Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 32

Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Carlos, that little boy about melted my heart! Thanks for sharing that. How completely cute is he!

Love your posts, never fail to bring a smile to my face. Good luck with the wheels. You're going to be in great shape riding that all over the place!

Gilmer, thanks for all the good cheer and I hope your daughter has an easy time.

DG, congrats on your new ride.

Pan, congrats on 4 weeks.

Thanks for remembering me toots and everyone else I didn't get to mention, I do remember you!

Aly xxoo
Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

DG congrats on the car!

Carlos I caught that video on the news this morning. Sneaky kid giving the girl the ball he already had and not the one tossed to him!!

Listening to some Lily Allen this afternoon drinking some iced tea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-2650276479.jpg (63.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-19-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

QUOTE="Alysheba;4661024"]
I've been dealing with fatigue, low motivation, headaches, low grade depression.
[/QUOTE]

Aly - Me too, except trade headaches for anxiety attacks. I will tell you I do feel better with every passing week. I am tons more engaged in life than I was the first month sober, but I'm still in my head a lot. I'm not as active as I was when I drank and I've been eating a lot more sugar. The sugar craving is starting to ease.

Gilmer - I've always wanted to witness a birth. With my first child, I had an epidural. With my second, I chose not have a lick of painkiller. I don't recommend that. I hope the birth is safe and healthy for mom and child, and that the older sibling has a peaceful transition into siblinghood.

I'm happy to hear you were able to process through your hurt feelings sober, and come to a peaceful resolution. Your hard work is paying off.

DG - I hope you're enjoying your new car.

Courage - After reading the Soul Sickness article I took the good doctor's advice and took my lunch break outdoors, at the head of the trail of a nature preserve around the corner from where I work. I put my phone away, observed my surroundings, and made an effort to stay in the moment.

Carlos - I have to admit to never having a bike past the age where they come with more than 1 speed. I'd need to practice before hitting streets with motor vehicles. A lake location sounds just right for cruising around all summer.
Good luck with your cooking and all the other prep for the meeting tomorrow.

SilentCinemaFan - I second, third and fourth the advice to keep SR close when you're struggling. The undies always have something supportive to offer when one of us is down.

Goldcoastgirl - Its good to see you here. How are you doing? Has your daughter returned from her trip to the States?

Toots - There is a ginger in my class. He is a sweetie pie and I have no doubt that you would eat him up.

Else - I wonder if a visit to an osteopath or another type of alternative healthcare provider, would alleviate some of your physical symptoms of Soul Sickness?

Babs - I agree that everything is better with babies! The way Else and Aly feel about horses is how I feel about babies.

BoozeFree - It sounds like your routine and your pup continues to bring you a lot of peace.

Tanja - How are the many meetings you are working on? Tonight was one I attend. I found myself in the predicament of not wanting to listen to 20 minutes of passages from the Big Book. I know there are other meetings, but after work, kids, dinner and cleaning, I don't feel like going meeting shopping, you know? The convenience of SR and the fellowship among the threads, especially this one, has made it possible for me to manage my schedule and be there for my sons while in recovery.

My boys will get a kick out of the baseball Casanova because don't ya know, girls have cooties! They don't deserve the real ball!

The start of today was pretty low for me. I woke up feeling dull, unmotivated and disengaged, as is often the case. In recovery my answer to this blah state of mind has been coffee or sweets, and I need to cut back on both. Taking my afternoon break outdoors, one of the treatment protocols for Soul Sickness, helped me rally the couple of stray spirits inside me, enough to spark some interest in taking care of myself by drinking enough water, doing my daily exercise tape, engaging in the world around me instead of escaping into a book, and making a tasty dinner. NOT perfection at all, but certainly progress.

I hope you all have a good night!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Gleefan, thank you for sharing that with me and the support. I have a ton of anxiety too. I'm sorry you're suffering too, I sure know it's not a fun space to be in. I'm going to see my therapist tomorrow. She's really good but I only get to see her every two weeks and let's face it, it only helps so much. I'm on antidepressants too, so maybe they need some adjusting. It's hard when I barely feel up to leaving the house some days.

Hang in. You sound fairly productive, which is good. I'm pushing myself, but I seem only capable of so much.

Thanks again. The kindness here is so helpful. Aly xxoo
Old 05-20-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Welcome back, GCG! Glad you are well!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Welcome and thanks for the check in GCG!

Nothing shaking too much here. Car is working for the most part and I got a new smart phone to figure out. The old one was a no-contract one and it was having lots of issues. The next monthly payment was Friday and I thought I needed to act or wait another month.

Now the fun of figuring everything out.

Have a good one Undies!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three weeks sober, LTV!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Glee - I loved the picture you posted of your son and the fireworks. It looked like they had a blast. In terms of the meetings that I have service positions there are three. Thursday, I am the secretary for the start of a new group "childs play" where mothers are encouraged to bring their children. It is at 10:00 am and it was a vey small group with just six people. I have another service position the same night at 8:00 p.m a speakers meeting where I am the secretary. I also lead a meeting on Sunday where we discuss stories in the grapevine. I have attended Wednesday evening commuter meeting which is a big book meeting. I prefer the personal stories that are read. It sounds like you had a really good plan in place to combat feeling unmotivated and deal with soul sickness. I know for me, being outdoors, exercise and things to pamper myself (a good book, a tasty meal, a bubble bath) are great ways to soothe my soul.

Wishing everyone a peaceful and sober Tuesday!

Toots - Thank you for asking about me. I finally did get caught up on sleep. I spent the last 3 days just pounding the sleep, but still feeling horrible. I think my mistake was being overtired on Friday and not listening to my body. I tried to grind the fatigue away on the treadmill as I do every day. Instead I should have taken the time to just rest.

((Silentcinemafan ))- I am so sorry that you feel so stressed, headachy and tired. It's good that you have only two more weeks of school left. Thank goodness you have a good plan in place for seeking another job that will lessen your stress load. Stress is a huge trigger to feeling like drinking. They say to seek low stress jobs in early recovery.

Gilmer - Kudos to you my friend for stretching an emotional muscle and acknowledging that you had been hurt and pointing out why. It doesn't matter that it may not have been delivered in the best fashion. The fact is that you showed emotional growth in trying to resolve a situation in a healthy fashion. I am glad that things worked out. You should be very proud of yourself.

((Alsyheba)) - I hope that the feelings of fatigue, low motivation, headaches and low grade depression pass soon. I can relate to those feelings so well. I hope your therapist provides you with some relief.

Carlos - I loved the picture of your bike! It sounds like a great way to get those endorphins going strong. It sounds like you have a busy day with a dinner, fundraiser and speaker meeting. I hope that you thoroughly enjoy yourself.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi undies quick check in.
Got called into work early and jut woke up so running late
Will catch up later!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Gilmer, how lovely for your granddaughter to get Grandma to herself while baby brother is being born. How does she feel about having a little brother?would she prefer a puppy??

Courage, I read the article, it makes a lot of sense. Similar things have been considered for a while, as we have forgotten the holistic approach to healing.
I know I am not the only one to often feel like I'm waiting to be 'caught out' or 'seen through' at my attempts at adulthood. It is so easy to focus only on getting through the day, we forget to take time out to spoil ourselves, or to just breath in the air and look around.
Dogs and kids are good for that, you have to take them out and about. I love showing my grandson fascinating things, one of my favourite photos is he and I crouching down examining a shell on a beach, it had a hermit crab in it and I was explaining how the find bigger shells as they grow. That moment is trapped in time, and when I see it, I feel the breeze, hear the waves, and feel the love.

Carlos, I have indeed sung many a verse of Lily the Pink, it brings back lovely memories for me, not involving alcohol!! Enjoy your Lily!

Elsie, I do not have ginger hair. I had enough to be picked on as a kid, being ginger would have just about put the tin hat on it! My gson has ginger flashes in his hair, more noticeable in the summer, I have some reddish lights in summer too. I call it Strawberry Blonde, my hubby says in ginger. My hubby has a death wish. I am not Scottish by birth, so don't have the Gaelic ancestry that lends itself to red hair, fiery tempers, fair skin and freckles.

Carlos, that boy will go far in politics! Smooth, sneaky, gorgeous, and charismatic what more does he need?
Enjoy your fundraiser, are you speaking?

DG, I commented elsewhere, but again, I wish you long, safe and happy travels with your new baby.

GCG, good to see you are still going strong, it would be lovely to see more of you.

Aly, the early days can be an emotional rollercoaster, the likes of which we haven't had to deal with before. On one hand, I had a real 'grief' over accepting I would no longer have my constant companion in my life, on the other, I was chuffed and proud to be moving down my sober road. Then there are the chemicals, the normal ups and downs of life and of 'normal emotions' Yada Yada, hardly surprising a lot of folk struggle to stick to the route. You are doing the right thing by staying close, and owning your struggles, just putting it down in black and white used to help me immensely, but the return posts of support always lifted me.

BFree, I love Lilly Allen. Her songs are so from the heart. I love her dad Keith as an actor too.

Gleefan, isn't it great how doing one wee thing differently and doing it for ourselves totally lifts our spirits! Oh, oh! Engage in the world instead of burying in a book, timely reminder for me I feel. I have been doing too much of that lately both with reading and writing. I need to winkle myself out of my comfortable isolation.

Drake enjoy your new phone, and I'm glad your car is behaving.

Tanya, I'm glad you caught up on some sleep, and you are not alone in not listening to your body's needs I'm sure, I know I ignore what I should or shouldn't be doing frequently. Eg I am sitting here writing on threads instead of doing my exercises, and if I do this for much longer, I won't exercise at all. And then when I eat the yummy chocolate later, instead of it feeling like a lovely reward, I will feel guilty and fat!

I think that was my cue to leave so happy Tursday one and All if I haven't named you, meh! ( oh, kidding of course, big loves xxx)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thank you toots!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Carlos,
Sweet new ride!!! I love the color! Headed out for a bike ride myself today.

DG,
Congrats on the car!

Gilmer,
A new grand baby! How exciting!

Hi everybody,
I've been trying to read along with you a bit but haven't been able to keep up very well. Working 10 hour days. Finally my weekend starts now. Hubby has been gone for a big bike race event for the last 10 days. We sent stepdaughter to stay with her mom during this time, and she has since run away. We found out she was staying with friends, but her mom isn't chasing her down so I guess we wait and see. Apparently she wanted to stay there in Colorado with her friends instead of getting on the flight back here. She'd been sneaking out and doing drugs and who knows what the entire time with her mom. It's unfortunate because her mom provides her with quite a bit and she doesn't appreciate it. At least now her mom might have to be the one who deals out the consequences when she returns instead of me trying to deal with her.

Work has been keeping me out of trouble. Haven't had time to think about going out or drinking. In my past drinking life with hubby gone so long I would have been out every night, with horrible hangovers and not accomplishing anything but being drunk all day long. Yuck! It feels good to be in a better place.

Off for my bike ride now. Have a great day undies!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Siesta---I have a step daughter and can relate to the tough times you are having with her now. Mine is now a mother herself and we get along pretty good. I do hope things get better for you. I understand where you are coming from.
Babs
Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thanks Babs,
I do hope that things turn out well for my SD. I would love to see her settle down when she's older and appreciate and enjoy her life in a healthy way. I remember being a teenager girl and being difficult also, but I never did anything that we're dealing with now. I just worry that she might do more permanent damage. Last year she cut her arms up really bad and she has nasty scars leftover from the incident, which is why her mom is hesitant to try any discipline with her now. And by discipline, I mean that her mom had revoked her internet privileges. It makes it tough to know how to handle her. I'm hoping that she sees she can't keep running away from consequences but so far that's exactly what she's doing and she's getting away with it.

Anyway guys, sorry to always be writing about my issues with SD. Not much else going on. I joke with my coworkers that I don't have a life outside work, but it's kind of true these days. Working, biking, eat, sleep, repeat.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Now the fun of figuring everything out.

Drake you're going to love your new iphone. It is the greatest!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hey Undies,

Wanted to pop in for a quickie.

Siesta, thanks for the complement on my new 2 wheels! Enjoy your ride today. Sending positive vibes your SD's way.

Glee, haha, yes, girls have cooties until your heart skips a beat. With me she even did it twice when she sent me a msg on fb a while back when my Dad passed. You never forget your first...that's a crush, Toots. Spin the bottle finally had meaning!

Tanja, glad you are feeling rested! Enjoy a service filled week at your meetings! You ROCK!

Toots, no, I am not speaking tonight. Keeping a low profile. Pretty excited though.

Drake, enjoy your new phone! Selfie away.

DG, cool ride!!

BF, womp womp! Cool label, too...no idea who the artist is though??

GCG, welcome back!

Ali, enjoy your appt w/ therapist tomorrow. My sessions always make me feel better. Hope you get out and about today as well.

Babs, you sound healthy! Glad you are back on the sober train!!

Hey Gilmer, how is the delivery going?

Oops, the time...gotta boogie!!

On the rebound, Undies!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Drake - A new phones is a lot of fun. My iPhone is the single most useful piece of technology I own. My husband and I have a running joke where he asks me I consult my "super phone" if he needs a piece of information and I inform him that it's not a super phone, rather I am a "super user." If only apple could figure out a way for it to burn calories....

Tanja - I wish your meetings were here (sigh). The fellowship of this thread really, truly gives me a lift. It propels me to keep moving forward in my sobriety. I've heard you use the term "progress not perfection." What I appreciate is that you show us that you're still learning and struggling, every day, just like us. It means a lot.

Dee - I read on the 24 hour thread that the other day was tough for you. I hope today is better. (((D))).

Siesta - The situation with your step daughter sounds so complicated, with two households with conflicting values. I am living proof, though, that peace, while not necessarily achievable in the short term, is possible some day. In the mean time continue to protect your sobriety, and keep enjoying your work - and cycling!!

Babs - It's nice seeing you more often on here.

Carlos - Looking forward to the recap on the banquet.

Gilmer - Is your daughter going to be induced tomorrow, or does it simply mark the beginning of a two week period of wondering when labor will commence?

I feel like I need to figuratively and literally shed the shield I've built around myself over these past three months. It's like the classic developmental challenge that kids face between gaining independence but needing their parents to keep them safe. I never did that. I only chose to stay safe. I want to take calculated risks, but I'm staying tethered to my sobriety, so if I get loose, please pull me back!

Love to all!!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Gleefan - todays looking a lot better

D
Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks Gleefan - todays looking a lot better

D
I'm so glad 'cause we needs & cherishes our Dee.

I had a long day because I don't seem to be sleeping very well anymore and I had to go to the Bronx this a.m. -- but that was fine, it was such a nice day that a long ride on the subway and seeing a bunch of high school kids was actually kind of a treat. Still at the office though after 7 p.m. here -- just administered a final exam.

Gleefan, staying tethered to sobriety is a good way to look at it. Did you ever see a kid on one of those kid-leashes?

Siesta, I'm sorry to hear that your stepdaughter's out loose -- untethered as it were -- but it sounds like she'll have to find her own consequences. I'm glad that she won't be a daily burden on you for now.

Toots, I'll bet you're looking forward to seeing your grandson again! And Molly!

Drake, you're brave to figure out a smartphone. Really, I mean it. I have a stupid phone and I still can't understand it. Nor did I ever understand my car when I had one. It made sounds like a squid when I started it, and I'd say, what? But it never answered intelligibly, so I ignored it.

(Alysheba). I hope your therapist visit goes well.

Gilmer, I'll be thinking of you & your daughter all day tomorrow!!!

Tanja, I'm amazed by all your service. I'm sure that's a big part of your success in sobriety. And a great help to others.

Carlos, I hope the meeting is terrific! This is a great rebound from your weeks of suffering.

Welcome, Goldcoastgirl!

Soberjim, what's going on with you?

Boozefree, Elseware, abcowboy, Dorothy, Babs, and all --
Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

aw shucks Courage LOL