this is an exception? I said no thank you.

So here I am in some not-so-good pain, and I need distractions.
Luckily for me there is oodles to read on SR.

Love to all of the Overs,

V xx
Old 05-25-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Morning to my lovely friends. Erfra....I say just type out how you're feeling. Don't worry about how it might sound or what it looks like. Sharing when times are tough has saved my skin on more than one occasion. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hang in there

MB...look at you rubbing shoulders with celebs...how cool are you?!

Toots..glad you're having fun x

Venus.... Oh wish I lived round the corner, I would pop round and look after you. Was there nothing your doc could give you that isn't addictive? I hate to think of you struggling my sweet friend. Hang around SR...we will hold your hand

Happy Monday everyone. It's a bank holiday here in the UK, and I'm 2 years sober today! Thank you all for being a big part of my journey. Being here and posting every day is still mega important to me.

Special big thanks to Dee. You have held me up on many an occasion and I am eternally grateful xxx
Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

on 2 years sober Jeni love!!!! Awesome job girl! ♥♥

(I am taking paracetamol, nice and harmless, no prescription required.)

Love V xx
Old 05-26-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Two years is great, congrats Jeni.

Venus,
Hope that Paracetamol is working for you. Oh! Just looked it up, we call it Tylenol in the US, or Acetominephen. I use Naproxin Sodium (Alleve, but the prescription 500 mg, or Aspirin.

MB!
Wow! Great pic to have. That worked out well! Good on you!

I am up at 4:45 AM. Got one hour last night. I overdid it yesterday but got my drive re-graded, all the property cut and trimmed. Doing a gravel drive makes for lots of dust until it packs, so I needed to wait for certain rain in the forecast, and we will be getting four inches or more with rain from Tuesday to Saturday. I did some blade work to correct some drainage issues and will see if I need to dress it some more.

Hope all have a good holiday tomorrow that celebrate one.

I need to get some sleep. This is so unlike me.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Gary, welcome to "the club"...always room for more!

Jen, congrats on 2 years sober...that is HUGE

Venus, hope you mend quickly.

Toots, you sure do get around...safe travels to you.

Itch, get to bed old man

Everybody else, have a great Monday!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

welcome to the over's family gary

and happy memorial day
Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

jeni congra.
venus get well soon.
let's see what this day bring ...