Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 32

Old 05-18-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hello fellow undies,

Thanks for the welcomes here. Gilmer, thanks for the catch-up link - I really appreciate it although I still have not had the chance to catch up all you all.

My girls have already had a few epic tantrums this morning. Makes me want to tear my hair out (while running down the road screaming). Geez. I told them I am taking a 'time out' and am not to be talked to for 10minutes.

Did not work. So I will be back to read more about everyone's weekend and goings-on. Putting boots on an running outside as fast as I can. Burn off this adrenaline.

Take care undies!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Glee- Evaporative coolers (also known as swamp coolers cause they can start smelling like rotten fish) work off the principle that water evaporating will cool the air. They are rectangular- the bottom fills up with a couple of inches of water (hence the copper pipes courage was talking about breaking. Mine has plastic pipes which haven't broken, but where it attaches to the cooler it's been leaking for years and now the leg of the cooler is rusting and starting to fall apart.) Then they have side panels with lots of slits in them for the air to go through and you insert a pad on each panel (made of either little skinny wood straw-like pieces and netting or some sort of plastic foam-like stuff). Then there is a water pipe and tubing that pumps the water at the bottom up to the pads so it trickels down. Lastly, there is a fan that sucks the air in through the wet pads, cooling the air down and then blowing it inside.

They only work in places where it's not very humid, so a lot of people are unfamiliar with them. The big advantage to them is that they use a lot less electricity than standard air conditioners which use refrigerated air. Due to the wet environment inside, the things rust like crazy and they need repainted each year. And most of the time they put them up on the roof, so working on them takes endless trips up and down a ladder. Oh, and where I live, we have super hard water, so over the summer, with all the water evaporating and the minerals getting left behind by the end of the season, it's caked with mineral build-up which then needs scraped off before starting on painting them.

In short, they are a huge pain in the rear!!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

10 months without the weed today, so that makes 10 months clean and sober!!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Undies, Although I was born well into Title IX, I didn't ask to play sports, and my parents didn't offer the opportunity for me to play on teams. My autistic little guy manages well playing sports. Some kids on the autism spectrum have obviously clumsy motor skills, and while his strength is lower than normal, his movement is graceful. My younger son has average strength, but needs more practice than his brother to learn motor skills.

Last night I had a lovely evening out in the real world. Most of the group wasn't drinking. All the kids played capture the flag for hours. The adults swapped stories and laughed a lot. I shared a teensy bit about Needy. I didn't over share, smear her, dramatize the story, or portray myself as a victim. . Afterwards some folks were meeting up at someone's house to hang out a while longer, and my first reaction was to go, but I thought it through and *chose* to miss out to honor my need to wind down after a busy day.

image-2015406522.jpg

Today's plan is to remove birds that have nested in the eaves of my house and plug up some holes that a pesky woodpecker made which allowed that to happen. My job is to shoo away the mama bird from pecking at my husband.

Have a nice day Undies.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Carlos- I might just take you up on your offer! I'm not much of a skiier, but I do snowboard.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Glee- Funny, I too plan to clean the garage today. I'll be getting my new (used) car today/tomorrow and want to get it a parking spot in the garage ready. I've never parked my old car in the garage- too much stuff in there plus I never wanted to go to the effort as I don't have a garage door opener, but I want to keep the new car from getting sun damage. I think I will look into seeing what it would take to get an automatic garage door opener and possibly a new garage door.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

DG- CONGRATULATIONS ON 10 MONTHS OF BEING WEED FREE The growth that you have shown in the past year is simply amazing!

Gleefan - I am so glad that you had a good evening. Your son is simply precious.

Welcome LetheVerte This is a great group of people that will offer much support, wisdom and love.

Wishing everyone a peaceful and sober Sunday!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey everyone, I just want to thank you all for yesterday. It took some luck or grace and more than one alcoholic friend and a personal touch from someone in this group and a meeting and a minor meltdown and a wink from Dee but I didn't drink.

Remember, if you're struggling, you never HAVE to drink. There's always another option, even if it's just feeling your fears, tears, choking down ice cream, huddling under the blankets with SR, or calling someone to ask for help (did I mention fears?).

PS It strikes me a little strange the number of people who say about AA "I don't like meetings" or "I don't want to make phone calls." I don't like to drink, not for a long time. I don't particularly want to spend my Saturday afternoon on a park bench with a pint of vodka in a water bottle. For me, doing what I like isn't part of the equation. It's doing what will keep me sober, or giving in to alcoholic compulsion.

PPS Congratulations DG and congratulations to all on your positive, upbeat activities that celebrate the energy of recovery. But if you're new to the Undies, struggling, or coming back for the umpteenth time, don't be afraid to let it all out here. We're here for you in good times as well as bad.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
pray for strength

DG0409 - the cooler concept is totally fascinating! So that means there is no need for freon? I'm going to have to do some more reading on this subject for sure. Thanks for this. And congratulations as well about being without weed for 10months

Glee - love the pic. I have two little girls and I am so thrilled that they will never know what it means to not have title 9 or non-funded female sports teams alongside male. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. My life would be so different if not for organized activities for girls/women.

Also Glee - About the birds...this made me laugh. I had a cedar paneled house once where it was illegal to shoot woodpeckers. I'm not a horrible person but the battle I had with one particular woodpecker was so fierce I went to our local bird store and they sold me sound activated mechanical spiders. This was hilarious! These spiders dropping up and down. Hilarious for a good week and then the sneaky woodpecker outwitted the overpriced spiders.

And more Glee - Next try was going to be aluminum pie pans. We used those to keep birds away from cherries on cherry trees with these growing up and it was totally effective. Luckily we sold the house and the battle was over. A total relief. I had actually considered changing the siding on the back of the house... (forest. the only side the woodpecker pecked). But then I'm sure he would have moved to the other three sides. Argh!!

Courage - I did not realize that your day was challenging you so intensely. I am crossing my fingers for you that it was just a passing moment. If not hen please keep posting and asking for help here and from your other sources. Strength to you.

Soberjim - glad you found the thread.

Everyone I did not say 'hello' to...'hello' and hope the weekend has gone well. I'm going o stop writing now as I have written a lot for one post. I tend to do this. Thanks for being here everyone!!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey LTV, I guess the kids left you alone for a bit longer, or did you have to lock yourself in the Cludgie? ( oh, Cludgie is one of my most favourite words, it's a Scottish term for a toilet)

Courage, your words, so simple, so obvious, why do we find it so easy to enable ourselves to access drink, even going to the extent of being around people we wouldn't chose to or going against our morals or principles, and yet make it so hard on ourselves to attain sobriety. Drunk we wouldn't give a flying copulation for who we upset or used, sober we don't want to out anyone out??? We could be bothered to go miles out of our way to find a drink, yet we won't walk down the road and sit with a bunch of folk who want to help us remain sober.
Is it about reward? Gratification? Because now to me, alcohol wouldn't be a reward, it would be a huge self inflicted punishment from which I doubt I would recover, I don't think I could go back to another day one now. My reward, is to look in my mirror and like the person I see, my reward is to be here giving out; love, support, offence,whatever, just being here mostly.

DG, now I know what was involved, I am more impressed than ever. And you should be righteously proud of your cleaner cooler! And I can't wait to help you celebrate you first totally clean of everything other than Carlos smutty comments, in 2 months time.

Carlos, one day we Baberaham Lincolns are going to descend en masse and you will run screaming for the hills!

SJ, never doubted you would find your way to the new thread sweetie,

Babs, how are you doing?

Tanja, are you getting any sleep yet? I had a poor night last night but at least I know I will sleep tonight, unlike your condition which must be a nightmare ( or would be if you could sleep long enough to have one- irony not humour!) oxox

Gleefan, well done on your whole night, from your conversations to your ability to value yourself and your needs above your drinking thinking. Another step forward I feel.

Gilmer, I want to go on your next road trip with you!

Big loves Undies. Xx
Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Gosh some good words this morning. How bout that Preakness!? I'm so excited! Maybe we'll have a triple crown winner from good old California!! (Can you guess whose from California?)

Toots, it was good to see your poetry again. You haven't lost your muse, it just has a mind of it's own.

Tanja (sp?). I'm finally up to speed I that you suffer from insomnia. I, alas, do also. Come over to the sober limerick thread and try your hand at writing verse when sleep eludes. You might be surprised at what comes out. And it passes the time. It can be very engrossing. The support over there is warm and friendly and you can really pour your heart out.

To all of you dears, please have a nice Sunday. Ahhhh, spring is finally here! Makes me feel better
Old 05-18-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thumbs up

"Girls! You must stop this incessant whining or mamma is going to lock herself in the cludgie!"...

..."What?"

That will stop them Thanks for the laugh Toots. I now have a favorite *new* word. Cannot wait to use it.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

DG congrats!! and gettin everything ready for the car sounds like a good plan!

Carlos thanks for the history behind the drink. I love Arnold palmers and knew he was a golfer but didn't know the relation between him and the drink and how it got his name.

GF awesome pic of the firework. Sounds like you're having a blast!

I played tons of sports from the age of 5 thru 15 I surfed, skated, snowboarded, tennis, basketball ,volleyball, softball, rode horses, soccer. These days I still cruise around on my skateboard some but that's about it. All of the activities slowly disappeared when I started drinking.

Woke up about 6am and hit Starbucks with my dog. Then I checked out a trail with my dog that I've never hiked just around the corner from my house and ended with some soccer at the park. There were so,e really nice views up on the trail of the ocean. It's up along the hills of my city called the ridge line trail. I was worried I was going to run into some coyotes which are a constant problem around here but luckily I didn't. In face the coyotes are so bad that there's an area around the corner where they literally wait and charge out the bushes when I person goes by with their dog. I had 2 people I know who the coyote literally ripped the dog out of their arms!!!! And then to hear a person in the next neighborhood over is feeding the coyotes really pissed me off.
Home now and treated my dog to a yak milk bone (. Her favorite) .. Def not spoiled at all lol!! Grateful to be sober and explore my town with my dog by my side just enjoying nature!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'm taking a nice break from garage cleaning to check in.

LTV - when my boys were little, and I was home with them all day long, and the only door that locked was the "cludgie," that's exactly where you'd find me taking a break.

DG - that cooler sounds like a huge undertaking. You better not let Carlos catch wind of your handiness or else he is going to put you to work on his house renovations. Oh you can tease him by hosting undies retreats in his house - and forgetting to take pictures.

Toots - You have the greatest advice, and are always honest, so if you say I'm making progress, I believe it.

BF - coyotes are a big problem where I live too. I know of someone who was walking their dog in their suburban development only to have it ripped away by a coyote.

Gilmer - Today is another diet day 1 for me. I had coffee for breakfast. For lunch, raw spinach with flank steak, cucumbers and tomatoes, topped with apple cider vinegar. I read somewhere that apple cider vinegar helps kill off the belly baddies that unhealthy eating, particularly sugars, leaves in its wake. Being that I had BBQ potato chips for dinner last night, I'm pretty sure there were lots of baddies camped out. I can't bring myself to drink acv in my tea, although I know that people do, but I CAN live with it as a salad dressing.

I can tell you this, for sure. Eating too much junk ramps up my physical and mental malaise. Today I'm taking solace in the sunshine instead of the sweets.

Well the birds nest is removed, and hubby is sourcing materials to cover the woodpecker holes as well as something dangly and sparkly to scare it/them from coming back.

I am finding more internal motivation with each passing week, but I live in my head more than is advisable. Then this morning I read this little gem in The Language of Letting Go: "Abandoning our life or routines contributes to the problem and delays us from finding the solution. Frequently, the solution comes when we let go enough to live our life, return to our routine, and stop obsessing about the problem."

And with that I go back to cleaning the garage!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Just wanted to prove to all of you BL's on this thread that I am fully in touch with my feminine side.

I am now the proud owner of the below pictured "girl's" mountain bike. I had four of five options ranging from new for $350 tax included on a $495 bike, to $75 on a men's mountain bike, but an hour away. One last check this morning on Craigslist and I see my new baby doll, on sale about 4 miles from me, in the same lake development. CRAZY. This dude was 80 yrs old and totally fit from jogging and biking. It was his wife's bike and she is about to undergo a knee replacement. Anyway, he drove a hard bargain, asking $95, rejecting my offer of $75, saying he will get the full amount easily. So I say that I only have $90 (which is true), it's cash, and 4 feet from his hand. Done deal!

BF, as crazy as it is, they lived on Arnold Palmer drive on the local golf course. My avatar is taken at that course.

Rides like a dream!!!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...1&d=1400440612

Else, because of the additional distance in the Belmont Stakes, my early prediction is Ride on Curlin-first, Social Inclusion-second and Calif Chrome to show-third place. No triple crown. Then again, I have been wrong more the a few time at betting the ponies.

DG, you would love it here. We can exchange more info as fall arrives. I won't forget or ever rescind. Hey, that cooler sounds cool. Since I need to run a dehumidifier like full time in the summer, I don't think it would work here. I have never heard of that. Congrats on the weedless time and the new wheels!!

Hope everyone is having a great day!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00l0l_bilZJnrnvXI_600x450.jpg (50.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-18-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Carlos congrats on the bike! Digging the pink rose color, I know you'll be rockin it around town!

Toots needle is still going. The manufacturer suggests it will last about 1,000 hrs!

GL I lost one of my dachshunds 8yrs ago when I coyote stuck it's head thre my rot iron fence and grabbed her. Scary thing is how they arnt afraid of people at all anymore around here or the bigger dogs
Old 05-18-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Carlos, Social Inclusion uses up too much energy! Did you see how lathered he was even before he got in the starting gate? Ride on curling? Could be a contender. California Crome is a fine looking horse in my humble opinion and is going to make it. Wowee! I love the ponies, too. If I had money to burn you can bet I'd have a racehorse! Love the races!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Else, you bring up a good point. SI was all lathered up, which was has been his demise in a couple races now. I was lucky and won $231 yesterday, so I will have some bucks to risk on that race that are not mine. We need to discuss this in more detail the day of the race and put some wagers on your hunches. I will make you a partner in a few bets based on your knowledge of horses, no cash necessary. I like trifecta's best, but we could play the a daily double, exacta and super too. Get that research hat out!

Thanks, BF. Lovin my new bike!

Courage, how are you doing today?
Old 05-18-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Nice wheels Carlos.

I like the Arnold Palmer coincidences..... Early in my time on SR, not like I'm an old timer, but anyway, a fellow on my quit class shared a parable that he related to alcoholism about a person who is walking along a path that comes to a river. A scorpion offers them a ride across, and the person says, "But you're a scorpion. You'll bite me. That won't be safe." The scorpion promises not to bite. So the person, although a little uncertain, accepts the ride. As they're swimming along, the scorpion turns around and bites the person. The person says, "Hey! You said you wouldn't bite me!" The scorpion says, "Yeah, but I'm a scorpion. That's what I do."

It was really early on, my cravings were strong, and my AV was working hard to convince me that I needed to drink, and I was "fighting the scorpion." It was a nifty coincidence to me at first because it's my sign of the zodiac. Suddenly, all these images of scorpions came into my life. Deep in early recovery I had to go to a school event where my 9 year old's research paper about scorpions was displayed... On my 5 mile commute to work, I saw a giant truck for the Scorpion Fastener company.... I do so enjoy these types of coincidences!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

GF. I love that kind of thing, too! It makes me happy for some reason to notice things like that. Like there's more to the world than meets the eye.