Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I'm definitely not wasting away Freein

Obosob I'm not into sport at all, so no worries here LOL

D
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good morning, Fools! Day 2 here for me. While it stinks that it's not day 27 or whatever, I can't change that. And anyway, I'm feeling good! This week should be 'easy' until a Saturday night dinner out with friends.

But I agree with whoever said it earlier - I would often be fine having nothing (or little) to drink while out, as long as there was wine waiting for me at home. So silly.

And I, too, am going to re-focus on some fitness. I am running just a couple times a week because of my foot (still hurts!) so I'm going to grab my workout DVDs from my Mom over Memorial Day weekend and hopefully kick those off next week. But regardless, yeah I only aim for 30 minutes!!! LOL.

And I hope I didn't bother anyone by posting the link to Alphaomega's thread - I myself find that I do have to remind myself, by reading, how totally NOT FUN being a wino WAS. Past tense.

My 4 year old 'graduates' from preschool tomorrow morning. It's such a blessed relief to KNOW that I will wake up hangover free to attend.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Day 22 for me I need to read through your posts from this weekend but first wanted to say how happy I am that I got through another weekend alcohol-free and this time with no major AV issues! Life is good right now
Old 05-19-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning Fools.

Adna you are strong, I am glad I am not facing that temptation this early on.

Good for you Mariah, I hate that it took me so long to realize that the simple things are the most important.

Free don't worry about being the straggler, we will wait for you. Just skip your way along. We will leave no one behind, even if we have to carry them.

Obosob I like the LOTR reference. Congrats on 24.

Kat, the important thing is you are still fighting. Have a great at the graduation tomorrow.

I think I must have over did it this weekend, I am sore right now but I don't mind. Pain is the body's way of telling you you're still alive.

Everyone have a great day/night.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Congrats GT.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Looks like everyone's doing so well! ST, you ok? Up, looks like you might finally be getting some sleep this morning?

Kittenme- I thought about your "humans have strange customs" quote this morning- made me smile. Your personality so reminds me of one of my brothers. He's a sweetheart, by the way.

Anyway, I've decided to go for it today. I'm going to plan an awesome day. Not just a "get by" or "ok day" but a really good one. I think that shift in focus is part of what I need to get out of my rut.

Doesn't mean I'm going to climb Mt Everest or anything. Like a few have said, it comes down to the small details, really. I feel like I've been super blessed to have had some big, cool experiences in life. And those are good too.

But especially for this season, I think it's about really settling in and being present and making the most of what I already have...

Love you guys- hope its a great Monday for us all!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Thing is izzy I felt better with less sleep. I was lurking for a while before posting too.

Good for you, life is too short to "get by."
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Go for it, Izzy! Great attitude!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

ST and Kat - Sorry to hear you had slips this weekend but you both made the right decision to come right back here! I've had many slips and am still worried about another at some point in the future just because this disease is so insidious. You always have to have your guard up. I've had stray thoughts lately about me coming up on a month on Sunday and how I can "treat" myself. Our neighbor is having his annual Memorial Day party this weekend which is filled with a ton of people gourging on food and booze. Thankfully, I live across the street and can walk home when I start feeling crummy. Usually I get super cranky because I can't drink - just as others have said - I suffer from I Might Miss Out syndrome. I can't chanting "I never regret NOT drinking" to myself.

This weekend I opened up to a friend about quitting drinking. This is the first person outside my family I've told. This is someone who I think has a problem herself (even her parents have made comments to me). We talked about it and she was positive about my choice. Maybe it will spur her to quitting too who knows. Another friend's 40th bday is coming up and she wants me to come because I'm the "life of the party". This is a friend, however, who has been fortunate enough to have not seen me at my obnoxious worst when drunk. I'm afraid to tell her I quit.

Up - Whereabouts do you live in DE? I go down to the Rehoboth area alot in the Summer since my aunt/uncle retired there. I love hanging out down there It's so beautiful and relaxing!

I hope everyone is great! Have a wonderful week
Old 05-19-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

GT - The fact I came right on SR I think helped to prevent a slip longer than 1 night. I love the "I Might Miss Out Syndrome"! It's true. I have a dinner Saturday night but also completely blanked that it's Memorial Day weekend. I think it's going to be a tough(er) weekend than normal for lots of people. I'll have to sign up for the Weekend Thread, too! GT, just come up with a different "treat" for getting to a month. Plan it now! A fun purchase?

I know I'm over-analyzing this, but now I'll have my milestone days come on a weekend, so maybe I'll be less likely to cave on the weekend. Does that make any sense? Like I'll hit day 7 this Saturday...anyway. It's nice to swing a positive out of this lol. Best case would have been no slip at all, of course.

I'm over this rain! My kids are making me want to poke my eyeballs out!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

No eye ball poking people Great Day All - Off & running!! Day 35
Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

GT I live north of Dover about an hour away from Rehoboth, depending on traffic.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Izzy, I love your plan to have an awesome day, I'm going to put a post-it in the bathroom tonight, to remind myself tomorrow morning to have an awesome day. In fact I'm going to start now, planning an awesome evening.

Obosob, I love the Lord of the rings, youre so right Gollum is most definitely my addicted self. Frodo will win though!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I've just had an idea about possible ways to challenge that thought "I might be missing out if I can't drink". Maybe try to remember another decision we've made in the past which we knew would lead to long term gain, but meant some short term pain, and try to remember the strategies we used then.

I actually found thinking of scenarios quite difficult, which makes me wonder if I'm not great at delayed gratification. However I have come up with a few.

In my case I can think of things like, working through college to avoid a debt while everyone else was having fun, saving money to buy my first bicycle when everyone else was spending money on trendy clothes, spending the summer studying for a qualification when everyone as was down the beach, getting out of bed early to train for a half marathon,......I'm sure there must be more?

Anyway, for each of these things, I realised that the pain of not achieving what I wanted would far outway the pain of going without for that small period of time.

I'm wondering if the same could apply in the case of addiction. When that voice comes and whines saying "Oh, I'm missing out here", perhaps replace it with the conviction that "I'm on my journey to a healthier, brighter future". Have something concrete to look forward to, that we know we will eventually achieve if we just stick to our game plan.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
No eye ball poking people Great Day All - Off & running!! Day 35
Yes mom.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

UP, that's so funny
Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post

Anyway, for each of these things, I realised that the pain of not achieving what I wanted would far outway the pain of going without for that small period of time.
This is a really good point. If we want to worry about missing out on anything, worry about missing out on all the long-term good things we can't achieve while we're drinking. At least for me, my life goes nowhere when I'm drinking. All I end up with is short-term pleasure and that gets really unsatisfying really quickly.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I never thought to think that way free, us addicts tend to focus on instant gratification not caring about the consequences.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good morning! I'm feeling a bit slow this morning, I'll respond more after a while!

I'll leave you with this... (my son (7yo) brought this to me yesterday, I had to share)

They made me grin like a madwoman when I got up this morning. What a sweetie, he is normally my very mischevious one. He came in and said "I got these for you Mom! And I even picked the bugs off!" lol.