Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 8

Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

So glad that things are good for you Adna......I'm sure the flowers are smelling a bit sweeter today Glad too, that you had a friend standing by you as you went through this.

Great goin on 40 days Stormi, Up, 3777, abetterlife I'm right behind you with 40 in the morning!!

ST - that is a good idea to keep that & post it where you can read it & remember where you want to be....I wish that for you.

Noolan.....your "lurking" here...how are you doing?

MrsBee...DON"T LEARN TO MOW THE LAWN.....PRETEND LIKE YOU JUST CANT DO IT Enjoy your day planting with your Mom.

Freein...ENJOY your time - Thank You too for sharing your thoughts & suggestions with us all!!

Hope you are feeling better soon Luce & glad you are here.

Kat, Pan, 377, Kitten, Izzy & everyone else, wishing you a great sober week-end

I'm really looking forward to a long, sober week-end. Have my gardening project I am going to start tomorrow evening (got some advice from the neighbor gardener tonight)....And plan on spending Saturday just being home & working on that...trip to the coast with Son & his family on Sunday. I am feeling grateful that the desire to drink is very little this last week....have been 'highly" irritated though, which I don't like, but is what it is. It is late....going to call it a night. Stay strong All!!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Overwhelmed....I think that is AWESOME that you shared that with your boss & let him know how you were feeling about things. I bet he has HUGE respect for you for that...I know I do
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

I am snuggled up in bed thinking. (OH NO!)

ST- I know you were quite young when your Dad died. We're you ever treated for grief?
Untreated bereavement can last a lifetime and manifest itself in myriads of ways.
My reaction to the suicide of my daughter was to stuff my emotions, and numb them with alcohol.
I belong t o a great group of people who have survived this type of loss. You'd be surprised at how much grief effects your behavior ,choices, and thought patterns. I fell you would benefit from such a group which has a ton of resources. We.survivorsroad2healing.com
Old 05-22-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
I am snuggled up in bed thinking. (OH NO!) ST- I know you were quite young when your Dad died. We're you ever treated for grief? Untreated bereavement can last a lifetime and manifest itself in myriads of ways. My reaction to the suicide of my daughter was to stuff my emotions, and numb them with alcohol. I belong t o a great group of people who have survived this type of loss. You'd be surprised at how much grief effects your behavior ,choices, and thought patterns. I fell you would benefit from such a group which has a ton of resources. We.survivorsroad2healing.com
no I haven't, when I did I was way too young to retain or understand any of it...I can see that being an issue for me as well, I'm laying down to bed now and I'm gonna check that out the second I wake up, thanks a million <3, I'm so gonna get past this....thank you so so much...I hve been doing the same, it's a lot of unanswered questions and def a lot of crappy feelings and guilt I never dealt with, and I'm taking it out on myself also for sure...thanks for the site I wish it wasn't 2 am, not enough hours in the day!
Goodnight all, see y'all tomorrow when I wake up <3
Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

I've also been mixing fruit juices with sparkling water. I have Apple, grape and mixed berry juice which is lovely with water. It looks like rose wine, and imo tastes much much better. I find myself guzzling it thinking "slow down, it's not wine you know!". I can't believe how quickly I used to polish off a glass of wine.

UP, Stormi, 3777, abetterlife, and Mariah, congratulations on 40 days

ST, let us know who JTH are, I'm intrigued too. I'd love something like that to be happening over here.

Is anyone planning a holiday over the summer? I'm in the process of deciding where to go, but in the past holidays have always been an excuse to drink even more than usual. I hated returning work feeling tired, and unhealthy. I'm a bit worried about the association I have between holidays and alcohol. It's not for some time but it's in the back of my mind as a possible threat to my sober journey.

I'm intending to have an outdoor day today, after I've done a bit of housework. Lots of peppermint tea, and plenty of kindle time. This is my kind of day.

Hope everyone's doing well, and looking forward to a healthy, sober, restful weekend.

See you later.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Evening all, end of day 27.....
Out to dinner last night with the family. Alcoholic uncle offering drinks to me the whole night. Upset me bigtime, he knows I've had trouble with the drink and am trying to do something about it.
He's a good guy sober, but misery loves company I guess.
Tomorrow is the end of 28 days at home with Mum.
I've got a flight at 2.00pm back to Hong Kong.
I hate flying.
Since Dad died I've had panic attacks on the plain. The first time was the day after his funeral, they stopped the plane on the run way, asked if I wanted to go back through immigration (6 hours apparently), or face the 9 hour flight.
I stayed on the plane, the most difficult 9 hours mentally I've ever had!
When I say panic attacks, I mean real panic attacks, crazy fear of what, I still dont know...!
To be honest I'm scared. This is the first flight I've had alone in 3 years, my wife has been there on every flight. Not this time. This time I must face my fears alone.
I've been living in HK for the past 6 years almost. I live on a small island 20 min by boat from Central.
It's now time to go back and face everyone as a man trying to change. This is going to require humilty, honesty and sincerity, 3 things I lack once I've had a drink...
I'm worried what they all will think.....
I worry too much about what other people think of me.....
I created a new me (like an international version of the same idiot really) when I arrived in Hong Kong years ago.
Wild, angry, reckless would do it justice and now with a new haircut, 28 days sober and a willingness to try and change, it's going to get a bit of feedback!
Another true test for me......
Thank you to everyone in this april class for your support and inspiration. I couldn't have done this without your help.
I wont name names as I feel left out sometimes (what pople think again) when posts are sent to others as I read them and want to include all in the april fools gang!
But Dee74 whoever, whatever, wherever, THANKS...!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:47 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm in so many threads I don't even try to name check everyone anymore obosob LOL...but I do try and keep track of where everyone is.

SE Asia has its own set of challenges for sure but the principle is the same whether its Kowloon or St Kilda.

Be proud of the man recovery is allowing you to be.
Never let yourself be sucked back into something you know is fundamentally wrong for you

not everyone will always understand - but the important people in your life will

and keep on posting here - you're part of the family Obosob

D
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.....and good luck to everyone who is facing the long weekend, north of here...well I guess every where is north of here....!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hi Obosob,
Wow; you are so very courageous! Your situation brings to mind a quote, I'm not sure of the author,
"All great men of courage have fear, they press on in spite of fear."

I used to worry incessantly what other people thought. Somewhere along the road, I picked up this mantra, "what you think of me, is none of my business."
Most times, human's are absorbed in their own woes to consider what's up with us.
Those who judge, don't matter. Those that matter, don't judge.
I will be praying for a peace full flight for you.Congratulations on 28 well done sober days. Hold your head up high, be proud and courageous.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Stormi: Thanks I'll write both of these quotes and use them. I'm going to need a fair bit courage. I feel like the Lion in the Wizard of Oz.........
Old 05-23-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Obosob,

I've experienced two reactions from telling people I'm trying to change. Surprisingly a good friend who I thought would be totally behind me said "but you're just living a life of deprivation"! Yet most other people have been really positive and encouraging. I think, for some people, if they see someone else making better choices it just highlights their own need to change, and they don't want to think about changing themselves. It's much easier if everyone is sinking in to mire together!
Your new life will blow them away in HK. it will be interesting to see the reaction from your friends.

Congratulations on 4 weeks.

I hope your flight goes well, make sure you stick with us fools when you get back to HK!

Hope everyone's having a good day or is sleeping well.

See you later.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's another one for ya obosob

Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Love the quotes, Stormi and Dee.
Thank you
Old 05-23-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks freein - hope you have a great weekend

D
Old 05-23-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

What a way to wake up early, ...reading all the great things going on with you guys, in your sobriety, and witnessing the miracles happening real time.

Obo, ....your doing great, man

Freein, .... Bet that was a surprise !?! I think your right, on the " for some people, if they see someone else making better choices it just highlights their own need to change, and they don't want to think about changing themselves"

That's like someone thinking your skipping rope is a deprivation of comfort and relaxation. Why in the world would anyone want to exercise , for goodness sakes ?

Stormi , ...the idea of , "what other people think of me is none of my business" has been one of the most liberating concepts for me ever.
Thanks for that next wonderful quote also , ...so , so true.

"Those who judge, don't matter. Those that matter, don't judge."

I heard someone say ," if they knew just one single thing , or event about a person , it would change their whole impression of them"
....that's why they were never able to judge folks harshly , like they used to.

Mrsbee, .. you had me smiling yesterday with the mowing business. If your neighborhood is giving out ribbons for the most well kept lawn , I see some coming your way !?!

Mariah , ...Have fun on that trip to the coast Sunday, ... y'all have me feeling a little like a slug with my landscaping . I have wild blackberries ( or dewberries , maybe ? ) this time of year. Just have to get to them before the blackbirds do, everyday.
Bush hogging is off the table until they're done next month.

Pan , Applekat, 3777, and kittenme, thanks for the inspiration to start riding again,
Yesterday was a "rest day" but managed around 7 easy miles running errands on the bike. I have an expandable trunk pack to carry a few things, so it's fun. What a great feeling cruising by long lines of cars at drive-thrus , or jammed parking lots in shopping areas on a beautiful day like yesterday. Everyone is setting there in their cars with the windows rolled up, the AC hummin' , ...hopefully they're listening to some good music, anyway !?!
I felt light as a butterfly. ....

Thanks again for all the wonderful posts ,

and Adna , ...what a relief to have the good news !!

Y'all have a beautiful day, everyone single one of you lionhearted Fools
Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning everyone,.

I lost two different posts so I will keep it short. Thanks for the quotes, definitely worth remembering.

Hope everyone has a safe and sober day/night.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

While I am thinking of it, congrats Mariah on 40 days.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today no matter what it is

D
Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Obo - courage sent your way. Remember, the lion is brave when he has to be and he doesn't even realize it.
Seriously, that's my favorite movie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (57.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread - join us here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-9-a.html

D